Start by marking “Salad as a Meal: Healthy Main-Dish Salads for Every Season” as Want to Read:
Salad as a Meal: Healthy Main-Dish Salads for Every Season

Salad as a Meal: Healthy Main-Dish Salads for Every Season

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Culinary legend Patricia Wells is back with the definitive guide to creating delicious and hearty salads for any occasion—including more than 150 recipes and gorgeous color photographs.

It's a simple yet compelling concept: enjoying a light and delicious main-course salad as a healthy, fresh alternative to more conventional and traditional fare. You can experience a whole w
Published April 12th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Salad as a Meal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salad as a Meal

Kathryn
As I have been perusing this book over the last week or two, I have found myself picking up ingredients at the supermarket which I would normally avoid. I may not have purchased anything highly unusual as of yet but this book has given me some wonderful ideas and provided inspiration for what I already regularly buy.

I love the idea of salads as the center of a meal. My family does not. I would appreciate a cookbook that provides recipes for people, particularly kids, who do not look forward to s
Maze Branch Oak Park Public Library
Each month we'll ask you to make two recipes from a designated cookbook: we'll choose the first recipe and ask you to make it at home; you choose the second and bring it to our discussion to share.We'll meet to discuss both recipes and to sample the one you chose. We'll have a potluck of tasty treats! This month's selection is Salad as a Meal by Patricia Wells, and our recipe choice is Cantaloupe, Tomato, Goat Cheese, Cucumber and Onion Salad. Copies of the book are available at Maze.
When:
Sunday
Suzanne Barrett
In Salad as a Meal, Patricia Wells’ twelfth book, she claims her inspiration for it was a bold statement at the top of the menu at Brasserie Lipp on Paris’s Left Bank: NO SALAD AS A MEAL. Presumably, this was to discourage female guests to refrain from ordering a simple salad instead of a more elaborate (and pricey!) entree. However, Wells firmly believes in salad as a meal, especially salads with a bit of protein (think Thai Beef or Rainbow Trout Salad with Sturgeon Roe).

Her 360-page book offer
Jennifer Rinehart
"I could live on raw fish." If you agree with this statement, then you might really like this cook book by renowned foodie, cooking instructor and gardening enthusiast Patricia Wells. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of raw scallops and the like. I picked this book based purely on the title; Salad as a Meal. I love salads and I love making them the main dish of a meal, sounds like perfection, right?

Sadly, this book is not for me.

Here's what I liked about it;

1..Excellent and inventive recipe for crou
Tracy
Not for everyone, but if you are:
*someone with an adventurous palate;
*who loves to spend lots of time in the kitchen; and
*you're looking for healthy main-dish salads,

then I predict you will really like this book.

Salad as a Meal met all my requirements for a fine cookbook:

1. It must be written by a terrific cook with a passion for high-quality ingredients;
2. And the author must possess enough poetic skill to transport me into a food reverie, and that requires more than just good recipes;
3. Mouth
Crystal
This isn't a bad cookbook. A bit on the exotic side, with some rather obscure ingredients (plump, moist vanilla beans? pistachio oil?). Seemed very European to me. Most of the dishes that sounded really delicious had dairy in them, in difficult-to-replace roles. So I wouldn't recommend this for anyone trying to eat vegan. Vegetarian would probably be OK, though. And possibly gluten-free omnivore.
There were a few recipes even I found suitable that sounded tasty. I look forward to trying soccas (
Lin
May 06, 2014 Lin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Snobs
Shelves: non-fiction
I was thrilled to get this book but disappointed by the author's pretentiousness and overly complicated recipes. If you are a snob, looking to impress your luncheon ladies, this is the book for you!
James Eckman
Jul 09, 2014 James Eckman rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard core foodies for the pantry and gadget list
Despite the title it's really not a conventional salad book. Has a few interesting recipes for those of us cutting back on meat but not many and the recipes do not include nutritional data. It has a great pantry and kitchen gadget list though, I gave it a point for those.
Hope
Not really about salads, despite the title--lots of recipes for soups and other things that go well with salad, according to the author.
Kathy
I am a huge lover of cookbooks but I did not find a lot to rave about in this cookbook. There are some lovely photographs but not a lot of photographs of the prepared food. I found the recipes are quite modern and trendy, they just did not have a lot of appeal for me. I think this would be a good cookbook for those who tend to follow a vegetarian lifestyle.
Erin
A nice cookbook to look through but not one to buy. I have to say the whole chapter on soup (because soup is like liquid salad) was odd. Soup is not salad, the chapter was just filler for the book. Also, some of the ingredients are a bit odd which is okay but not what I was hoping to find in this book.
Amy
An interesting recipe book -- this is definitely not your grandmother's or even your mother's "salad" book. This is the deluxe salad book! I would never attempt some of these recipes because they are just too difficult.

Also, a major downside for this book is that there are no pictures for most recipes.
LemontreeLime
Drat. I'm going to have to buy this one. Borrowed it from the library hoping there would only be one or two good ideas to try... alas no such luck. Almost all the recipes look fantastic and there are more ideas than i have kitchen to attempt. Kudos to Wells, good work lady, and darn you.
Scottsdale Public Library
An entertaining, attractive and healthy book, this was an enjoyable read. The recipes are varied, although a number of them do call for ingredients that are somewhat obscure and/or pricey in the United States. A fun take on healthy food.-- Meagan
FreeMrBates
I like the idea of salad as a meal and how she added bread recipes to compliment some of her salad recipes. I can't wait to try my hand at some of the recipes, especially the seafood section.
Lisa
Good short read, lots of great recipes and tips on buying the healthiest produce. Can't wait to try some of the dressing recipes!
Matthew
She seriously had to be on something when she wrote this. By far one of the most bizzare cookbooks I've read.
Anna
The recipes here look so good I wanted to eat the pages.
Shaun
Super and new ideas for salads year-round.
Terri Jacobson
Average recipes and photos.
Laura M.
Oct 18, 2012 Laura M. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Anthony T.
C
C added it
Aug 27, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
James K Baker
James K Baker marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
HowdyDave
HowdyDave marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
  • Herbivoracious: A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Food of Spain
  • Everyday Food: Light: The Quickest and Easiest Recipes, All Under 500 Calories
  • How to Cook Indian: More Than 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • One Good Dish
  • The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook
  • Try This at Home: Recipes from My Head to Your Plate
  • One Bowl Baking: Simple, From Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts
  • The Working Class Foodies Cookbook: 100 Delicious Seasonal and Organic Recipes for Under $8 per Person
  • Lidia's Italy in America
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure
Patricia Wells (born 5 November 1946 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is a cookbook author and teacher who divides her time between Paris and Provence. Her book Patricia Wells at Home in Provence (1996) won the James Beard Award for Best International Cookbook. Wells is the only American and the only woman to be a restaurant critic for a major French publication, L'Express (1988–1991). She was also a rest ...more
More about Patricia Wells...
Bistro Cooking The Paris Cookbook The Provence Cookbook We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France Vegetable Harvest: Vegetables at the Center of the Plate