Start by marking “The Inquisition War” as Want to Read:
The Inquisition War

The Inquisition War (Warhammer 40,000: The Inquisition War #1-3)

In the aftermath of the bloody suppression of an alien-influenced rebellion, Inquisitor Jaq Draco discovers a bizarre entity that may prove to be the salvation of mankind or be the means of it's destruction. Declared a renegade of the Imperium Draco, his assassin consort and a Space Marine trek the galaxy in search of the mysterious Black Library and information that can o ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Games Workshop(uk) (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Inquisition War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inquisition War

Tim Taylor
Sep 08, 2011 Tim Taylor rated it really liked it
Beautifully insane and masterfully written by an author with enough confidence and skill to unhinge his brain and let the daemonic possession flow through him and onto the page... and into you the reader.

Apparently this set of early Warhammer 40k books (and novellas) come from a slightly different angle than later 40k books. I can’t comment on that as these are the only 40k books I’ve read. To be honest, the 40k universe described here is so real and so overwhelming that I am reluctant to read
Rooney
Jul 29, 2010 Rooney rated it liked it
This book is difficult. I like it because it harks back to a bygone era of Warhammer 40,000 where the game was more squad based skirmishes than full scale battles. Namely, Rogue Trader. Being a gamer from the early nineties (when this book was written) I can understand where the author's coming from, and smile wryly at the peculiar goings-on a references. Someone reading this without the advantage of having been there would not have a clue what the author was prattling on about.

Even so, this no
Gelu
Aug 07, 2012 Gelu rated it liked it
This book is quite difficult, especially if this is one of the first of your books set in the Warhammer 40k universe. There are some parts in which Watson goes over the top, yet he manages to do so while keeping a specific atmosphere. The narrative is quite awkward, the characters are thin and the interaction between them could have been better, yet the action and events make up for most of it.
Steven van Hasselt
Seems like the notes of a badly railroaded and deus-exed warhammer roleplaying game. This is one to skip.
Voyou
Mar 21, 2012 Voyou rated it liked it
Intuitions of great brass-bound, hex-stamped alien tomes, brittle with age, infested Azul. Sensations of arcane incunabula and palimpsests and chained libers. Of ranks of daemonic codices and opuscules – the very words of which might melt the eye to keep the brain from imbibing what was writ. Impressions of labyrinthine ebon passageways and inky halls and chambers and cubicles wherein books themselves were luminous, phosphorescent. Impressions of a maze so extensive that an ignorant wanderer mig
Mark
Feb 17, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is my first foray into the Warhammer 40K universe and I really enjoyed it!

The world is amazing - I LOVE it and really wish I had created it lol.

Watson's writing is gorgeous, although I did find his narrative to be a little disjointed and fragmented. But wow - it's great stuff.

The third part of the trilogy/omnibus was the weakest for me, although it still had really cool lore.

I understand that this trilogy is considered 'old school' amongst 40K aficionado's so I am interested to see what t
Christian
Jan 28, 2012 Christian rated it did not like it
This book is intensely, intensely disturbing. Written in the early history of the evolution of the Warhammer 40K universe it shows just how appalingly grim and more than anything else, hopeless, the universe is. As you read, ou realize that the characters are insane and that they are unreliable narrators. It's absolutely breathtaking in it's depth of depravity and lunacy. This is not for the faint of heart. Reading this is the start of a deep and existential crisis of faith (for Imperium lovers ...more
Taddow
Jan 01, 2013 Taddow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer-40-000
Being a big fan of Warhammer 40,000 Inquisition stories and fluff, I realize that this is some of the earlier fiction of the setting which is still appealing but lacks the development that is found in the later Inquisition-related works (such as the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series). With this is mind, I still give kudos to Ian Watson for spinning an intriguing (though depressing) story that lives up to the bleak Warhammer 40K universe.
Metrilenkki
The main characters are all in some form of psychosis, everything is horrible and the universe is fucked. All in all a definitive Warhammer 40k book.
Chip Hunter
Dec 30, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first (if not the very first) WH40K series. This is also one of the most mature, almost high-brow, WH40K books I've come across. Ian Watson writes using sometimes very obscure adjectives and adverbs that might considerably slow down your reading speed, but succeeds in casting the world of WH40K in an even more dark and disturbing light than usual. That being said, this is still an action-packed and fun novel that you'll want to read when you should be doing your errands.

The st
Ethan
Feb 25, 2016 Ethan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer-40k
The Inquisition War combines three separate novels, telling the story of Jaq Draco, Imperial Inquisitor and his companions, as they battle an Eldar plot. Inquisition War is readable and enjoyable, the only real problem is that it's fairly easy to tell it was written as three books, the first book introduces the menace of the Hydra, a creature with psychic abilities that is introduced to countless worlds in order to eventually control the minds of all humans to destroy Chaos once and for all. In ...more
R.
Dec 03, 2008 R. marked it as to-read
This craptacular pulp was bought at the library, because I've been curious about the Warhammer series and...and it has this blurb:

'A ceaseless flow of ideas' - J.G. Ballard

Well, then.
Tom
Dec 04, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing
Overlooked, this is one of the greatest Omnibi in the 40k universe. It is interesting to consider what is canon and why, but this series offers a very unique and intriguing perspective into the Warhammer 40k universe. One that is entirely unrepeated elsewhere.
Darren
Mar 29, 2014 Darren rated it liked it
The prose is hard to follow at times but the characters are interesting from the get go. Sadly the plot loses steam in the third book/act which acts more like a drawn out closure, but overall a good story in the 40K universe.
Mark Horner
Mar 03, 2013 Mark Horner rated it it was amazing
Not sure how this book series received low marks but I was impressed by it. I've always had penchant for Imperial Commissars & Inquisitors in the WH40K universe.
Emily Banks
Emily Banks rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Siomi Escobedo
Siomi Escobedo rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Tom Leeland
Tom Leeland rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Shadowsong82
Shadowsong82 rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2012
Nat
Nat rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Aaron Agrelius
Aaron Agrelius rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2014
Johnny Profane
Johnny Profane rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Cj
Cj rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Markus Klein
Markus Klein rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2016
Henning
Henning rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2007
Bill Loth
Bill Loth rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Matt rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2014
  • Scourge the Heretic
  • Dark Disciple
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Angels of Darkness
  • Storm of Iron
  • Nocturne
  • Victories of the Space Marines
  • The Emperor's Gift
  • Execution Hour (the Gothic war, #1)
  • The Hunt for Voldorius

Warhammer 40,000: The Inquisition War (3 books)
  • Draco (Warhammer)
  • Harlequin (Inquisition War Trilogy)
  • Chaos Child