Start by marking “The Oregon Experiment” as Want to Read:
The Oregon Experiment

The Oregon Experiment

3.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  126 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
East Coast transplants to small-town Oregon, Naomi and Scanlon Pratt are at the threshold of a new life. Scanlon has a position at the local university—teaching mass movements and domestic radicalism—and Naomi, a fragrance designer whose sense of smell has inexplicably vanished, is pregnant with their first child.

For Scanlon, all of this is ideal, from impending fatherhood
Published June 14th 2011 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Oregon Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oregon Experiment

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClarePassion by Lauren KateI Am Number Four by Pittacus LoreUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
What will you read this year (2011)
433rd out of 583 books — 421 voters
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessThe Kitchen House by Kathleen GrissomThe Likeness by Tana FrenchThe Forgotten Garden by Kate MortonDaughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt
Turn Of The Century Favorites
98th out of 101 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Margaret Killjoy
Feb 10, 2014 Margaret Killjoy rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading it, and it gave me plenty to think about.

I wrote a longer review of this analyzing the way the author represented (and misrepresented) anarchism here:

Nettle
Interestingly, this book manages to be both unpleasant and gripping. Admittedly, I picked it up because I was homesick for the Pacific Northwest, and the beautifully detailed descriptions of a crunchy central Oregon town were spot-on, and I read the story to the end because observing the slow-motion train wreck of the story was sickly fascinating. Yet...the story also annoyed me. As other reviewers have mentioned, none of the characters are particularly sympathetic, and most of them are downrigh ...more
Liz Simmons
Apr 07, 2015 Liz Simmons rated it really liked it
This was weird. It is set in a fictional town in Oregon and (sort of) explores the Pacific Northwest anarchist subculture. It seems like a thinly disguised portrayal of Eugene, and it kind of annoyed me that he created a fake town name, because he includes so many real details everywhere else. You can tell that Scribner has been around this subculture of people, but it doesn't seem like he has a very nuanced understanding of them.

I also found the character of the professor's wife to be irritatin
Broadsnark
Sep 07, 2015 Broadsnark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book. It could have been a good book.I waited a day to write about it to give myself a chance to decide if I hated it only because of how it portrayed anarchists. But no.

How often do people write fiction about anarchists, environmentalists, academics, and secessionists in the Northwest? Too bad the author had zero interest in the actual beliefs held by the kind of people he was characterizing.

It could have been a meditation on life, government, authority, organizing
Tim Lepczyk
Oct 13, 2011 Tim Lepczyk rated it liked it
Anarchists, secessionists, and floundering academics! Oh my!

Keith Scribner's novel, The Oregon Experiment, follows Scanlon Pratt and his wife, Naomi Greenburg, as they move from New York City to Douglas, Oregon, where Pratt is ready to begin his first tenure-track position in the Political Science Department.

Immediately, tension fills the pages as Naomi tries to cope with the move. She's eight months pregnant, misses New York, and suffers from anosmia. For Naomi, anosmia is crippling, because sh
Krista
Oct 08, 2012 Krista rated it it was ok
This was an enjoyable (and quick) read - after taking a few months to make it through The Brothers K, I finished this in just a few days. The Oregon Experiment was a bizarre but somewhat interesting read. The main characters move to a small town in Oregon for an academic job (we're also just in the middle of an academic move, though not to anywhere that remote), and I did find them compelling and well developed. The way that Scribner wove the sense of smell throughout the story was one of the hi ...more
Brad
Sep 19, 2011 Brad rated it really liked it
Overall, I liked this book pretty well. I read some of the reviews on Goodreads last night as I was almost finished. I can see the point behind point the negative and positive reviews. I tend to agree that the characters aren't particularly likable, but of course that needn't ruin a novel, and frankly I have a hard time imagining that the author would care whether you liked the characters or not. I was struggling to finish this book but another reviewer's remark that the book continued to open u ...more
Andy Miller
Nov 24, 2012 Andy Miller rated it really liked it
A fun and thought provoking novel about a couple who move to a college town in Oregon from the East, he is a newly hired professor and she is pregnant and plans to focus on motherhood until she can resume her career. They soon meet members of the "secessionist" movement and a young anarchist who disdains Scanlon and his professorial research but who develops a crush on Naomi.

When I initially read the reviews and plot summaries I was worried that this book would be a caricature, either a way out
Stacey
Jan 14, 2012 Stacey rated it it was ok
Ended up skimming: mildly amusing, but not enough to engage me. Perhaps if I had tons of time and not much else to read it would be better, though. I can't pinpoint why I wasn't interested except to say that I was not in the mood to read about these characters and their oddities, and of course the entire extreme radical enviro folks, who are basically anal retentive conservatives in disguise, gain no sympathy from me at all. Perhaps my failure to enjoy this book was entirely based on that? I'd s ...more
Jon
Aug 11, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This was a pretty good book. It took a whole slew of things that I not only didn't know much about, but didn't even particularly care about, and turned them handily into downright interesting plot devices.

While I feel like it got a little too hung up on kids and having kids and what having kids means to different people, the less bothersome points made up the difference. And that is probably my own fault anyway: I suppose it isn't the author's fault that I don't care about the minutiae of childr
Doug
Jun 06, 2013 Doug rated it it was ok
Roberta Sallee
Aug 21, 2011 Roberta Sallee rated it did not like it
This took me a relatively long time to get through and I wasn't enjoying it in the duration. No offense to the author. Maybe it was me, or being on vacation, or just not concerned about the main topic...I don't know. I didn't like the characters (and there were too many of them for me to keep track of...not that I made the effort to).It sort of came together at the end (which was my favorite part). There were questions I had about some story references, but to be honest, I didn't care enough abo ...more
Ellen
Sep 27, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it
I struggled to get through this book. About 1/3 through, I was depressed. A crumbling marriage, a job in jeopardy, anarchists running amok.... I questioned my ability to read a book without a guaranteed happy ending. So, for my own sanity (and for this not to be the third book in a row I stopped reading because I was 'sad') I persevered. I finished. I enjoyed the last third immensely. I'm glad I finished this book; the characters are now happily cavorting in my imagination, and all is well with ...more
Potamus Hyper
Aug 29, 2011 Potamus Hyper rated it really liked it
"Fringe" folks interact with mainstream consumer types - I found this novel hilarious! Aren't secessionists underrepresented in literature? Another revolution is at work in the book: paying attention to scents is a way back to nature. So this novel may hurt for some people - since it's like recommitting to your wife's inherent godliness after pimping her for a few decades.

The status quo is destroying civilization more than any anarchist ever could. Viva Ecotopia!
Anastasia
Nov 18, 2011 Anastasia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2011
For a lefty like me, the characters and much of the plot of this story were interesting, but the author wasn't able to make me really believe in it all. It was a slightly too superficial treatment; perhaps it was that Scribner was unable to make me believe in Scanlon's passion for anarchy or radical movements? I'm not sure. Anyway, good story; solid writing; interesting characters . . . it just fell a little short of what it should have been. I give it 3 1/2 stars.
Michael Hanson
Aug 14, 2011 Michael Hanson rated it really liked it
If you could do half stars this would be 4.5. I thought it was a great read. The characters were complex and engaging, the setting fabulous, and the plot about a unique subculture was fascinating. The Oregon Experiment weaves together some of the common stories in the PNW that make this area unique and gives it its character. I wish there were lots more books like it.
Ashley
Dec 17, 2013 Ashley rated it did not like it
I had to read this for a class in approximately a weeks time span. I am usually okay with overly descriptive books, but Scribner has a talent for making the reader uncomfortable and uninterested. I ended up not reading the whole thing, and googled the premise and themes. Maybe I carry the resentment of it being an assigned reading, but this was a rough book.
Lisa Lesyshen
Jul 20, 2011 Lisa Lesyshen rated it it was ok
I am sad that I did not like this book since so many other people liked it including Adam Ross who wrote Mr. Peanut (which I loved). This book has nothing to offer its reader except brief hints of interesting elements. So many incidents in the book are so unbelievable I cannot believe his editor left them in the book. A big disappointment!
Markianne
Jan 23, 2012 Markianne rated it it was ok
It started out really good, then kind of unraveled into messy extramarital affairs, then abruptly dropped off. After developing the characters so well, I felt like the author dropped the story to quickly. It was, however, quite an interesting insight into the crazy minds of PNW secessionists. Sometimes they actually sounded rational.
Amanda
Apr 01, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book more, but the main characters were shallow and self-centered and despite plenty of opportunities they never changed. I suppose that is realistic, but it makes for a disappointing read.
Mitchell
Jul 12, 2011 Mitchell rated it it was ok
An awful book. I picked it up because it was a secessionist tale based in Oregon. But the characters and plot were equally uninteresting to the point of being annoying. No reason to read this book.
Cyndi
Jun 07, 2013 Cyndi rated it liked it
This books was kind of like a train wreck I couldn't stop watching. And it felt like a number of the descriptions and metaphors were overused. It made me wish it would rain.
Kim
Aug 23, 2015 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
American contemp...."Douglas", OR ~2005....new transplants to OR with an anarchist and a secessionist. Book driven by caricatures following a predictable plot.
Jenifer Jacobs
Jan 27, 2012 Jenifer Jacobs rated it did not like it
Too many totally lame "man writing as a woman but these things/thoughts/feelings are impossible and don't happen". Had to give up halfway.
Jul 29, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I'm upping my rating of this book. It gets smarter the longer it sits with me. Definitely high on my Top 10 of 2011 list.
Toni
Nov 06, 2012 Toni rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read in awhile. Amazing character development and such rich language.
Angela Jacobs
Dec 02, 2012 Angela Jacobs rated it liked it

Partly really good and partly WTF. Bought when I was in Oregon.
Tyra
Mar 07, 2012 Tyra rated it it was ok
I found this book to have an interesting premise but it confused me.
Adam Ross
Jun 09, 2011 Adam Ross rated it it was amazing
Never has a nose been given such incredible attention.
Elliot Stoller
Feb 14, 2013 Elliot Stoller rated it liked it
One of my favorite Northwest novels.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Twenty Questions: A Novel
  • The Couple's Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Lovers
  • Loquela
  • Alive in Necropolis
Keith Scribner’s third novel The Oregon Experiment was released by Alfred A. Knopf (Random House) in June 2011. His two previous novels, published by Riverhead Books (Penguin), are The GoodLife and Miracle Girl. The GoodLife appears in translation, was selected for the Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers series, and was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year.

His fiction and nonfiction h
More about Keith Scribner...