Start by marking “L'assiro” as Want to Read:
L'assiro

L'assiro (Tiglath Ashur #1)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  396 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Assiria, VII secolo avanti Cristo. A Ninive, nel Palazzo Reale, vivono felici i due fr atellastri Tiglath Assur e Asarhaddon. Entrambi si innamorano della stessa affascinante principessa, dalla quale – oltreché il loro – dipende il destino dell'Assiria. Rivive nelle pagine di questo libro un mondo scomparso, barbaro e raffinato.
Published January 1989 by Euroclub (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about L'assiro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'assiro

Reeda
Tiglath Ashur is the favorite son of King Sennacherib and molds him to become the next ruler in Nineveh after his death, but the omens have decreed that his brother, Esarhaddon- who is less than capable and not as loved by the people, will take the throne instead. Tiglath bows to his brother but the price paid may very well bring destruction to their people. Woven in to the story are a great cast of characters:
Na'qia- Esarhaddon mother; a conniving woman who would do anything to have her son on
Liviu
Sep 11, 2015 Liviu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mainstream, read_2015
quite entertaining but predictable at least after reading a number of similar novels (I would say that Aztec by G. Jennings remains the best of this subgenre - "exotic" cultures, preferable with first person narrator); I wish I had read this 25 years ago or so (close to its publication in 1987-8) as I am sure I would have enjoyed it tremendously then; even so, kept my interest and I got book 2 and plan to read it asap - this one promises less predictability, but will see
Lisa Liel
Aug 30, 2007 Lisa Liel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: historical
I wish I could give more than 5 stars. This book, and its sequel, The Blood Star, would get a solid 10 out of 10 if that were allowed here.

The main character, Tiglath, is the son of the king of Assyria. He's noble and good and in every way worthy of being a king. He's one of the best characters I've ever read, and I was sad when I got to the end of the sequel, because that's the last I'm going to see of him.

Read this. Find it and read it and savor it, because it's amazing. The sequel, God only k
Margaret
"The Assyrian" is the story of the fictional son of Assyrian kings Sennacherib.

Nicholas Guild paints a vivid portrait of a time mostly known from wall panels and surviving antiquities.

The main character, Tiglath Ashur, comes through as a very real person, with hopes, dreams, loves, and with many strengths and weaknesses. An interesting and engaging character.

A word of warning, though. Nicholas Guild pulls no punches when it comes to the punishments of the era, and is such an be extremely graphic
Holly Lindquist
Epic historical melodrama set in Ancient Mesopotamia?

Check.

Bloody battle scenes that read like Sam Peckinpah meets Epic of Gilgamesh?

Check.

Lusty harlots? Conniving eunuchs? Nefarious kings? Tragic love? Creepy blind prophets spouting omens? A bull-headed main character who always chooses the hard path in any situation?

All of the above and more.

PS: If you like this book, it's well worth the effort to track down the sequel, The Blood Star. It's out of print and somewhat pricey, but a more economi
Eleclyah
Joy
Feb 26, 2012 Joy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I first read this twenty years ago and loved it. I loved Tilgath Ashur the war hero who cared so much about virtue, favorite of his father Sennacherib, loyal to his brother Esarhaddon no matter what. This time it took me almost a month to get through it, with detours through eleven other books! Difficult. Once we reached Tilgath's adulthood, the harder he tried to be virtuous the more trouble he let his people of Assyria fall into. I did enjoy Tilgath's encounters with foreign nations such as th ...more
Charles
Jun 04, 2009 Charles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I continue to read this book. I guess it's because it is about Sumeria which is one of my favorite subjects and this may be the only novel on the subject - not counting Gilgamesh 8*)

Amateurish writing, pedestrian, predictable plot about a king who is "noble and good and in every way worthy of being a king." Of course he is also a mass murderer, pederast, torturer, and slave trader. But that at least is honest for the period.

Too bad there's not a Patrick O'Brian for Mesopotamia.
Juan Cruz
Jan 28, 2012 Juan Cruz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For historic fiction fans. This is one of the best books I have read. I'm a starting the second part right now.
Lisa Tubsterr
Jul 16, 2012 Lisa Tubsterr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy is falling to bits I've read it so often. An epic novel.
Victor Bruneski
Feb 24, 2015 Victor Bruneski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook
The second Nicholas Guild book I have read, and he hasn't disappointed me.

The Assyrian is probably his most famous book, it is the one I hear the most about from him anyway. I heard a lot of good things about it and after finishing The Berlin Warning I was really looking forward to reading this.

This is set in the distant past where Greece is still a baby and Assyria rules the "four corners of the earth". A lot of the characters are based on real people, but the main character, Tiglath Ashur, i
Francesco
Jan 19, 2015 Francesco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il libro mi è piaciuto.

Vantaggi:
La trama è molto bella.
C'è sempre qualcosa che succede.
Non vi sono mai punti morti e credo sia il libro più "page turner" che abbia letto da parecchio.
Il lettore è completamente immerso in questa realtà ormai scomparsa.

Tuttavia ho letto questo libro dopo aver letto che quasi tutte le recensioni dicevano "il miglior romanzo storico che abbia mai letto" e quando le aspettative sono altissime è facile trovare un motivo per esser delusi. Io l'ho trovato nella trattazi
Phillip McCollum
Wow, this book was long winded. I think Nicholas Guild could have used a little more editorial work as he had a tendency to repeat himself and go off into tiring introspection. The Assyrian was published in 1987, perhaps when there was a little more patience for this type of thing. But even that, I doubt, is a valid reason for 243,842 words that could have been cut by a third.

There have been comparisons of this book to James Clavell's Shogun, and its scope is just as wide, but there was somethin
Duesterwald-Online
Inhalt:
Tiglat ist der Sohn Sanheribs, des großen Königs von Assur und der Ionierin Merope. Der Palast des Königs vom Zweistromland steht in der Stadt Ninive. Dort wächst Tiglat im Frauenhaus des Königs auf, gemeinsam mit seinen Halbbrüdern. Darunter der Sohn der berechnenden Nakija, Assarhaddon. Ihn und Tiglat verbindet eine besondere Bruderliebe.
Und dann ist da noch die kleine Assarhamat. Sie und Tiglat verbindet seit Kindheit an nicht nur Freundschaft, sondern auch Liebe. Doch Assarhamat ist d
Bartulos
Jan 22, 2014 Bartulos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histórica, aventuras
Excelente novela histórica ambientada en la Asiria del S. VII a.c. Cuenta la vida de dos hermanastros y príncipes asirios, su amistad y su odio, sus peleas y envidias, sus amores y aventuras, y como telón de fondo la historia de una época poco novelada pero muy interesante en la que conocemos el esplendor y caída de un imperio, el asirio, y de muchos otros pueblos y culturas de alrededor: egipcios, acadios, babilonios, sumerios, medas, hititas, fenicios ….
Las dos novelas de la serie (El Asirio y
Ana Elena Romero

SINOPSIS:
Siglo VII a. C. Tiglath Assur y Asarhadón, hermanastros, excelentes amigos e hijos del rey de Asiria, comparten sueños y secretos, aunque saben que parten muy atrás en la línea de sucesión a la corona. Pero tras la designación del heredero al trono, una plaga de suicidios y asesinatos, que conduce a Asiria al borde de la gu erra civil mientras tribus bárbaras invaden el país, les despeja el camino. Son tiempos terribles en los que se suceden traiciones y matanzas sangrientas, y muchos v
Lois
Jun 15, 2014 Lois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy interesante! Un libro 10 !
Deseando leer la continuación :-)
Puntuación: 5/5
Jane
Nov 04, 2012 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, mesopotamia
I enjoyed reading about this time period, since there isn't much written. After having read The Egyptian by Mika Waltari subsequently, I now consider this a "rip-off" of the other much superior novel. There were the descriptions of the Assyrian culture, Tilglath Ashur's travels and bloody battles, but it lacked the spiritual quest of the Waltari book and the depth of the main character. I considered the sequel The Blood Star superior.
Elio Cerrato
May 31, 2015 Elio Cerrato rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sencillamente un relato histórico Cautivante
windy
Aug 15, 2014 windy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Campy but entertaining historical epic.
Josh Yiangou
Jun 18, 2015 Josh Yiangou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read, the kind of story that you can't help but fully invest yourself in. The author did his research into culture of that time, and I loved the detail he used to describe it. He has a way of leaving words of wisdom and insight into human nature to conclude stories that is rings with truth.
Chad Tronetti
Jul 31, 2015 Chad Tronetti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, very good characters. Guild sets a realistic, full-bodied historical stage for his deeply human characters. The tension and pace was excellent. I was captivated from beginning to end. My only criticism is that of the editor. There were several gramatical and spelling errors throughout the book that would, at times, distract. Otherwise a highly recommendable piece of Historical Fiction.
Wade
Feb 11, 2016 Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written. Strong character development, good pace and fun read. Aztec by Gary Jennings is better but this is a very good book of similar quality.
Elizabeth
Mar 31, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Nicholas Guild is an excellent writer. I wonder why he is not better known? I thoroughly enjoyed this series.
Ricardo Moreno mauro
Muy buen libro y una historia envolvente que te lleva al medio oriente. Excelente la descripción de las batallas.
Katy
Jun 12, 2011 Katy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This historical fiction book is just like every other historical fiction book out there - it doesn't say anything new or interesting. I'd skip it. But it wasn't so bad that I couldn't even finish it, so I guess it could have been worse.
Rob Carsello
Oct 07, 2013 Rob Carsello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
--Interesting to imagine life in another culture in another time.
--Captivating story line
--Started reading Blood Star as soon as I finished this one.
Sue
Oct 08, 2007 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ancient history historical novel fans
Interesting look at ancient life before Roman times. Included royal life as well as that of the soldier. Many interesting relationships.
Jaime Contreras
This was an enoyable read about ancient Assyria and its ruler. Nothing incredible about this but worth the time.
Juan Navarro
Sep 06, 2013 Juan Navarro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book from the start to finish. what an amazing piece of historical novel this is
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • Jerusalem
  • Hound
  • Killer of Men (Long War, #1)
  • King and Goddess
  • The Hippopotamus Marsh (Lord of the Two Lands, #1)
  • Men of Bronze
  • Empire Rising
  • Over the Wine-Dark Sea (Hellenic Traders, #1)
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Eagle in the Snow
  • The Winter Mantle
  • The Pillars of Rome (Republic, #1)
  • Attila (Attila Trilogy, #1)
  • Pride of Carthage
  • El puente de Alcántara
  • War at the Edge of the World (Twilight of Empire, #1)
  • Hannibal. Der Roman Karthagos
Nicholas Guild was born in Belmont, California in 1944. He graduated from Occidental College with a B.A. in English in 1966 and from the University of California at Berkeley with an M.A. in Comparative Literature (1968) and a Ph.D. in English (1972). Since then he has divided his time between teaching and writing. He currently lives in Frederick, MD.
More about Nicholas Guild...

Tiglath Ashur (2 books)