Start by marking “The Very Best of O. Henry” as Want to Read:
The Very Best of O. Henry
Preview

The Very Best of O. Henry

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  4 reviews

This volume contains twenty of O. Henry's finest short stories, including "The Gift of the Magi," "The Ransom of Red Chief," and "The Making of a New Yorker."

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published December 27th 2010 by Tantor Media, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Very Best of O. Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Best of O. Henry

Frederick
This audiobook of stories by O. Henry was narrated by a dynamic voice-actor, Peter Berkrot. Because he gives voice to O. Henry's humor, a lot of the prose, which, if simply read silently off the printed page, would seem a bit mechanical, pours forth harmoniously.
I have kept O. Henry at arm's length ever since childhood, when my aunt gave me a book of his stories. But, I was at the library last week and thought I'd borrow an audiobook, as is my wont. I saw this and gave it a try.
There are greate
Patrick
Tommy Tucker's mother, The Cisco Kid, O. Henry wrote great short stories and some of his characters made their way into the culture without due credit. Oh well!

Amazon Review:
O. Henry, the pseudonym of the American writer William Sydney Porter (1862-1910), is best known for writing stories full of wit, wordplay, and warm characterizations, and particularly for their clever twist endings. This volume contains 20 of O. Henry's best and best-loved stories. They are marked by coincidence and surprise
Josef
Though his stories were ground-breaking for characters and plot twists, going through the entire volume as a 21st century reader, I feel I should get hazard pay.
Amy
I forced Sara to listen to most of this on our recent drive to the coast. I'm not sure she loved O. Henry as much as I do but it was great fun to revisit my favorites: the Last Leaf, A Retrieved Reformation and Springtime a la Carte. Some of the CDs were damaged so we missed the Gift of the Magi.
Anushka
Anushka marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Ede
Ede marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Ede
Ede marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Viannz
Viannz marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2013
John Mcgillivray
John Mcgillivray marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Sergei
Sergei is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2013
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2011
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs
More about O. Henry...
The Gift of the Magi Selected Stories The Ransom of Red Chief The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories The Best Short Stories of O. Henry