Start by marking “The Spider Stone (Rogue Angel #3)” as Want to Read:
The Spider Stone (Rogue Angel #3)

The Spider Stone (Rogue Angel #3)

In the crumbling remains of a tunnel that was part of the Underground Railroad, a mysterious artifact reveals one of the darkest secrets of Africa's ancient past. Intrigued by the strange, encrypted stone, archaeologist Annja Creed opens a door to a world--and a legend--bound by a fierce and terrible force. She is not alone in her pursuit of the impossible. A bloodthirsty ...more
Published November 7th 2006 by Gold Eagle

To ask other readers questions about The Spider Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spider Stone

Tim Mayer
Mar 07, 2013 Tim Mayer rated it really liked it

The Alex Archer Collective barrels forward with The Spider Stone, the third entry in the Rogue Angel series. In this episode Annja is called into the American South to investigate a mass murder at the beginning of the Civil War. Discovered during the excavation of a warehouse, they were all killed horribly when the building above them collapsed. One of the slaves was the guardian of the "Spider Stone", and ancient holy relic of the Hausa nation of Africa, given to them by the spider god Anansi.
Starfire
Aug 07, 2010 Starfire rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, action
The third daft-but-fun, action-heavy instalment in the Rogue Angel set about Annja Creed - the archaeologist who'd be Lara Croft if it wasn't for that annoying issue of copyright.

In this one, she's tracking down the treasure from a Hausa (a West African culture) artifact known as the Spider Stone.

There's very little in the way of thought required to read this book, although it's possible to learn a little about the "culture of the novel" which changes in each instalment in the series. It's ligh
Dianne Owens
Apr 30, 2014 Dianne Owens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love pulp-style adventure novels, with books in the Rogue Angel series holding a special place for me in particular. They are fast-paced, action-packed and have some rather interesting dialogue. The third book in the series is no exception, and Graphic Audio does another great full cast adaptation for the series.

GIST
When Annja Creed is asked to help with long-dead warriors found in a site about to be demolished, she is placed in the sights of a group of mercenaries charged with retrieving an
Casia Courtier
Sep 11, 2016 Casia Courtier rated it liked it
The Spider Stone is the third book in the Rogue Angel series. I actually liked this one better than the first two.

It's been a while since I started this series and I wasn't too sure if I should continue with it after the second book Solomon's Jar. But, I thought, why not? After all, I like series books and I needed something that wasn't a book for reviewing. So, I took it up.

I'm glad I did. The book consists of the typical badassery of Anja Creed, but has a history twist that I liked. It consist
Shelley
Nov 27, 2010 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archaeologist, and host of Chasing History's Monsters, Annja Creed finds herself on a major dig that was once part of the Underground Railroad in downtown Kirktown, Georgia. Intent on finding out who the dead bodies are, instead she finds in the debris, the Spider Stone, a mythical rock that was taken from Africa and brought to America during the time that slavery was part of the southern cultural.

The back story on the stone was really interesting. I read these books because the authors actuall
Claudia
Jul 05, 2012 Claudia rated it really liked it
This book had a very good plot, it had all the elements. The characters were believable.
Alex Archer has established Annja Creed as a woman who follows the clues no matter where they lead, and sometimes even at her own peril. She is a great fighter and the enchanted sword thst belonged to Joan of D'arc. It has been both a blessing and a curse, but they are stuck with each other.
The spider stone has traveled to America in the stomachs of young men for generations until a jealous 11 year old who k
Rebekkila
Aug 01, 2010 Rebekkila rated it it was ok
Shelves: thrillers
In the crumbling remains of a tunnel that was part of the Underground Railroad a mysterious artifact reveals one of the darkest secrets of Africa's ancient past. Intrigued by the strange, encrypted stone, archaeologist Annja Creed opens a door to a world-and a legend-bound by a fierce and terrible force. She is not alone. In the pursuit of the impossible. A bloodthirsty African warlord, and an international corporate magnate exploiting a land, a culture and a people, are equally anxious to stake ...more
Heather Willson
Sep 03, 2012 Heather Willson rated it it was ok
Listened to this book with my husband.
1) I don't like the over-production of GraphicAudio corporation.
2) It got really cheesy on several occasions that I was embarrassed - I've read 15+ books by the author, and this was the first I was able to get my husband to listen to - and it wasn't near to the author's best.
3) I seriously don't like the author's early works. I'm inter-library loaning all of the Rogue Angel series, and I accept that the books under 2006 should just be ignored. Now I need
Keziah Wallis
Feb 08, 2010 Keziah Wallis rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-edit
Well book 3 managed to come back from the disjointedness of book 2 and felt a lot more flowing and enjoyable. Annja stopped taking intuitive leaps and rather followed a trail this time, although she was helped along by the mysterious spiritual woman of the Hausa tribe. I liked the investigation of the mythology and history of the Hausa people of Africa along with the very frank and brutal discussions around slavery and the slave trade that Annja has in this book both with the students at the dig ...more
Joy
Oct 04, 2013 Joy rated it liked it
This was written better than the second book but the author still has to elaborate and only insinuates that there are more powers from the sword of Joan of Arc than Annja has discovered. This one takes place in Africa so it seemed more fresh than the previous biblical artifact quest (done to death.)

Still lots of Gun Opera
Toni Wulfekuhl
Mar 31, 2011 Toni Wulfekuhl rated it liked it
"A Movie in your Mind"
Female Indy Jones/Joan of Arc

A bloodthirsty African warlord, and an international corporate magnate exploiting a land, a culture and a people, are equally anxious to stake their claim on the relic's unknown power. Annja's odyssey deep into the primeval jungles of Senegal becomes a desperate race to stop those eager to unleash the virulence of the Spider God
Al Cormier
Jul 25, 2010 Al Cormier rated it really liked it
This, the third offering in this great series, was much better than the second book. The story was more cohesive, and flowed nicely. Annja meets yet another "lamppost" as she tries to find her way along the darkened path created by the sword, and its two protectors. I enjoyed the story and look forward to reading her next adventure :o)
Lyly
May 15, 2014 Lyly rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book, I find I prefer it over Solomon's Jar, the subject of slavery is always a hard one to read about, your own tribesmen selling you as if you were theirs to sell. I loved that Garin was in this book, I have a fondness for him.
Elizabeth Aiello
Sep 29, 2015 Elizabeth Aiello rated it really liked it
3rd book of the series, and I find myself really enjoying them. Annja Creed is like a young female Indiana Jones. History, thriller, detective work all rolled in.
Definitely looking forward to reading more of the series.
Cindy
May 01, 2014 Cindy added it
I really enjoy this book. Lots of suspense but at times it is a bit tedious. Overall rating (1-10) would be a 9.5 . I LOVE that it is just a suspense story not mixed up with romance. Kind of feel like you are getting a history lesson at the same time LOL.
Jillian
Apr 13, 2014 Jillian rated it it was amazing
To really experience this series at its best I highly recommend listening to the graphic audiobook. I couldn't stop listening and it was over before I realized it. Great action, good storyline and interesting characters. What more could you want.
Nicole Cadet
Apr 03, 2013 Nicole Cadet rated it did not like it
I like the concept of the book series, they're fun, quick to read, and tend to wander into some more obscure mythology/ archaeology. But this one was awful.

The story was just horrible, the action's primary goal was to gross out the viewer, and to be frank it was boring.
Tpiac
Jul 19, 2008 Tpiac rated it liked it
Not spectacular, but pretty good. I liked the characterization, but some things were a little odd. Like the fight sequences? Reminded me of the Loch Ness monster: I just don't know enough about the subject to definitively say it works, but it definately seems unlikely.
Vikky
Jul 26, 2012 Vikky rated it really liked it
Another exciting adventure. I was worried that it might disappoint as the second book did compared to the first, but I was sucked into the excitement of the chase all the way through. Onto the fourth book now :)
Derek Jordan
Jan 15, 2014 Derek Jordan rated it really liked it
With much of the starter slowing down and the initial points of whatever mystery being the 'big story' I found this third one quite interesting.

A bunch of stuff I have not quite read before... I guess this kind of this is either not written about much.. or I have just missed out on it.
Sherry S
Jun 07, 2015 Sherry S rated it it was amazing
This series is a cross between Indiana Jones & Laura Croft tomb raider. Adventure & mystery abound in this archeological tale. Annja Creed is caught in the middle once again. The characters and storyline are well developed. The story was intriguing and engrossing.
Sarah Alawami
Dec 24, 2015 Sarah Alawami rated it really liked it
I don't know much about the history, but the settings were just awesome. I take interest in the african gods so this was pretty cool to learn about , if some of it is accurate, and who knows, some of it might be. It can't all be false.
Kathy Davie
Aug 31, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Annja's archeological adventures take her from solving how the mysteries of why the bodies of slaves found buried in an old factory in the South connect to an ancient legend in Africa. Indiana Jones-style, Annja encounters her share of murderous thugs, mercenaries, and paranoid industrialists.
Wysteria
Dec 10, 2012 Wysteria rated it liked it
If this book were any longer, I might not have finished it. Not a bad story. Not really that good either.
Mandi
Aug 06, 2013 Mandi rated it really liked it
This book seemed more like the first to me. Definitely a much quicker and better read than the second was. Here's hoping that the rest of the series continues to be as good...
Mai-ana
This was much better than book 2. The storyline you could follow, and made sense. She didn't harp on about how good the main character is at everything, although there was the language thing.
Mickey Reed
Dec 11, 2009 Mickey Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Liked this one more than the second one. Much more interesting and made more sense. Kept my attention better as well.
Jenn
Sep 17, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
Not my favorite plot line but I did enjoy the read its a great quick fun read every time!!! On to the next...
April Parrish
Apr 11, 2009 April Parrish rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of the series so far. Lots of action and archeology. A must read if you like adventure. Classified as sci-fi but is mostly action packed.
Jørgen Gangfløt
Jørgen Gangfløt rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Pelican Bay
  • Waking the Dead (Laying a Ghost, #3)
  • A Call to Arms
  • Within Arm's Reach
  • Out of the Black
  • Skeleton Crew (Underworld Cycle, #2)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Thieves of Blood (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #1)
  • Ice and Fire (Deathlands, #8)
  • Elena's Serenade
  • Heroes
  • Ghost War
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho: A Reader's Guide
  • The Call of the Sword (Chronicles of Hawklan, #1)
  • The Secret of the Keepers (Kailmeyra Book 2)
  • Curse the Dark (Retrievers, #2)
A house name for the Rogue Angel series, published by the Harlequin Publishing's Gold Eagle division.

The first eight novels were written by Victor Milan and Mel Odom. New writers joining the series starting with book nine include Jon Merz and Joseph Nassise.
More about Alex Archer...

Rogue Angel (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • Destiny (Rogue Angel #1)
  • Solomon's Jar (Rogue Angel #2)
  • The Chosen (Rogue Angel #4)
  • Forbidden City (Rogue Angel #5)
  • The Lost Scrolls (Rogue Angel #6)
  • God of Thunder (Rogue Angel #7)
  • Secret of the Slaves (Rogue Angel #8)
  • Warrior Spirit (Rogue Angel #9)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Rogue Angel #10)
  • Provenance (Rogue Angel #11)