Start by marking “In the Little World: A True Story of Dwarfs, Love, and Trouble” as Want to Read:
In the Little World: A True Story of Dwarfs, Love, and Trouble

In the Little World: A True Story of Dwarfs, Love, and Trouble

In 1997, almost by accident, John Richardson found himself sharing a hotel with more than a thousand dwarfs. Over the course of a single week, he begins relationships with some of the people at a convention that evolve into an affecting two-year-and-beyond odyssey into the little world.

He introduces us to characters like a saintly but obsessed doctor and a mother who sacri
Published December 17th 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In the Little World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Little World

Leslie
Aug 17, 2007 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who know dwarves
Shelves: biosandmemoirs
The author looks into the lives and culture of "little people" aka dwarves. He attends their annual convention, which is about the only time of year that little people can get out and mingle amongst themselves. As a result, the convention is very competitive as far as dating and relationships. We learn just about everything concerning little people culture--dating "normals" vs. dating little people, sex lives, feuds, you name it. I have personally known at least two dwarves, so this book helped ...more
Mary
Jun 09, 2007 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthropolgy
This review gives a good overview of this book that I got a lot out of. Insights into what it's like to be a dwarf, it has stuck with me over the years.

Richardson's introduction to the Little World begins at the Little People of America convention in Atlanta. On assignment to write a story of the convention for Esquire magazine, Richardson conducts interviews with several dwarfs. He meets Michael, looking for love and hoping to hit it off with Meredith. He also meets Jocelyn and her mother, Evel
Kittiya
Feb 20, 2009 Kittiya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who know dwarves
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this to be a very interesting read. The author John Richardson had decided to go to a "Little Person Convention" that happens once a year. He felt he needed a change of pace from what he had currently been writting about. By going there and meeting the people who attend had changed his life. You follow along with the stories of people he choose to write about for about two years. He also writes about the history of "dwarves". You get to have a inside veiw of what it's like to presevere t ...more
matt
Oct 10, 2010 matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this down. Even when I wanted to - even when he seemed to go on and on about too many specifics in his relationship with a few of the people he meets - the book was always captivating. It brought back memories of a guy I went to school with who was a dwarf - and how utterly oblivious I was to what that meant for his life. It brought up thoughts about body perception, and how our perceptions of our "selves" can change everything about who we are as a person inside and out.
It is a
Bridget
Jul 27, 2008 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are drunk and/or interested in little people
Shelves: truetrue
I read this book primarily while recovering from a hangover and suffering a migraine simultaneously. I would throw up, pass out and then pick up this book to distract myself from the throbbing pain.
Despite that, the book is really engaging and well-written. The narrator does get a little too involved in places and needed a decent proofreading (he mixes up little people in a couple of places.)
Alexis
In the Little World gives us a unique glimpse into the lives of 3 little people, as they prefer to be called. The author describes his interactions with Andrea, Jocelyn, Michael, and Meredith with such clarity that you feel as though you're there with him.

He also explores what it means to be different in a society that prides itself on conformity. His explorations are interesting and thought provoking. It makes one consider the emphasis our society places on physical beauty.
Jul 27, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wowzees. I have an entirely different perspective now...this book made me think bunches about disability, beauty, self & other, and human perception and boundaries.
Denise
Mar 17, 2010 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a non-fiction book about dwarfs--it was very thought provoking and it was actually disturbing in some ways about how we react to differences in people.
Irene
Apr 25, 2010 Irene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Felt exploitative, particularly the detailed account of the broken marriage which did not further the reader's understanding of the subculture of dwarfs.
Cindy
Fairly interesting. Besides stories of dwarfs, the author muses on beauty, postmodern theories of difference and the history of the disability movement.
RunRachelRun
Dec 17, 2008 RunRachelRun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture
Fascinating. As a 5-foot woman, I know the pleasures and terrors of being the height of an average 12-year old American child.
Jess Schira
Informative, but very odd book. The author seemed way to involved in lives of the people he wrote about.
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Mazola1
Mazola1 rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2008
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Teddie
Teddie rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
Libby
Libby rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2008
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Tony Harte
Tony Harte rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Denise Dupree
Denise Dupree rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 20, 2009
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
May 21, 2011
Barb
Barb rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Adriana
Adriana rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2010
Russell
Russell rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2009