The Spiritual Life of Children

The Spiritual Life of Children

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this eighth and final volume in his Pulitzer Prize-winning Children of Crisis series, Coles examines the religious and spiritual lives of children. By using children's own words and pictures, Coles presents their deepest feelings.
Published October 10th 1991 by Mariner Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiritual Life of Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiritual Life of Children

Rosemary
For years this book has been on my shelf and I have finally gotten around to reading it. I am not sorry. Although I approach the spiritual life of children from a different perspective (as a priest and teacher of religion), I have learned a lot through Coles' social-scientist lens. I am fascinated with his methodology and a little envious of the prolonged and repeated time he can spend with each child. The chief thing I learned: LISTEN. Time after time, he reports being about to speak during a l...more
Ron
Robert Coles is a Child Psychiatrist and researcher. He has spent years interviewing children of may cultures about their spiritual lives. The wonderful thing about Coles is that, to the best of his ability, he does not impose his own cultural norms and values on the children. As you can imagine, a Harvard educated white man coming of age in the middle of the last century has quite a set of cultural norms and values. Yet, when he interviews Hopi children they come alive with the spirit of their...more
Kate
Nobody is better qualified to write about the spiritual life of children than Robert Coles. As an MD trained by William Carlos Williams, and a trailblazing expert in phenomenological research, Coles studies children by letting them tell their own stories. The results are profound, especially in this book about children and spirituality. Remarkable and very moving.
Alexis
“Reality and illusion are not contradictory terms. Psychic reality-whose depth Freud so brilliantly unveiled-cannot occur without that specifically human transitional space for play and illusion... Men cannot be without illusions. The type of illusion we select-science, religion, or something else-reveals our personal history-the transitional space each of us has created between his objects and himself to find a "resting place "to live in.” [pg.5]

“The mind's search for meaning and purpose throug...more
Ruth Billington
A valuable resource for me as a pastor. The stories are eye-opening, showing me what treasures are there for those who can listen. I've been dipping into this book for years, and each time I find more insight. Truly a book to have on one's shelves.
Michelle Bodle
Combining two of my favorite topics - psychology and spirituality - this book left me wondering if these responses were from children - as they felt quite inauthentic and clinic
Julie
This is an okay book but not what I was looking for--it focuses on school-age children,and I am interested in the faith development of infants and toddlers. This takes a more sociological/psychological look at children's concepts of God across religions, whereas I was looking for information about Christian faith formation.
Chad
Gave up on this after 100 pages or so...seemed to narrowly defined on the Christian spiritual tip; more clinical than spiritual, very methodological. Reminds me of Oliver Sacks--I like the storyline, but the perspective turns very clinical and I lose interest. Maybe I'm not a scientist...
cubbie
not bad, really... but not as indepth as i wanted. i learned a lot about robert coles, but not a lot of new stuff about kids-- and his definition of "children" seems to be 10-12 year olds... and i was really wanting to learn about really young kids.
Claudia
Coles writes about the qualitative interviews he's conducted with children as a child psychiatrist over the years, and what children from all reaches of the globe have to say about religion, spirituality, and God.
Miriam Krupka
Meh. Not as good as his other books. If you want to start with Robert Coles - read The Call of Stories. That was wonderful.
Adam DeVille, Ph.D.
Deeply fascinating and compelling, especially in its records of how children deal with death and God.
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Amanda Keay-strain
Amanda Keay-strain marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Paloma
Paloma marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jonathan Nichols
Jonathan Nichols marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Terra
Terra marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Jjjj
Jjjj marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Daphne Roux
Daphne Roux marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • Markings
  • Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World is Conspiring to Shower You With Blessings
  • The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self
  • Reaching Out
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Seven Sacred Pauses: Living Mindfully Through the Hours of the Day
  • Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation
  • Will the Circle Be Unbroken?: Reflections on Death, Rebirth, and Hunger for a Faith
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • The Spectrum of Consciousness
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • Sadhana
  • To Know as We are Known: Education as a Spiritual Journey
  • A History of Christian Thought
  • The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind--A New Perspective on Christ and His Message
Child psychiatrist, author, Harvard professor.

Robert Coles is a professor of psychiatry and medical humanities at the Harvard Medical School, a research psychiatrist for the Harvard University Health Services, and the James Agee Professor of Social Ethics at Harvard College.
More about Robert Coles...
The Story Of Ruby Bridges The Call of Stories: Teaching and the Moral Imagination Dorothy Day: A Radical Devotion The Call of Service The Moral Intelligence of Children: How to Raise a Moral Child