Start by marking “Mongodb: The Definitive Guide” as Want to Read:
Mongodb: The Definitive Guide

Mongodb: The Definitive Guide

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  31 reviews
How does MongoDB help you manage a huMONGOus amount of data collected through your web application? With this authoritative introduction, you'll learn the many advantages of using document-oriented databases, and discover why MongoDB is a reliable, high-performance system that allows for almost infinite horizontal scalability.

Written by engineers from 10gen, the company th
Published September 1st 2010 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Mongodb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mongodb

Jörn Dinkla
Sorry, this review is in german. I do not have enough time to translate it into english. In a few years this probably will be automatically translated.
------------------------------------------------------------
Das Buch ist ein gelungener Überblick auf MongoDB sowohl aus Entwickler- als auch als DBA-Perspektive. Jedenfalls soweit ich das als MongoDB-Einsteiger mit mehr als 11 Jahren Data-Warehousing-Projekterfahrung sagen kann. Es ist mein erstes Buch über MongoDB und man kann es daher auch als
Gafitescu Daniel
MongoDB The Definitive Guide

Chapter 1 : Introduction

- The basic idea is to replace the concept of a “row” with a more flexible model, the “document.”
- MongoDB was designed from the beginning to scale out. Its document-oriented data model allows it to automatically split up data across multiple servers

Features :
a) Indexing
b) stored Javascript
c) Agreggation
d)Fixed-size collections
e)File storage

Chapter 2 : Gettting Started

• A document is the basic unit of data for MongoDB, roughly equivalent t
Edmond
Overall the book is well written, the two authors clearly know their stuff. However, I wish that they have organized the topics and wording a bit clearer and not to expect people will read the book from cover to cover.

MongoDB, at the end of the day, is a very young package. So there are quirks here and there which don't necessarily make sense for people from the RDBMS paradigms. E.g. it probably make sense to reference Safe Operations earlier in chapter 3 because I know that there are folks out
Christian Tjhai
By the title of the book that is The Definitive Guide, I was hoping that the authors could point out some kind of work patterns that could be considered as a starting point for the readers to be used as their practical guidelines at work. Although, I am aware that it is still too early to consider best practices to work with MongoDB.

The documentations provided at mongodb.org are definitely self-explanatory and I believe I could learn much faster from the documentations.

I am a bit disappoint actu
Ivo Stoykov
MongoDB: The Definitive Guide is useful reading and starting point for those interested to touch MongoDB. The book is well composed with enough clear samples and explanations. I've enjoyed reading it.
Hinch
A clearly written introduction to MongoDB. The concepts are well explained and the examples are thoughtfully chosen. The book incidentally addresses questions relating to the advantages of MongoDB over relational databases, however, greater focus on the strengths and weaknesses of the "NoSQL" model, and the applicability of the technology to specific solution architectures, would have been welcomed. The book is a joy to read, and will serve as a good complement to a language reference, yet lacks ...more
Delhi Irc
Location: GG6 IRC
Accession no: DL026656
Alessandro Pellizzari
Ottimo manuale. Parte dalle basi e affronta tutti gli argomenti, dal classico "CRUD" all'amministrazione del server, passando per replicaSets, sharding, backup ed esempi in Java, PHP, Python e Ruby. Volendo assolutamente trovargli dei difetti direi che con un titolo come "Definitive Guide" mi sarei aspettato un maggiore approfondimento per alcuni argomenti, come i riferimenti incrociati tra collection, l'uso avanzato dello storage di file o degli esempi di configurazioni reali per sistemi in rep ...more
Riccardo
Around 200 pages, it is concise enough for an introductory book.
The introduction does an excellent job of introducing the concepts behind MongoDB. It goes into explaining the pros and cons of NoSQL engines.
Administration, implementation and development concepts are covered. Maybe a little too much focused on a developer's point of view.
Aaron Lord
The last third of the book is appendices, so apparently all the while I was doner than I thought I was. It's a great book, but it's short, and therefore I wonder if has proper claim to the title of "Definitive Guide." My only complaint is that the Java chemistry app example in the last chapter is not accessible for anyone who didn't major in the physical sciences or who has been out of school for more than a few years.
Christopher
I recommend reading this book if you are interested in Mongo specifically, or even document databases in general. I found it to be a very useful introduction.
I came to the book with some basic knowledge of document database, but only a basic knowledge. I am now comfortable working with Mongo (those still only an intermediate user at best).
Harry Yeh
Great book and introduction to MongoDB - a must read if you are journeying into the land of NOSQL databases. I love Mongodb but coming from a relational background there are many things to learn about this JSON / BSON document based datastore. Great overview but you will need other books to get in much deeper with this product.
Will
A good solid reference. It doesn't go into the patterns or transaction details as much as I'd like (a single operation is atomic, but what does that imply for how data should be structured in an application?), but it's very helpful in showing what MongoDB does and doesn't do.
Albert
My main criticism of this book is that examples are not set up properly and none is worked out in any detail. Not bad as a whistle-stop tour of features, but online documentation is a better introduction to MongoDB.
Burak Dede
Book generally written much of a theoric book but section at the end provide enough practice for different language drivers (java,ruby,python etc.) but one important thing that they are not full examples
Karol
Average book. Covers only basics, unnecessarily describes things easily found elsewhere (like arguments of mongodump, or mongo commands). Often explains obvious things. Recommended only for very beginners.
Nathan
This book is a fairly good read for a technology book. Most of the content is platform-agnostic, so it's accessible to anyone thinking about using MongoDB on a platform that has a MongoDB driver already.
Andrew Magee
The title doesn't lie. Very comprehensive and well-written.
A. Jesse
I straightforward guide to MongoDB, will get you up and running quickly, covers the most common topics in depth in a humorous and engaging manner.
Charlotte Guan
It does include all the basic information, but lack of comparison with other db and when we should choose MongoDB instead of others.
Harit Himanshu
The first NoSQL book I read and learnt a lot, not very bulky, keep you right on the track.

You read and start working!
Salvatore
You'll be up to speed in no time with this book. Would have liked to see coverage of applications using Node.js.
Miguel Ángel
Un buen manual de MongoDB. Como todos estos libros está orientado al API pero es una muy buena referencia
Lisandro
very clear and structured information, give you a good overall view of the capabilities and how to use it!
Mohammed Al-yousef
very well explained and good organization. i still need to practice it in a real project though =)
Greenicicle
Excellent for starting with Mongo. Very pragmatic, and lends itself well to a fluent read-through.
Amet Alvirde
Este es un excelente libro para iniciar con mongo. simplemente buenísimo y altamentr recomendable.
Moses Nakamura
good as a reference (which is what it's supposed to be), wish it had exercises
Serj
В целом книга знакомит читателя с монго, глубоких погребений нет.
  • MongoDB in Action
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
  • Version Control with Git
  • Even Faster Web Sites
  • Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Machine Learning in Action
  • The Art of R Programming: A Tour of Statistical Software Design
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • Algorithms in a Nutshell
  • Functional JavaScript: Introducing Functional Programming with Underscore.js
  • Pro Git
  • jQuery Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for jQuery Developers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
50 Tips and Tricks for MongoDB Developers Scaling MongoDB MongoDB The Definitive Guide Mongodb: The Definitive Guide (Revised Scaling Mongodb