Start by marking “Star of Stone” as Want to Read:
Star of Stone

Star of Stone (Century #2)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  665 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
In the second installment of the Century Quartet, Italian author P. D. Baccalario continues the mystery that will take four cities and four extraordinary kids to solve.

NEW YORK CITY, MARCH 15

Another mysterious artifact reunites Harvey from New York, Elettra from Rome, Mistral from Paris, and Sheng from Shanghai. Soon they discover a series of four postcards written in code
Published September 27th 2011 by Random House Children's Books (first published April 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Star of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star of Stone

Anna
Jun 07, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
this book series is claimed to be the "Da Vinci Code for kids". I think I agree with this and I enjoyed their adventure very much. It's in the same style like the 39 clues, though I think riddles are easier to be solved and they come to light due to logical conclusions, not by memorising myths, books and so on.

Four kids are trying to solve the mystery of Century, following every clue they find, not knowing the whole picture yet. The whole city is the map they try reach out where to go and what
Yoel
Dec 27, 2014 Yoel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mytery lovers
Recommended to Yoel by: Bella
In the sequel of Ring of Fire, Pierdomenico Baccalario brings his readers to New York city. The four kids: Elettra, Harvey, Mistral, and Sheng continue their mission to discover the secret of the Century. This book is slightly better than the first one. Baccalario reveals more in this book. Since there are so many uncovered mysteries in the first book, the part when the children discuss about that made me curious and amazed. He is a smart author. He could make riddles and clues that revealed at ...more
Elizabeth
Harvey, Elettra, Mistral, and Sheng from Century 1: The Ring of Fire are reunited, this time in New York, as they work to solve the mystery of the Star of Stone. Harvey and how his family is coping with the loss of his brother, are the focus of this outing. There are new bad guys, more mysterious notes, and cryptic conversations as the kids works towards a solution.

It might be worthwhile to wait until all the books are out before reading any of them as there are a lot of details to remember in t
Min
May 03, 2015 Min rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"What difference does it make which road you follow as you seek the truth? Such a great secret is not to be reached by a single path" Repeated constantly, through the books. Also, smatterings of references to Ulysses Moore, added to the thrill and joy, that these universes are connected, somehow.
Turning slightly more mature with the increase in violence, death, and interaction with adults, also, introduction of infatuation, perhaps increasing the suspense, but it didn't detract too much, so far
Laurel
The Century Quartet: Star of Stone was pretty good. I enjoyed the storyline, the new twists in the plot, and how the author saves some surprises for the reader throughout the whole book. There is going to be a next book though, right? I really want to know what happens to Mistral, Elettra, Sheng, and Harvey!
Amanda
Dec 18, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find it hard to believe that four 13 year olds can solve the clues put forth in the book when I (at 28) have trouble following the logic. But that being said, an enjoyable read.

If this type of book is what interests you, an easier to read and follow alternative would be the 39 clues series.
Casy Lafrau
Mar 08, 2013 Casy Lafrau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing second to the first of the "Century" series. It kept me on my toes the whole time wondering what the clues meant and how high speed chases were going to turn out. As said before just an amazing job on Mr. Baccalario's part just overall a must read for all adventure/mystery lovers!
Danie P.
Nov 08, 2010 Danie P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books, y-a
Second in the Century Quartet series I felt there was much more action and intrigue in this book. The four children meet again in NYC to look for the next clue in understanding how the professor's tops and map work, why they were all chosen and what the Star of Stone is.
Sarah Tilatitsky
Mar 08, 2011 Sarah Tilatitsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty good. I like how the book has a new but similar adventure that seems fresh. It's kinda cool to think that a place like New York City can be used as a place for this book, with pictues that is "evidence." I would read this again. ...more
Ellie
Dec 03, 2011 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very interesting compared to the first book. well they were bothe interesting. The four kids find themselves facing another hard mysteries while getting a bit sidetract. if you like this book i would recomend the uyless moore series by the same author.
Kaylynn
Dec 08, 2010 Kaylynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and how the story sifts itself together It was different following the boy Harvey Miller as the main character, but thoroughly enjoyed the ride and twist of the story. All in all definitely a book I would recommend.
Dagmar
Mar 08, 2015 Dagmar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eigenlijk vond ik dit boek 3,5 sterren, maar dat kan niet, dus heb ik het maar afgerond naar boven :)
Marie
Apr 20, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ready to start reading the third!
Elisa Aloris
Jul 08, 2016 Elisa Aloris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Century Taş Yıldız da dün gece bitti ama şimdi yorumunu giriyorum.

İlk olarak Mahler dokuz canlı resmen 2 kitap oldu 3 kere ölümün ucundan döndü ya.

İkinci olarak Pierdo hala Ulysses Moore ismini geçirtip beni heyecandan öldürüyor.

Üçüncü olarak... Pierdo sanırım bir ilk yaptı. Sen kısada olsa doğru düzgün bir JuRick sahnesi için 6 kitap bekle kısaca öpüşüversinler sonra ayırıp dur onları 6 kitap sonra tam çıkmaya başlasınlar hemen arkasından yine yolları ayrılsın ama gel Century de Elettra ile Har
Joshua
Mar 24, 2015 Joshua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always thought that the only thing sadder than a really bad book is a really bad book with the potential to be a really good book. So it is with Star of Stone, the second book in the incalculably off the wall Century Quartet. There are parts of this book that almost make me weep with their sheer perfection. If only I could say the same for most of the novel. Star of Stone is, with a few extremely notable exceptions, an incoherent, rambling, ridiculous mess.

It’s kind of sad, really, because
Robin
May 21, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Book Two of the Century Quartet, four kids with Leap Day birthdays come together again to solve another puzzle, this time in New York City. Elettra from Rome, Mistral from Paris, Sheng from Shanghai, and Harvey from Manhattan face an evil nightclub owner, five dangerous women, a one-eyed crow flying surveillance for a shadowy group of Native Americans, and a trail of clues seemingly left behind by a man who lived over 100 years without growing old. Their friend Ermete, master of disguise, com ...more
Katrina
Dec 15, 2010 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Series
An intriguing mystery of four 12 year olds (two boys, two girls) thrown together with peculiar similarities and strengths. I really liked how this story follows the protagonist kids AND the antagonists out to get them. The story is gripping, original and very clever, with unforeseen twists and turns that keep you on your toes. Baccalario did a good job keeping the solutions to clues just hard enough that you can't guess that answers right away but not so hard that you couldn't figure them out
wi
Bookworm42
Sep 19, 2013 Bookworm42 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone
It was an amazing sequel! Pierdomenico has done it again. He not only managed to develop a successful attraction between two of the characters but he also developed the plot and the powers of one of the main characters fantastically, expertly weaving it all in to form this amazing, one of a kind story. It is even better that in the center of all his books you will find a series of pages that contain any evidence, maps, or pictures of the real life objects that the characters find and use along t ...more
Mary
Feb 15, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, childrens
I deliberately read the second book of this series first, to see if they have to be read in order. This book unfortunately doesn't stand up well alone. Perhaps the characters were well developed in the first book, so didn't need as much character development here, but I really didn't care what happened to them. In fact, I found it hard to remember if they were boys or girls (except for Harvey)! As for the mystery, there is no chance the reader can solve it without going to New York City. So that ...more
Tanja
Oct 26, 2013 Tanja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chn-mystery
The four friends back together, this time searching around New York City to find more clues to add to the puzzle. They are more in danger than ever before but little by little they discover things about themselves they didn't think possible. After the second book, I am still totally hooked by this series and will get into book 3 the moment I have finished writing this review. I still don't see where all this is leading, even though I am beginning to understand a few things better - and I am lovi ...more
Sarena
Jun 07, 2011 Sarena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Although the writing style is a bit simple, Baccalario does a great job of showing the story through both the kids' eyes and the villains' eyes. The mystery is intricately crafted although I doubt readers could actually piece together the clues unless they're extremely good at solving puzzles. The plotline is fairly interesting, but it's still too early on in the developmental stage for people to really guess anything about it; the advantage for this is that the twists are completely out-of-the ...more
Kerri
Jan 08, 2012 Kerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great sequel to The Ring of Fire! Just got the third book, and I'm already having fun with the mystery. This is the perfect series for kids who like to follow clues and figure out the whole mystery! Reminds me of 39 Clues and National Treasure. Lots of fun!
Monique
Part two in the Century series and just a good as the first one. This time the story takes place in New York. After reading the first book, I had no other choice then also read this one and again I loved it. The story is very good written, with again lots of knowledge, twists and turns and a lot of excitement. In the end everything fits together like a puzzle. Brilliant!
Lonnie
Mar 19, 2011 Lonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, sci-fi-fantasy
I finally finished listening to this on Friday. Of course, I love the characters (especially Harvey and Chan) and I loved the setting (New York City). The storyline, however, didn't grab my attention like the first book did, it seemed to be lacking the excitement and tension I felt when the kids were in Rome in the first book. Next, they're off to Paris!
Sara Williams
Star of Stone makes me SO angry because I feel the story style repeating itself over and over. I love all characters in the Century series, but it makes me angry, them being a quartet, having some to be more developed than others.
A good mystery... Much like the first one. Not sure if I'm willing to go on into the series though.
Paige Hammer
Characters were a little too young for the plot they were performing, but otherwise interesting book with surprising twists.
Mary Ann
The 4 children, all born on Feb. 29th, are back together, but in New York City. Their current adventure takes them to historical places throughout the city and allows the reader who has not been there to gain some historical knowledge.
April
listening on CD
Interesting. The earth is in peril and a new quartet of children are learning that they have a role to save the earth from disaster by comet - I think. The whole storyline is still unfolding.
Samantha
Sep 22, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series, each installment is interesting and takes you to a new part of the world. The four main characters are a good mixture of power, mystery, romance, fun, and excitement.
Rachel
Jan 27, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More predictable than the last one. I have a really hard time believing that the main characters are 12. They should be much older, like mid- to late-teens. I'm in love with Ermete though!
What will happen?...... 1 4 Nov 01, 2011 05:59AM
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • The Elephant's Tale (Animal Healer, #4)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • The Last Musketeer (The Last Musketeer, #1)
  • Walls Within Walls
  • Upside-Down Magic (Upside-Down Magic, #1)
  • The Eternal Hourglass (Magickeepers, #1)
  • Lucky Strike
  • Slacker
  • The Secret Cellar (The Red Blazer Girls, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher (Sammy Keyes, #13)
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • The Bag of Bones (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #2)
  • Power Of Un
  • The Ugly Princess and the Wise Fool
  • The Cup and the Crown (Silver Bowl, #2)
  • Beneath
  • Wildfire Run
P. D. BACCALARIO was born in Acqui Terme, a beautiful little town in the Piedmont region of Northern Italy. He grew up in the middle of the woods with his three dogs and his black bicycle. He loves seeing new places and discovering new lifestyles, although, in the end, he always returns to the comfort of familiar ones.
More about Pierdomenico Baccalario...

Century (4 books)
  • Ring of Fire (Century, #1)
  • City of Wind