Start by marking “Turned at Dark (Shadow Falls, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Turned at Dark (Shadow Falls, #0.5)

Turned at Dark (Shadow Falls 0.5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  5,500 ratings  ·  277 reviews
Independent and strong-willed Della Tsang did not believe in ghosts, until she sees her dead cousin in a dark alley. She did not believe in vampires, until she turns into one. Should she follow her vampire cousin's lead and walk away from everything she knows, or join Shadow Falls, a camp for special teens?

This short story from C.C. Hunter gives readers a look into Della's
Published March 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published March 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Turned at Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turned at Dark

In Born at Midnight we meet Della Tsang, Kylie Galen’s vampire roommate at Shadow Falls camp. But Della wasn’t always a vampire. This is her story.

Turned at Dark is a quick, fun and at times humorous short story about how Della became a vampire and how she ended up at Shadow Falls. It is a prequel to the full length book, Born at Midnight, which will be releasing in two weeks.

This is a great way to introduce this new series, get a feel for the author’s writing style and meet one of the more i
Alex Bennett
Having already read and quite enjoyed Born at Midnight, the first book in the Shadow Falls series, I thought I knew what I was getting into when I started Turned at Dark, a prequel short story to the Shadow Falls series. But really I had no idea.

Turned at Dark tells the story of Della and her transformation from Asian American teen, under a tremendous amount of pressure from her pride-stricken father to bloodsucking vampire. I really enjoyed the realistic issues Della faced before her transforma
4 Stars for this Novella and Pre-Story forBorn at Midnight !

The perfect start in this series since it tells the story about Kylie's newfound best girlfriend Della and how she became a Vampire. Perfect to get in the mood, or if you are already read BaM and are now waiting anxiously for Awake at Dawn...

Woops, and did I mention it is a free download?? ;)
Please, dear Lord, let the first book of this series be as good as this prequel novella was. Let the supernatural elements continue to flourish and have the characters be able to fully develop. Make the story interesting and have the settings put me in the mood, like I'm in the novel myself. Amen.
Veronica Morfi
This a short story in the world of Born at Midnight.

We follow Della Tsang through her transformation into a vampire and her introduction to the worlds darkest creatures. Werewolfs, faes, shape-shifters, vampires, they are all there. The story was short and simple and after it I started reading the first few chapters of Born at Midnight, only to realise that the fear I had was true.

These series isn't really for me. Maybe in the future I'll give it a shot, but not now...
Originally posted at: Girl about Books

I was thrilled when I found out that C.C. Hunter’s Born At Midnight, one of my anticipated reads for this year, has a prequel and it's available up on the publisher’s site and we can all read it for free! So I went there in a heartbeat and read it.

Turned At Dark is a quick-read yet it includes ideas and glimpses on what to expect on Born At Midnight. I really enjoyed Della as a character and I also like the fact that she was actually a human first. I thoug
Mandy Sickle
Turned at Dark is a short novella/prequel to the exciting Shadow Falls series. It’s about 32 pages so I don’t want to give too much away. This novella is the story of how Della went from carrier to vampire in one wild night. She encounters someone she thought was dead who changes her life unintentionally turning her into a vampire. She will be forced to choose between faking her death or heading off to Shadow Falls. The choice is up to her and she’s running out of time.

I actually read the first
Heidi McLaughlin
Turned at Dark is a novella for the Shadow Falls Series. Last week I gave you a bit of insight to Kylie’s friend, Della. Well this is all about Della!

Della is such a character. The moment I read about her in Born at Midnight, I knew I’d enjoy her. So when I found out she had her own novella, I couldn’t wait to read it.

Della is the resident vampire at Shadow Falls summer camp and like others. She’s learning where she fits into the world now that she’s been turned. Now Della wasn’t bitten, so ther
Kayla Edwards
Finally got to this one! I honestly don't know how I managed to go this long without reading this chapter in the Shadow Falls world - especially since I'm obessessed with it! This was a really nice glimpse into Della's life before and during the change; it explains a lot about her family issues. My sole complaint is that this novella/short story was entirely too short.
Cherese A. Vines
Aug 23, 2013 Cherese A. Vines rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new take on vampires
Della thinks she sees her dead cousin run into an alley. Rather than run the other way, she investigates. What investigation ever had a good ending that began with the sighting of a supposedly dead relative running into a dark alley? Exactly. Now Della has big problems.

I liked this short story. It was a fresh take on the genre. I liked the inner turmoil of Della's character. Finally someone who doesn't see the glamour of vampires. There was a lot of character development packed into this short s
That was a short story about Della Tsang, a normal girl who was turned to a vampire and introduced to a world that she never know it's exists. Nothing special about her before her cousin's dead: she had a human boyfriend and a severe father. But after two years from the moment when she saw her cousin's grave covering with soil, she saw his shadow after the corner. She was bleeding when met him - and that wasn't a good point.
It was awesome to see the world through Della's eyes - the human Della,
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
Cette nouvelle assez courte se déroule quelques semaines avant l’arrivée de Kylie à Shadow Falls et décrit la transformation quelque peu difficile de Della. Je suis heureuse d’en apprendre plus sur un de mes personnages favoris de la série et de connaitre enfin la vérité sur sa transformation et arrivée au camp.

Della semble être une jeune fille droite, froide qui a bien trop de fierté pour se dévoiler et pourtant elle semble se lâcher avec Lee, celui qui semble être l’homme de sa vie. Puis manqu
This is the side story I've been looking for since I first started reading this series, and I must say I was disappointed. I mean, I also had high hopes, super high hopes, so that's probably why, but I just think it could have been so much more than it was. This was a chance to really show us who Chan was and how his character acts, but we got so little of him, all we know is that he's Della's cousin, he's a vampire, he faked his death, and he helped her through the turn. That's what we already ...more
Contemporary, Paranormal, Young Adult

Della Tsang is strong-willed and independent and she most certainly didn’t believe in ghosts. At least she didn’t until she sees her dead cousin in a dark alley. Della also didn’t believe in vampires until she became one. Now she has to decide if she should follow her cousin and leave everything she knows or go to Shadow Falls a camp for special teens.

This is great short story that adds to the overall story plot of the Shadow Falls series. It is short a
Athena Herondale
I thought this was really good but the best park is that it was free!! In Turned at Dark, you get to really know what happened between Della and her brother. I don't want to spoil it. But if you have read born at midnight or if you haven't started yet, this is a great way to learn more in depth things about della, who is a character who really plays a part in this book. :)

Read it!
This is a short story from the Shadow Falls series.
This gives the expanded background story on Della, and how she ended up at the camp. It's nothing vital, considering she explains what happened to her in the first book. However, it was short and free. So, definitely not a bad thing if you want to kill ten minutes.
Tatiana Osorio
Yo, independiente y fuerte, Della Tsang, no creía en fantasmas hasta que vi a mi primo muerto en las sombras de un callejón. Ella no creía en los vampiros, hasta que en la oscuridad de esa misma noche ella se convierte en uno. Dentro de un extraño mundo de seres sobrenaturales, ella lucha para aceptar esta nueva realidad. Por desgracia, el chico que ama siente algo diferente por ella y no la puede aceptar. En caso de que siga su primo vampiro ¿todo lo que ella conoce y ama podria perderl
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This was a great start to the series. It gave me a great feel for the author's writing and (hopefully) for the world that she created.

I look forward to reading the first book in the series.
This was a good short story that tells about how Della became a vampire.

Independent and strong-willed Della Tsang hadn't believed in ghosts until she saw her dead cousin darting into the shadows of an alley. She hadn't believed in vampires until in the dark of that same night she is turned into one. Introduced to a strange world of supernaturals, she struggles to accept this new reality. Unfortunately, the boy she loves senses something different about her and can't accept her. Should she follo
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
I really enjoyed reading about Della. You can feel the dilemma inside of her as she goes through it. I'm glad we had this ebook to tell us a bit about Della's history.
Dec 29, 2013 Thalia rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Shadow Falls
Read the review on my blog:
LOVE this series. It is by far the best series I've ever read!
The Shadow Falls series is one of my all time favourite series, I'm on the 'Street Team' for the series to help promote it, It's just one of those series that captures your heart and mind.
I downloaded this short story a while ago and was really excited to read it, but I had to finish the book I was reading then it ended up in my 'pile'. If you watched my TBR video I posted yesterday, I went through everything I had and I saw this listed. As it was only 32 pages I decided to dive in.
C.C Hunters
Ariel Avalon
Della Tsang is strong-willed, thick-headed, and independent. She is trying to live up to her Chinese father’s high expectations of her while still being her own person and not disappointing herself. Logically, she knows ghosts don’t exist, at least until she sees the cousin whose funeral she attended the year before running into a dark alley. When she follows him, she finds herself in the middle of a gang-war, and Chen, her cousin, saves her. Unknowingly, he also turns her. Chen is a vampire, an ...more
Cathy  Keaton
This is a prequel short story to the Shadow Falls novel series, starring Della Tsang, who is the roommate of the title character in the series, Kylie Galen. This is the story of how this friend was changed from a normal half-Chinese-half-Caucasian teenager into a vampire. As far as these prequels go, I thought it was pretty good. It's a decent length, and most of my Kindle file was the actual short story, not the preview for Born at Midnight.

I haven't read Born at Midnight, so reading this free
Kristina (Gone Pecan)
Our review can also be found at:

Source: ebook purchased

Story Breakdown:

After attending a party, Della is attacked and injured. She is saved by her cousin. . . who is supposed to be dead. Della learns that he is a vampire and that she isn’t so normal herself, or even as human as she would like to think.

Character Highlights:

Della - I believe Della will be a secondary character in the rest of the Shadow Falls series if the blurbs I’ve read are correct (I dou
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books
In Born at Midnight we meet Della Tsang, Kylie Galen's vampire roommate at Shadow Falls camp. But Della wasn't always a vampire. This is her story.

This is a great way to introduce this new series, to get a feel for the author's writing style and meet one of the more interesting characters from Born at Midn
Comme c’est généralement le cas avec les nouvelles préquelles, elles ne me laissent pas un souvenir impérissable (ou à l’exception de My Soul to Lose de Rachel Vincent). Celle-ci ne déroge pas à la règle mais elle est très agréable à lire et nous pose quelques bases du monde de Nés à minuit.
On suit Della, une jeune fille asiatique qu’on dit obstinée, et dont le père n’aime pas les signes de faiblesse. Je crois que ce second point la caractérise mieux que le premier. En attendant son petit ami (a

This is perfect short story for fans of the Shadow Falls series, with one of my favourite characters, Della being featured I could not resist. That cover just sums up Della straight away, she is edgy, stands for nothing and is a creature of darkness... a vampire.

In the Shadow Falls series you only catch little bits of information to do with Della's past, however you never catch the whole story. We know that she meets her 'dead' cousin and her boyfriend rejects her because of what she has beco
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Original Review posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts

As you may know from reading Born at Midnight, the first book of the Shadow Falls series, Della Tsang is Kylie Galen's Vampire friend. Here, we learn how Della was turned into a vampire and how she came about Shadow Falls. We also go into a bit more depth of Della's life before Shadow Falls and a brief history about Supernaturals. Warning though: like Forgotten Lyrics by Amanda Hocking (which I'm currently reading), it's a quick read. Actually, even
Fun Reads & RoleP...: Turned at Dark 1 3 Apr 03, 2013 08:10PM
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Cat Calls
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)
  • Shadow Days (Nightshade, #0.5)
  • Divided (Darkest Powers, #1.5)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • The Book of Faeyore (Frost, #0.5)
C.C. Hunter grew up in Alabama, where she caught lightning bugs, ran barefoot, and regularly rescued potential princes, in the form of Alabama bullfrogs, from her brothers. Today, she's still fascinated with lightning bugs, mostly wears shoes, but has turned her focus to rescuing mammals. She now lives in Texas with her four rescued cats, one dog, and a prince of a husband, who for the record, is ...more
More about C.C. Hunter...

Shadow Falls (5 books)
  • Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)
  • Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls, #5)