Start by marking “Untitled Eidos” as Want to Read:
Untitled Eidos

Untitled Eidos

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  662 ratings  ·  61 reviews
IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. BUT YOU CAN SEE IT FROM HERE.
In the near future, with physical augmentation gaining ground and nano-cybernetics only years away, the dawn oflimitless human evolution is just beyond the horizon, and a secret corporate cabal of ruthless men intends to make sure that humankind stays under its control. But two people on opposite sides of the wo
Published February 22nd 2011 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Untitled Eidos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Untitled Eidos

Jason
Jun 03, 2012 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci fi fans, cyberpunk fans, gamers
I was a big fan of the original Deus Ex video game, but never got into the sequel and hardly paid attention to the prequel released by Square Enix in 2011. I eventually picked it up on a sale on Steam, and discovered a game that was well made, visually appealing, and a lot of fun. The Mass Effect novels have made me a believer in some video game novelizations, and I decided to give “Deus Ex: Icarus Effect” a chance (partially because I was hungry for more cyberpunk after reading William Gibson’s ...more
Krzysztof
Meh. Alright, I guess. Adding a few connections to Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution doesn't really make much of a difference to the book, since some of them - especially the character of Namir -feel very false when compared to their video game originals. The lead characters are rather unlikeable, especially the female protagonist who seems to not be able to decide on a behavior. She's supposed to be a Special Agent but often lacks any sort of strong character and it seems to me the author w ...more
Tabitha
I bought this book after playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and absolutely LOVING it. Near-future sci-fi is a genre I wasn't took familiar with prior to the game and it hooked me in the more I learned about it. As a result I went on a frantic search for anything else in the genre and came across James Swallow's book Deus Ex: Icarus Effect! Admittedly I was hesitant as I'd read tie-in novels before and honestly was rarely pleased with the story. What this book has going for it is the fact the auth ...more
Breck
Admittedly, video game novelizations are one of my guilty pleasures. While many (if not most) of the ones out there are pretty bad (I read the first page of one the other day that was horrible), over the last few years some of them are surprisingly good. As more money flows into the VG industry, so does the in-game writing (and novelizations) improve. (An recent example was Orson Scott Card being hired to help write dialog and story for a new game called "Firefall.") The author of Deus Ex, James ...more
Sam Warren
I enjoyed it. Well visioned sci fi, conspiracy and action. I guess i would have liked to see more about what life is like for average Joe citizen in this well thought out world but the two main characters are well developed.
I also would have enjoyed it more if the book hadn't followed many dynamics that I'd expect from an average action/ adventure movie.
Wow this sounds bad, but i came away from it having enjoyed it. It's a vision of conspiracy in the possible future. But how many of the books p
Nathan
I really wanna give this book 5 stars, but i just can't....2 reasons....

1. the book's ending is a bit abrupt and if you're not planning on playing the upcoming video game on which the book is based, then you're definitely gonna be missing something (fortunately i will be playing the game)

2. it's kind of short. i don't mind the quick, fast paced read, but sometimes i felt like parts coulda been fleshed out better or some backstory explained a bit more.

these issues don't hold back the book much at
Alexander Yakovlev
This is a truly great book - but only for a series fan. Of course, you have to be a series fan to read a prequel's prequel.

It's full of cyberpunk and conspiracies. There're more nods to Deus Ex 1 game in this than in the Deus Ex Human Revolution. The russian translation is... mediocre, I say (couple of errors and out-of-context translation - for example, Reed has been translated as male). The book contains some strange original choices (there're no flying bots in any Deus Ex game), but still it'
C.T. Phipps
Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect is a novel set in the Deus Ex setting, roughly six months before the events in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The novel stars two original characters and expands on several enemies encountered by Adam Jensen in the game.

The books title comes from the in-universe Icarus Effect. It's a fictional sociological theory about humans and animals turning against the truly exceptional. Also called "Tallest Poppy Syndrome" by TV tropes.org and "Crab Bucket" by Terry Pratchett, it'
Gabriela Šuterová
Deus Ex. A prominent brand in video games, fan favorite franchise. Great storylines and interesting characters in a cyberpunk world set in the near future. Deus Ex games are unique so it didn't came as suprise to me that there's a novel based on the latest of the series - Human Revolution.

First of all, the book is quite tightly connected to the game, but it is not necessary to know its story to enjoy this one. I would higly recommend to play the game, though. Lots of things makes better sense an
Patrick Todoroff
I try to avoid spoilers when giving reviews, so all I'll say while it's nothing earth-shattering or refreshingly unique, Swallow's book is a very solid, action-packed read. The novel parallels and is somewhat of a prequel to the upcoming video game, "Deus Ex: Human Revolution", which in turn is the third installment in the franchise. Good, near-future cyberpunk: a genre very near and dear to my heart.
Ella Drake
I enjoyed this accessible Science Fiction novel. It blended the best features of cyberpunk & military SF with a healthy dose of biotech. The backdrop of a tech society dominated by a shadowy conspiracy-type organization pitted against the individual isn't new, but the flawed but empathetic main characters drew me in. This is a great read, especially if you're interested in the forthcoming game.
Triopticon
Yair Bezalel
Those of you who don't know me outside of my reviews on goodreads will be forgiven for not knowing up until this review that I am, in fact, a fairly avid gamer. And one of my favorite franchises, if not my most favorite gaming franchise is without a doubt the Deus Ex series of games.

First released in 2000 as a PC game that was quickly ported over to the PS2, the original Deus Ex was a masterwork of gaming and interactive storytelling. Combining cyber punk, neo noir, and post/pre apocalyptic narr
Jorge Figueroa
Mucho "listillo" anda pro la vida diciendo que el libro es predecible...pero bueno, analicemos un poco los hechos, está ubicado en un universo previo a una de las joyas del software lúdico Deus EX y se desarrolla en paralelo al juego que va a la cabeza para juego dle año Deus EX : Human Revolution, es importante mencionarlo porque si bi bien su lectura no es necesaria, complementa perfectamente a la aventura de Adam Jensen, si leen las reseñas del juego, mucha gente se queja de las peleas del mi ...more
Abhinav
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the tie-in novelisation of the critically acclaimed prequel of the smash-hit Deus Ex video game series.

“Finally, a video game novelisation that gets things right!” ~Shadowhawk

My experience with video game novelisations is a rather poor one. C.S. Goto’s Dawn of War stands out as the most boring, sleep-inducing book I’ve ever read, in addition to failing so phenomenally at living up
Szil0214
Kipróbáltam a játékot, mielőtt elkezdtem olvasni a könyvet. Nagyon jó grafikája van, segített ráhangolódni a könyvre, de sajnos nem sokáig nézegettem, mert rögtön kipurcantam az első lövöldözős szitunál. :)
A könyv nagyon izgalmas, végig pörögnek az események, olyan, mint egy jó akciófilm: sok a harcjelenet, és van egy kőkemény összeesküvés és titok a háttérben. A cyberpunk hangulat csillagos ötös, teljesen elmerültem benne. A testmódosításokról és a háttérről olvastam volna kicsit részletesebbe
Artur Arutyunyan
I chose this book because somewhere in July I had finished Deus Ex Human Revolution, the video game tie in, at that moment I realized that I had played all three games in the series, but my glorious mission was not done yet! I had to read the book!

This book is-in simplest terms- is about conspiracies and revenge. Two characters, by the names of Ben Saxon and Anna Kelso, lose their best friends, and co-workers in separate attacks across the world from each other, Kelso’s commanding officer tells
PsypherPunk
One of the enduring features of the Deus Ex franchise is the freedom of play (or at least a decent illusion thereof) and it's willingness to consider, if not actually address with any great depth, issues of transhumanism, futurism, etc. It's something of a shame therefore that its first foray into literary territory is, by contrast, rather straightforward.

For fans of the latest game it offers insight into the backgrounds of the various bosses met throughout the course of the game. Given that sai
Alex
In my opinion this book is not strong enough to get five stars. It worth of reading only if you are enjoying original Deus Ex: Human Revolution game and want to discover something more about it. There is many interruptions in the storyline of game itself and sometimes strange motivated actions of characters so it starts to look untrustfully.
But on the other hand it's not very bad and if you like DE:HM setting you may found it interesting as I partly do.
Alex Jones
More a 3.5 star book, it was an enjoyable blast and definitely felt like a Human Revolution book, but didn't quite have enough substance to rank higher. It has tie-ins to the game, but felt separate and, fortunately, it didn't feel like it was written purely to set up the game or as a cash-in. It has all the themes that I love in the game, but didn't really explore them, instead it just tells a fairly generic action story. If you're a fan of the game, then you'll enjoy this, but it wasn't anythi ...more
Emperador Spock
Being a fan of the Deus Ex video game series, I knew that this book would unlikely to be a complete disappointment. Actually, it has turned to be a neat expansion into the world of these games, uncovering the back stories of many of the familiar characters, in particular those that came from the original Deus Ex: the book successfully bridges the gap between the first and the latest installment in the game series (Human Revolution itself is not as good at it).

The more detailed account of the Tyr
Will
Action packed, true to the source material, and a great 'guilty pleasure' type of book. The writing isnt great and the characters are pretty one dimensional and lack any background, but the conspiracy plot is thought out. Perhaps if the book were twice as long with the extra geared toward character development it would've been better. I love the human revolution universe, so it was a fun n dumb piece of fan service.
Even though the bad guys are one dimensional, that's still more than these same
Nico Cropp
Augmented with suspense

The Icarus Effect surprised me on many levels, and ultimately left me smiling. James Swallow does a masterful job of outlining his characters, and the storyline was a rollercoaster ride through betrayal and revenge. Peppered with cameos from the video game, this book is one that sits on the shelf alongside James Bond.
Andrea
Oct 22, 2011 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deus Ex fans
Being a fan of the original Deus Ex, I thought it would be fun to read a book that ties it in to the new Deus Ex game (which I haven't played yet). It was a fun cyberpunk story, with some cool ideas about human augmentation, scary conspiracies, and a realistic portrayal of computers and science. Like a lot of media tie-in books, it wasn't spectacular -- the characterization felt a little heavy-handed, there were some cliches, and the plot wasn't superb. But it was fun and neat to see some charac ...more
Jaime
Muchas escenas de acción y poca intriga. Es raro decir esto, pero la atmósfera de los juegos es mucho más sombría y paranoica, y por lo tanto, más disfrutable. Recomendado a los fans de los videojuegos.
Nathan Marchand
Set in the Deus Ex video games universe this book mainly provides backstory to the boss's you fight in the latest game (Human Revolution) and the political situation revolving around ethics of human augmentation. Contains several nodes and references to the original game story with a touch of conspiracy theories thrown in.
This is a fast pace action thriller with some cyberpunk and lots of cyber enhanced humans fighting other cyber enhanced humans. Don't bother reading if your not a fan of the ga
John Patrick
Having never played any of the games of this series I picked up this book at the Borders "Going out of Buisness" sale just because of my love of all things Cyberpunk. I was pleasently surprised. It was a good read that kept me drawn into the story and has actually made me interested in playing the games. I know video game books are usually just throw out to help increase the hype but this book was able to stand on its own to someone who knows nothing of the series. I would love to see more books ...more
Fredrik
I haven't played the Human Revolution game yet, but this book kinda makes me wanna do. :)

Good action, well written, definitely worth reading!
Marco Olofsson
It's an "ok" book, really. I really liked Deus Ex Human revolution, I had never gotten myself into any other Deus ex game before. So the story was now something i held dear to.

James Swallow clings on to the Lore of human revolution very well, he describes the characters, the enviroment and their situations perfectly, however... The story is dumbed down with clichés and is very uninteressting.

In the end, you'll stumble upon characters that you don't really feel anything for, as if the writer los
  • Mass Effect: Redemption
  • Dead Space
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Crysis: Legion
  • Fable: The Balverine Order
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • BioShock: Rapture
  • Mass Effect: Evolution
  • Halo: Blood Line
  • The Infernal City (The Elder Scrolls, #1)
  • Firstborn (Starcraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #1)
  • The Invisible Imam (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Dead Island
  • The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Homefront: The Voice of Freedom
James Swallow is a British author and scriptwriter, a New York Times Bestseller and BAFTA nominee. He is the author of over thirty-five original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes The Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 4
More about James Swallow...
The Flight of the Eisenstein Nemesis Fear to Tread Doctor Who: Peacemaker The Blood Angels Omnibus, Volume 1