Start by marking “In the Little World: A True Story of Dwarfs, Love, and Trouble” as Want to Read:
In the Little World: A True Story of Dwarfs, Love, and Trouble

In the Little World: A True Story of Dwarfs, Love, and Trouble

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In 1997, almost by accident, John Richardson found himself sharing a hotel with more than a thousand dwarfs. Over the course of a single week, he begins relationships with some of the people at a convention that evolve into an affecting two-year-and-beyond odyssey into the little world.

He introduces us to characters like a saintly but obsessed doctor and a mother who sacri
Published December 17th 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In the Little World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Little World

Mary
This review gives a good overview of this book that I got a lot out of. Insights into what it's like to be a dwarf, it has stuck with me over the years.

Richardson's introduction to the Little World begins at the Little People of America convention in Atlanta. On assignment to write a story of the convention for Esquire magazine, Richardson conducts interviews with several dwarfs. He meets Michael, looking for love and hoping to hit it off with Meredith. He also meets Jocelyn and her mother, Evel
matt
I could not put this down. Even when I wanted to - even when he seemed to go on and on about too many specifics in his relationship with a few of the people he meets - the book was always captivating. It brought back memories of a guy I went to school with who was a dwarf - and how utterly oblivious I was to what that meant for his life. It brought up thoughts about body perception, and how our perceptions of our "selves" can change everything about who we are as a person inside and out.
It is a
Bridget
May 25, 2009 Bridget rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are drunk and/or interested in little people
Shelves: truetrue
I read this book primarily while recovering from a hangover and suffering a migraine simultaneously. I would throw up, pass out and then pick up this book to distract myself from the throbbing pain.
Despite that, the book is really engaging and well-written. The narrator does get a little too involved in places and needed a decent proofreading (he mixes up little people in a couple of places.)
Wowzees. I have an entirely different perspective now...this book made me think bunches about disability, beauty, self & other, and human perception and boundaries.
Irene
Felt exploitative, particularly the detailed account of the broken marriage which did not further the reader's understanding of the subculture of dwarfs.
Cindy
Fairly interesting. Besides stories of dwarfs, the author muses on beauty, postmodern theories of difference and the history of the disability movement.
Denise
This is a non-fiction book about dwarfs--it was very thought provoking and it was actually disturbing in some ways about how we react to differences in people.
RunRachelRun
Fascinating. As a 5-foot woman, I know the pleasures and terrors of being the height of an average 12-year old American child.
Jess Schira
Informative, but very odd book. The author seemed way to involved in lives of the people he wrote about.
Medusagoddess
A totally fascinating look at the LPA conventions.
Rachel Payne
Rachel Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Pathan Nawaz
Pathan Nawaz marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
cameron
cameron marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Saysayg
Saysayg marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Charmaine
Charmaine marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Tamhas
Tamhas marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Jack Templeton
Jack Templeton marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My Father The Spy: An Investigative Memoir In The Little World: (A True Story Of Dwarfs, Love, And Trouble) The Vipers' Club My Father the Spy In the Little World