Start by marking “The FSG Book of Twentieth-Century Latin American Poetry: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
The FSG Book of Twentieth-Century Latin American Poetry: An Anthology

The FSG Book of Twentieth-Century Latin American Poetry: An Anthology

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A major bilingual anthology of twentieth-century Latin American poetry

During a century of extraordinary change, poets became the chroniclers of deep polarizations. From Rubén Darío's quest to renew the Spanish language to César Vallejo's linking of religion and politics, from Jorge Luis Borges's cosmopolitanism to Pablo Neruda's placement of poetry as uncompromising speake
Published March 29th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Be the first to ask a question about The FSG Book of Twentieth-Century Latin American Poetry

Dan Shurley
As with most poetry collections, it's like getting Al Bundy drunk off of Manischewitz, when what you really need is a little dip here and there of stronger stuff. Some of these poems, if you happen to open up to the right ones, will remind you of your first case of vertigo, and the limitless possibilities of the dreaming world that you leave at home in a locked drawer as you go about your daily language functions.

If only the rest of these selections were as aptly and funnily translated as Ginsbe
Karlo Mikhail
Great compilation of Latin American poetry. A wide-ranging selection by poets I've been meaning to read more from and poets I just encountered in this book.
Kenyatta Garcia
This is a decent introduction to Latin American poetry. A few authors were left out and a few authors were given way too many pages but there are some real gems in this collection. And, it ends really strong. But, if you can read Spanish, you should read the originals as some of the translations aren't very faithful and/or the rhythm is lost and the poem is the weakened.
emm
I won this book from Goodreads giveaway. A great collection of Latin American poetry and I also enjoyed the fact that it was a bilingual edition (a great way to brush up on my Spanish).
Ashley
I'm generally not a fan of poetry collections. But this one was pretty awesome. Also, it gave me an excuse to brush up on my Spanish.
Nick
protip: if you're making a bilingual anthology, don't somehow leave out the translation for one of the poems.
Victoria
I loved this book and even found some great new favorite poets!
Miami University Libraries
King Library (2nd floor) | PQ7087.E5 F78 2011
Rob
i can't stop reading this!
Vanessa Chagas
Vanessa Chagas is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Matt Ban
Matt Ban marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Booksjc
Booksjc marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Jean Maguire
Jean Maguire marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Hector
Hector marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jorge Valero
Jorge Valero marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Paul Rodriguez
Paul Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Burnt Sienna
Burnt Sienna marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Marly
Marly added it
Jul 25, 2014
Wren
Wren marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jainio
Jainio is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
John Nooney
John Nooney marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Peter N.
Peter N. marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ilan Stavans is the Lewis-Sebring Professor in Latin American and Latino Culture at Amherst College. An award-winning writer and public television host, his books include Growing Up Latino and Spanglish. A native of Mexico City, he lives in Amherst, Massachusetts.
More about Ilan Stavans...
Latino USA: A Cartoon History El Iluminado: A Graphic Novel Critical Insights: One Hundred Years of Solitude A Most Imperfect Union: A Contrarian History of the United States Resurrecting Hebrew