The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book

The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  2,251 ratings  ·  86 reviews
From the Okefenokee Swamp comes a frog with a wide mouth that he just loves to use. He's particularly interested in the eating habits of other creatures found in the great outdoors--that is, of course, until he comes upon a big green one with lots of teeth who finds wide-mouthed frogs simply delicious. Full color.
Published March 1st 1996 by Dial (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Wide-Mouthed Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wide-Mouthed Frog

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
340th out of 3,046 books — 4,443 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
41st out of 286 books — 123 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
2 yr old twins loved it as well as my five year old. pop ups were fantastic. animals had mouths that you could make talk by opening and closing book, and the alligator mouth was so big it fascinated them all. only problem is that I can see this book getting beat up quickly. I'd recommend an adult keeping it on a high shelf for safe keeping.
Nicole
I thought I would start keeping track of the books I've read with my four year old, Dominic that we love reading together.

I am a passionate reader and it seems to be contagious... it's spread though-out the house. It starts slow little things here and there…my husband sees me reading a book with a smile. But the outbreak is bad when it comes to the younger members of the house hold…maybe its genetic?
I have always read with my children as my mother read to me and there are some children’s books...more
Dana
"I'm a wide-mouthed frog, and I eat flies!" said the wide-mouthed pop-up frog, sticking out his tongue. And he's curious to know what other animals eat, too. But the wide-mouthed frog must think fast when he comes across a wide-mouthed-frog-eating alligator! After reading this fun pop-up book, I had requests for "again!"
Jessica Allen
From my experience, toddlers seem to really enjoy this book a lot. The pop-up details are fun for children but it's best to have adults read this one aloud... it's easy for children to tear the pages since they are pop-up. Very cute and easy to comprehend for young children.
Hilary
This sturdy pop-up book is sure to please with its "splashy" ending! The pages can double as "puppets" as the reader gently moves the pages slightly open and closed and flips back and forth between characters. Best read-aloud choice of this folktale favorite.
Alexandra Jennelle
LOVED using this one in storytime. The kids liked it, too. It's fun to vary up the picture book routine and throw in a pop-up book.

This one works really well for storytime for a few reasons: it's BIG, so everyone can see; the text is easy to master so you can show off the book to greatest effect without having to look at it; the mouths of all the animals appear to open and close as you move the pages (so you can use the book as a puppet if you're really clever); and it's FUN to do the voices. Th...more
Jackie
Great for read-alouds...stretching your mouth as wide as it can go when the frog asks "What Do You Eat?"...until he comes to the alligator, it is a different story all together.

Used for "Frog Fever" Family Storytime-May, 2010.
Valerie
CLASSSIC! Gotta have, gotta read, gotta perform! My personal favorite of all Faulkner's stories. Great for animals, water, eating, or just plain scared! themes. Toddlers, preschoolers, school-age, adults. All love this book.
Brittany
This is a great book for kids because it is a pop-up book, which is so engaging for the kids. Also, my class made a paper bag puppet of a frog with a big tongue that sticks out just like the book...a lot of fun!
Camille Ryckman
This is a very nice, brightly-colored pop-up book that is perfect for a pre-school-aged story time program. The short story is about a frog who is interested in what other animals eat...until he meets an alligator!
Annotation: This is a great pop up book and the story is fun to tell. The more expression the better.
Age - Good for 2-6 years but with the caveat that they need to be gentle with the pictures.
Connection to six early literacy skills
Print Motivation - This is a great book that motivate...more
Ashley
I had this book recommended to me by this site so I requested it at our library.
My daughter does seem to like frogs or at least the frog puppet at our library and to say frogs which she points out in the opening for most of her nickjr dvds.
As soon as I open the cover she pointed out the frog and bubbles around the frog.
Second page in she likes that it pops out and her and she grabs his tongue.
Sadly the fourth page in this library book had a ripped up brown mouse.
I didn't like what the alligator...more
Kewpie
This is a GREAT book to read aloud to preschoolers. The pop-ups do their own thing when they open the book and they are easy to see and not too delicate. When I did storytellng events for the 2-5 year old crowd, this made them howl every time.

Slightly open and close the books just a little when each character speaks -- the pop-up is focused on the mouth and it makes the character "talk".

Read this book to a smaller group, a group that can understand the rules about being kind to books, or one wi...more
Bonnie Shaw
This is always a winner at storytime, especially when I purse my lips at the end to mimmick the frog and his little mouth. Parents usually laugh at the part the most.
Lindsay

I used this story for a frogs- and toads-themed story time program at the Great Valley Museum of Natural History at Modesto Junior College. The story is also great for participation because I also had the kids name the animals and tell me the colors of the animals. I will definitely u...more
Heather
This book was so good we read it twice. The pop ups were awesome like I've never seen before. Truly a great pop up. Recommended.
Anna
great for storytime this morning! always a good choice for the "big finish" book.
Katie Casey
High-quality pop-up. Very fun read, although Kenzie is so obsessed with this book that after reading it about 5 times in one day, I have to hide it for the rest of the day, or we'd read it 20! Whew!
Kathleen Raph

Funny story, great for kids, fun pop-outs throughout
Shanna
Brings down the house, every time. We love pop-up books!
Heather
40 months - O is really into the few pop up books we own. Two of which were my step sons and he was not overly careful with them to the point that there are no airplanes left in the Little Red Airplane Book. LOL. So I was on the search for a few available through the library. I have to admit I was bit underwhelmed. O Flipped through it a half dozen times but wasn't as taken as our others Why is it that pop ups are all pop up and zero story.
Meghan Hunt
Amanda Fletcher
This is Eve's favourite book. We began reading it at about 6 mths and she is now 9 mths and still loves it. It was the first book that she would stop and listen to and look at the pictures. Until we found the book, she would love to grab at the books or would be not really paying attention. This book has helped me to share my live of reading with my bub. Her books are now among her favourite toys.
Paul
Vivian
This pop-up version of the story is an attention grabber. Be sure to tell the story with an exaggerated wide mouth and then at the end with dramatically pursed lips. Your audience can be prompted to give a big clap as you turn the last page for the “Splash!” ending.
Beth
This is a fun book. My almost-two-year-old is going through a frog phase right now, and she LOVES this book. I have read it over and over, but I still like it.
Oct 30, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mothers, Children
This is by far my most favorite of all Pop-up Books. All of my kids loved it and its funny because when I hear them read it they use the same voices for the animals that I used when reading it to them.. Its a must have for reading to you children!!
Pop-ups are always a hit, but this well designed pop-up also features a well written, cumulative story. It may take a few readings before children totally understand what's going on, but it's not a problem as they'll ask for it again and again.
Marti
Adorable book for kids! Even my almost 7 yr old loved it. And it's a great story that will translate to oral storytelling (I know b/c I chose this for my storytelling class!) and easy to make puppets to go along with it.
Elaine
Warnie B.
Amusing pop-up book in which Wide-Mouthed Frog goes around asking various other animals what they eat. But he's in for a surprise when he asks Crocodile! Very funny ending, and the pop-ups are big and bright and entertaining.
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Jump!
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • I'm The Biggest Thing in the Ocean
  • Clip-Clop
  • Bark, George
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Lunch
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
The Long-Nosed Pig: A Pop-up Book The Big Yawn The Giraffe Who Cock-A-Doodle-Doo'd The Puzzled Penguin Pop! Went Another Balloon: A Magical Counting Storybook