Start by marking “Every Thing on It” as Want to Read:
Every Thing on It

Every Thing on It

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,876 Ratings  ·  487 Reviews
A spider lives inside my head
Who weaves a strange and wondrous web
Of silken threads and silver strings
To catch all sorts of flying things,
Like crumbs of thought and bits of smiles
And specks of dried-up tears,
And dust of dreams that catch and cling
For years and years and years . . .

Have you ever read a book with everything on it? Well, here it is, an amazing collection of n
Published September 20th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Every Thing on It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Thing on It

Okay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtA Monster Calls by Patrick NessWonderstruck by Brian SelznickDivergent by Veronica RothInside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Newbery 2012
82nd out of 141 books — 721 voters
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisMatilda by Roald DahlCharlie And The Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlAn Elephant Is On My House by O.D.D. Cummings
Best books for children that adults should also read
78th out of 359 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
There really is a Dead Poets Society, and Shel Silverstein must be the president. Imagine my delight (and my goosebumps) when I learned that he had put out another book of poetry and pictures just for me---FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!

I don't want to share too much, because the joy of reading Shel's poems is in the surprise you get when you hit the best lines. You also really need the artwork to fully appreciate the poems.
Here's the first poem in the book:

YEARS FROM NOW

Although I cannot see your face
Morgan
Sep 23, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it
So many poems to LOVE! One of my faves:

DON'T CHANGE ON MY ACCOUNT
If you're sloppy, that's just fine.
If you're moody, I won't mind.
If you're fat, that's fine with me.
If you're skinny, let it be.
If you're bossy, that's all right.
If you're nasty, I won't fight.
If you're rough, well that's just you.
If you're mean, that's all right too.
Whatever you are is all okay.
I don't like you anyway.

Ha! He was so funny :) There are a few people I'd love to send this poem to!
Scarlet Cameo
Jul 25, 2016 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it
Shel Silverstein es un escritor que adoro, más allá de si sus libros son para niños siempre esconden cierta sabiduría para jóvenes y adultos pero definitivamente creo que sus poemas, en su mayoría, no son para mi, o al menos no cuando trata de ser gracioso. Hay algunos poemas que destacan por ser tan lindos, siendo mi favorito de toda la vida Happy ending? , pero la mayoría de ellos no son para mi, no logro captar el humor o simplemente no me divierten, por lo que no me dejan esa sensación marav ...more
Sarah Roden
Oct 21, 2011 Sarah Roden rated it it was amazing
Ava is reading this delightfully by herself and with us at night. As soon as I handed it to her, she sat down and read it for 20 minutes, laughing every few pages. It is wonderful. Shel Silverstein was a genius. He is able to tap into the heart of the child in all of us in such a unique way. Add this to your collection!
Ehsan Shariaty
هروقت هوای کودکی کردی باید سری به نوشتههای کودک درونشل سیلور استاین بزنی ...more
Kellee
Reviewed at:

Anyone who follows me on Twitter knows that I agonized about how to rate this book. I love Shel Silverstein and before this book I would have said "and everything he writes"; however, I cannot say that any more. Every Thing On It was such a mish-mash of poems. I think that Shel may not have put him in his other anthologies because he knew that they did not work. Some as fantastic, carefree and fun as I remember Shel, but others were not. Some
Kristi
Nov 06, 2011 Kristi rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I've been a fan of Shel Silverstein since my early days of reading. I remember reading Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Falling Up! When I received a copy of Everything On It for review I was instantly taken back to those days in elementary school where my view of poetry expanded beyond the world of rhyming poems. I remember being fascinated by the worlds he created in a just few simple lines.

As an adult reading the poems in Every Thing On It, I was still fascinated! I giggled
Alex
Mar 07, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
I can't believe there's going to be a new Shel Silverstein collection of never-before-published poems! I loved his books so much as a kid, and was so sad when he died.

UPDATE:

This is kind of impossible to rate, because I am obviously not the target demographic for these books anymore. As a kid, I would have loved this just as much as the other three, but reading it now gave me a few mild chuckles and smiles. Overall though, I was left with a nice peaceful feeling of being back with these ridiculo
Becky
Sep 24, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 7 & up
Shelves: tweens, funny, poetry, kids
I loved Shel Silverstein as a kid, particularly Where the Sidewalk Ends. I read it over and over. This new, posthumous collection is every bit as whimsical, funny, gross, and touching as I hoped it would be. It has a little bit of everything, and left me smiling, laughing, and even with some goosebumps. Grown-ups who loved Silverstein as kids will love this one too, and hopefully a new generation will become fans as well.
Chista Rasouli
اعتراض خود به دیر شناختن شل سیلور استاین را اعلام میکنم!
+ چه نقاشیهای خوبی، چه چهرههای دوستداشتنیای، چه نقاشیهای خوبی، چه نقاشیهای خوبی ...
Ronyell
May 05, 2013 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Shel Silverstein fans!!!
Silverstein

After reading many of Shel Silverstein’s books including Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic, I stumbled upon one of his most recent books, which is called “Every Thing on It” and it is just as surreal and hilarious as his previous works!

Basically, this book contains poems written by Shel Silverstein and some of my favorites include:

All Packed

Me and Joe, we’re all packed up,
Me and Joe, we’ve got our tickets,
Me and Joe, we’re set to go-
Hey, wait a minute…
Where’s Joe?

Whoosh

My
katsok
Sep 27, 2011 katsok rated it it was amazing
My parents purchased The Sidewalk Ends for me in second grade. I still have my copy, with my name lettered inside the front copy. The book is basically falling apart, it has been read and reread so many times. It is in my classroom library now so my students can see what it looks like when a book is loved. I will be forever grateful for a new volume in my Silverstein collection, made all the more special because it seemed impossible. And this one is destined to be as special to a new generation ...more
Angela
May 18, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shel Silverstein was my hero when I was nine, so I've added this new collection to that list based on just the few sample poems included in my review copy. The perfect line illustrations and provocative poems are just as wonderful as the classic collections.

Give a reluctant reader a Silverstein collection, sit back, and let them devour the delectable creations from the brain of a literary genius.

I know Shel Silverstein is on the Banned and Challenged lists is many states, but I have to say I fi
Saghar
Aug 30, 2015 Saghar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
از بهترین کتاب ها برای سفر کردن به دوران خوش کودکی
Ahmad Sharabiani
ساندویچ پرملات، مجموعه ای چون همیشه بی نظیر، از شعرها و نقاشیهای شاعر محبوب بچه ها «شل سیلوراستاین» است، کتاب را بردارید و اجازه دهید جادوی «شل سیلوراستاین» دریچه ی مغزتان را ببندد، و دريچه ی قلبتان را بگشاید. انگار آنگاه که «عموشلبی» شعر «سالها بعد از این» را مینوشت، میدانست پس از مرگش، آن شعرها و تصاویر زیبا و ماندگار و بیمانند، برجای میمانند، و دوستدارانش را شاد میکنند. «سیلور استاین» به خوانشگر جوانش میگوید: «گرچه نمیتونم صورتت رو ببینم، اما از یه جای دور صدای خنده ات رو میشنوم و لبخند میزنم ...more
Amy
Dec 15, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Classic Silverstein and I loved it. Most of it made me laugh and some of it is gross which is why he is so popular.
One of my favorites:

DON'T CHANGE ON MY ACCOUNT

“If you’re sloppy, that’s just fine.
If you’re moody, I won’t mind.
If you’re fat, that’s fine with me.
If you’re skinny, let it be.
If you’re bossy, that’s alright.
If you’re nasty, I won’t fight.
If you’re rough, well that’s just you.
If you’re mean, that’s alright too.
Whatever you are is all okay.
I don’t like you anyway.”
Andrew Jacob Torres
Feb 16, 2016 Andrew Jacob Torres rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
"How much will you pay for an extra day?"
The clock man asked the child.
"Not one penny," the answer came,
"For my days are as many as smiles."

"How much will you pay for an extra day?"
He asked when the child was grown.
"Maybe a dollar or maybe less,
For I've plenty of days of my own."

"How much will you pay for an extra day?"
He asked when the time came to die.
"All of the pearls in all of the seas,
And all of the stars in the sky."

There were only about 5 more gems such as this one in this posthumous col
پگاه
Nov 30, 2013 پگاه rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: همه‌ی فن‌های عموشلبی
Recommended to پگاه by: آقای شهرکتاب
صد قصهی شیرینتر از عسل برای تو گفتم
هزارترانهی دلنشین برای تو خواندم
یک میلیون شعر خندهدار برای تو سرودم
(گیریم که در وزن و قافیه هم گاهی کم آردم)
یک میلیارد نقاشی برایت کشیدم
حالا بیا
بیا رفیق عزیز و باوفایم
یکبار هم تو
بگوبخوان بکِش بسُرا برایم

عااالی بود! ترجمهی رضیهیرمندی هم که فوقالعاده اصن! کاملن قافیه داشت خیلی جاها!:)
Lynn
Dec 07, 2011 Lynn rated it it was amazing
The only poet I ever, truly enjoyed! Just finished "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard...time for some light reading.
Josiah
Sep 01, 2012 Josiah rated it really liked it
Shel Silverstein really did take the art of writing poetry for kids to new heights, didn't he? I've never read anything else like this book. Packed with nearly two hundred poems of varying length, style and attitude, Every Thing On It is a masterful piece of pithy thought and comedic pathos, crafted beautifully and without any agenda other than providing the best possible literature for young readers. Most of the poems can be read in straightforward appreciation for the humor that they contain, ...more
Brandi
Apr 23, 2012 Brandi rated it it was amazing
We all have favorite authors that are exciting to share. Shel Silverstein is one of those authors for me, and I hope he is for you, too. Many times did I try to stay home from school by quoting “Sick.” I tormented my sibling with “Sister For Sale.” One of the cutest things I have ever seen is a group of preschoolers acting out being eaten by boa constrictors. Last September an amazing thing happened: a new Shel Silverstein book came out!
Every Thing On It finds an honored place next to Where Th
Joel
Nov 15, 2011 Joel rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth collection of poetry and cartoon art, following the wildly popular "Where the Sidewalk Ends", "A Light in the Attic", and "Falling Up". Fans of the late songwriter won't be disappointed by the genius rhymes and zany illustrations that dominated the earlier works. It's probably no secret that a rhyming dictionary was buried alongside Shel Silverstein.

Much like the others, this book comprises over 150 poems, mostly nonsense, but there are intriguing patterns and verses. A perso
Nov 02, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, poetry
He is one of my idols, so hard to go wrong with Shel's genius. This new collection of poetry is published posthumous, which had me a little skeptical about quality, but they are just as good as his previous. Some of my favorites:

DON'T CHANGE ON MY ACCOUNT
If you're sloppy, that's just fine.
If you're moody, I won't mind.
If you're fat, that's fine with me.
If you're skinny, let it be.
If you're bossy, that's all right.
If you're nasty, I won't fight.
If you're rough, well that's just you.
If you're mean
Dolly
Nov 07, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I have loved Shel Silverstein's books for decades. Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic were two of my favorite books as a child. So, when I heard that a new book was being released, I just couldn't wait to share it with our girls.

I had a lot of fun reading these poems to our girls. They are very reminiscent of his earlier works, although somehow they felt a bit more melancholy to me (perhaps because it was published posthumously.) Still, the illustrations are just as whimsical as e
Mohammad Javad
Dec 31, 2015 Mohammad Javad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
نمیدونم واقعا چی میشه گفت راجع به این کتاب . عمو شلبی رو بی نهایت دوست دارم ولیکن ترجمه کتاب به دلم ننشت ، از مقدمه مترجم (آقای مهدی افشار) مشخصه که ایشون اصلا سیلور استاین رو تا پیش ازین نمیشناخته و آثارشو نخونده بوده و احتمالا تنها نامش رو شنیده بوده،قابل مقایسه با ترجمه های یغما گلرویی از زبان شعری عمو شلبی نیست . شعر زیر ازین کتاب دوست دارم :

UNHAPPY HERE

mail me somewhere
mail me somewhwre
wrap me and pack me
and mail me somewhere.
parcel post,UPS,
regular mail or air,
all wrapped up in brown paper
Beth
Apr 30, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a kid and now I'm re-reading it as an adult with my two little boys. They love it as much as I did, they're rapt. And I never realized how much I missed as a child, there is more subtlety and poignancy to some of the poems than you would expect.
Beth Harati
Oct 05, 2011 Beth Harati rated it it was amazing
Oh happy day! Just bought this wonderful book today! It is great! Pure Shel delights! Read parts of it to a children's group at our local book store this morning & they loved it. They were ages 1-5. It starts with

Years From Now
Although I cannot see your face
As you flip these poems awhile
Somewhere from some far-off place
I hear you laughing-and I smile.

(I am sure Shel was smiling a lot this morning as the children not only smiled but laughed out loud!)

It ends with this poem:

When I Am Gone

Whe
Joleen
Dec 16, 2015 Joleen rated it it was amazing
I've grown up loving poems and drawings by Shel Silverstein. This book just really fueled that love and passion I had for his poems as a child. These poems in the books are just classic, and can be read to children in years to come.
Kim Pocock
Mar 30, 2015 Kim Pocock rated it really liked it
I enjoy the ones he sticks in every once in awhile that have some deeper meaning. Don't know if I liked it as much as Where the Sidewalk Ends or A Light in the Attic, but that's probably because I grew up with those. Still good for a classic, silly read.
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I read this book to Madeleine, and she found it both amusing & tiresome, depending on her mood.

I agreed with her.
  • Lemonade: and Other Poems Squeezed from a Single Word
  • BookSpeak!: Poems about Books
  • I've Lost My Hippopotamus
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku
  • I Am the Book
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • Forget-Me-Nots: Poems to Learn by Heart
  • Firefly July A Year of Very Short Poems
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • A Dazzling Display of Dogs
  • Peaceful Pieces: Poems and Quilts About Peace
  • Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings
  • Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems
  • Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems)
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...

“There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part,
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.”
4403 likes