Lovely

Lovely

2.71 of 5 stars 2.71  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  87 reviews
What if you had the chance to go back and change everything? The chance to alter one day, one evening, that would set the stage for your entire life? What about ten times? Ten times to take the same instant and mold it until you make it right, or horribly wrong...

Alice Hawkings was given that chance, to either ultimately save her own life or end it. In ten tries, she has...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Allison Liddelle, via Smashwords (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lovely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovely

Breanne
I feel it to be pre-emptive to call this a book. A good short story? Yes. A good rough draft for a later final work? Yes. But as it stands right now? I wouldn't qualify it to be a book. The basic story is a good one. A good concept, and one that many of us wish we could do. Who wouldn't want to go back and redo a day in our lives differently, or even an hour or so? This book attempts to show one girls story of that very concept.

This is a dark book with a depressing almost gothic theme which mad...more
Turtle
Jun 26, 2013 Turtle rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Turtle by: Nook
Lovely by Allison Liddelle is actually anything but. The first half of the book is disjointed and confusing. It reads like some mopey teenager's journal as she angrily writes out her revenge via suicide. But in truth, the effect is melodramatic. Alice dies so many times that I don't feel the loss. In fact, some of the deaths are so heavily over dramatic that they just don't seem real. In way, they aren't. As they are all supposed to be some weird psychedelic dream sequence.

Smashing mirrors, sta...more
Tracy
This book was just... lovely!(:
At first I was sad because I don't like reading about suicide but with having deja vu's about her parents physically busing her, Alice has a change of mind. Alice has great friends that care for her more than ever and she let her fear get to her. But, I love how this story had twists towards the end. This is a great book if you like weird twists and knowing how someone is feeling during a very bad sitution.

I call this one of my favorites.
Holly (Holly's Reading Hollow)
Warning: My review for Lovely unintentionally ended up being a break down of the book. I was really confused as I read this book and I guess I tried to work out my thoughts by writing this review.

I hadn't heard the best reviews for this book prior to reading Lovely, but I really did start reading the book with a completely open mind and I even sort of like the "interesting" writing style in the beginning.

(view spoiler)...more
Mikayla
(I urge readers to approach this piece of literature with an open mind and heart--preferably without the interference of any of the reviews listed here (including this one). However, if you must hear an honest opinion, please read on.)

After reading the plot blurb, I was immediately intrigued by the idea of living one day ten times over. I wondered: how can one day change a life? And even more importantly, can it change anything at all? So, I read, I processed, and I read again. Then, I felt a w...more
Amy Bailey
I have to admit, I've always hated to see those scathing reviews seem to depict hatred for books that seems it could be unwarranted. And now I'm writing one, but I could never possibly give this book more than one star. I realize it is a self-published work. It did not go through an adequate mandatory editing process, so perhaps a few flaws would be understandable. But when an author clearly demonstrates that she doesn't know the difference between then and than (on multiple occasions!!!) and do...more
Tara
This was a free e-book at BN.com so I figured "what the hay, I'll check it out". It's a self-published work by this author. Although the topic was interesting (being able to repeat one particular day in your life in the hopes of correcting it), I found the story itself pretty depressing. It seemed that the chapters jumped around a lot, and there were several times where I wasn't quite sure how the story got from one place to another. I rarely make comments about grammar and punctuation, but the...more
Mea
Lovely is a self published work by Allison Liddelle.Yes the book had quite a few grammer mistakes as said in almost every review I have read of this book. The book was not all that well put together and it was extremly over dramatic. The author seemed to try to hard to capture the feelings of a depressed,abused teenager,although I did like the beginning how it did not start with the main character but with her friend talking for her as if she was dead and couldn't talk. Liddelle messed that up s...more
Inaara Mavani
To the world, Alice was a beautiful, talented person. But behind that wall, Alice was abused physically and mentally by her parents, leaving her broken and unsatisfied. When she is given 10 chances to redo a day in her life, she must prove herself strong and lovely in her own eyes. With the help of her friends she is able to accomplish her goal.
This short story about child abuse gives us a sense that these things can happen anywhere, to anyone. We may see it and decide to ignore it, but knowing...more
Katy H
Got this as a free nook book and it was REALLY not what I expected. It certainly has a message and a very important one though!

The synopsis given on Goodreads is much better than the one that came as a "Description" w/ the nook book version...I actually liked this, though I wouldn't say it's a favorite. The main characters were relatable (at least to me they were) and there were surprisingly few typos, etc. given that it is self-published. I found myself crying or mildly confused throughout mos...more
April
Oct 16, 2011 April rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone young or old
I downloaded this book as an e-book. I actually liked it. However, the one criticism that I have is that it needs an editor. There were lots of minor spelling errors along with words that were missing or didn't need to actually be there.

But, having said that, I would read it again. It deals with an issue that many people are afraid to talk about. SUICIDE. While it may seem weird that the main character was given 10 chances to decide whether to live or die, it was realistic. Without actually havi...more
Kiirsten
A heavy and dramatic read.

This short novel deals with a very intense subject matter; teenage suicide.

The main character, Alice, attempts to kill herself repeatedly. No one knows that she is unhappy or suffering. Everyone outside of her house uses the term 'lovely' to describe her and she seems to excel in many things.

Her home life is astonishing and makes you very angry for her in the course of reading the short work.

Now, you may be asking, what makes this a short novel and not "BlogFiction"? Th...more
Elizabeth
Although titled Lovely, it is anything but. Most of this book made little sense, only at the end did you realize what happened. I felt bad for Alice, but it wasn't her fault her story was poorly told.
Shannon Stevenson
I read this book before i read the reviews here. I can see where some wouldn't care for it. I can also see where some would love it. In a time where most teen fiction follows a general plot (enjoyable as that plot can be), i found it to be refreshingly unique. A bit dark. A bit hard to follow the jumps. But i almost think that was the whole point! You don't know what's happening anymore than the character does. I think would be a great discussion piece during book club. If you are considering re...more
Holly
This book was a huge disappointment. I read the blurb for it, and it sounded like it would be great. The concept of living the same day over and over until you got it right seemed really fascinating. Then I actually read the book. Alice's suicide attempts were unrealistic and overly dramatic. The plot was fragmented and hard to follow at times. The characters were also generic and I found myself not really caring if Alice lived or died. I actually don't even remember any of the other so called m...more
707ChelseaH
I have to say that I did enjoy the plot of book, but it was really horribly written and there were many grammar mistakes. The book is about a girl named Allison, and she's portrayed a girl who is seen as lovely, but is emotionally and physically scarred. Allison lives a hard life with drunken parents who insult her and beat her brutally daily. I have to admit that although some parents in the world are like this, Allison's parent's seemed a little unreal. I couldn't believe that they were actual...more
Jessica Buike
Honestly, the book blurb didn't really match what was going on in the story. As has been pointed out, the story jumps around a lot, and there are numerous grammatical errors - I'm surprised Barnes and Noble let this be posted to their online store, even if it was free!!

That aside, I think it takes a lot of guts to post about such raw emotions and such a difficult life experience. Surviving abuse is difficult, and I'm sure the author relived some of it as she wrote this book. That's why I think...more
Samira
A girl name Alice, has dreams. But her parents doesnt encourage her. They do the opposite. The father beats her and the mother watches. People call her names and she only has two friends. But they dont even understand her. God gives her a chance to change her life, instead of coming sucidal. She gets it right the several time. She goes to this grown up Eric and she tells him everything. He takes her in, and take custody of her. Her dreams are back but determined to be made.
Arielle Bair
Not very well written. I don't think this person has a good grasp on the English language or realistic dialogue. It was okay and free on iBooks which is how I came across it. The subject matter was not the problem as I understand what the author was trying to portray... But there were so many typos and mistakes that it was unenjoyable. As someone with an English degree I couldn't read this without cringing. I hate to give a bad review, but I like to be honest.
Jolie Corral
Not what I expected from a book titled Lovely. It was a downer and I'm glad that it was a short story and not a full novel. While the premise seemed interesting (getting a do-over), I wasn't drawn in to care about the girl who's parents abused her physically and emotionally and who self mutilated. And am I really to believe she ended up where she did in the end? Given what she had been through there's no way CPS would have allowed it.
Tila
As a self published free e-book I did not have high expectations. The author has guts writing about teen suicide in the depths she took this story to, but I had a hard time figuring out where and when I was in the story. The transitions were undefined and I never really felt like I had an idea of where the story was headed but I do believe this author has an immense amount of promise and look forward to seeing her future work.
I liked the book but it was really depressing. I still liked it in a way but the only thing that was holding me back from giving this book a five star rank was the ending. In my mind I was hoping that she would meet the love of her life and then move in with him(I like romance). I also didn't understand why her parents did that to Alice. Other than those two things I liked the book. Read it if you don't mind depressing books.:)
Catie
Dec 25, 2011 Catie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
this book was free in b&n, so i decided to check it out. i personally really enjoyed the book. the concept of reliving and retrying the most important decision of your life is really interesting. although i agree that this book needs an editor desperately to correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling, the message of the story truely makes it stand out. great, quick read for anyone 14+.
Haaleyy95
Im kind of supprised at myselff ffor likingbthis book. i wasnt expecting much because of the abad reviews that i now realize are only because the book is depressing.
well, it is.
but i liked it. it was different from what i usually read. ive never had any understanding of that kind of depression. that kind of abuse. and i liked learning it. it is nowhere near being a fvorite but its decent
Hannah
It was a good book but I didn't "get it" at all, it was confusing. I got some of it but I felt like it was just a good storyline not explained right. At some parts I felt like I was working too hard to try and understand it. Some good things was that it was full of emotion and good word choice at times. I am not sure I could recommend this book because I didn't fully understand it myself.
Kayla
Liked the detail throughout this book, but it almost seemed TOO short. By the time you got to know the characters, the story was over. The book was also quite depressing in itself, and I found myself lost throughout the entire reading because it seemed as though the chapters jumped from one thing to the next. They didn't flow together very well, and it was hard to follow.
Gi-Gi
It was a really quick read and I enjoyed it. It was pretty much just thoughts of a young depressed suicidal teenager living a hard life she really wanted to escape from. Honestly I think people who have gone through depression, are currently going through it, or had a close family member or friend go through depression would appreciate this book a lot more than other people.
Brianne
Book # 28 of 2011 - TERRIBLE. What a horribly written and just, unenjoyable book. This was free on my nook and now I know why. The writing is terrible. The story is horrible - a young teenage girl who is beaten by her parents and want to kill herself over and over - is not developed, but just rehashes her killing herself in 10-11 different ways. Don't even bother.
Ashley Fierro

What an effin WASTE OF TIME!

The story jumps around without focus or any real concept of understanding.
Arburtha
I really do not know what or how to rate this book? The story line was very depressing but accurate, I suppose? I have never really thought about this subject matter seriously enough to attempt it much less carry it out! If, however, this book can help other's who feel this way then it has some worth. Not a very good story otherwise.
Stop saying bad reviews! 4 13 Oct 27, 2011 09:40AM
  • Life Blood
  • Stella
  • Alinora
  • Eternity
  • Linger
  • Dark World
  • Fallen Grace (Fallen Grace, #1)
  • Lose Weight Without Dieting
  • The Labyrinth
  • After Dark
  • The Call
  • The Unsuspecting Mage (The Morcyth Saga, #1)
  • The Value of Life
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Evergreen A Christmas Tale
  • The Thirteenth Unicorn
  • Golde the Mother (Lost Tales of Mercia, #1)