Start by marking “Salad as a Meal: Healthy Main-Dish Salads for Every Season” as Want to Read:
Salad as a Meal: Healthy Main-Dish Salads for Every Season

Salad as a Meal: Healthy Main-Dish Salads for Every Season

Patricia Wells, the grande dame of modern French cooking, is back with Salad as a Meal, featuring original recipes for turning nature’s freshest ingredients into delicious, satisfying repasts. With more than 150 recipes and glorious photos throughout, Salad as a Meal explores a culinary concept at once simple, elegant, and creative—no less than you would expect from the re ...more
Published April 12th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Salad as a Meal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salad as a Meal

Kathryn
As I have been perusing this book over the last week or two, I have found myself picking up ingredients at the supermarket which I would normally avoid. I may not have purchased anything highly unusual as of yet but this book has given me some wonderful ideas and provided inspiration for what I already regularly buy.

I love the idea of salads as the center of a meal. My family does not. I would appreciate a cookbook that provides recipes for people, particularly kids, who do not look forward to s
Jennifer Rinehart
Mar 29, 2011 Jennifer Rinehart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"I could live on raw fish." If you agree with this statement, then you might really like this cook book by renowned foodie, cooking instructor and gardening enthusiast Patricia Wells. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of raw scallops and the like. I picked this book based purely on the title; Salad as a Meal. I love salads and I love making them the main dish of a meal, sounds like perfection, right?

Sadly, this book is not for me.

Here's what I liked about it;

1..Excellent and inventive recipe for crou
Suzanne Barrett
Apr 14, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Salad as a Meal, Patricia Wells’ twelfth book, she claims her inspiration for it was a bold statement at the top of the menu at Brasserie Lipp on Paris’s Left Bank: NO SALAD AS A MEAL. Presumably, this was to discourage female guests to refrain from ordering a simple salad instead of a more elaborate (and pricey!) entree. However, Wells firmly believes in salad as a meal, especially salads with a bit of protein (think Thai Beef or Rainbow Trout Salad with Sturgeon Roe).

Her 360-page book offer
Maze Branch Oak Park Public Library
Each month we'll ask you to make two recipes from a designated cookbook: we'll choose the first recipe and ask you to make it at home; you choose the second and bring it to our discussion to share.We'll meet to discuss both recipes and to sample the one you chose. We'll have a potluck of tasty treats! This month's selection is Salad as a Meal by Patricia Wells, and our recipe choice is Cantaloupe, Tomato, Goat Cheese, Cucumber and Onion Salad. Copies of the book are available at Maze.
When:
Sunday
Tracy
Dec 26, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Not for everyone, but if you are:
*someone with an adventurous palate;
*who loves to spend lots of time in the kitchen; and
*you're looking for healthy main-dish salads,

then I predict you will really like this book.

Salad as a Meal met all my requirements for a fine cookbook:

1. It must be written by a terrific cook with a passion for high-quality ingredients;
2. And the author must possess enough poetic skill to transport me into a food reverie, and that requires more than just good recipes;
3. Mouth
Crystal
May 08, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This isn't a bad cookbook. A bit on the exotic side, with some rather obscure ingredients (plump, moist vanilla beans? pistachio oil?). Seemed very European to me. Most of the dishes that sounded really delicious had dairy in them, in difficult-to-replace roles. So I wouldn't recommend this for anyone trying to eat vegan. Vegetarian would probably be OK, though. And possibly gluten-free omnivore.
There were a few recipes even I found suitable that sounded tasty. I look forward to trying soccas (
Dec 03, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
There are some enjoyable things in this cookbook (and I haven't made anything out of it yet), but overall it's a disappointment. About half the book is related to recipes that aren't salads (soups, accompaniments, dressings). Many of the dishes aren't really focused on being filling (which I would like given the title) - many cold soups or salads meant to be served with something else. The recipes are generally fairly simple, but there isn't much innovation or excitement. Most are a take off of ...more
Megan
Aug 19, 2015 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
most of the recipes seemed to be on the easier/less ingredient intensive side, which is good as i get out of summer mode. have bookmarked the egg crepes with mushrooms and spinach, spicy asian squid salad, and provence on a plate; will see how it goes.

observations:
uh most of the things here aren't salads... that's fine but isn't it salads as a meal?
some weird things- mustard sorbet, jellied chicken salad.
mostly thai, viet, american and french influences.
Amy
Dec 17, 2010 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, food
An interesting recipe book -- this is definitely not your grandmother's or even your mother's "salad" book. This is the deluxe salad book! I would never attempt some of these recipes because they are just too difficult.

Also, a major downside for this book is that there are no pictures for most recipes.
Kathy
May 11, 2011 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge lover of cookbooks but I did not find a lot to rave about in this cookbook. There are some lovely photographs but not a lot of photographs of the prepared food. I found the recipes are quite modern and trendy, they just did not have a lot of appeal for me. I think this would be a good cookbook for those who tend to follow a vegetarian lifestyle.
Erin
Oct 11, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
A nice cookbook to look through but not one to buy. I have to say the whole chapter on soup (because soup is like liquid salad) was odd. Soup is not salad, the chapter was just filler for the book. Also, some of the ingredients are a bit odd which is okay but not what I was hoping to find in this book.
Lin
May 06, 2014 Lin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Snobs
Shelves: non-fiction
I was thrilled to get this book but disappointed by the author's pretentiousness and overly complicated recipes. If you are a snob, looking to impress your luncheon ladies, this is the book for you!
Gina  Clabo
Jan 07, 2017 Gina Clabo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great recipe book...there are somethings that are going to be hard to get because it all come out of gardens everthing is fresh...overall love this one..Recommend to all who want to eat healthier...pictures are beautiful too....Gina Clabo
James Eckman
Jun 26, 2014 James Eckman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard core foodies for the pantry and gadget list
Despite the title it's really not a conventional salad book. Has a few interesting recipes for those of us cutting back on meat but not many and the recipes do not include nutritional data. It has a great pantry and kitchen gadget list though, I gave it a point for those.
LemontreeLime
Drat. I'm going to have to buy this one. Borrowed it from the library hoping there would only be one or two good ideas to try... alas no such luck. Almost all the recipes look fantastic and there are more ideas than i have kitchen to attempt. Kudos to Wells, good work lady, and darn you.
Scottsdale Public Library
An entertaining, attractive and healthy book, this was an enjoyable read. The recipes are varied, although a number of them do call for ingredients that are somewhat obscure and/or pricey in the United States. A fun take on healthy food.-- Meagan
Anna
Jan 22, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
The recipes here look so good I wanted to eat the pages.
Terri Jacobson
Dec 01, 2012 Terri Jacobson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Average recipes and photos.
FreeMrBates
Aug 18, 2011 FreeMrBates rated it really liked it
I like the idea of salad as a meal and how she added bread recipes to compliment some of her salad recipes. I can't wait to try my hand at some of the recipes, especially the seafood section.
Katy
Sep 05, 2016 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, food, 2016
Cook book club - my new fave recipe for quinoa is in here. The rest of the recipes were ok, not mind blowing.
Kelley
Feb 16, 2011 Kelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
A few good ones...
Jack
Dec 19, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent
Jeanine
Certainly worth a look through but I felt it was more of a book to check out occasionally from the library during the summer. Not enough here that interested me to make it worth a purchase.
Lisa
Jul 02, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Good short read, lots of great recipes and tips on buying the healthiest produce. Can't wait to try some of the dressing recipes!
Matthew
Sep 07, 2013 Matthew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
She seriously had to be on something when she wrote this. By far one of the most bizzare cookbooks I've read.
Shaun
May 25, 2011 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty-cookery
Super and new ideas for salads year-round.
Laura M.
Oct 18, 2012 Laura M. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Anthony T.
Hope
Aug 26, 2014 Hope rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really about salads, despite the title--lots of recipes for soups and other things that go well with salad, according to the author.
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Herbivoracious: A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • How to Cook Indian: More Than 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • One Good Dish
  • Everyday Food: Light: The Quickest and Easiest Recipes, All Under 500 Calories
  • India: The Cookbook
  • True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure
  • The Gourmet Cookie Book: The Single Best Recipe from Each Year 1941-2009
  • The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner
  • The Food of Spain
  • Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
  • The Working Class Foodies Cookbook: 100 Delicious Seasonal and Organic Recipes for Under $8 per Person
  • The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook
  • Try This at Home: Recipes from My Head to Your Plate
  • Baking with Less Sugar: Recipes for Desserts Using Natural Sweeteners and Little-to-No White Sugar
  • Radically Simple: Brilliant Flavors with Breathtaking Ease: 325 Inspiring Recipes from Award-Winning Chef Rozanne Gold
Patricia Wells (born 5 November 1946 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) is a cookbook author and teacher who divides her time between Paris and Provence. Her book Patricia Wells at Home in Provence (1996) won the James Beard Award for Best International Cookbook. Wells is the only American and the only woman to be a restaurant critic for a major French publication, L'Express (1988–1991). She was also a rest ...more
More about Patricia Wells...