Start by marking “Trail of Thread: A Woman's Westward Journey (Trail of Thread #1)” as Want to Read:
Trail of Thread: A Woman's Westward Journey (Trail of Thread #1)

Trail of Thread: A Woman's Westward Journey (Trail of Thread #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Subtitle: A Woman's Westward Journey, Historical Letters 1854-1855
Trail of Thread Series, Book 1

Taste the dust of the road and feel the wind in your face as you travel with a Kentucky family by wagon trail to the new territory of Kansas in 1854.

Find out what it was like for the thousands of families who made the cross-country journey into the unknown.

In this first book of
Published February 1st 2011 by Butterfield Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Trail of Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trail of Thread

Becky
Narrative of a pioneer woman's journey west from KY to KS, written in letters to her step mother. Deborah had no say in moving west but she was an obedient wife of the time and when her husband John said get ready, she did. Since I am Midwestern born and raised, the descriptions of the land and rivers as they traveled west were recognizable to me, making the story come to life as I read. But I'm not really sure these were the actual letters written or if they were embellished by the author, they ...more
Arlene
This is a book written in the form of letters from a mother whose life is uprooted when her husband and his brothers decide that Kansas is the promised land. They load belongings on wagons and leave in the spring of 1854 from Kentucky. She shared quilt patterns along the way with other travelers and settlers. Traveling 750 miles in 66 days, they walked the trails and thru various settlements along the way. Imagine crossing all those rivers on unstable rafts and boats. Waiting near Westport landi ...more
Cathy Cole
It is amazing how much detail Hubalek packs in her narrative, and this wealth paints a clear picture of what travel was like at the time. Deborah Pieratt had no voice in the decision to move from Kentucky to Kansas; it was a "done deal" when the menfolk in her family told her what was going to happen. In her letters back home to family members, Deborah tells us how difficult it was to pack the wagons for the journey, how heartbreaking it sometimes was to make one choice after another: should it ...more
Billie
This takes place around 1854....land in Kansas was selling for $1/acre and families were traveling in droves. These are letters written during one family's journey to other family members in Kentucky.

Really had little to do with quilting. In those days the men made the decisions and the wives were to be supportive regardless. In this case the decision was made to leave close and extended family for the journey to Kansas which meant they'd probably never see each other again,

Very interesting to l
Jessica
A book that links genealogy and quilting and historical fiction - that sounds like me kind of book. Linda Hubalek was a horticulturalist before she began writing historical fiction. Her writing reminds me of Anna Lee Waldo, the author of Sacajawea. Waldo was an organic chemist before she started writing. I'll admit that the with both authors the writing is sometimes not quite seamless but both authors bring an astute eye to historical fiction - an eye that captures fun nerdy details like water s ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
A historical fiction type of book set in 1854. The story is told through letters a Mother writes when her life is uprooted, when her Husband and his brothers decide to move to Kansas the promised land. Along the way she shares quilt patterns with other settlers and travelors. It took them 66 days to travel 750 miles. while waiting near Westport landing for her husband to return from a scouting trip to Kansas, she is in a large group of wagons when a cyclone hits. I can imagine how scared she was ...more
Arlene
I love "diary" books. Especially about the women who followed their husbands' dream, and possibly theirs, out West. This book was a wonderful way to appreciate what they went through. Though not as detailed as some I have read, I found this book put into practice on the trail things I had read about before.
Susan
This book, and the others in the series, are based on the author’s ancestors who moved from Kentucky to Kansas in 1854. Told in a series of letters written by Deborah Pieratt as she travels west, we learn of the joys and hardships of travel via wagon train.

This was a great little book about the one family’s adventures as they move west. I really enjoyed all the small things that went into this tale. For instance, as the Pieratts travel, they meet other travelers who share with them tips of the t
Helen
True pioneer accounts are a particular interest of mine. Somehow I just didn't feel connected to the characters in this book. It just didn't feel authentic to me, even though it is based on a real family's migration from Kentucky to Kansas. I did appreciate the research, however.
Jackie
Very interesting. It is not a book you become invested in the characters, however you want to know what happens to these people. Easy read and well worth your time.
Julia A. McDonald
A brave story of American history

since I live in KY this story had special meaning for me. I have always been in awe of those courageous folk who crossed the country in covered wagons, this journal made it very real. The descriptions of the wagons,food ,. weather appeared to be accurate and inspired me even more. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in this chapter of American history. Well told.
Misty
I'm almost done with this book. I checked it out of my quilting guild library, and may not have picked it up otherwise. It's supposed to be about quilting. But the narrator barely mentions quilting. It's a pretty straightforward "this is what pioneer daily life was like" sort of story, told through some letters home.
Reverend Stanleigh Chapin
Very enjoyable

having Great grandparents and grandparents along with other family relatives make similar trips from Pennsylvania and South Carolina to homestead further west in Kansas there were some similarities to stories I heard as a child
Jan Stanton
I really liked this short book. It is a fictional story about the author's great-grandmother's journey from Kentucky to Kansas in the 1800's. I thought it gave a realistic version of times through a woman's eyes. I do plan to read the other two books in the series.
Arleen
This is historical fiction where you admire the characters for their steadfast ways. It is narrated by letters written to family back home in Kentucky as a family moves across five states to the new territory of Kansas. Very informative of a time past!
Pamela
This was a good and quick read. It was written in letter form and portrayed the daily life on the trail. I felt like I was also on the trail with the clear descriptions in the letters. Very good!
Linda Smith
Great read!

Anyone interested in our history would love this book, I've never thought about what our great great grandmothers went through in their lifetimes.
Lori Henrich
The story of Deborah and her family as they travel to Kansas. The story is told strictly through letters that are written on the trail. The story depicted what it was like for those early settlers as they traveled. Depending on the weather the most they would travel could be slightly over 10 miles. It kind of makes me feel bad for complaining when traffic or weather holds me up 15 minutes to go the same distance they would go in one day.

I was interesting to have the story told through letters. N
This was the 1st of three. I really enjoyed it. very easy reading, little excitement. It was my favorite of the three.
Grace
Written in letter form. Simple, interesting and fun. Looking forward to the next two in the series.
Johnna
Wonderful, extremely well written, detailed, emotional, so hard to put down.
Molly
Interesting, but I would have liked a longer book with more details better.
Lori
Excellent story. It made me be more aware of geography of the US.
Clare
Enjoyed it. Not a family death until then end, so that was good.
Byron D. Lunceford
Enjoyed this Pioneer adventure,

I've read many books with this Pioneer theme. I enjoyed this one because the details of food, travel, and hardships were so realistic. Visit the Oregon Trail museum in Baker OR for another realistic view of the 1850's.

Rachel Graves
Not my usual read, but oddly compelling. Finished in one setting, about 2 hours. I’ll be seeking out more, even though there aren’t any vampires, ghosts, or murders. I can’t understand why, but this book captivated me.
Terri
This book is written as letters sent to a Step Mother regarding their journey on the trail. I usually don't like to style. BUT this is an exceptional author with a great style. I really enjoyed this book.
Nina Sala-gault
Enjoyable history lesson

Women were seriously tough in those days.. I am ashamed to say I do not think I could have done it.
mary tietsema
History

Very enlightening trip. Would recommend it. Most people would not be able to endure a trip like this. Shows the love of family.
Martha Mcneely
This was a fantastic book!!!! My second favorite series of historical fiction! I am a self admitted historical fiction hater. I generally don't read them and have very little interest in reading them. However, I have found a few that intrigued me and this is the second series I have fallen in love with. I am starting the second in the series tonight after having read this one last night.

Following Deborah and her family west is/has been a wonderful journey. The book is formatted in letters she w
  • Claimed by the Enemy
  • The 2011 Book Blogger's Cookbook (The Book Blogger's Cookbook)
  • Liverpool Connection
  • Rise to Power (The David Chronicles #1)
  • The Candle Star (Divided Decade Collection, #1)
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)
  • Hetaera--Suspense in Ancient Athens (Agathon's Daughter)
  • Gifts in Jars: Recipes for Easy, Delicious, Inexpensive DIY Gifts in Jars
  • Hot Water
  • The Guardians (The Guardians, #1)
  • Parking Lot Hero (A Powers of Love Story)
  • Crescendo (Inola Walela/Steven Hawk Suspense Series, #3)
  • Valentine Mice!
  • The Game from Where I Stand: A Ballplayer's Inside View
  • Doctor Death
  • Old, New, Red, Blue! (Step into Reading) (Cars movie tie in)
  • Ravaged (The Hunger #3)
  • Bloodline (Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective, #2)
Linda Hubalek grew up on the Kansas prairie, always wanting to be a farmer like her parents and ancestors. After earning a college degree in Agriculture, marriage took Linda away from Kansas as her husband worked in engineering jobs in several states.

Meanwhile, Linda wrote about pioneer women that homesteaded in Kansas between 1854 to the early 1900s, especially her Swedish immigrant ancestors. He
More about Linda K. Hubalek...

Trail of Thread (3 books)
  • Thimble of Soil: A Woman's Quest for Land (Trail of Thread #2)
  • Stitch of Courage: A Woman's Fight for Freedom (Trail of Thread #3)
Butter In The Well: A Scandanavian Woman's Tale Of Life On The Prairie (Butter in the Well #1) Thimble of Soil: A Woman's Quest for Land (Trail of Thread #2) Rania Ropes a Rancher (Brides with Grit  #1) Stitch of Courage: A Woman's Fight for Freedom (Trail of Thread #3) Millie Marries a Marshal (Brides with Grit, #2)

“Wishing you were here to see the trailblazers,” 1 likes