Start by marking “The Inquisition War” as Want to Read:
The Inquisition War

The Inquisition War (Warhammer 40,000)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In the aftermath of the bloody suppression of an alien-influenced rebellion, Inquisitor Jaq Draco discovers a bizarre entity that may prove to be the salvation of mankind or be the means of it's destruction. Declared a renegade of the Imperium Draco, his assassin consort and a Space Marine trek the galaxy in search of the mysterious Black Library and information that can o ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Games Workshop(uk)

To ask other readers questions about The Inquisition War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inquisition War

Tim Taylor
Beautifully insane and masterfully written by an author with enough confidence and skill to unhinge his brain and let the daemonic possession flow through him and onto the page... and into you the reader.

Apparently this set of early Warhammer 40k books (and novellas) come from a slightly different angle than later 40k books. I can’t comment on that as these are the only 40k books I’ve read. To be honest, the 40k universe described here is so real and so overwhelming that I am reluctant to read
Rooney
This book is difficult. I like it because it harks back to a bygone era of Warhammer 40,000 where the game was more squad based skirmishes than full scale battles. Namely, Rogue Trader. Being a gamer from the early nineties (when this book was written) I can understand where the author's coming from, and smile wryly at the peculiar goings-on a references. Someone reading this without the advantage of having been there would not have a clue what the author was prattling on about.

Even so, this no
Gelu
This book is quite difficult, especially if this is one of the first of your books set in the Warhammer 40k universe. There are some parts in which Watson goes over the top, yet he manages to do so while keeping a specific atmosphere. The narrative is quite awkward, the characters are thin and the interaction between them could have been better, yet the action and events make up for most of it.
Steven van Hasselt
Seems like the notes of a badly railroaded and deus-exed warhammer roleplaying game. This is one to skip.
Voyou
Intuitions of great brass-bound, hex-stamped alien tomes, brittle with age, infested Azul. Sensations of arcane incunabula and palimpsests and chained libers. Of ranks of daemonic codices and opuscules – the very words of which might melt the eye to keep the brain from imbibing what was writ. Impressions of labyrinthine ebon passageways and inky halls and chambers and cubicles wherein books themselves were luminous, phosphorescent. Impressions of a maze so extensive that an ignorant wanderer mig
Mark
This is my first foray into the Warhammer 40K universe and I really enjoyed it!

The world is amazing - I LOVE it and really wish I had created it lol.

Watson's writing is gorgeous, although I did find his narrative to be a little disjointed and fragmented. But wow - it's great stuff.

The third part of the trilogy/omnibus was the weakest for me, although it still had really cool lore.

I understand that this trilogy is considered 'old school' amongst 40K aficionado's so I am interested to see what t
Christian
This book is intensely, intensely disturbing. Written in the early history of the evolution of the Warhammer 40K universe it shows just how appalingly grim and more than anything else, hopeless, the universe is. As you read, ou realize that the characters are insane and that they are unreliable narrators. It's absolutely breathtaking in it's depth of depravity and lunacy. This is not for the faint of heart. Reading this is the start of a deep and existential crisis of faith (for Imperium lovers ...more
Taddow
Being a big fan of Warhammer 40,000 Inquisition stories and fluff, I realize that this is some of the earlier fiction of the setting which is still appealing but lacks the development that is found in the later Inquisition-related works (such as the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series). With this is mind, I still give kudos to Ian Watson for spinning an intriguing (though depressing) story that lives up to the bleak Warhammer 40K universe.
Metrilenkki
The main characters are all in some form of psychosis, everything is horrible and the universe is fucked. All in all a definitive Warhammer 40k book.
Tom
Overlooked, this is one of the greatest Omnibi in the 40k universe. It is interesting to consider what is canon and why, but this series offers a very unique and intriguing perspective into the Warhammer 40k universe. One that is entirely unrepeated elsewhere.
Darren
The prose is hard to follow at times but the characters are interesting from the get go. Sadly the plot loses steam in the third book/act which acts more like a drawn out closure, but overall a good story in the 40K universe.
R.
Dec 03, 2008 R. marked it as to-read
This craptacular pulp was bought at the library, because I've been curious about the Warhammer series and...and it has this blurb:

'A ceaseless flow of ideas' - J.G. Ballard

Well, then.
Mark Horner
Not sure how this book series received low marks but I was impressed by it. I've always had penchant for Imperial Commissars & Inquisitors in the WH40K universe.
Daniel Pryn
Daniel Pryn marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Sammael El'Jacson
Sammael El'Jacson marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
George Sinclair
George Sinclair marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Kendall McKee
Kendall McKee marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
  • Deathwing
  • Scourge the Heretic
  • Sons of Fenris
  • Dark Disciple
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Angels of Darkness
  • Fifteen Hours
  • Nocturne
  • Architect of Fate
  • The Emperor's Gift

Warhammer 40,000 (1 - 10 of 659 books)
  • Horus Rising
  • Legion
  • Battle for the Abyss
  • Mechanicum
  • Tales of Heresy
Space Marine (Warhammer 40,000) The Embedding Draco (Warhammer) The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories Harlequin (Inquisition War Trilogy)