Star of Stone

Star of Stone (Century #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  40 reviews
In the second installment of the Century Quartet, Italian author P. D. Baccalario continues the mystery that will take four cities and four extraordinary kids to solve.

NEW YORK CITY, MARCH 15

Another mysterious artifact reunites Harvey from New York, Elettra from Rome, Mistral from Paris, and Sheng from Shanghai. Soon they discover a series of four postcards written in code...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Random House Children's Books (first published April 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Star of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star of Stone

Yoel
Jun 11, 2012 Yoel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mytery lovers
Recommended to Yoel by: Bella
In the sequel of Ring of Fire, Pierdomenico Baccalario brings the reader to New York city. The four kids: Elettra, Harvey, Mistral, and Sheng continued their mission to discover the secret of the Century. Okay, let me say that this book is better than the first one. Well, a little bit better. Baccalario reveals more in this book. Since there are so many uncovered mysteries in the first book, the part when the children discuss about that made me curious. And amazed too. He is a smart author. He c...more
Elizabeth
Harvey, Elettra, Mistral, and Sheng from Century 1: The Ring of Fire are reunited, this time in New York, as they work to solve the mystery of the Star of Stone. Harvey and how his family is coping with the loss of his brother, are the focus of this outing. There are new bad guys, more mysterious notes, and cryptic conversations as the kids works towards a solution.

It might be worthwhile to wait until all the books are out before reading any of them as there are a lot of details to remember in t...more
Robin
In Book Two of the Century Quartet, four kids with Leap Day birthdays come together again to solve another puzzle, this time in New York City. Elettra from Rome, Mistral from Paris, Sheng from Shanghai, and Harvey from Manhattan face an evil nightclub owner, five dangerous women, a one-eyed crow flying surveillance for a shadowy group of Native Americans, and a trail of clues seemingly left behind by a man who lived over 100 years without growing old. Their friend Ermete, master of disguise, com...more
Katrina
Dec 15, 2010 Katrina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Series
An intriguing mystery of four 12 year olds (two boys, two girls) thrown together with peculiar similarities and strengths. I really liked how this story follows the protagonist kids AND the antagonists out to get them. The story is gripping, original and very clever, with unforeseen twists and turns that keep you on your toes. Baccalario did a good job keeping the solutions to clues just hard enough that you can't guess that answers right away but not so hard that you couldn't figure them out
wi...more
Sara Williams
Star of Stone makes me SO angry because I feel the story style repeating itself over and over. I love all characters in the Century series, but it makes me angry, them being a quartet, having some to be more developed than others.
A good mystery... Much like the first one. Not sure if I'm willing to go on into the series though.
Bookworm42
Sep 19, 2013 Bookworm42 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone
It was an amazing sequel! Pierdomenico has done it again. He not only managed to develop a successful attraction between two of the characters but he also developed the plot and the powers of one of the main characters fantastically, expertly weaving it all in to form this amazing, one of a kind story. It is even better that in the center of all his books you will find a series of pages that contain any evidence, maps, or pictures of the real life objects that the characters find and use along t...more
Samantha
I really like this series, each installment is interesting and takes you to a new part of the world. The four main characters are a good mixture of power, mystery, romance, fun, and excitement.
Mary
I deliberately read the second book of this series first, to see if they have to be read in order. This book unfortunately doesn't stand up well alone. Perhaps the characters were well developed in the first book, so didn't need as much character development here, but I really didn't care what happened to them. In fact, I found it hard to remember if they were boys or girls (except for Harvey)! As for the mystery, there is no chance the reader can solve it without going to New York City. So that...more
Tanja
The four friends back together, this time searching around New York City to find more clues to add to the puzzle. They are more in danger than ever before but little by little they discover things about themselves they didn't think possible. After the second book, I am still totally hooked by this series and will get into book 3 the moment I have finished writing this review. I still don't see where all this is leading, even though I am beginning to understand a few things better - and I am lovi...more
Sarena
Although the writing style is a bit simple, Baccalario does a great job of showing the story through both the kids' eyes and the villains' eyes. The mystery is intricately crafted although I doubt readers could actually piece together the clues unless they're extremely good at solving puzzles. The plotline is fairly interesting, but it's still too early on in the developmental stage for people to really guess anything about it; the advantage for this is that the twists are completely out-of-the...more
Linda Inês
Gostei do rumo que a história levou e foi uma leitura fácil e que me manteve interessada.
Kerri
Great sequel to The Ring of Fire! Just got the third book, and I'm already having fun with the mystery. This is the perfect series for kids who like to follow clues and figure out the whole mystery! Reminds me of 39 Clues and National Treasure. Lots of fun!
Monique
Part two in the Century series and just a good as the first one. This time the story takes place in New York. After reading the first book, I had no other choice then also read this one and again I loved it. The story is very good written, with again lots of knowledge, twists and turns and a lot of excitement. In the end everything fits together like a puzzle. Brilliant!
Lonnie
I finally finished listening to this on Friday. Of course, I love the characters (especially Harvey and Chan) and I loved the setting (New York City). The storyline, however, didn't grab my attention like the first book did, it seemed to be lacking the excitement and tension I felt when the kids were in Rome in the first book. Next, they're off to Paris!
Laurel
The Century Quartet: Star of Stone was pretty good. I enjoyed the storyline, the new twists in the plot, and how the author saves some surprises for the reader throughout the whole book. There is going to be a next book though, right? I really want to know what happens to Mistral, Elettra, Sheng, and Harvey!
Amanda
I find it hard to believe that four 13 year olds can solve the clues put forth in the book when I (at 28) have trouble following the logic. But that being said, an enjoyable read.

If this type of book is what interests you, an easier to read and follow alternative would be the 39 clues series.
Casy Lafrau
An amazing second to the first of the "Century" series. It kept me on my toes the whole time wondering what the clues meant and how high speed chases were going to turn out. As said before just an amazing job on Mr. Baccalario's part just overall a must read for all adventure/mystery lovers!
Danie P.
Second in the Century Quartet series I felt there was much more action and intrigue in this book. The four children meet again in NYC to look for the next clue in understanding how the professor's tops and map work, why they were all chosen and what the Star of Stone is.
Sarah Tilatitsky
This book is pretty good. I like how the book has a new but similar adventure that seems fresh. It's kinda cool to think that a place like New York City can be used as a place for this book, with pictues that is "evidence." I would read this again. ☺
Ellie
It was very interesting compared to the first book. well they were bothe interesting. The four kids find themselves facing another hard mysteries while getting a bit sidetract. if you like this book i would recomend the uyless moore series by the same author.
Kaylynn
I really liked this book and how the story sifts itself together It was different following the boy Harvey Miller as the main character, but thoroughly enjoyed the ride and twist of the story. All in all definitely a book I would recommend.
Mary Ann
The 4 children, all born on Feb. 29th, are back together, but in New York City. Their current adventure takes them to historical places throughout the city and allows the reader who has not been there to gain some historical knowledge.
April
listening on CD
Interesting. The earth is in peril and a new quartet of children are learning that they have a role to save the earth from disaster by comet - I think. The whole storyline is still unfolding.
Rachel
More predictable than the last one. I have a really hard time believing that the main characters are 12. They should be much older, like mid- to late-teens. I'm in love with Ermete though!
Carolina
Excellent mystery, love the history. The reason I give it four stars was because it lacked God to the nth-degree. In fact, if you the words a bit, the book it perfect :)
Amy Whitney
The kids loved this book, loved the characters, loved the plot, and the outcome. Independent readers need to be about a 4th grade level.
Christi
4 kids are on a race to solve age old mysteries to save the world. This the second book in the Century series is set in New York city.
Nicole
Greek mythology, together with mother nature religion, occult symbolism/practices, some world history/geography plus some good writing.
Lydzi
La qualité commence à dégringoler. Espérons du mieux pour le troisième volet se passant à Paris, la ville du Vent.
Solomon
this book reminded me of chasing vermere for the reason that it uses the same mysterious elements.
What will happen?...... 1 4 Nov 01, 2011 05:59AM
  • The Elephant's Tale (Animal Healer, #4)
  • Walls Within Walls
  • The Last Musketeer (The Last Musketeer, #1)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • Beswitched
  • The Bag of Bones (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • The End of the World Club (Jaguar Stones, #2)
  • Viral
  • The Runaway Dragon
  • Small Acts of Amazing Courage
  • Power Of Un
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher (Sammy Keyes, #13)
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Ugly Princess and the Wise Fool
  • La ragazza drago III: La clessidra di Aldibah (La ragazza drago, #3)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
P. D. BACCALARIO was born in Acqui Terme, a beautiful little town in the Piedmont region of Northern Italy. He grew up in the middle of the woods with his three dogs and his black bicycle. He loves seeing new places and discovering new lifestyles, although, in the end, he always returns to the comfort of familiar ones.
More about Pierdomenico Baccalario...
The Door To Time (Ulysses Moore, #1) The Long-Lost Map Ring of Fire (Century, #1) The House Of Mirrors The Isle Of Masks