Start by marking “Archer's Quest” as Want to Read:
Archer's Quest

Archer's Quest

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  68 reviews
In Dorchester, New York, Kevin is doing his homework when suddenly an arrow comes out of nowhere and pins his baseball cap to the wall. The man who shot the arrow claims he fell off a tiger . . . and wound up in Kevin’s room. It’s not long before Kevin realizes that the man, who calls himself Chu-mong, or Great Archer, is no ordinary burglar, but a traveler from far away i...more
Published June 12th 2006 by Clarion Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Archer's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Archer's Quest

Camille
Well done story. A young boy of Korean heritage is confronted by a Korean leader from an earlier age who suddenly appears in his bedroom. He seems to have traveled through time to the present. The boy learns about his culture and "honor" from the man he calls Archer. The story incorporates Korean history which the boy comes to appreciate more. The boy's difficult relationship with his father is improved as a result of the "visit."
Audiobook was ok, very listen-able.
Eva Mitnick
I listened to this time-travel/ancient Korean lore fantasy as an audiobook. Light, breezy, and enjoyable. Just when Archer starts to get a bit too grand and heroic, he unexpectedly guffaws at a bit of bathroom humor when Kevin teaches him how to make an instant joke by adding the phrase "on the toilet" to one's fortune-cookie fortune. (Heh!)
Barbara
Aug 18, 2008 Barbara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gr 4-7
Shelves: asian, fantasy, juvenile
The main value here is that this book addresses Korean culture, history, and has Korean characters. This book is not up to Park's usual standards, much younger, kind of stiff, and trying to please the elementary/middle school crowd.
Mark Dewey
This book was awesome. It accomplishes several things. It teaches values and can help people take more interest in history. It's exciting. It's short (not drawn out more than it needs to be, for what it is). It's strange (we could all use a good dose of time-traveling Korean archers riding tigers now and then).

Anyway, I read a few accounts of Chu-mong on some old, public domain books (on books.google.com). It's pretty interesting, but there are considerable differences between the legends I saw...more
GenreGroup
Roman Antonio’s review:

Linda Sue Park offers another gem for tweens and young adults readers to dive into. Archer’s Quest is a story about 12 year old boy named Kevin who is home alone and while doing social studies homework he is interrupted my an intruder who carries a bow and arrows. As Kevin realizes what is happening he panics and realizes that he is home alone and his parents come home late on Monday. The intruder which has stormed into Kevin’s room claims to be Koh Chu-mong, the Great Arc...more
gina
Now that was a cool book. A Korean king from the distant past magically appears in the bedroom of a modern tweenage boy. While the boy, Kevin, teaches the king, Archer, about the modern world, Archer teaches Kevin what it means to be a hero. Archer's Quest gives you some nice lessons through time travel.

What I liked about this book:

• The character arc of our hero kid Kevin--he comes around from being a history-hater to someone who appreciates the perspective that the past brings us.
• You learn a...more
Megan
A Korean king from 55 B.C. just appears in Kevin’s bedroom while he’s working on his history homework. Since "Archie" is from ancient Korea, he doesn’t know anything about the modern world. He is amazed by electricity, cars, and the telephone. Kevin needs to figure out a way to get Archie back to his own time—before his parents come home from work and wonder why this strange man is in their house.

There were a few humorous moments in this book; students will especially laugh at Archie's reaction...more
Becky H.
It all started out as an ordinary day. Kevin was sitting at his computer when suddenly a stranger with a bow and arrow was standing behind him ready to shoot. The stranger is Chu-mong, a legendary king and great archer from ancient Korea. Kevin needs to help him find a way back to his correct time before the year of the tiger ends. Readers and listeners will enjoy the visit to the zoo as Chu-mong enters the tiger’s pit. Linda Sue Park, a Newbery Medal winning author for A Single Shard, has writt...more
Hilary
Audiobook. Kevin Kim gets caught in an unusual predicament when ancient Korean King, Chu-mong, magically appears in his bedroom one evening and needs help getting back to his own time. I took this on a 9-year-old boys recommendation. A cute story that seamlessly weaves Korean history into the narrative. A big sucker for story's about misplaced historical figures, I expected more mass confusion from the confused king. The thoughtful nature of Chu-mong's character, though, tempered the more impuls...more
carrietracy
This is a solid three and half stars. As a pretty hard scorer, I'm kind of annoyed this doesn't have an overall higher rating. Many of the reviewers seem to think it would bore kids, although I don't really think it would. Also, they may not have students I've had who desperately read anything with Asian characters in order to read about anyone who has a similar heritage to their own and would really adore a book with this level of adventure (not to mention geared towards boys which I've found a...more
Lisa
I read this book as part of my job as a librarian (sweet gig). It's a book 3rd through 8th graders will read next year as part of a statewide book contest. It was a quick and easy time travel story. It will be great for 3rd and 4th graders. The most interesting part for me was the embedded math problem the main character solved. I like that the author included Chinese zodiac information, but she did not take it far enough into the future. Any kid born after 2000 will have to look elsewhere to be...more
Jessica
This was a young reader choice book and I had read A Single Shard, so I was sorely disappointed in the book. There was not much action and it just didn't flow well. The main character did a lot of thinking.

I also read it out loud to my reading class. About a third into the book I was sad I'd chosen it. At least it had some rising action, a climax and a clear conclusion to put on the story map. I was bored. I have a lot of fantastic read out louds, but this was not one of them. At least my readin...more
Rene
My kids (ages 8 and 11) might have given this a 4. I'd give it a high three. They have willingly listened each night and always ask for another chapter. It's a time-travel book of Chu-mong from Korea 55 B.C. to Kevin in 2003 (or so) and them figuring out how to get him back where he belongs. References to internet searches, math in your head, a few good moral lessons (on being deceitful and what is a lie, being "good" etc.), just the funny experiences of someone who hasn't seen modern life, havi...more
Abby Johnson
When an ancient Korean archer appears in Kevin's bedroom one February afternoon, neither of them are sure what happened. The only thing Kevin knows is that he's got to get Archer back in his own time before they change the course of history forever.

Obviously the set-up is meant to tell a story that educates as well as entertains. The book is mostly successful in incorporating facts organically and there is enough arrow-wielding action to entertain most kids. The audio recording was fine, though...more
Mary
Nice read for a 10-12 year old.
Debbie
This book is very different from the last book I read by this author, and it's hard not to try to compare the two. "A Single Shard" is excellent and won a Newbery Award. "Archer's Quest" was interesting and I read it quickly because I kept wanting to find out why the chain of events happened in the first place. Unfortunately that question was never answered. I did enjoy the historical fiction aspects of this story, but otherwise nothing stands out as being exceptional or noteworthy.
Sarah Clark
Math, logic and history are put to the test when Koh Chu-Mong, founder of Korea and famed archer, falls off his tiger and into Kevin’s bedroom in modern-day America, and the two must figure out how to sent the historic figure back in time in this gripping, fun tale.
• Potential Use: Pure fun; good curriculum tie-in with history and math.
• Child Appeal: Historical figure comes to life; quasi-fantastical, exciting; math and logic puzzles; and of course, archery!
Nancy
Interesting fantasy about an ancient king of Korea landing in Kevin, a modern-day boy's bedroom. The quest is to figure out how to send Archer, the king back to his time. In the process, I learned about ancient Korean history and discipline. I usually bristle at preachy stories for children but this wasn't preachy at all. Nicely done. I read some of it aloud to English Language Learners in third through fifth grade and they were engaged and amused. Success!
James Esplin
Plot Synopsis:
Kevin has a bow wielding stranger drops into Kevin's room. Together they try to find a way to send the stranger back to his time: 30BC plus or minus.

Thoughts:
Fun little story. I like how his skills with math and logic solve the problem.

Warnings:
none
Scc
I read this book and thought it was amzing. If i wasn't in bookclub I would never have picked that book up to read because I wouldn't of had to read it. This book is about this Chinese person lands in a little boys bedroom and has to get back to his contry or his country will be destroyed because it is hisory. So the booy helps him get back in time. This is a really good book that will make you want to keep reading. It is so good.
Heather
I hated to give this 2 stars, because I did like it. But Archer's Quest could have been so much better! More action, please, and danger!

I did like the interesting parts of Korean history and culture. Also, since this story involves time travel, it's fun to chuckle at the contrasts in the time periods. Finally, the message is inspiring: "ordinary" people can do great things: the key is persistence.

Probably rated G.
Whitney
Not one of my favorites. I do like that it teaches the reader a little bit about Korea's history which we don't hear much about and there are a couple of nice teaching moments where Kevin does some difficult math in his head and figures out the best way to research his topic. I have a feeling that this book does not have a lot of young followers because the plot doesn't really draw the reader in.
Marci
At first I wasn't sure what to think of this book. The summary on the back cover didn't provide a good preview into the book itself. However, I did grow to enjoy it. I thought the author cleverly included history, math, and family heritage ideas into the book. I was often surprised by the conclusions or ideas that Archer came up with, which kept me wanting to read.
Anja Manning
A boy's story, but one that adventure-loving girls will enjoy as well. Kevin learns a lot about himself when he is visited by a Korean king who was born in 55BC. All of a sudden, Kevin has to use all his wits to help Archer return to his country and his time before the clock runs out. I enjoyed both the adventurous plot and the cultural information contained in this novel.
Joyce
i don't think this book was a good read. The story is too absurd.
And what's with the historically incorrect details? How could she have written this? She does this incorrect hirtory things with many of her "korean-inspired" books, but this one is just too much. I gtta write her a letter to shake some sense in her.
Art
This book is about a person named Chumong came from the past into our modern time. A boy named Kevin is trying to help him to get back to the past. Kevin had to solve many mysteries to get Chumong back to the past. I would recommend this book for people who liked mystery books. I really liked this book.
Roxanne
Kevin is just doing his homework and wondering what is so important about learning history when his baseball cap is pierced by an arrow. Suddenly there is a strange man in his room from Ancient Korea. Now Kevin has to figure out how to get the man back to Korea.
Kathy
Kevin is so bored on a slow afternoon after school he's even doing his homework. When all of a sudden he hears a thud and a thwack, and an arrow has pinned his hat to the wall! It's nice to have a fantasy that features an Asian American kid and a Korean time traveler
Dennis
about halfway through this one I was thinking 3 stars. by the end, it was definitely four. Park has such a deft touch for including substance and depth and literary quality, while keeping the reading accessible and appealing to her intended audience.
Jessica
Iowa Children's Choice Award Nominee. It was fine. I bit too simplistic (I know it is YF) and too much like "Indian in the Cupboard." Very predictable, but I bet there are some little boys out there would love this book. It just wasn't for me.
  • Secondhand World
  • The Interpreter
  • Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy
  • The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyŏng: The Autobiographical Writings of a Crown Princess of Eighteenth-Century Korea
  • Moonshadow: Rise of the Ninja (Moonshadow, #1)
  • The Foreign Student: A Novel
  • Everything Asian: A Novel
  • Tongue
  • Free Baseball
  • The House of Arden (Fabian Time Fantasies, #1)
  • Paris Pan Takes the Dare
  • The Vine Basket
  • Bindi Babes (Bindi Babes, #1)
  • The Wizard of Ooze (Ravenspell, #2)
  • Magic Tree House: #1-8 [Collection]
  • I Have the Right to Destroy Myself
  • Beyond the Blossoming Fields
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
Linda Sue Park is a Korean American author of children's fiction. Park published her first novel, Seesaw Girl, in 1999. To date, she has written six children’s novels and five picture books for younger readers. Park’s work achieved prominence when she received the prestigious 2002 Newbery Medal for her novel A Single Shard.

More about Linda Sue Park...
Storm Warning (The 39 Clues, #9) A Single Shard A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story Trust No One (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #5) When My Name Was Keoko