Start by marking “Loving Your Child Is Not Enough: Positive Discipline That Works” as Want to Read:
Loving Your Child Is Not Enough: Positive Discipline That Works

Loving Your Child Is Not Enough: Positive Discipline That Works

In this now-classic, straightforward approach to childraising, Nancy Samalin shows parents how to set clear, concise guidelines to ensure positive and constructive discipline. Based on her extensive work with parents and children, she offers the most recent and invaluable advice on:
? Avoiding daily battles
? Using alternatives to punishment
? Dealing with anger
? Learning t
Published April 1st 1998 by Penguin Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Loving Your Child Is Not Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving Your Child Is Not Enough

Kelli
Oct 10, 2010 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be read by every parent. It was only 2 CDs long and full of very helpful, meaningful and applicable positive discipline. The author wrote much of her book based off of Alice Ginnott. If you've read the book by Haim Ginnott, this would probably include a lot of repeats. It has made a positive change in my parenting. I'm glad I read it.
Jani
Feb 20, 2008 Jani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the format of this parenting book. Very readable, non-judging and easy-to-apply concepts.
Rebecca Young
Apr 16, 2011 Rebecca Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good parenting book...now if I could only remember any of the tips in the stress of the moment!

In the introduction, the author sets out the focus of the book: My goal is to help parents become more aware of the way they talk, see the effects of their words and begin to respond in new ways to improve relationships with their children. By communicating in new ways, it is possible to promote cooperation instead of resentment, to express anger without hurting or insulting and to set l
Ellena
Aug 02, 2011 Ellena rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
I thought there were some useful tips within this book for disciplining children. I was raised in a household where I was spanked for bad behavior and the author doesn't condone spanking. Instead it seems as if she feels as if parents should "reason" with a child. Ha! Ha! That might work with some kids but definitely not for others. I was not one of those "reason" with type of children. I don't believe in beating children but children should not be allowed to walk all over parents either and say ...more
Lynde
This is a good book. I would have given it more stars if it were based on original thought or theory. However, about 90% of her ideas are extracted from books authored by faber-mazlich or other "natural consequence" parenting books. I listen to the audiobook in the car sometimes repeatedly as a reminder when I go "off course" and need guidance. It is sort of like a cliffs notes of a number of different authors. I will likely pick up another one of her books. Like i said--good but not stellar. I ...more
Mereke
Sep 18, 2011 Mereke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing on my parenting books kick, this one gives balanced advice with lots of examples that hit home with me. It tries to find midway point between permissiveness and authoritarianism which is very difficult and I appreciated that it acknowledges just how hard it is to always say the right thing and send the right messages to your children. The last 50 pages were kind of repetitive, but otherwise, I think it's a great read.
Abby
May 18, 2010 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the practicality of this book. The layout/style is efficient - in dialogue form - but I found that I had to be in a certain frame of mind to read and truly follow it. Then again, I read the book in less than a week - I couldn't stop because the more I read, the more I felt better about myself as a parent! I am reading the follow up book now... love and anger.
Clacie
Aug 25, 2011 Clacie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, parenting
Really loved this audio. The scenarios are just like they are coming from my house. Great tips and ideas. I will definitely re listen to this again and again.
Andrew
Feb 11, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemed to be very similar to scream free parenting, but there was quite a few examples which arise in our house quite regularly.
Yara
Mar 06, 2016 Yara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, utmost cleverness is to deliver your thoughts in the most simple words. That's what this book has done.
Perfect, concise & precise.
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2008
Lucía
Lucía rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Djschuster
Djschuster rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Lvelez
Lvelez rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Carina
Carina rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Djschuster
Djschuster rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
The Smiths
The Smiths rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Claudia
Claudia rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2008
Ayla
Ayla rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2010
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2010
Madhuri Inuganti
Madhuri Inuganti rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
MaryAnn
MaryAnn rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Sangitha
Sangitha rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Cookie
Cookie rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2010
Brandy
Brandy rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
  • The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting Your High-Need Child From Birth to Age Five
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Raising Confident Girls: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • The No-Cry Potty Training Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers
  • The Secret of Parenting: How to Be in Charge of Today's Kids--from Toddlers to Preteens--Without Threats or Punishment
  • Feeding Baby Green: The Earth Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition During Pregnancy, Childhood, and Beyond
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8 Great Fussy Phases into Magical Leaps Forward
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts Are Bad for Business
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • Raising Children Who Think for Themselves
  • Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3