Start by marking “The Very Best of O. Henry” as Want to Read:
The Very Best of O. Henry

The Very Best of O. Henry

This volume contains twenty of O. Henry's finest short stories, including "The Gift of the Magi," "The Ransom of Red Chief," and "The Making of a New Yorker."

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published December 27th 2010 by Tantor Media, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Very Best of O. Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Best of O. Henry

Frederick
Jan 29, 2013 Frederick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories, henry-o
This audiobook of stories by O. Henry was narrated by a dynamic voice-actor, Peter Berkrot. Because he gives voice to O. Henry's humor, a lot of the prose, which, if simply read silently off the printed page, would seem a bit mechanical, pours forth harmoniously.
I have kept O. Henry at arm's length ever since childhood, when my aunt gave me a book of his stories. But, I was at the library last week and thought I'd borrow an audiobook, as is my wont. I saw this and gave it a try.
There are greate
Yevgeniy Brikman
O. Henry stories are the literary equivalent of the one-liner joke. Short, witty, memorable, and with a clever twist at the end. This collection of O. Henry stories reminded me a little bit of a Mitch Hedberg stand-up routine. About half the stories are joy to read with a surprise ending that will put a smile on your face. The other half are predictable and immediately forgettable. Overall, it's a set of charming, but unremarkable tales that are good enough for a quick read.
Ashley Coberly
I listened to this and probably should have read it. I enjoyed his clever witty stories and may check out one to read.
Patrick
Feb 08, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tommy Tucker's mother, The Cisco Kid, O. Henry wrote great short stories and some of his characters made their way into the culture without due credit. Oh well!

Amazon Review:
O. Henry, the pseudonym of the American writer William Sydney Porter (1862-1910), is best known for writing stories full of wit, wordplay, and warm characterizations, and particularly for their clever twist endings. This volume contains 20 of O. Henry's best and best-loved stories. They are marked by coincidence and surprise
Melissa
I'm marking the audio version a DNF because of the four stories I listened to, only "Gift of the Magi" held my interest. The others reminded me of Hemingway's style, which holds little appeal. Although the audio version wasn't for me, I'll try O.Henry's stories again in print.
Amy
Sep 17, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forced Sara to listen to most of this on our recent drive to the coast. I'm not sure she loved O. Henry as much as I do but it was great fun to revisit my favorites: the Last Leaf, A Retrieved Reformation and Springtime a la Carte. Some of the CDs were damaged so we missed the Gift of the Magi.
Josef
Jan 03, 2014 Josef rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though his stories were ground-breaking for characters and plot twists, going through the entire volume as a 21st century reader, I feel I should get hazard pay.
Dennis Zachman
Dennis Zachman rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Signe Grinberga
Signe Grinberga rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
May 11, 2013
Nenya
Nenya rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
New World Publishers, LLC
New World Publishers, LLC rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
Questioner
Questioner rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Neha
Neha rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Betsy Phelan
Betsy Phelan rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2016
Jeannette
Jeannette rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Vicky
Vicky rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2011
Peter
Peter rated it it was ok
May 05, 2012
Cristan
Cristan rated it liked it
May 04, 2017
Kenda Rye
Kenda Rye rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Darren
Darren rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2015
Judi Griffin
Judi Griffin rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Alec Longstreth
Alec Longstreth rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Alyson
Alyson rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2011
Sergei
Sergei is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2013
John Mcgillivray
John Mcgillivray marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Viannz
Viannz marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Ede
Ede marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Anushka
Anushka marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Naman
Naman marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Ede
Ede marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in his uncle's d
More about O. Henry...