Start by marking “Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography” as Want to Read:
Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography

Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This illustrated biography of the 16th president of the United States was originally a companion volume to a historic television documentary. It includes recreated images of Lincoln and his contemporaries from photographs, daguerreotypes, prints and cartoons of the day.
Published September 14th 1999 by Gramercy (first published October 20th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln

Firefly
Until I was in my late 20's, I did not know my second oldest brother very well. About that time, however, circumstances in life brought us together and we found that we shared a deep and abiding love of books. He moved to Denver in 1992 from Los Angeles and every time I was there visiting we would go to The Tattered Cover together, a wonderful multi-story bookstore in Denver. We would spend ours there together, but separately and bump into each other from time to time as our browsing paths cross ...more
Tracey
audio version--since you miss all of the photographs and illustrations, this seems really short (4 hours) and probably would not satisfy any Lincoln buffs, but was interesting enough to listen to.
Jim B
A must read! It contains every known picture of Lincoln, and many of the people around him. The book is so detailed that it covers his presidency by devoting two pages to every month he was in office. It gave insight into the development of Lincoln's views on the reason for the war, slavery, and his incredible compassion and wisdom about people. The description of Lincoln's evolving view of African Americans humanizes him -- and then you see him surpass typical human perceptions on the topic!
Linda Appelbaum
Although a short book, it is full of details about Lincoln and somehow I feel now like I really know and understand the man. He was so compassionate and a far better person than I knew before reading the book. Not affiliated with any church, he was a better man than many who claim to be religious and devout. I would encourage anyone curious about Lincoln to read this book.
Cindy
Fascinating stories about one of our favorite presidents. I loved learning about his life as a boy, and also about his relationship with Mary Todd. After reading this book, I respect Mr. Lincoln even more! Did you know Thanksgiving was his idea? As was paper currency! Well done, sir!
Peregrine 12
The photographs are incredible. The US history displayed here makes me wonder how anyone could have survived it all, much less gone on to forge a new kind of nation. This book is a must-have for fans of Lincoln-era stuff.
Kristen
I read this book because at my mom's house, Lincoln books are one of the only options you have. That or Nancy Drew; I took the high road on this one. I was surprised at how much I learned and enjoyed as I read this book.
R.Friend
As an avid Lincoln reader, I was thrilled when this $50 edition showed up at Tower Records (R.I.P.) for $12.99. I knew there was a reason I kept putting off buying it at full price... It remains one of my all-time faves.
Eric
An adequate biography, I listened to it on a road trip in lieu of Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals," which was not available. A good basic story of our greatest President. Good and still very inspirational.
Lindsay
Our entire family, ages 6 to 37, really liked this book. The photos are mesmerizing, and the accompanying text, when you can tear your eyes away from the photos to read it, is well-written and informative.
Paula
This was a well written and interesting book on Abraham Lincoln and his life. There was a lot in there that I didn't know. I learned a lot from this book and loved the illustrations.
Cheryl
While not the best written Lincoln biography I've read, this book is worth the reading for the fabulous photo collection of Kunhardt's grandfather, Frederick Meserve.
Melanie
Wonderful pictures that make the story of Abraham Lincoln come to life.
Candace
Enjoyed this short but very interesting book on Lincoln.
Nancy L.
Probably my favorite Lincoln book.
Terri Lee
Terri Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Gerald Browne
Gerald Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Dasha
Dasha marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Andrew
Andrew added it
Jun 07, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Nicole Sutliffe
Nicole Sutliffe marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
  • Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe's America
  • The Age of Lincoln
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Lincoln at Cooper Union: The Speech That Made Abraham Lincoln President
  • Lincoln and Chief Justice Taney: Slavery, Secession, and the President's War Powers
  • The Day Lincoln Was Shot
  • Lincoln's Virtues: An Ethical Biography
  • Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural
  • Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power
  • The Gettysburg Gospel: The Lincoln Speech That Nobody Knows
  • Blood on the Moon: The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln
  • Patriarch: George Washington and the New American Nation
  • House of Abraham: Lincoln and the Todds: A Family Divided by War
Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon P. T. Barnum: America's Greatest Showman Life Smiles Back The American President: The Human Drama of Our Nation's Highest Office Life in Camelot: The Kennedy Years