Start by marking “Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce” as Want to Read:
Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce

Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  433 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
"John Piper's succinct and superbly perceptive study of William Wilberforce deserves to become an acclaimed bestseller. It not only tells the story of a great man's life-it also tells us how to understand the ultimate source of his greatness and happiness. Moreover, that understanding goes far deeper than the abolitionist achievements for which Wilberforce is honored, asto ...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce

Adam
Jan 31, 2012 Adam rated it liked it
Very brief look at Wilberforce's life and campaign for the abolition of slavery. The focus is on Wilberforce's life after his entry into politics and mainly how he managed to endure so many years of rejection and setbacks in his campaign before finally achieving success. Piper calls this the "root of his endurance" which he then fleshes out over a few chapters. I felt like Piper tried to force some of his language and terminology on Wilberforce and like he read Wilberforce's main work ("A Practi ...more
Dan Curnutt
Feb 28, 2014 Dan Curnutt rated it it was amazing
There have been many books written about the life of William Willberforce. You will find other books that have a much more detailed accounting of Willberforce's life. But Piper has given us a short little vignette that gives a clear picture of the man more than a clear picture of his theological and political prowess.

This is a good book for a group discussion starter about the life of a saint and his persistence in the calling that God placed on his life. Piper points out the following about Wil
Bob Hayton
Jun 25, 2008 Bob Hayton rated it it was amazing
I have finished Piper's little book Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce. It was excellent! You should look into getting some for evangelistic reasons, as people will be interested when you tell them that this is the 200th anniversary of the banning of the slave trade (by Britain).

The last two chapters were most captivating, as they looked into Wilberforce's contagious Christian joy and his beliefs on the importance of doctrine. The book is available to read for free online, and it w
Ernesto
Feb 10, 2014 Ernesto rated it it was amazing
En este libro de John MacArthur nos presenta la vida de William Wilberforce desde su vida como cristiano. Nos narra como Wliberforce luchó por abolir la esclavitud en Inglaterra durante mucho tiempo y cómo a pesar de muchas derrotas nunca se dio por vencido. El saber que Dios estaba de su lado y el saber que Dios no hace acepción de personas fue lo que lo mantuvo en esta lucha contra la esclavitud y fue lo que en los días más difíciles de su vida lo sacó adelante. Desde el comienzo del libro Mac ...more
Ryan Thomas
Apr 30, 2015 Ryan Thomas rated it it was amazing
Great introductory work, with an emphasis on gospel rooted joy in Christ, and the necessary sequence of good doctrine preceding and producing GOD works.
Wayne S.
Sep 28, 2013 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
William Wilberforce (1759 –1833) was an English politician, philanthropist, and a leader of the movement to abolish the slave trade. Despite a misspent youth, he began his political career in 1780 and eventually became the independent Member of Parliament for Yorkshire. In 1785, he underwent a conversion experience and became an evangelical Christian, which resulted in major changes to his lifestyle and a lifelong concern for reform. In 1787, he came into contact with a group of anti-slave-trade ...more
John Gardner
May 14, 2010 John Gardner rated it it was amazing
William Wilberforce is one of my favorite historical figures, and John Piper is one of my favorite authors, so I knew I really wanted to read this book! Before I get into the review, though, I should tell you what this book is not.

It is not a full-length, detailed biography of Wilberforce. Many excellent such books exist, including the recent work by Eric Metaxas which was the companion to the 2007 movie "Amazing Grace", which focused on Wilberforce's efforts to abolish slavery in Great Britai
Georgia Herod
Apr 02, 2013 Georgia Herod rated it it was amazing
Because I had read Metaxes' biography of William Wilberforce and am familiar with Piper's writing, I was compelled to read this insightful commentary on the transformation of Wilberforce's life after He became a Christian and his perseverence in loving God and transforming the world in which he lived. And he did! Piper refers to Wilberforce's book, A Practical View of Christianity, in which Wilberforce asserted that "true Christianity, which consists in these new, indomitable spiritual affection ...more
Adelle
Feb 27, 2016 Adelle rated it really liked it
While I loved learning about William Wilberforce & the amazing man he was, I was disappointed in the opinions of John Piper in the end. Piper's take on the gospel seemed to diminish the Wilberforce's real intent to live a good life for the sake of following a higher power. Overall, a great book about a great man.
Charity Murigi
Apr 16, 2016 Charity Murigi rated it it was amazing
This book is succinct and explains the driving force of William Wilberforce as enduring joy rooted in his faith in Christ. trading this challenged my faith and my outlook of Christianity. Christian doctrine vs Christian morals explains much about our present society. The prevalence of churches and religion but the lack of transformation by them.
Tiffany
Nov 01, 2015 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
This is just a beautiful book about a wonderful person. While the book is not very long at all, you can read it in an hour, the language is more on level for 12 and above in my opinion.
Denham
Feb 20, 2016 Denham rated it really liked it
Piper packs a punch in just a short few words. Easy read while still getting at the essence and story of one of the great men of history. Wilberforce is such an inspiration.
Samuel Schmidt
Mar 16, 2015 Samuel Schmidt rated it liked it
A great little introduction to the gospel-driven legacy of this man. Not super detailed but rich enough to get a glimpse into how God used this man in some very significant ways.
Rommy
Jan 01, 2016 Rommy rated it it was amazing
I want to read more books in 2016 and I decided to start with this short one. Started and finished it in one day :) highly inspirational.
John Downer
Good, quick overview of Wilberforce's life, accomplishments and the ideas and philosophy that grounded him and spurred him on. Now I'm moving on to the longer Eric Metaxas biography.
David Steele
Sep 12, 2014 David Steele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: calvinism, biography
A superb look at the British man who single-handedly abolished the slave-trade industry in the UK.
Gabrielle
Jun 09, 2015 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Cheated, bought the audiobook! Loved every second!
Tori
Jan 13, 2011 Tori rated it it was amazing
I was shocked to find it only 80 pages or so long. But each of those pages was filled with really inspiring, uplifting, get-out-and-start-working words that kept me flipping through.

I think it's less of a biography as it is a background. Why Wilberforce did what he did, what drove him to do it for years and years with nothing happened but fails.

So, if you're interested in Wilberforce, I would highly, highly recomend this. I would also recomend, however, that you get a biography to go along with
Madeline
Sep 13, 2013 Madeline rated it it was amazing
Though only 76 pages long, this book shed much light on the life of this admirable man. I delved into this book knowing very little about him, other than his work in abolishing the slave trade.I was very much surprised at finding out about his deep, strong life lived for Christ! As a Christian, I was greatly encouraged and convicted by the time I was finished reading. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a true glance into William Wilberforce's life, and what really motivated him ...more
Bernadette Kraft
I cry every time I listen to this book.
Eliza Grover
Mar 01, 2016 Eliza Grover rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Such an inspiring book!
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it
William Wilberforce was born into a life of privilege and power but following his conversion to Christianity, devoted the rest of his life as an elected official to the abolition of slavery. It was a hard-fought, decades-long battle, but Wilberforce endured. As Piper points out in this brief account, Scripture’s teaching of human equality coupled with his personal faith in Christ motivated Wilberforce to persevere. His gospel-driven tenacity stands as a clarion call to Christians today.
Dionne
Jan 11, 2014 Dionne rated it really liked it
I have become a huge fan of Wilberforce ever since the movie, "Amazing Grace" came out in 2006. This was an extremely, easy read but a very inspirational one as well. Wilberforce faced a lot of opposition but never gave up because his cause was just. He had political opposition and enemies, difficult family problems and health issues but he was an optimist rooted in his joy in the Lord and had the support of his friends.
Kate
Jan 12, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it
I"m not sure if this is the right book but I do know that I read the book Amazing Grace. It was really boring but the pictures were incredible and painted the picture for you. It's about this guy who steered a slave trade ship and when he saw the condition the slaves were he kept doing it but later on knew that he had to stop. A few pages on the slaves parts of the ship and those were really interesting.
Tina Nandi
Aug 15, 2008 Tina Nandi rated it it was amazing
I already knew quite a bit about William Wilberforce thanks to the movie made on his life called "Amazing Grace" but I wanted to know more! This book was easy to read and informative and it tells you more about what was happening in his life behind his great achievements...
Kelly Dunn
Jul 16, 2015 Kelly Dunn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: biography, piper
Certainly not an exhaustive treatment of William Wilberforce's life, it is a great introduction to Giant in Christian history. Piper really covers the high points that reveal the essence of Wilberforce. I will admit bias towards Piper -- I devour everything he writes!
Suzanne
May 02, 2010 Suzanne rated it did not like it
Listened to this on CD-- very short, only 1 disc. Gave some interesting insights into Wilberforce's thinking and background, but was extremely preachy-- but what can you expect, the author was a minister. Now I want to watch the movie "Amazing Grace" again.
K.
Oct 13, 2008 K. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All professed believers
This book is a nice, quick read from one of the best theologians of our time. Dr. Piper does an excellent job, as he always does, of providing for the reader an accurate Christian and historical commentary on William Wilberforce.
Bill
Jul 25, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Wilberforce and Piper had a lot in common it seems, but happily this book is about Wilberforce, not about Piper. Focusing on his faith as the foundation for his political acheivements.
Wade
Nov 12, 2009 Wade rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-history
This is a very good, and short, overview of William Wilberforce’s life and a very fair portrait of the fact that his faith in Jesus was what drove him to fight for social justice.
  • Portrait of Calvin
  • Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography
  • The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts (A Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • Real Christianity
  • The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
  • Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God
  • L'Abri
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • 131 Christians Everyone Should Know
  • Saint Augustine (Lives Biographies)
  • Worldly Saints: The Puritans as They Really Were
  • John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace
  • Biblical Foundations for Manhood and Womanhood
  • CrossTalk: Where Life & Scripture Meet
  • Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2)
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Edwards on the Christian Life: Alive to the Beauty of God (Theologians on the Christian Life)
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...

“No true Christian can endure in battling unrighteousness unless his heart is aflame with new spiritual affections, or passions. “Mere knowledge is confessedly too weak. The affections alone remain to supply the deficiency.”1” 0 likes
“No man,” Wilberforce wrote, “has a right to be idle.” “Where is it,” he asked, “that in such a world as this, health, and leisure, and affluence may not find some ignorance to instruct, some wrong to redress, some want to supply, some misery to alleviate?” 0 likes