Start by marking “India Black and the Widow of Windsor (Madam of Espionage, #2)” as Want to Read:
India Black and the Widow of Windsor (Madam of Espionage, #2)

India Black and the Widow of Windsor (Madam of Espionage #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,222 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Black is back! Her Majesty's favorite spy is off to Scotland in this new adventure to ensure the Queen doesn't end up getting killed.

When Queen Victoria attends a séance, the spirit of her departed husband, Prince Albert, insists she spend Christmas at their Scottish home in Balmoral. Prime Minister Disraeli suspects the Scottish nationalists plan to assassinate the Queen-
Published October 4th 2011 by Berkley Prime Crime

Holly
Jan 28, 2015 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
First off: I WANT the dress on the cover of this book!! I love it!! And second: I love India! Love her snarky, dry wit. Several times I found myself laughing or smirking from what India does or says. Also, I want to know French better. So glad I stumbled upon this series.
Elysium
Nov 12, 2011 Elysium rated it really liked it
When Queen Victoria suddenly decides to spend her Christmas in Scotland, the prime minister gets worried that nationalists try to assassinate the queen. He enlists the help of India and French to prevent that from happening. India will play the part of housemaid to an old marchioness who spends most of her waking hours snuffing anything possible.

Finally I got to read the second book! And it didn’t disappoint me! Can’t believe it took me so long.

It was fun seeing India trying play the servant par
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
I've been waiting for this book pretty much from the minute I finished the first one, and I'm thrilled to say it's a happy reunion.  Everything I loved from the first book -- the humor, the banter, the historical detail, the action scenes, India -- was in this book and I gobbled it up.

Again reprising her role as a Victorian Bond Girl, India is enlisted to go undercover to Balmoral, where Queen Victoria is spending Christmas (rather unusually).  Prime Minister Disraeli (another returning charact
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

4.25 out of 5

India Black returns for a second outing - true to form, and full of the same humor and wit that made her so memorable and damned fun in the first novel. While I found this second in the series to be just slightly below the level of the first, India Black and the Widow of Windsor is still a highly entertaining, genuinely fun, and interesting new historical mystery. Here in round number two as a madam of espionage, India must once again g
Tim Hicks
Aug 10, 2014 Tim Hicks rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, historical
Disappointing.

Book 1 showed us a clever character who can run a business, deal with people, and face danger.
Book 2 gives us a snobbish ditherer who spends half the book admiring muscular calves. She seems less intelligent, shallower, and much more judgmental.

This Berkley Prime Crime edition was badly in need of a copy editor; when I got to 16 major corrections I stopped counting, and I wasn't halfway.

Speaking of halfway, the first 170 pages or so were downright boring. Nothing much has happe
Laura Lee
Nov 07, 2013 Laura Lee rated it really liked it
Loads of fun! India pretends to be a ladies maid for a guest at Christmas at Balmoral. The Scots are rebelling and want the Queen dead. Poor Vicky! India and French save the day and India finds out a little something about her deceased mother.
Althea Ann
Sep 21, 2011 Althea Ann rated it did not like it
Picked this up because I saw it described as a fun, light read. I wasn't feeling well, and thought it might be nice to read while lying in bed. Unfortunately, I found reading it to be a tedious chore, interspersed with moments of serious aggravation.
Our heroine, India Black is supposed to be the proprietress of a brothel. It's nothing more than a gimmick, because we never see her acting as such. She makes a few callous remarks regarding her "sluts," but that's it. The problem is that India isn'
Misfit
Mar 08, 2011 Misfit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

"And so my life as a lady's maid began."

India Black is back in book two, and she's just as feisty and irreverent as ever. Queen Victoria is convinced that Albert's ghost wants her to join him in Scotland at Balmoral castle, but there's a slight hitch as it seems there's a plot afoot to off the Queen and free Scotland. Disraeli (Dizzy) calls in French and India to go under cover and stop the evil doers and they're soon on their way to Scotland to join the festivities - India gets the job
Blodeuedd Finland
I do think I liked this even better than book 1. It might have been the downstairs/upstairs things ;)

Right, so our favorite brothel owner has been sent to Scotland. There she will play the part of a servant. Being a former whore, India does know how to act and get information. Sure she is not the best all the time, but who would be that when put in a situation like this without any schooling. So I like her.

French is there too playing the bored aristocrat who does what he wants. And there was som
Gail
Jul 01, 2013 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
India Black finds herself drafted again to assist Prime Minister Disraeli in foiling a plots against the Crown and the government. This time, it is a radical Scots independence group threatening to assisinate Queen Victoria. Both French, the mysterious and attractive government agent and the odiferous imp, Vincent, are there as well. They travel to Balmoral castle as a ne'er do well fop, a ladies maid and a stable boy to uncover the plot.

Another great narrative with a strong minded heroine with
Veronica
Aug 31, 2013 Veronica rated it liked it
The second installment in the India Black series didn't quite live up to its predecessor but it was still a good read. As the events all took place at Balmoral Castle, as India, French, and Vincent try to ferret out a nationalist plot to assassinate the Queen, it lacked some of the sense of adventure that the first novel had. India remains an entertaining, smart heroine however and her interactions with French continue to intrigue. Speaking of French, I think the story could've benefited from a ...more
Kathleen
Apr 15, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
I still love India Black. She's still tons of fun, still unapologetically a whore (or, well, a madam really), still extremely funny, and still does not give a fuck what anyone thinks of her. Also, the marchioness in this book is AMAZING, full stop. An elderly woman who knows all and attempts to hint to her dumb-as-bricks co-collaborators? And sprays snuff on the Queen of England? YES PLEASE.

Seriously, this is funny, apparently historically accurate (not my period, but it seems good to me) and a
Renee
Mar 21, 2011 Renee rated it really liked it
This is a fun, witty series that reminds me a bit of Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Gray books. I love the mild sexual tension between India and French as well as the mystery and I will admit I couldn't quite figure out who the potential assassin was. All in all in spite of some coarse language, this series is very entertaining and great to read if you don't have a lot of time to devote to reading. This was definitely and improvement on book one.
Susie
Apr 17, 2012 Susie rated it really liked it
This book was so much better than the first one! India, French and Vincent get sent to Balmoral to try and stop a plot to kill the queen. This time around, India and French have some sexual tension building up - and maybe more on his part than on hers. The mystery was good - I didn't see it coming until the end and I enjoyed the new characters introduced. Looking forward to reading more and finding out about India's mother.
Foggygirl
May 12, 2015 Foggygirl rated it really liked it
A very entertaining read, at times laugh out loud funny. No joke, my family gave me odd looks when I would suddenly start cackling at something in the book which incidentally happened a lot with these characters, loved the Marchioness and her penchant for snuff. I think that I have found a new favourite author.
Melodie
Sep 05, 2015 Melodie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
India's gone to Scotland with Queen Victoria to spend Christmas at Balmoral. Disraeli suspects someone is out to kill the old girl, so India and French are sent to look after her. If you like a good historical mystery with a cheeky heroine, this one may be for you! Recommend!
Angela
Sep 26, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
Loved this book. It had some really funny moments and the Marchioness was such a hoot. India Black working as an agent for the British Government might be just the perfect ingredient for trying to solve a crime. I use the word trying as sometimes the results aren't quite what you expect.
Summer Ann
I loved this just as much as the first book, my only complaint is that at times India can be a bit snobbish and judgmental.
Jaylee
Feb 11, 2017 Jaylee rated it really liked it
These books are so much fun, omg. This one split French and India up which I don't feel like was a good choice? The story dragged in parts, and I didn't super care about most of the supporting cast. Also my ideas of India being aromantic were kind of crushed as she swooned a few times over French. Ah well. I can get behind shipping them, too. :P

I'm not sure how to feel about the period-appropriate racism in this book. India is so completely grey neutral on everything, she just accepts other peo
Robin
Jan 18, 2017 Robin rated it really liked it
There is much to enjoy in India's latest adventure with French, Vincent and Disraeli. Watching India interacting as lady's maid to the irascible, snuff addicted yet cany, elderly marchioness is hilarious. As in previous bks the contrast between India's assertions about her own callousness is at odds with her behavior, a difficult tightrope to walk for a writer using first-person narrative, but Carr does it beautifully. My major frustration with this mission to find the assassins attempting to ki ...more
Bree T
Mar 24, 2011 Bree T rated it really liked it
In the second volume of the Madam of Espionage series, India Black is back. This time she’s summoned to a meeting with Benjamin Disraeli, the Prime Minister of England. Queen Victoria, who has been consulting mediums to try and keep in touch with her dead husband Albert, has been isntructed that Albert wishes her to spend Christmas at Balmoral, their Scottish pile. Disraeli has received intelligence that the Scots, who are seeking independence, are possibly planning an attack on the Queen’s life ...more
Ariel
Oct 28, 2011 Ariel rated it really liked it

The story opens with a rigged seance for Queen Victoria in which the spirit of her departed husband, Prince Albert, literally insists that she spend Christmas in their Scottish castle Balmoral. Balmoral was purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852 (twenty four years before this story) and they would regularly spend the holidays there. But there is growing discontent among Scottish loyalists who resent the British rule. Prime Minister Disraeli is suspicious that Scottish nationalists
Anachronist
Nov 30, 2011 Anachronist rated it it was ok

What I liked:

The whole book was more a comedy than a sleuth or adventure novel. I loved the beginning but I regretted we didn’t see that false psychic (is there a true psychic out there?) and her daughter again. Like the first part of this series, reviewed by me not so long ago, the story is told once again from India’s point of view so of course it is snarky and entertaining. India suffers greatly helping the old Marchioness survive the royal festivities without killing herself during the meals
Kathy
Bev
Carol K. Carr has done it again! In the second novel of her Madam of Espionage Mysteries, India Black and the Widow of Windsor, Carr has given us a rip-roaring adventure in the Scottish Highlands. Queen Victoria, aka the Widow of Windsor, still in deep mourning for her beloved Prince Albert, consults regularly with mediums to keep in contact with the dearly departed. When she tries out a new spiritualist who has recently gained fame in the higher echelons of society, her husband tells her that n ...more
Kristen
Well, book two in the India Black series was just as enjoyable as the first!

I'm always excited when I discover a series I love, especially when there are a bunch of books still to read. India Black is an absolutely smashing character! She's smart, sassy, irreverent and has a hilarious lack of respect for anyone but herself. Luckily, that comes across as just downright funny.

The author of these books must be a bunch of fun to know, because nobody without a healthy sense of humour themselves could
LORI CASWELL
Sep 25, 2011 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
India Black is back and on a new mission with her friend French in Scotland.

Queen Victoria attended a séance where she is contacted by her dearly departed husband, Prince Albert, where he insists she break tradition and spend the Christmas holiday at Balmoral, their Scottish castle. The Prime Minister believes that Scottish nationalists are planing to assassinate the Queen and calls on his friend and British spy, French, who invites India to join him undercover at the castle. French poses as one
Bg
Jul 29, 2011 Bg rated it really liked it
Back again from another adventure with my new favorite Madam of Espionage. India Black, a business woman/whore(yup, she's a whore), has been spirited away on another adventure with the handsome and mysterious Mr. French and London's dirtiest orphan Vincent to the Highlands a.k.a Scotland! And this time around instead of looking for evil Russians now they are looking for a Scottish Nationalist with a taste for Royal blood, if you get my drift.

So far I've been enjoying this Madam of Espionage seri
Ladiibbug
Aug 12, 2014 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
#2 Madam of Espionage

Queen Victoria attends a séance to visit with her deceased beloved, Prince Albert. His spirit implores the Queen to spend Christmas at their Scottish home in Balmoral.

India is summoned by the Prime Minister to again go undercover to protect the Queen from a suspected assassination plot. The handsome British Spy, French, is also called to duty at Balmoral.

Instead of operating her high class brothel in London over Christmas, India plays lady's maid to a cantankerous, high mai
Page (One Book At A Time)
Jul 31, 2011 Page (One Book At A Time) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I was more than happy to dive back into the world of India Black. I love her tell it like it is attitude and the fact that her occupation isn't glossed over. She's the madam of a brothel and proud of it. While this book has a slightly different feel to it, I loved it non the less!

The British government must have liked that way India handled the last case, because they've wasted no time in involving her in another one. I think it was expected all around because we open with French schooling India
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 05, 2015 09:53AM
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby, #2)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • Where Shadows Dance (Sebastian St. Cyr, #6)
  • Point of Honour (Sarah Tolerance, #1)
  • A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2)
  • A Corpse in Shining Armour (Liberty Lane, #3)
  • The Turning of Anne Merrick
  • The Paris Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #6)
  • The Glass House (Captain Lacey, #3)
After a career as a lawyer and corporate executive, Carol K. Carr turned to writing. India Black is her first book. She lives in the Missouri Ozarks with her husband and two German Shepherds.
More about Carol K. Carr...

Madam of Espionage (5 books)
  • India Black (Madam of Espionage, #1)
  • India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy (Madam of Espionage Mystery, #3)
  • India Black in the City of Light (Madam of Espionage, #3.5)
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)