Start by marking “Much Ado About English” as Want to Read:
Much Ado About English

Much Ado About English

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Richard Watson Todd touches on all aspects of the English language, from onomatopeia to cliches, politically correct language to Cockney rhyming slang, metaphors and oxymorons, in a lighthearted and engaging manner."
Published October 1st 2007 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published October 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Much Ado About English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Much Ado About English

Becca-Rawr
Feb 04, 2011 Becca-Rawr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun book to read, especially on a really busy weekend. As an English Major, it's always fun to dive into the language I love to use. This book dives into said language, but ignores the boring drabble that bores even myself.

The chapters are fun and thought provoking, about all sorts of aspects of the language. And even chapters you'd think would be boring, like plurals, the author makes enjoyable.
Toby
Jan 16, 2010 Toby rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Short and sweet discussion about some of the peculiarities of the English language. I'm a word nerd but I learned new things from this book: For example, using the word 'bread' for money comes from Cockney rhyming slang (bread and honey = money). The plural of 'octopus' is NOT 'octopi' since the root of the word is Greek and the convention of changing 'us' to 'i' for the plural is Latin. Proper Greek would be 'octopodes' but the conventional English plural is 'octopuses'. I knew that 'e' is the ...more
Edy Gies
What a fun book! English is a wonderfully adept and exciting language, but why? Todd explores the oddities of English and it marvelous and strange ways. My favorite was learning that English has a word for almost everything, e.g. spanghew - the action of throwing a frog in the air and catching it. This is a great way to get students or anyone stuck learning the language to appreciate its idiosyncrasies and grammar. Highly recommend!
Charity
Oct 04, 2008 Charity rated it really liked it
I like nerdy books and this is one of them. Interesting facts about our crazy language as well as origins of various words and how the English has evolved.
Karen
Fun Book, short chapters. So interesting to see how our language evolved. And it continues to evolve--Unique anyone?
Steve
Aug 11, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny compilation of English's weirdest words. And phrases. Fun read!
Sara
Aug 01, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just a fun read :)
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Chris Garratt
Chris Garratt rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Teefa
Teefa marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
julia
julia marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Dom Salmon
Dom Salmon marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Darrin
Darrin rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Maria Law
Maria Law marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Steven Wayne
Steven Wayne marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Akshay
Akshay marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Mawluddin
Mawluddin marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Dеnnis
Dеnnis marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Bunny
Bunny rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Lorri
Lorri marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014