Start by marking “Wer hat Angst vor Virginia Woolf...?” as Want to Read:
Wer hat Angst vor Virginia Woolf...?

Wer hat Angst vor Virginia Woolf...?

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  45,975 Ratings  ·  1,061 Reviews
Der Titel klingt heiter und wie eine bloße Variante des Kinderliedes ›Wer hat Angst vor dem bösen Wolf?‹ Aber hinter dieser scheinbaren Harmlosigkeit verbirgt sich das Chaos menschlicher Beziehungen. Schauplatz des Dramas ist eine Wohnung, in der sich zwei Ehepaare nach einer Party treffen. Man vertreibt sich die Zeit mit Gesellschaftsspielen, die zum Anlaß der Selbstentbl ...more
Published 1994 by Fischer (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Wer hat Angst vor Virginia Woolf...?, please sign up.

Snigdha Jayakrishnan Not at all. Virginia Woolf,the writer has nothing to do with this.I think the title is supposed to be an inside joke.

Trevor
Jun 28, 2009 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 26, 2017 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fiction
I don't often read plays but I absolutely loved Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? for its cinematic, almost comedic style, it's colourful characters and its timelessness. Definitely a classic that everyone should read.
Hadrian
Oct 01, 2015 Hadrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, plays, fiction
I finally saw this the other night. It was fun to watch, although by 'fun' I often mean painful and awkward. This is a long social faux pas taken to its most uncomfortable extreme, and I often had to look down just from being so embarrassed at watching what was happening.

(view spoiler)
Jun 28, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, theater buffs, fans of dysfunctional relationships
This is, in my opinion, the best play ever written in the 20th century. There's also a great story about how this was the first drama rejected by the Pulitzer Prize committee for "obscenity" (you may have a hard time finding the obscenity in it, though, since it's from 1962). It's basically about two married couples who hang out in the wee hours of the morning following a party on a college campus in New England, but the interesting part is the way one couple tries to screw with the other's mind ...more
Maxwell
Feb 06, 2015 Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, drama, 2015
Holy smokes, this was hard to put down. It's riveting, a little vile, and dramatic to say the least. I'm so excited to talk about it in class this week. I'll probably come back and review it more properly then. Needless to say, this was excellent.
El
May 05, 2012 El rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This falls under that category labelled AWKWARD SOCIAL GATHERING.

You ever been to a party where the host and hostess get totally hammered and spend the rest of the evening humiliating each other? If you haven't, I don't believe you, number one, and number two, you're a lucky bastard. It's awkward and uncomfortable and lemme tell you, it's not much better if you're the drunken host and hostess either. No one's having a good time, no matter how much liquor is consumed, keep that in mind.

The theate
Kat Kennedy
This play is so fucked. I don't know whether it's genius or madness. Probably both.
Pooya Kiani
چه کسی از ویرجینیا وولف میترسد؟

حجم دیالوگها بالاتر از کشش متن بود. یعنی، با اینکه همهی دیالوگها در خدمت متنه، اما همهی متن دیالوگه، ناگفتهها دائم توی دیالوگها گفته میشن، هیچ نفسکشی برای مخاطب نیست، و این نفس نکشیدن در خدمت فرم نیست. به خاطر همین نقص، شاهکار ابدی نمیشه دونستش. اما حتما باید خوندش.
Beatrix
I think I'm still processing, but WOW!

"We all peel labels, sweetie; and when you get through the skin, all three layers, through the muscle, slosh aside the organs [...] and get down to bone...you know what you do then?
[...] When you get down to bone, you haven't got all the way, yet. There's something inside the bone...the marrow...and that's what you gotta get at.”
Ahmad Sharabiani
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?=Wer hat Angst vor Virginia Woolf?, Edward Albee
عنوان: چه کسی از ویرجینیا وولف میترسد؟؛ نویسنده: ادوارد آلبی؛ مترجم: عبدالرضا حریری؛ تهران، بی نا، 1356، در 19 و 181 ص؛ موضوع: نمایشنامه های نویسندگان امریکایی قرن 20 م

عنوان: چه کسی از ویرجینیا وولف میترسد؟؛ نویسنده: ادوارد آلبی؛ مترجم: سیامک گلشیری؛ تهران، قصیده سرا، 1384، در 180 ص؛ شابک: 9648706069؛ ترجمه از متن آلمانی؛ موضوع: نمایشنامه های نویسندگان امریکایی قرن 20 م

Casey
May 09, 2007 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adults
This play makes me squirm with discomfort every time I read it. My mother raised me to be so conscious of manners that I'm practically Southern.

Even though George and Martha are just horrible, I can't help cackle at some of the insults they sling. When Martha says that George doesn't have "the stuff," my English Major heart is made happy. It's a totally perfect slam.

And who could not admire Albee's daring in using the term "monkey nipples"?
Greta tra le righe
"Chi ha paura di Virginia Woolf?" è un viaggio all'inferno. Un inferno fatto di odio che spurga da ferite vecchissime, un inferno di cattiveria e follia e perdita di ogni ritegno.
Quando si legge una sceneggiatura di un'opera teatrale l'esperienza è sempre, per forza di cose, parziale e incompleta, limitata e limitante, eppure questo è uno dei casi in cui ho sentito proprio poco la mancanza della controparte scenica. O forse dovrei dire che l'impianto dialettico è di per sé così catalizzante e fo
Jill
Aug 16, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jill by: Brandon Wicke
Picture the most awkward couple conversation you've ever had to witness. You know -- an argument on the day of their wedding; boozy, passive-aggressive comments that get called out; eye rolling and mutters; all that. Then multiply it by a million. Add some bipolar disorder/delusion/daddy issues/mommy issues/general emotional turmoil. That approaches -- approaches -- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Plays are such a distinct medium. Just in the diction and grammar, I find you can always tell when y
Maria
Mar 16, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was… intense.

I am not sure whether the relationship between Martha and George is highly dysfunctional or highly functional. They seem to live in a world of their own, a world that plays by their rules and not the other way around.

The presence of an audience, Honey and Nick, seems to only bring up either their worst or their best, depending on the point of view. As their games go on, instead of exposing themselves (how does one expose oneself when one already lives outside oneself?), Marth
Ted Wenskus
Mar 15, 2011 Ted Wenskus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm admittedly a little biased as I played Nick in a production of this, but Edward Albee is one of the truly great playwrights of the 20th century and this is one of his masterpieces. This unflinching look at living life without illusion is embodied in three acts that progress almost in real time through the course of an unforgettable evening of "fun and games." In fact, it is one of the most important evenings in these four characters' lives for reasons which I won't spoil here...

Is there a lo
Beth
Jul 12, 2007 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The central theme of this play is living without pretense. It involves 4 characters (and you will hate each of them) who berate each other through three acts. People have always raved to me about it, but I must admit that I can't understand why - rather than being emotionally jarred and on-edge, I felt bored and irritated. Every character is so villianized that there is no "heart" to the play, not a single character one can relate to. It's an interesting piece of literature, but it's definitely ...more
Cathy (cathepsut)
RIP, Edward Albee! Thank you for a brilliant play, that led to an equally brilliant movie.

Faye
Read: October 2016

Rating: 2/5 stars

The play covers one late night encounter between two couples who on the surface of things couldn't be more different. George and Martha are older, middle-aged and with horrible, bitter feelings towards each other. They are so spiteful and hateful but I think the behaviour portrayed seems realistic for a long term, unhappy marriage. They are co-dependant and miserable yet don't do anything to change their lives or marriage for the better.

The younger couple are n
Yara (The Narratologist)
Apr 13, 2014 Yara (The Narratologist) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
The first time I saw Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? was a few months ago and when I sat down in the theatre I had no idea what to expect. All I knew was that it is a famous play and that I thought the title was funny. After the first ten minutes or so I thought I had it all figured out: it was a comedy of manners about a loud wife and her grumpy husband. I settled in for a night of easy laughs, maybe a bit of slapstick along the way. Little did I know that by the time the first act was over, th ...more
Lia Jacobson
Mar 05, 2011 Lia Jacobson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Back and forth, back and forth, a husband and wife bicker. They bicker about each other. They bicker about their son. They bicker about the company. Back and forth, back and forth. If you like watching verbal arguments take place for hours at a time (more than hours, in book form), then this is the play novelette for you.
SPOILER:
It wasn't so much the characters that bothered me, or why they were arguing, it was just the arguing itself. It seems this entire play is based on people picking away at
Leslie
Feb 17, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
4.5* This play about a dysfunctional couple reads almost as well as it plays on stage. I have seen the film version with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton (more than once) & I kept hearing their voices while I was reading.
Nikoline
Mar 25, 2012 Nikoline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of theater, or fans of dysfunctional tales
Recommended to Nikoline by: read for uni
"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" by Edward Albee is a twisted play about a madness lurking in the shadows of a simple home and its family. It gradually takes its hold on these people, spreading through out to the two guests Nick and Honey who try no to get involved in George and Martha's private hell of a marriage gone wrong. It was so disturbing I felt embarrassed and awkward while reading it, and that makes it indeed a good read.

“Martha: Truth or illusion, George; you don't know the differen
Sketchbook
---"What a dump!" Thus begins a most entertaining Albeography. The language shocked prissy critics in the early 60s. There's a lot of drinking, shrieking and insulting. Another play in which 2 couples snarl at each other and you wonder why someone doesn't say, "OK, we're going home!" But, if this was said, there's be no play.
Eleonora
Isterico. Tutto è isterico. La trama, i dialoghi, ma soprattutto i personaggi. Mi hanno messo tanta ansia addosso, una cosa incredibile. Ho percepito ogni sfumatura e ogni sbalzo d'umore. E' una sceneggiatura, sì, le descrizioni sono ovviamente poche, ma Albee è riuscito a trasmettermi tutto.
La lettura è scorrevole, strana il più delle volte e davvero drammatica.
Ana Rînceanu
This is the most funny, blood curling couple in history. The tension in this play is incredible and the moments of tenderness mixed with disgust and fear really drain you of all energy by the end, yet surprisingly leave some hope. Don't ask me why, I find it odd too. Maybe Albee is just that good.
Daniela
Mar 09, 2015 Daniela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
That was weird...
Pink
Dec 07, 2016 Pink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this a lot! Very dark, very funny and a must watch with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton as well.
Kate
Apr 10, 2017 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What just happened?
Andriana Sakka
Feb 27, 2013 Andriana Sakka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Διαβάζοντας κανείς το έργο αυτό αρχικά του φαίνεται παράξενο,ωμό, διεστραμένο εώς και χυδαίο θα έλεγα και αυτό όχι μόνο εξαιτίας των λέξεων-φράσεων που χρησιμοποιεί ο Άλμπι, αλλά και των σκηνών που διαδραματίζονται. Τελειώνει κανείς το έργο και ακόμα απορεί τι είδους τρέλα είναι αυτή που διακατείχε τα δύο αυτά ζευγάρια (κυρίως το πρώτο, τους οικοδεσπότες)και τι θέλει να πει αυτός ο μυστηριώδης τίτλος του "Ποιός φοβάται τη Βιρτζίνια Γουλφ" και τι σχέση έχει η Βιρτζίνια Γουλφ;
Ύστερα απο το διάβ
Lina Baker
Mar 25, 2013 Lina Baker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
This play was, first and foremost, definitively disturbing, awkward and above all, effectively written.

Chronicling one very late evening and many many drinks, Albee portrays one married couple's inability to confront their fears, passions, and insecurities juxtaposed against a secondary couple who at first appear to be perfectly normal, though are later revealed to have dysfunctionalities all their own. Throughout the three acts of the play, Albee sets up scene after scene of verbal and physical
Around the Year i...: Who's Afriad of Virginia Woolf, by Edward Albee 1 16 Feb 01, 2016 08:49PM
Final Book Review 1 17 Nov 29, 2013 08:36AM
  • Rabbit Hole
  • Topdog/Underdog
  • Stop Kiss
  • Cloud 9
Edward Franklin Albee III was an American playwright known for works including Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Zoo Story, The Sandbox and The American Dream. His works are considered well-crafted and often unsympathetic examinations of the modern condition. His early works reflected a mastery and Americanization of the Theatre of the Absurd that found its peak in works by European playwrights ...more
More about Edward Albee...

“I said I was impressed, Martha. I'm beside myself with jealousy. What do you want me to do, throw up?” 56 likes
“Dashed hopes and good intentions. Good, better, best, bested.” 51 likes