Start by marking “Every Thing on It” as Want to Read:

To catch all sorts of flying things,
Like crumbs of thought and bits of smiles
And specks of dried-up tears,
And dust of dreams that catch and cling
For years and years and years . . .

Have you ever read a book with everything on it? Well, here it is, an amazing collection of n...more
Published September 20th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Every Thing on It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Thing on It

Okay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtA Monster Calls by Patrick NessWonderstruck by Brian SelznickDivergent by Veronica RothInside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Newbery 2012
86th out of 167 books — 675 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryCulloo by Murielle CyrMatilda by Roald DahlThe Witches by Roald Dahl
Best books for children that adults should also read
62nd out of 263 books — 199 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
There really is a Dead Poets Society, and Shel Silverstein must be the president. Imagine my delight (and my goosebumps) when I learned that he had put out another book of poetry and pictures just for me---FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!

I don't want to share too much, because the joy of reading Shel's poems is in the surprise you get when you hit the best lines. You also really need the artwork to fully appreciate the poems.
Here's the first poem in the book:

YEARS FROM NOW

Although I cannot see your face...more
Cheryl
Sorry, I can't seem to put together a coherent review. If you want my personal and idiosyncratic reaction, read on. If you want a well-written review, move on.

If you own the other three, you'll want to buy this. I will be buying this to re-read often. After all, my teenage son and husband both are fans, too. If you've ever enjoyed anything by Silverstein, at least read this. Then buy the set.

I do believe I can tell it was edited posthumously - it isn't quite as perfect as the first three. But g...more
Morgan
So many poems to LOVE! One of my faves:

DON'T CHANGE ON MY ACCOUNT
If you're sloppy, that's just fine.
If you're moody, I won't mind.
If you're fat, that's fine with me.
If you're skinny, let it be.
If you're bossy, that's all right.
If you're nasty, I won't fight.
If you're rough, well that's just you.
If you're mean, that's all right too.
Whatever you are is all okay.
I don't like you anyway.

Ha! He was so funny :) There are a few people I'd love to send this poem to!
Sarah Roden
Ava is reading this delightfully by herself and with us at night. As soon as I handed it to her, she sat down and read it for 20 minutes, laughing every few pages. It is wonderful. Shel Silverstein was a genius. He is able to tap into the heart of the child in all of us in such a unique way. Add this to your collection!
Kellee
Reviewed at:

Anyone who follows me on Twitter knows that I agonized about how to rate this book. I love Shel Silverstein and before this book I would have said "and everything he writes"; however, I cannot say that any more. Every Thing On It was such a mish-mash of poems. I think that Shel may not have put him in his other anthologies because he knew that they did not work. Some as fantastic, carefree and fun as I remember Shel, but others were not. Some...more
Kristi
I've been a fan of Shel Silverstein since my early days of reading. I remember reading Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Falling Up! When I received a copy of Everything On It for review I was instantly taken back to those days in elementary school where my view of poetry expanded beyond the world of rhyming poems. I remember being fascinated by the worlds he created in a just few simple lines.

As an adult reading the poems in Every Thing On It, I was still fascinated! I giggled...more
Alex
I can't believe there's going to be a new Shel Silverstein collection of never-before-published poems! I loved his books so much as a kid, and was so sad when he died.

UPDATE:

This is kind of impossible to rate, because I am obviously not the target demographic for these books anymore. As a kid, I would have loved this just as much as the other three, but reading it now gave me a few mild chuckles and smiles. Overall though, I was left with a nice peaceful feeling of being back with these ridiculo...more
Becky
Sep 24, 2011 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 7 & up
Shelves: funny, kids, poetry, tweens
I loved Shel Silverstein as a kid, particularly Where the Sidewalk Ends. I read it over and over. This new, posthumous collection is every bit as whimsical, funny, gross, and touching as I hoped it would be. It has a little bit of everything, and left me smiling, laughing, and even with some goosebumps. Grown-ups who loved Silverstein as kids will love this one too, and hopefully a new generation will become fans as well.
Ronyell
Silverstein

After reading many of Shel Silverstein’s books including Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic, I stumbled upon one of his most recent books, which is called “Every Thing on It” and it is just as surreal and hilarious as his previous works!

Basically, this book contains poems written by Shel Silverstein and some of my favorites include:

All Packed

Me and Joe, we’re all packed up,
Me and Joe, we’ve got our tickets,
Me and Joe, we’re set to go-
Hey, wait a minute…
Where’s Joe?

Whoosh

My hai...more
katsok
My parents purchased The Sidewalk Ends for me in second grade. I still have my copy, with my name lettered inside the front copy. The book is basically falling apart, it has been read and reread so many times. It is in my classroom library now so my students can see what it looks like when a book is loved. I will be forever grateful for a new volume in my Silverstein collection, made all the more special because it seemed impossible. And this one is destined to be as special to a new generation...more
Angela
Shel Silverstein was my hero when I was nine, so I've added this new collection to that list based on just the few sample poems included in my review copy. The perfect line illustrations and provocative poems are just as wonderful as the classic collections.

Give a reluctant reader a Silverstein collection, sit back, and let them devour the delectable creations from the brain of a literary genius.

I know Shel Silverstein is on the Banned and Challenged lists is many states, but I have to say I fi...more
Amy
Classic Silverstein and I loved it. Most of it made me laugh and some of it is gross which is why he is so popular.
One of my favorites:

DON'T CHANGE ON MY ACCOUNT

“If you’re sloppy, that’s just fine.
If you’re moody, I won’t mind.
If you’re fat, that’s fine with me.
If you’re skinny, let it be.
If you’re bossy, that’s alright.
If you’re nasty, I won’t fight.
If you’re rough, well that’s just you.
If you’re mean, that’s alright too.
Whatever you are is all okay.
I don’t like you anyway.”
پگاه
Nov 30, 2013 پگاه rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: همه‌ی فن‌های عموشلبی
Recommended to پگاه by: آقای شهرکتاب
صد قصه‌ی شیرین‌تر از عسل برای تو گفتم
هزارترانه‌ی دل‌نشین برای تو خواندم
یک میلیون شعر خنده‌دار برای تو سرودم
(گیریم که در وزن و قافیه هم گاهی کم آردم)
یک میلیارد نقاشی برایت کشیدم
حالا بیا
بیا رفیق عزیز و باوفایم
یک‌بار هم تو
بگوبخوان بکِش بسُرا برایم

عااالی بود! ترجمه‌ی رضی‌هیرمندی هم که فوق‌العاده اصن! کاملن قافیه داشت خیلی جاها!:)
Lynn
The only poet I ever, truly enjoyed! Just finished "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard...time for some light reading.
Josiah
Shel Silverstein really did take the art of writing poetry for kids to new heights, didn't he? I've never read anything else like this book. Packed with nearly two hundred poems of varying length, style and attitude, Every Thing On It is a masterful piece of pithy thought and comedic pathos, crafted beautifully and without any agenda other than providing the best possible literature for young readers. Most of the poems can be read in straightforward appreciation for the humor that they contain,...more
Brandi
We all have favorite authors that are exciting to share. Shel Silverstein is one of those authors for me, and I hope he is for you, too. Many times did I try to stay home from school by quoting “Sick.” I tormented my sibling with “Sister For Sale.” One of the cutest things I have ever seen is a group of preschoolers acting out being eaten by boa constrictors. Last September an amazing thing happened: a new Shel Silverstein book came out!
Every Thing On It finds an honored place next to Where Th...more
Joel
This is the fourth collection of poetry and cartoon art, following the wildly popular "Where the Sidewalk Ends", "A Light in the Attic", and "Falling Up". Fans of the late songwriter won't be disappointed by the genius rhymes and zany illustrations that dominated the earlier works. It's probably no secret that a rhyming dictionary was buried alongside Shel Silverstein.

Much like the others, this book comprises over 150 poems, mostly nonsense, but there are intriguing patterns and verses. A perso...more
He is one of my idols, so hard to go wrong with Shel's genius. This new collection of poetry is published posthumous, which had me a little skeptical about quality, but they are just as good as his previous. Some of my favorites:

DON'T CHANGE ON MY ACCOUNT
If you're sloppy, that's just fine.
If you're moody, I won't mind.
If you're fat, that's fine with me.
If you're skinny, let it be.
If you're bossy, that's all right.
If you're nasty, I won't fight.
If you're rough, well that's just you.
If you're mean...more
Dolly
Nov 07, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I have loved Shel Silverstein's books for decades. Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic were two of my favorite books as a child. So, when I heard that a new book was being released, I just couldn't wait to share it with our girls.

I had a lot of fun reading these poems to our girls. They are very reminiscent of his earlier works, although somehow they felt a bit more melancholy to me (perhaps because it was published posthumously.) Still, the illustrations are just as whimsical as e...more
Beth Harati
Oh happy day! Just bought this wonderful book today! It is great! Pure Shel delights! Read parts of it to a children's group at our local book store this morning & they loved it. They were ages 1-5. It starts with

Years From Now
Although I cannot see your face
As you flip these poems awhile
Somewhere from some far-off place
I hear you laughing-and I smile.

(I am sure Shel was smiling a lot this morning as the children not only smiled but laughed out loud!)

It ends with this poem:

When I Am Gone

Whe...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
ساندویچ پرملات، مجموعه ای چون همیشه بی نظیر، از شعرها و نقاشیهای شاعر محبوب بچه ها «شل سیلوراستاین» است، کتاب را بردارید و اجازه دهید جادوی «شل سیلوراستاین» دریچه ی مغزتان را ببندد، و دريچه ی قلبتان را بگشاید. انگار آنگاه که «عموشلبی» شعر «سالها بعد از این» را مینوشت، میدانست پس از مرگش، آن شعرها و تصاویر زیبا و ماندگار و بیمانند، برجای میمانند، و دوستدارانش را شاد میکنند. «سیلور استاین» به خوانشگر جوانش میگوید: «گرچه نمیتونم صورتت رو ببینم، اما از یه جای دور صدای خنده ات رو میشنوم و لبخند میزنم...more
Tabatha
Every Thing On It by Shel Silverstein is one of my all-time favorite books. The haunting yet tranquil tone introduced in the first poem, Years From Now, is the number one reason I would recommend it. In the poem, Silverstein states "although I cannot see your face/as you flip these poems awhile/somewhere from some far-off place/I hear you laughing - and I smile." This poem (and book) was published years after Silverstein died! When alive, Silverstein was known for his love of comedy and the infe...more
Sarah Foote
Everything On It is a book of Shel Silverstein’s poems and drawings. Each poem is unique however there are connections that maybe made between them. There are poems that list items related to each other. Some are though provoking, such as “When I Am Gone” p. 194, saying that he will not always be here, so who will write when he is gone. Ironically this book was published after his death. There are also poems that pertain to everyday life a child endures and experiences that may be scary for some...more
Cory Schulz
This poetry book was published after Shel Silverstein passed away. These previously unpublished poems were selected by Silverstein’s family. The 145 poems were eliminated from his earlier books, but only because they did not fit in the order Silverstein was looking for in a given collection. The illustrations were drawn only after carefully using previous books to find the balance between pictures and poetry. Close associates said Silverstein liked to mix up his poetry, providing a variety so th...more
Jillian Tullish
Every Thing On It was published in 2011 and contains poems that remained unpublished by Shel Silverstein. I chose this book because I thought it would add variety to poems students have might have already read in throughout the assorted poems Silverstein shares wild encounters and outlandish tales like "The Scientist and The Hippopotamus?" and "Not an Egg".

These poems are great for practicing writing and comprehension of poems. students may in that past have heard Shel Silverstein's poem in sha...more
Rebecca Tenbrook
I will always love Shel Silverstein's poetry books. I feel like they are filled with such character! These poems are not like any other poems I have read. I think they way he plays with words and creates his own words and language require true talent. I have used Shel Silverstein books in my class before and I read them aloud to children. It allows them to practice imagery, we frequently talked about what they pictured as I read it out loud. I have also used this to practice fluency. Silverstein...more
Maggie Robinson
I seriously WISH I was as creative as Shel Silverstein! This book was such a fun read (takes about 15 minutes a night for a few nights only) to take your mind of off life and all of it's complications for a while. The drawings are super cute too, and a few even made me laugh out loud. My husband was really jealous when I was reading it and immediately started reading it after I was done. Great, fun book...I also got it on sale and had to buy three to give 2 as gifts :)
Kathryn
Shel Silverstein has such a way with words...this one is my favorite from the book:

A spider lives inside my head
Who weaves a strange and wondrous web
Of silken threads and silver strings
To catch all sorts of flying things,
Like crumbs of thought and bits of smiles
And specks of dried-up tears,
And dust of dreams that catch and cling
For years and years and years....
Ginny
Having never read Shel Silverstein as a kid, now I want to go back and pick up some older books from the library. I read a few of these every night and it was a nice way to introduce poetry to the kids. However, some of the poems are slightly more mature than I'd want to read to my five-year old. So we skipped maybe two in the book. I think that Will's favorites were "Everything on It" and "There's a Mouse in this House."
Lisa
Oh, how I love Shel Silverstein's poetry! Each poem is so unique, funny, and clever. They are simple, yet inspiring and leave me in awe of his creativity.

It's almost impossible to choose a favorite, but since I'm a teacher librarian, I think the poem "School" is great: "Rain and hail,/ Cold and snow/ Are good excuses not to go." :)

Shel Silverstein is gone, but his poetry will live on forever!
  • Lemonade: and Other Poems Squeezed from a Single Word
  • The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories
  • Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems
  • Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • The Great Migration: Journey to the North
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • Roots and Blues: A Celebration
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...
Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein The Giving Tree A Light in the Attic Falling Up The Missing Piece

“There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part,
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.”
1030 likes