Start by marking “My Life as a Chicken” as Want to Read:
My Life as a Chicken

My Life as a Chicken

When Pauline Poulet learns she'll be the next special of the day at Cock-a-Doodle-Doo Café, she flies the coop faster than you can say "Chicken pie, delicious"! Thus begins her journey of peril and catastrophe, courage and chance: She is chased. She is dunked. She is tossed tail over beak. But can Pauline escape the dinner plate?

Kids everywhere willlove clucking along wit
Published May 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about My Life as a Chicken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life as a Chicken

Boni
Mar 22, 2008 Boni rated it really liked it
Although there isn't much to this book plot-wise, it is a hilarious read-aloud and the illustrations are terrific. My kids couldn't follow the story, but they were highly entertained by my goofy reading. Fun language, offbeat meter and a refrain you will hear from your kids for days afterward- "Pauline prevail!" -even though they still don't know what it means!
Joanna
Sep 20, 2012 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: primary-books
When Pauline the hen discovers she is going to be eaten, she escapes from the farm in search of a better life. Her adventures take her to the forest, the ocean and the sky before happily settling down in a petting zoo.

The rhyming in this book is fun and enjoyable to read. The illustrations, however, are what make the book- they are hilarious.

I would recommend this as independent reading for primary students, and even as a read-aloud for intermediates.
Teresa
Sep 13, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for rhyming words and playful fun words that describe the chickens situation. The situations in this book are very outrageous and fun for kids to read. This would be a great book to read during down time or to transition from a rowdy activity to something calm.
Margaret
Mar 28, 2010 Margaret rated it liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: gregnmeg@gmail.com
I thought this book was a fun read with my 6 year old. I especially loved reading "Pauline Prevail" in a chicken voice. You had to be here to appreciate it...but my son enjoyed it.
Sue
Oct 10, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
Dena (Batch of Books)
Nov 26, 2012 Dena (Batch of Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Read more reviews on my blog: Books for Kids

Humor oozes from every page of this delightful picture book! It was funny, witty, and engaging. Wildly entertaining, My Life as a Chicken will have children and adults laughing at the long string of misfortunes that befall Pauline as she tries to escape one hungry creature after another.

The writing is well done and there are just enough words to every page that the story moves forward nicely.

I am giving this book four stars. The only reason it is not
Jessica Vu
This book may be hard for younger children to follow even though they will be laughing really hard at the chicken's adventure. I would use this book with a 3-5th grade class to illistrate how I might go about looking up words I wasn't sure the meaning of. I would model it first, but using the dictionary, an online resource or asking a friend, etc. to help me find out the meaning of the word. I would then give each student a word and ask that they bring me a definition in their own words, and a ...more
Dolly
Apr 16, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our youngest borrowed this book from her elementary school library. We just had to read it right away and we really liked it. The sing-song rhyming narrative and the hilarious and colorful cartoonish illustrations really make this a fun book to read aloud. The plot really reminded us a lot of Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken by Kate DiCamillo, but it was a much sillier story.
Megan Mccormick
Oct 12, 2014 Megan Mccormick rated it did not like it
Shelves: edrd-314
this book was cute but not my favorite. It was too long for me and the words were difficult i felt. If i was a child trying to read this then i would have struggled. The illustration is nice however i just did not like this book and was waiting for it to be over. the only reason i had to finish this book was because i was reading this to my friend and i could stop. had i been reading it lone i would have stopped simply because i did not like this book.
April Thompson
May 24, 2014 April Thompson rated it it was ok
I realize this is supposed to be a story of an adventurous chicken that is trying to escape the inevitable (in her mind), but it just didn't float my boat. Although there were pirates, and I just love pirates, it fell short for me. Poor Pauline has quite a few issues to deal with before ending up where she feels she belongs. Overall I think kids would enjoy the story, but again, didn't do it for me.
Greta
Mar 03, 2009 Greta rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The perils of Pauline--wasn't that a bad "b" movie? Anyway, the book about the perils of Pauline chicken is as far fetched as the movie. It's just one more thing after another. Kids love it though.

I just re-read it and it's grown on me a bit. It's better the second time around. I change it to a three star book.
Nicole
Nov 07, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Read this to my almost 3-year-old tonight. The pictures are great and tell the story better than the words. The story is told in prose and uses quite a few large words that are too much for kids to really get the story. They get the pictures, but they won't get the story by listening to it. Bottom line: Great illustrations.
The Brothers
Feb 12, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chickens, escapes
Asher (4yo) rates this five stars because he found the illustrations pretty funny. The story itself is about the catastrophes that befall this chicken who's escaping from her coop to keep from being turned into dinner. I loved the rhymes and how the chicken would declare throughout the book, "Pauline prevail!"

Nice, fun illustrations.
Mitchell Ary
Oct 22, 2014 Mitchell Ary rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
i liked the rhyme scheme within the book and i liked how the author made the book humorous. and the humor kept me intrigues while reading the book. i laughed out loud at this outlandish chicken because her adventures were so ridiculous. i like this book but not enough to give it 5 stars unfortunately.
Lisa
Apr 16, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
I so wanted to give this 5 stars, but had to knock it down to 4 1/2 because of one small line--the last--which is unfortunate because it is a wonderfully written book. I just couldn't abide the author intrusion at the end.
But, I will probably buy this book for my collection as it is full of wonderful verse and it is a nice companion book with Sailor Moo: Cow At Sea. Well done!
Mike Stucka
Apr 29, 2012 Mike Stucka rated it it was amazing
Possibly the finest children's book ever written. The rhymes, the color, the action are all among the best out there. Heck, we had this book memorized before the kid was born, because the parents just liked reading it so much to the belly.
Michael
Nov 13, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Kind of a fun story; I liked the style of the rhymes, and I liked the "Pauline Prevail!" refrain, it seemed to embody "girl power" if that makes any sense. Was disappointed that the human cast was all White, but the main characters were the animals, and the wacky, convoluted scenery.
Ubalstecha
Think Perils of Pauline, but Pauline is a chicken. Lots of texts, so not really for the yougest set, but older children will enjoy the story of a chicken who gets into greater and greater scrapes trying to escape being a pie.
Shelly Lindsey
This book has numerous rhyming words. The chicken is searching for a place to fit in and this is a topic that many children are expereincing. There are various words that would be great for vocabulary building.
Jennifer Heise
Sep 03, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
My five year old son brought this home from the school library, loved it, and giggled insanely over Pauline's perils (even if he didn't quite get her battle cry, "Pauline, Prevail!"). A fun book for reading together that gave him good fodder for the 'what was this book about' questions.
Mim
Mar 13, 2012 Mim rated it really liked it
This was a neat short story, I think we've read it 10 times now. The chicken (Pauline) doesn't like her life so she decides to change things...she goes through many adversities and finally ends up with the life she always wanted. "Pauline Prevail!"
Angela
Jan 07, 2016 Angela rated it liked it
Personally, I LOVE this book. But it may be just a bit too long and over their heads for storytime.

The vocab is a challenge. Might be great for a one-on-one especially if your kid loves disaster after disaster type books.
Carol Royce Owen
Apr 14, 2012 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
Pauline has learned that the owner of the egg hatchery where she is employed has developed a taste for chicken. So off she goes to save herself. As she runs, though she finds herself in several situations, and each seems worse than the last.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
It is about a chicken who lived on a farm whose master was talking about killing him to make pie. He did not want to be eaten so he fled. On his journey he was chased by other animals, pushed over board, and finally his journey ended at a petty zoo where he felt more comfortable.
Leslie
Jul 06, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it
Pauline Poulet has had an unusual life for a chicken and is quite possibly the most well traveled chicken I've ever read about. Like any fair explorer, Pauline is happy to settle down once she finds a place that pleases her.

Story in rhyme, older child more like to "get' humor.
Sassy
Jun 28, 2013 Sassy rated it did not like it
This book is obnoxious. The ryhming is too much. Distracting. The illustrations are decent, but unfortunately not good enough to make this book worth reading all the way through. Especially not aloud.
Meg McGregor
Jul 03, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I do enjoy the illustrations and the ending of this book is just wonderful!

I read the book twice and just thought the plot was a little convoluted for a children's book.
Yates Marie
Sep 13, 2010 Yates Marie rated it liked it
This book is very funny. The children would absolutely love it. It is about a chicken and its journey to survive. Finally it ends up in a safe environment.
Torrey
Mar 02, 2009 Torrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I loved this book. I love the phrase, "Pauline Prevails" because that's just what she does in the story.
The Reading Countess
Apr 14, 2010 The Reading Countess rated it liked it
Shelves: youngest-boy
The youngest and I read this one together, although I enjoyed the puns and adult humor more so than him!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Me I Am!
  • Where Did They Hide My Presents?  silly dilly Christmas songs
  • Me With You
  • Would I Ever Lie to You?
  • Felicity Floo Visits the Zoo