Start by marking “Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman” as Want to Read:
Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman

Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In the bestselling tradition of Margaret Truman's biography Harry S. Truman, here are the 33rd U.S. President's fascinating theories and opinions on leadership and leaders, plus his picks for the best and worst presidents--all in his bluntly honest "give-em-hell" style.
Published October 1st 1990 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Buck Stops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Buck Stops

Aaron Million
This isn't so much a book as a collection of President Harry Truman's views on former presidents interspersed with his commentary on the history of the country. Certainly partisan, as one would expect with Truman - who was famous for being honest and pulling no punches with people. The book was not particularly well-written, as Truman frequently repeats himself and jumps around - talking about presidents that he thought were very poor, then beginning a sort of American history lesson, only to go ...more
I am really glad I read this and will read it again sometime. I laughed quite a bit at his honest way of talking and this book is a wonderful history lesson written as if he stood in front of class and lectured or (as someone else mentioned) as if he's speaking across the kitchen table carrying on conversation. I learned a lot, too, about truths they skip teaching us in school. I haven't seen my 74 year old dad read a book but he's asked me for this one. I have a feeling that for him it will be ...more
Philip Blen
With every sentence you hear Truman's voice. A truly marvelous book. Through his writing about his peers, you glean what he was made of. It was a enjoyable book.

I love Harry's blunt, straight talking style. Who better to capture him in print than the apple of his eye.
Ross Rosenfeld
Absolutely fantastic book. Truman's voice really shines through.
An interesting read. Harry tells it like it is.
Theresa is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2015
Tim Malone
Tim Malone marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Mike Soja
Mike Soja marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Alexandria Witt
Alexandria Witt is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015
Nate marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Lee Marks
Lee Marks marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Mary Armstrong
Mary Armstrong marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Robin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Mary added it
Apr 21, 2015
Jagan marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Duane Lester
Duane Lester marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Barb marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
MaryAnn marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Jan C
Jan C marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Pamela marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Susana Carlson 1 1 Jan 24, 2014 01:55AM
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...
Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1) Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4) Murder at the Library of Congress (Capital Crimes, #16) Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10) Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)