Start by marking “Untitled Eidos” as Want to Read:
Untitled Eidos

Untitled Eidos (Deus Ex Universe)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  956 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. BUT YOU CAN SEE IT FROM HERE.
In the near future, with physical augmentation gaining ground and nano-cybernetics only years away, the dawn oflimitless human evolution is just beyond the horizon, and a secret corporate cabal of ruthless men intends to make sure that humankind stays under its control. But two people on opposite sides of the wo
Published February 22nd 2011 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Untitled Eidos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Untitled Eidos

Efka
May 22, 2015 Efka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, pc-games
If you had your hand on Deus Ex games, reading this book is almost mandatory. It's not because this book is great, no. This book is a wasted potential, actually. Nevertheless, it sheds some light on Deus Ex world, explains some plot holes in Deus Ex:Human Revolution and sets a tone for the original Deus Ex.

Why it is a wasted potential? Well, for starters, it's the characters. Saxon and Kelso, the protagonists, aren't badly written or unbelievable, just.. they're bleak. It's a short and fast pac
Jason
Jun 03, 2012 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci fi fans, cyberpunk fans, gamers
I was a big fan of the original Deus Ex video game, but never got into the sequel and hardly paid attention to the prequel released by Square Enix in 2011. I eventually picked it up on a sale on Steam, and discovered a game that was well made, visually appealing, and a lot of fun. The Mass Effect novels have made me a believer in some video game novelizations, and I decided to give “Deus Ex: Icarus Effect” a chance (partially because I was hungry for more cyberpunk after reading William Gibson’s ...more
Mells
Apr 26, 2015 Mells rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't you just love reading books based on games and movies? With all the quality characterisation and exciting plotting? But then again, with that fancy new lobotomy augmentation you can purchase for an exorbitant sum of money you can read any book and still be in awe.

So you might as well give this one a go. Or if you've read all the cyberpunk thrillers already and crave new ones. Or, more likely, if you've beaten Deus Ex: Human Revulsion and want more. And here's where this thing cracks.

Becau
C.T. Phipps
Oct 29, 2014 C.T. Phipps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deus Ex: The Icarus Effect is a novel set in the Deus Ex setting, roughly six months before the events in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The novel stars two original characters and expands on several enemies encountered by Adam Jensen in the game.

The books title comes from the in-universe Icarus Effect. It's a fictional sociological theory about humans and animals turning against the truly exceptional. Also called "Tallest Poppy Syndrome" by TV tropes.org and "Crab Bucket" by Terry Pratchett, it'
Krzysztof
Meh. Alright, I guess. Adding a few connections to Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution doesn't really make much of a difference to the book, since some of them - especially the character of Namir -feel very false when compared to their video game originals. The lead characters are rather unlikeable, especially the female protagonist who seems to not be able to decide on a behavior. She's supposed to be a Special Agent but often lacks any sort of strong character and it seems to me the author w ...more
Tabitha
Dec 04, 2013 Tabitha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book after playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and absolutely LOVING it. Near-future sci-fi is a genre I wasn't took familiar with prior to the game and it hooked me in the more I learned about it. As a result I went on a frantic search for anything else in the genre and came across James Swallow's book Deus Ex: Icarus Effect! Admittedly I was hesitant as I'd read tie-in novels before and honestly was rarely pleased with the story. What this book has going for it is the fact the auth ...more
Breck
Sep 13, 2011 Breck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Admittedly, video game novelizations are one of my guilty pleasures. While many (if not most) of the ones out there are pretty bad (I read the first page of one the other day that was horrible), over the last few years some of them are surprisingly good. As more money flows into the VG industry, so does the in-game writing (and novelizations) improve. (An recent example was Orson Scott Card being hired to help write dialog and story for a new game called "Firefall.") The author of Deus Ex, James ...more
Sam Warren
I enjoyed it. Well visioned sci fi, conspiracy and action. I guess i would have liked to see more about what life is like for average Joe citizen in this well thought out world but the two main characters are well developed.
I also would have enjoyed it more if the book hadn't followed many dynamics that I'd expect from an average action/ adventure movie.
Wow this sounds bad, but i came away from it having enjoyed it. It's a vision of conspiracy in the possible future. But how many of the books p
Nathan
Jun 14, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanna give this book 5 stars, but i just can't....2 reasons....

1. the book's ending is a bit abrupt and if you're not planning on playing the upcoming video game on which the book is based, then you're definitely gonna be missing something (fortunately i will be playing the game)

2. it's kind of short. i don't mind the quick, fast paced read, but sometimes i felt like parts coulda been fleshed out better or some backstory explained a bit more.

these issues don't hold back the book much at
Alexander Yakovlev
This is a truly great book - but only for a series fan. Of course, you have to be a series fan to read a prequel's prequel.

It's full of cyberpunk and conspiracies. There're more nods to Deus Ex 1 game in this than in the Deus Ex Human Revolution. The russian translation is... mediocre, I say (couple of errors and out-of-context translation - for example, Reed has been translated as male). The book contains some strange original choices (there're no flying bots in any Deus Ex game), but still it'
Samuel Rooke
It's pretty rare for a video game tie-in novel to be particularly worthwhile, and this is unfortunately no exception. It's competently written, there are no glaring errors or anything, but it's undercooked, underdeveloped, stilted, workmanlike...nothing special, and nothing really pleasant to read.

If read purely for insights into to the Deus Ex universe, there's not much really worth it in here. A few characters from Human Revolution and the original game have cameos (some even more than that) b
Gabriela Šuterová
Deus Ex. A prominent brand in video games, fan favorite franchise. Great storylines and interesting characters in a cyberpunk world set in the near future. Deus Ex games are unique so it didn't came as suprise to me that there's a novel based on the latest of the series - Human Revolution.

First of all, the book is quite tightly connected to the game, but it is not necessary to know its story to enjoy this one. I would higly recommend to play the game, though. Lots of things makes better sense an
Cătălin
Oct 13, 2015 Cătălin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable read, especially if you're familiar with the Deus Ex universe from the games. From a purely literary perspective, the book doesn't really stand out, while the protagonists are not necessarily what I would call 'remarkable'. Still, that's not meant as a dig, as I feel that both Ben Saxon and Anna Kelso provide an interesting and rather unique perspective in that they're both 'grunts' (Saxon is a mercenary, while Anna is US Secret Service, with the added bonus of being the f ...more
Patrick Todoroff
I try to avoid spoilers when giving reviews, so all I'll say while it's nothing earth-shattering or refreshingly unique, Swallow's book is a very solid, action-packed read. The novel parallels and is somewhat of a prequel to the upcoming video game, "Deus Ex: Human Revolution", which in turn is the third installment in the franchise. Good, near-future cyberpunk: a genre very near and dear to my heart.
Ella Drake
I enjoyed this accessible Science Fiction novel. It blended the best features of cyberpunk & military SF with a healthy dose of biotech. The backdrop of a tech society dominated by a shadowy conspiracy-type organization pitted against the individual isn't new, but the flawed but empathetic main characters drew me in. This is a great read, especially if you're interested in the forthcoming game.
Triopticon
Yair Ben-Zvi
Jan 14, 2014 Yair Ben-Zvi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those of you who don't know me outside of my reviews on goodreads will be forgiven for not knowing up until this review that I am, in fact, a fairly avid gamer. And one of my favorite franchises, if not my most favorite gaming franchise is without a doubt the Deus Ex series of games.

First released in 2000 as a PC game that was quickly ported over to the PS2, the original Deus Ex was a masterwork of gaming and interactive storytelling. Combining cyber punk, neo noir, and post/pre apocalyptic narr
Mars Dorian
Jan 02, 2015 Mars Dorian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasingly surprised. I expected a lackluster tie-in novel but got treated with an exciting technothriller.
Rare, but rawsome when it happens. Kudos to Mr. James Swallow.

I played the game Deus Ex: Human Revolution which plays AFTER the events of this book and wanted to check out more stories. I found this one and share my pros and cons below:

Pros:
Good action scenes
Good pace
Interesting premise (body modification, Illuminati)

Negatives:
A bit too long
didn't care about characters

Conclusion:
All in all,
Calvin
Jan 24, 2016 Calvin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is okay, the only reason to read this book is because it's tied to deus ex franchise, and the release of Deus Ex the fall, featuring Ben Saxon and Anna Kelso. The characterization are flat, dull, and tedious. I feel like author didn't try to make the characters relate-able with the readers. The action scenes are basically purple prose. Can be meaningless at times.

There are some fan service here and there, such as when they discussed about Adam Jensen.

other than to understand the doomed
Fahad Ahmed
The action, plot and writing are Deus Ex through and through: lots of augmentation-packed action, a conspiracy that goes all the way to the top and the struggle of a few to fight everyone's favorite pyramid lovers.

That being said, it doesn't do much to draw the reader in; the universe isn't realized in a way that will entice non-fans of the games, neither Kelso nor Saxon nor the Tyrants make for very interesting characters, and the book spares only token nods to the concept of human augmentatio
Jorge Figueroa
Mucho "listillo" anda pro la vida diciendo que el libro es predecible...pero bueno, analicemos un poco los hechos, está ubicado en un universo previo a una de las joyas del software lúdico Deus EX y se desarrolla en paralelo al juego que va a la cabeza para juego dle año Deus EX : Human Revolution, es importante mencionarlo porque si bi bien su lectura no es necesaria, complementa perfectamente a la aventura de Adam Jensen, si leen las reseñas del juego, mucha gente se queja de las peleas del mi ...more
Abhinav
Oct 09, 2012 Abhinav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the tie-in novelisation of the critically acclaimed prequel of the smash-hit Deus Ex video game series.

“Finally, a video game novelisation that gets things right!” ~Shadowhawk

My experience with video game novelisations is a rather poor one. C.S. Goto’s Dawn of War stands out as the most boring, sleep-inducing book I’ve ever read, in addition to failing so phenomenally at living up
Szil0214
Kipróbáltam a játékot, mielőtt elkezdtem olvasni a könyvet. Nagyon jó grafikája van, segített ráhangolódni a könyvre, de sajnos nem sokáig nézegettem, mert rögtön kipurcantam az első lövöldözős szitunál. :)
A könyv nagyon izgalmas, végig pörögnek az események, olyan, mint egy jó akciófilm: sok a harcjelenet, és van egy kőkemény összeesküvés és titok a háttérben. A cyberpunk hangulat csillagos ötös, teljesen elmerültem benne. A testmódosításokról és a háttérről olvastam volna kicsit részletesebbe
PsypherPunk
One of the enduring features of the Deus Ex franchise is the freedom of play (or at least a decent illusion thereof) and it's willingness to consider, if not actually address with any great depth, issues of transhumanism, futurism, etc. It's something of a shame therefore that its first foray into literary territory is, by contrast, rather straightforward.

For fans of the latest game it offers insight into the backgrounds of the various bosses met throughout the course of the game. Given that sai
Alex
Jun 20, 2014 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion this book is not strong enough to get five stars. It worth of reading only if you are enjoying original Deus Ex: Human Revolution game and want to discover something more about it. There is many interruptions in the storyline of game itself and sometimes strange motivated actions of characters so it starts to look untrustfully.
But on the other hand it's not very bad and if you like DE:HM setting you may found it interesting as I partly do.
Alex Jones
More a 3.5 star book, it was an enjoyable blast and definitely felt like a Human Revolution book, but didn't quite have enough substance to rank higher. It has tie-ins to the game, but felt separate and, fortunately, it didn't feel like it was written purely to set up the game or as a cash-in. It has all the themes that I love in the game, but didn't really explore them, instead it just tells a fairly generic action story. If you're a fan of the game, then you'll enjoy this, but it wasn't anythi ...more
Emperador Spock
Feb 12, 2013 Emperador Spock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of the Deus Ex video game series, I knew that this book would unlikely to be a complete disappointment. Actually, it has turned to be a neat expansion into the world of these games, uncovering the back stories of many of the familiar characters, in particular those that came from the original Deus Ex: the book successfully bridges the gap between the first and the latest installment in the game series (Human Revolution itself is not as good at it).

The more detailed account of the Tyr
Will
Feb 10, 2012 Will rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed, true to the source material, and a great 'guilty pleasure' type of book. The writing isnt great and the characters are pretty one dimensional and lack any background, but the conspiracy plot is thought out. Perhaps if the book were twice as long with the extra geared toward character development it would've been better. I love the human revolution universe, so it was a fun n dumb piece of fan service.
Even though the bad guys are one dimensional, that's still more than these same
Dominik Filkus
Sep 21, 2015 Dominik Filkus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a quick and exciting action story. I liked when it mentioned a lot of names from the video games and I can connect the lines in my gaming memories. I think knowing the story of the game is necessary because otherwise you may feel empty a bit in the end of the book. So I suggest to read this fantastic book for those who are familiar with the games.
Nico Cropp
Augmented with suspense

The Icarus Effect surprised me on many levels, and ultimately left me smiling. James Swallow does a masterful job of outlining his characters, and the storyline was a rollercoaster ride through betrayal and revenge. Peppered with cameos from the video game, this book is one that sits on the shelf alongside James Bond.
  • Mass Effect: Redemption
  • Crysis: Legion
  • Dead Space
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Evolution
  • The Infernal City (The Elder Scrolls, #1)
  • BioShock: Rapture
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Dead Island
  • The Art of Halo
  • Halo: Blood Line
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • The Invisible Imam (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Firstborn (Starcraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #1)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
James Swallow is a British novelist and scriptwriter. The author of New York Times and Sunday Times Bestsellers and a BAFTA nominee, he has written over forty original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes the action thriller Nomad, the Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and
More about James Swallow...

Deus Ex Universe (6 books)
  • Deus Ex: Fallen Angel