Start by marking “Osud horší než draci” as Want to Read:
Osud horší než draci

Osud horší než draci

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  359 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Jen jedna věc je děsivější, než zabít obrovského, oheň dštícího draka... zabít nesprávného obrovského, oheň dštícího draka.

Sir Terry ví, že jako neohrožený (avšak typicky středostavovský) rytíř nemá nejmenší šanci získat ruku překrásné princezny Glorie... jedině že by zabil draka, který se usadil v nejzazším koutě království, a pak si ji nárokoval jako svou odměnu.

Jenomže
Published 2007 by Polaris

To ask other readers questions about Osud horší než draci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Osud horší než draci

The Flooze
Nov 02, 2009 The Flooze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robert Lynn Asprin fans
Light and amusing. A quick read that had me chuckling out loud in quite a few places. Gloria is a princess who knows what she wants. Terry is a knight who does as he's told. There are dragons and griffons, lancings and poisonings, and even a ripped bodice or two. It's a witty, rollicking parody that makes me want to read more John Moore.
Laker Lee
Jul 25, 2007 Laker Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults, older teens
I liked this book a lot. I also like Dave Barry a lot, so I can appreciate Moore's sense of humor. I think this is his best book. However, this is not a book about cutesy talking dragons. If you are thinking Eragon or His Majesty's Dragon, this isn't it. This is more of a romance adventure. Think Romancing the Stone or The Princess Bride. It is too bad that the cover is misleading. The cover makes it look like a young adult book, but it is for adults. If you are not old enough to date, you will ...more
Gary Holt
Jan 02, 2016 Gary Holt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great fairy tale parody by John Moore.

Sir Terry kills a dragon in order to win the hand of a princess, but unfortunately he hasn't paid attention to recent history. National boundaries have shifted, and he was a few miles in the wrong country. Only by pretending his squire did the killing does he escape being wed to the crazy princess who talks to animals and rocks and whatever. Meanwhile, the princess that he actually wants is betrothed (much to her disgust) to the scion of a rich baker
Sbuchler
Nov 28, 2007 Sbuchler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Fantasy

Amusing parody of the classic story of a knight rescuing a princess in distress. Except the princess arranged for herself to be in distress so that she could legally marry the knight of her choice (e.g. the one she had rescue her). Very tongue-in-cheek.
Nathan
Oct 01, 2007 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humor and fantasy lovers who know econimics and social trends
It was a unique book for sure....the classic fantasy story with some very forced, artificial humor, but that doesn't mean its not funny as hell
Dale
Nov 04, 2013 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair to Middling

There is a market out there for parodies of the traditional King Arthur/Lord of the Rings fantasy stories. Some are quite excellent, such as the The Princess Bride and the Xanth novels. Some are just so-so, like this one.

The book is about Terry, a knight trying to win the hand of Princess Gloria. He actually kills a dragon, but it took place in the wrong kingdom. When he returns home he discovers Gloria is now engaged to the son of one of richest men in the kingdom (his family i
Johnny
Apr 19, 2010 Johnny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I confess that I’m still more attracted to the punful (sic) adventures in Piers Anthony’s Xanth series or the blithely chaotic Myth-Adventures penned by Robert Lynn Asprin than I am to Moore’s operas of the absurd. Of the three novels I’ve read by Moore (Bad Prince Charlie, Heroics for Beginners, and this one, A Fate Worse than Dragons), I enjoyed the latter the most. Somehow, I wish the book could have stayed at the level of the first short arc of the plot. A relatively mediocre knight-errant m ...more
Aster Brown
Aug 29, 2013 Aster Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A Fate Worse than Dragons" works as a fantasy parody and as a fun fantasy story.

I enjoyed and "meh" many aspects of the story. Sometimes I loved the turn of phrases the author came up with and sometimes they bogged down the story with "clever". Sometimes the characters parody felt fresh and fun and sometimes caricatures with no depth. Sometimes the modern joke set me laughing and sometimes they annoyed me. The romance fell flat, and the sex jokes make this very much not a kid's story (why didn'
Rachel
This book felt like a Patricia Wrede or Diana Wynne Jones for adults. I'm not saying he's at their level — I've only read one of his books so far — but it was definitely enjoyable.
Biene
Die lustige Geschichte um einen Ritter der seine Prinzessin gegen alle Widerstände unbedingt heiraten will...und alle Beteiligten in ein realtiv plattes Abenteuer stürzt.

Dieses Buch ist ganz leichte Kost mit einem Schuss Humor und Verblödelung von den üblichen Sagen und Rittergeschichten. Es hat mich unterhalten, mir hätte aber auch nichts gefehlt, wenn ich es nicht gelesen hätte. Wäre der Witz im Buch so gut gewesen, dass ich des öfteren laut losgelacht hätte...ja dann hätte es 3 - 4 Sterne be
Derek
Jul 27, 2011 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this gem up at the used book sale at the library. I have to say, it was brilliant. Lately I've been reading a fair amount of light fantasy books, and this one tops them all. Easily one of my favorite books.

Moore leads us into a world of fantasy where cliche's rule, yet the way they hapen is very clever and full of wit. The dialogue had me laughing out lot. After I started this book I found it almost impossible to put it down.

Read this book. If you don't, I garuntee that you'll suffer
Tortla
This book failed to impress me. It's intended for adults, so it's much less creative than the chidderbooks about dragons. It's trying way too hard to be clever and young and fresh.

The writing style reminded me of Dave Barry. Desperately self-conscious attempts at humor that just don't do it for me...with an extra layer of desperation in attempting to conform to a fantasy genre.

Borderline insulting, if you're a fan of the fantastic books this one parodies. (I hated the reference to The Princess
MarsianMan
Sir Terry knows that if he kills the dragon he will get the Princess's hand in marriage. So like any good knight, he goes and kills the dragon. Except he crossed the country boundary and instead must mary Crazy Jane (Princess of the other country).

Not as good as the other books I have read by him, but still a decent book.The book starts off slow and really only picks up in the last 1/3 of the story.
Jessica Hollo
Not nearly as clever as his other humorous fantasy book. They seem a bit a like honestly.
Princess not who she should be, confused hero who shouldn't be one, modern references. Short, easy read.
Going to give him one more book. If it reads the same, it may be time to move on.
Kathy
Jun 07, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light-hearted comedy of errors in a fantasy setting. The description on the back is misleading though, as it summarizes the first ten pages and not the book, I'm sad I never get to meet Crazy Jane! Otherwise a fun read and a good airplane book.
Thor Aegir
One quote says it all:

He turned his gaze upon her, and their eyes not only met, the pupils shook hands, exchanged business cards, and sat down for tea together.

A quite hilarious (in a absurd way) fantasy romance.
Rachel
Nov 15, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all of John Moore's books, this was an amusing, light fantasy. There were twists on traditional fairy tale motifs, some deftly handled anachronisms, romance, and the promised dragon.
Danielle Reily
Sometimes you just need a pointless, funny book. Moore's books fit the bill. They are silly, and easy to read, I love them.
Gem
Apr 19, 2009 Gem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was funny and all too true for most people in Utah who have thier parents harping on them to get married
Juliana
Mar 06, 2010 Juliana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, satire
This kept me amused for awhile on the train, but I was disinclined to finish it. Not witty enough.
Sunderbug
easy humorous read. has some foul language. is geared toward adults.
Angela
Nov 06, 2007 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: craig and shawn
Shelves: sf-fantasy
For any fan of Terry Pratchett or anyone who likes witty, sarcastic fantasy!
Mary
Feb 08, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
comical parody...great for a dull January day.
Michele
Oct 17, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light, fun comic fantasy.
Daniel
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
fun and lighthearted
Audrene
Apr 22, 2014 Audrene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read and amusing. I like his books when I don't want to think but do want a few chuckles.
Allison
Feb 15, 2010 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
haha funny
Lisa
Mar 26, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny
  • Goblin Tales
  • Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures Vol. 2 (Myth Adventures, #7-12)
  • Don't Split the Party (The Order of the Stick, #4)
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • Until the Full Moon, Volume 02
  • Flying Dutch
  • The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)
  • Профессия: ведьма (Белорийский цикл о ведьме Вольхе, #1)
  • Did You Say Chicks?! (Chicks in Chainmail, #2)
  • Brittle Innings
  • La Sangre de la Virtud (La Espada de la Verdad, #5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • Glass Dragons
  • Lu-Tze's Yearbook of Enlightenment 2008
  • The Mercenaries
John Moore is an engineer who lives and works in Houston, TX. His stories have appeared in Realms of Fantasy, Tomorrow, New Destinies, Aboriginal SF, Writers of the Future, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine, and other magazines and anthologies. He is the author of six novels in the fantasy and science fiction genre, with the newest, The Lightning Horse , just released from YD Press.

In 2014