Start by marking “Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer” as Want to Read:
Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer

Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A one-stop, no-nonsense introduction to the work of postmodern theorists like Jacques Derrida, Michael Foucault and Judith Butler that has redefined women's, gay and gender studies. Nationally known gender activist Riki Wilchins combines straightforward prose with concrete examples from LGBT and feminist politics to guide the reader through the ideas that have forever alte ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 272 pages
Published January 6th 2011 by ReadHowYouWant (first published August 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Queer Theory, Gender Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queer Theory, Gender Theory

Michael Palkowski

The first three chapters deal with very brief parsimonious history lessons about the scope of activism that underpinned much of later queer theory and postmodern gender analysis. Although useful as a primer to someone trying to enter the subject from the beginning, It's still extremely thin and doesn't give much insight at all that isn't reproduced elsewhere in much better detail. It is replete with quite a few questionable statements as well such as:

"In a male centred culture, woman will alway
Adrianne
This book was featured at the website of the local LGBT bookstore, for quite some time, so I thought it would be worth checking it out. At page 85, somewhere halfway through the book, I felt compelled to put it down. It was a chore reading it. Lacking passion and not even hinting at humor anywhere, I had the feeling I was listening to an one-tone-tune, in an ever flat landscape.
I wasn't into postmodernist theory anyway, and this book didn't any nearly convert me. I will probably return to it so
Erin Reilly-Sanders
This is a bit more of a summary than typical but I think it gets at some of the strengths of the book particularly in the practical application of rather confusing theoretical perspective. I love the focus on stories, personal experiences, and constructive asides that Wilkins uses that make this quite readable and enjoyable.

Queer Theory, Gender Theory is a colloquial exploration of post modern theory applied to the issues of feminism, gender, and queer theory. Wilchins draws on her own experienc
Holli Lunan
best thing i read was 'If sex is not just about reproduction, it is not just about genes, XY chromosomes, and hormones either. Sex is introduced to explain skeletal structure, mental aptitude, posture, emotional disposition, aesthetic preference, body fat, sexual orientation and responsiveness, athletic ability, social dominance, shape and weight, artistic ability. It is also supposed to explain any number of so-called "instincts", including the nesting instinct, the maternal instinct, and perha ...more
Heather
This is a really excellent book -- a great introduction to queer theory and gender theory as well as a very accessible overview of the theorists (Derrida, Foucault, and Butler in particular) that have shaped these two fields. I admire how Wilchins so clearly articulates some of the complex theoretical concepts I've been trying to work through in my own mind for years. I also admire her insistence that these theories need to be (and can be) applied through political action and social change.
Gabe
This book is an excellent primer on gender theory and queer theory. It's accessible to a popular audience while still tacking the issues surrounding gender and how it is lived. The only thing that would keep me from giving this book 5 stars is that the last chapter is basically a commercial for the author's PAC. It left me feeling like the substance of the book was just the buildup of an infomercial. With that warning I'd easily recommend it to anyone interested in gender.
Karen
This book was wonderful! I love the fact that she brings her readers up to a higher level by presenting Foucault and other theorists in ways that are clear without dumbing anything down. The book reads as if she is saying "You CAN do theory!" She makes postmodernism seem totally relevant to life (though I liked postmodernism already, so I'm not the hardest to convince), and I liked the balance of academic and personal. I will probably reread this one.
Amy P.
One of the problems with academic writing is make it accessible for the masses. Many academics write brilliant things that would benefit society at large, yet only other academics really understand it. However, the author does a great job in this book of break down such queer and gender theorists as Judith Butler and Michel Foucault so that anyone should be able to understand their general principles to their theories.
Broodingferret
Finally, a primer on gender theory that is actually written in english and not the hoity-toity arcana of academia. Though I'm not fully convinced as to the validity or aplicability of her argument, Riki Wilchins does write very well and puts the previously indeciferable concepts of gender theory into easily understood language.

I wish this thing had a spell-check.
Kathleen O'Neal
The best book on queer theory or gender theory that I have ever read. It's accessible without dumbing down the challenging thinkers whose work it presents. It succeeds brilliantly in making the work of postmodern philosophers relevant to the lives of LGBTQ people and essentially everyone. I cannot say enough good things about this book.
Heath Schultz
I haven't read much queer theory, but have flirted with some of the post-structuralist/postmodernists that Wilchins explores in this text. It's very approachable without sacrificing the sophistication or complexity of theory, while explicitly pointing out the political and social implications of queer theory. Extremely helpful.
Michael Braithwaite
This is not a lot of academic hoo-ha about gender theory. This IS a fascinating and at times hilarious easy read for anyone who wants an intro on gender theory (this includes intersex issues), queer theory, and generally anything kind of fucked up about the world in which we live. You've got to laugh at that though, yes? Yes.
Peggy
quite insightful introduction to gender theory. informs about the different movements and the quarrels between them. sometimes it reads slightly like a pamphlet for genderPAC, which it shouldn't as wilchins tries to have at least a pseudo scholarly approach to the subject.
David
This book is really good because it gives the background on modern gender theory and queer theory. It is developed from a theoretical and historical perspective, thus making it easy for people not familiar with things such as feminist theory or post modernism.
Carmen something
A short and powerful read about queering gender and lgbt movements. Complexifies the intersections of gender, power, identity, and sex in a most satisfying manner. I think I heart Wilchins.
Suzemahoney
True to its title "an instant primer" succinctly and clearly covers Derrida, Foucault, issues of meaning, identity, gender, etc. This book is FULL and an easy read.
Mirrordance
Piccolo saggio divulgativo sul genere abbastanza alla portata di tutti. Un piccolo bignamino sul pensiero filosofico degli ultimi 60 anni su sesso e genere.
Sara Jaye
A decent introduction for the very new. Somewhat toooo oversimplified for anyone looking for more than the most basic concepts in the most basic language.
Julie
It's amazing how destructive we can be when we box people into our binary view of gender. It's very sad, and I hope we can educate people so the damage stops.
Jenbscott
A good introduction to postmodern theories of sexuality presented in a far less confusing manner than the original texts on the subject.
Sayra
I thought it was quite good, nice use of personal stories, but not as academic as I was expecting and wanting.
Anna
LOVED IT! The absolute very best explanation of postmodern theory queer theory. Extremely accessible language.
Liz
This is the book I wanted to write...
Malachi
A fantastic Queer Theory Primer
Tera
Jan 12, 2008 Tera rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminsts & queers
good queer theory intro book.
Cornelius Lee
Cornelius Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Rori Meza
Rori Meza marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary
  • PoMoSexuals: Challenging Assumptions About Gender and Sexuality
  • In a Queer Time and Place: Transgender Bodies, Subcultural Lives
  • How Sex Changed: A History of Transsexuality in the United States
  • My Gender Workbook: How to Become a Real Man, a Real Woman, the Real You, or Something Else Entirely
  • The Transgender Studies Reader
  • Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality
  • Becoming a Visible Man
  • Against Equality: Queer Critiques of Gay Marriage
  • Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity
Riki Wilchins is an activist whose work has focused on the impact of gender norms. While she started out as a transgender leader -- founding the first national transgender advocacy group (GenderPAC) -- her analysis and work broadened over time to include discrimination and violence regardless of individuals' identity. While this perspective has been widely accepted, its breadth has provoked critic ...more
More about Riki Anne Wilchins...
Read My Lips: Sexual Subversion and the End of Gender GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary Women on Women 3: A New Anthology of American Lesbian Fiction Thinking Queerly: Race, Sex, Gender, and the Ethics of Identity