Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)

Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror 0.5)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  66 reviews
"Fallen from Grace" is a bonus Dark Mirror short story, from author M.J. Putney.

Allarde, a gorgeous, wealthy noble, has hidden his true nature. In "Fallen from Grace," delve into Allarde's diary and read about his life at the exclusive school Eton, the discovery of his magic, and his sudden fall from grace. Will Allarde be disinherited from his family estate? How will he s...more
Published March 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fallen from Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen from Grace

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
162nd out of 458 books — 910 voters
Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckConstructing Marcus by Danielle DeVorCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareJessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
Best teen fantasy romance
46th out of 47 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie Stout
Allarde certainly wasn't my favorite character from Dark Mirror, so I was disappointed to discover that this short story followed him instead of someone like Jack or Cynthia, both of which I found really interesting. I was also expecting this to be a bit longer, more like "Winter's Passage," by Julie Kagawa or "The Strange Case of Finley Jayne" by Kady Cross (both free short stories for series).

The story is told through Allarde's journal entries and follows his "fall from grace," so to speak. I...more
Aimeekay

So Fallen From Grace was another short story I picked up. Even though it wasn't exactly what I was expecting I think it was definitely worth picking up.
The entire novella is in the form of diary entries written by Allarde, the main character. He was likeable and interesting. While I think the story did a decent job of introducing him, it's length prevented me from becoming absolutely obsessed. But I think that only served to encourage me to want to read the actual book series that the novella is...more
Virginia
A bit too modern in the thinking, but it was an ok addition to the series. (After all, this is only a bonus section). I do like Allarde so I was glad for a brief glimpse into his mind.
Lisette Sanchez
Really enjoyed reading this short story!

Like all the other books I've read by her, this one really didn't let me look away. Because it was in a diary format, I felt closer to the character, especially when he mentioned the journal had a spell on it so people couldn't just read it. Because this is set rather early (considering her other books characters are already grown and maybe even courting within the first two to three chapters), there's an innocence to it that I really enjoyed because it f...more
Maria
This short story is told as excerpts from one of the main characters in the Dark Mirror trilogy, Justin Allarde. It is also meant to serve as a short prequel/introduction to the series by offering an explanation and insight into Allarde's character.

This short story only gets a three star rating from me for a variety of reasons. First, it doesn't really offer anything that can't already be garnered from Dark Mirror: Allarde comes from a family that loves him, but they fully expect him to complete...more
Cathy  Keaton
In this short story prequel to the Dark Mirror novel series, we read the diary of Allarde, an English aristocrat with secret magical abilities. At first, he is attending England's finest boarding school, but he reveals his abilities in order to save a fellow student from harm. Because he is an aristocrat with magic, not just a commoner, he is considered evil and has to be ousted from all good society.

His father sends him to a reform school for aristocrats where he learns how to suppress his magi...more
Mirely
Goodreads Says: Fallen From Grace A Bonus Dark Mirror Short Story

Allarde, a gorgeous, wealthy noble has hidden his true nature. Discover his diary and witness his sudden fall from grace.

I think this was more of a 3.5 for me.

This is a short story where we meet Allarde, a young aristocrat who will inherit his father's land and title one day until he finds out he has already inherited magical genes. To be of status and have magic is taboo in the in 1800 England. Any person found out will have to...more
Kelly
Intriguing, but I felt like my understanding of what was going on would have benefited from a little more backstory. While this is admittedly a very short story and there wasn't a lot of time for all sorts of crazy exposition, I was a bit confused as to why magic was so looked down upon by the nobility.

I did like the journal-style entries and the glimpses it gave us into the character of Allarde. I thought the secondary characters were interesting. I think the covers for books 1 and 2 are gorgeo...more
Alexandra  Harris
So this is a SUPER short story and tells you a little bit more about Allarde. I didn't read this until after I finished the series and I wish I had though I don't think that if I had started with it I would have read the series, because the other books are SO much better.

Allarade is one of the main character in this series and a major swoon worthy guy. He has trial and tribulations like anyone but is mysterious and tends to keep to himself through out the series only letting you in a bit at a t...more
Tresa da BookNerdette
Tiffany Molloy
I'm not so sure I liked how short it was to have to buy another book. the writing was good and story line great. I like the idea. bow on to the next one
Shelley
Having not read any other books in this series, I found this to be a good novella.
Jaime the Wizzard
I haven't read "Dark Mirror", but after reading this short story I want to. I’m a sucker for historical English mages (Sorcery & Ceceila, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, the Bartimaeus trilogy, etc…) and this story makes the world very intriguing to me. The writing was good, the characters were developed, and the story that was told was very good. Obviously it doesn’t tell the whole story, they want you to read “Dark Mirror” for that, but it was a very good introduction into the world the...more
Kayonna Barker
Nobility or magic

A 1st person perspective and short story about having to make a choice between magic or nobility. Your family and honor or your magical abilities and power. Which path should you take? This short story definitely sparks interests for the actual books.
Elisquared
In Dark Mirror we meet the mysterious and handsome (I know that's cliche but he really is!) Marquis of Allarde, the heir to a vast estate, but only if he denies his magic and marries a non-magic woman. In "Fallen from Grace" we find out what happened to Allarde to have made him expose himself and how he really feels about being sent to Lackland Abbey. This is a great addition to the Dark Mirror world and really gives more insight to Allarde's character.
Mar
This was a good short story leaving you ready for Dark Mirror. It's written in the form of diary entries and it's interesting and captivates you leaving you wanting more. You get a good prospective of Allarde and what he is going through. It also gives you a good orientation of where the book is going, the main setting and the situation in England when it comes to mages. Overall it was a great way to get your interest going and preparing you for Dark Mirror.
This is just a short story in diary form from the point of view of Allarde from Dar Mirror. It starts before the beginning of Dark Mirror and ends overlapping into the beginning of it. It wasn't bad and did give some insight into Allarde's character, but it didn't grab my attention. If I hadn't already known who he was from reading Dark Mirror first, I proably wouldn't have cared.

Note: Picked up as a freebie from B&N
ephrielle
This cover is way to pretty to be a novella. Not nearly enough people will get to admire it. Though at the same time this level of darkness is not what I would associate with Allarde. He seems to be such a bright star in the books.

Really liked seeing inside Allarde's head. It was great to get some back story and helped me better understand his choices. I liked that it starts and ends the same. Very funny.
Tracy
It was very boring at first because all this guy talked about was his magic and how he was "doomed" because he got kicked out of his non magical school. Then it got a little bit better when his mom told him she had magic in her family and sent him to a magic school and he met a pretty girl.. then he was "doomed" again.. I might read the book "Dark Mirror" Hopefully it'll be so much better than this.
Cindy
Mar 31, 2011 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Although this was a short story, I was dragged right in and it left me wanting more (but in a good way!) This is about a teenage boy in England in the early 1800s that is sent to a type of reformatory school. It's written in journal-entry form, but it's not distracting.

I loved that the first chapter of Dark Mirror was included. I will definitely be reading it based on this story.
Emmie Cooper
Mar 27, 2012 Emmie Cooper added it
Recommends it for: Samantha, Erin and Nicola
This was a free teaser short story for Dark Mirror. It follows a young man, Allarde to an exclusive school in England where we follow his stay through his diary’s entries. He can’t risk being thrown out of school and possibly lose a noble title if being found out he is a mageling or have magic abilities. It’s an intriguing short story. I’ll probably give Dark Mirror a try.
Avigail
I think it was a rather short read. But it was an effective one from the point of view of a reader who have not yet read the Dark Mirror since this made me decide to put the Dark Mirror in my to-be-read list. The premise was really interesting and the preview made me really curious. The lower rating came from the fact that, I reiterate, it was a rather short read.
Hyacinth
I enjoyed the short magical read. Again, what stood out to me was how people that are "different" are treated...I look forward to reading more.
Lucy
This Dark Mirror bonus short story shares the character Allarde's story as told through diary entries. It was interesting to learn more about him and get some insight into his character. This story can be read by anyone - you don't need to read Dark Mirror first. Following the story are the first two chapters of Dark Mirror.
MsBDiamondDiva1
This authors writing pulls you in and makes you want more. The first part of the story is written in a journal setting and helps you understand what Allarde is feeling about coming into his magic. I will defiantly have to pick up this series, I love fiction writing in the 1800 (earlier times); and this one seems "yummy"!!!
Michelle Gerber
maybe it's too soon to give that rating, but I can't get past the first 5 pages -they just will not hold my interest, not even slightly... after reading 5 pages I know no more than I did before I picked up the book -it fell into the same category as textbooks, for me... the information left me as I was reading it!
Brenda
Interesting insight into the character of Allarde through his own journal entries. I enjoyed learning about him and his feelings about being a mage, his life at school, being invited into the Irregulars, and meeting Victoria. Nice companion piece to The Dark Mirror.
Ruthie Jones
Fallen from Grace is listed as a short story, but it reads as an "extra" or something like that to the main book. This itty bitty story was free on my Nook Color, so I'm not unhappy with it. I'm not sure if I will read the Dark Mirror, but it might be fun.
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Cat Calls
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • The Duchess's Tattoo: Thoughts on THE AMERICAN HEIRESS
  • Turned at Dark (Shadow Falls, #0.5)
  • Heart of the Sea: An Others Bonus Story (The Others, #10.5)
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • Linger
  • Witches 101: A Witches of East End Primer
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Countdown
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror, #1) Dark Passage (Dark Mirror, #2) Dark Destiny (Dark Mirror, #3) Stolen Magic (Guardians, #2)