Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender

Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Ralph Nader is one of America's most passionate and effective social critics. He has been called a muckraker, a consumer crusader, and America's public defender. The cars we drive, the food we eat, the water we drink-their safety has been enhanced largely due to Ralph Nader. His inspiration and example have rallied consumer advocates, citizen activists, public interest law...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 17th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Crashing the Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crashing the Party

Brian

Innovation- +1 Stars
Inspiration- +1 Stars

1 Star Good
0 Star Bad-Neutral

Ralph bascially walks through why he ran in 2000 and why he refused to not "steal" votes from Gore. Do other software companies worry that they will be taking business away from Microsoft? No. It is nonsensical to assume that the Democrats own progressive voters. Ralph calls on us to take action to make them earn our vote, or we go to an alternative...more
Dave
I was there in Boston. The show of force was impressive. We didn't even get noticed. That doesn't happen anymore, now we have smart phone cameras and twitter. Back then if the TV didn't cover it, it didn't happen. Was this a historical footnote or turning point? Time will tell.
Colleen
Nov 03, 2007 Colleen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: blindly faithful Democrats
So, Ralph Nader is right about a lot of things. He really is. And there's a lot of important stuff in here about how our electoral system is actually a duopoly and makes it almost impossible for a viable third party to emerge. But this book goes on and on about how right he is and how wrong everyone else is. I even caught a few uses of the royal "we".

It's too bad, because I do think people need to know why and how he ran in 2000, and I agree with him in principle. But this book is just no fun to...more
Mark
318 pages of why one should vote for Nader. The accounts of the Democratic party’s mismanagement and duplicity in the currently flawed system is quite depressing. From campaign finance to the Commission on Presidential Debates, Nader hammers home the point that voting for the lesser of two evils will constantly be a mixture of less and evil. A viable third option needs to be forged, and the sooner it gets started the better off we will all be in the long run.
Patrick
Tough to get through with all his big words, even for a smart guy like myself, but a fascinating, empowering account of his run for President in 2000. He explains all the bullshit about trying to get your voice heard in our amazing democracy run by the two-headed corporate political machine, such as being blocked out of the debates and all the money and time spent by that piece of shit Al Gore to get Ralph kicked off the ballot in different states.
Al Young
Nader's telling of his 2000 campaign. It is pretty dry, and won't appeal to everyone. Still, for those who love to read about politics, there is plenty there to keep you interested. Unlike other books (such as Jesse Ventura's), I find it more disheartening than inspiring. The troubles and challenges Nader had to overcome show how entrenched the two-party system really is, and how hard it will be for anyone to win as an outsider.
Alberto
Excellent account of the 2000 presidential campaign of Ralph Nader for the Green Party. It is about ways to improve democracy by direct popular participation, no more, no less. The Democrats are too far away from their original ideas. The political process is hijacked by big business. Until new voices are heard, real democracy will be elusive. If I was a citizen, I'd vote for him.
Andy
written by Nader about his struggles with running as a third party candidate in the 2000 presidential elections. it addresses critical issues in the American election process such as campaign finance reform and our flawed two-party system. i enjoyed this book quite a bit when i read it. it's what sparked my interest and involvement in the Green Party and politics in general.
Derek Postlewaite
My absolute favorite book from one of the most admirable and important individuals in American history. Nader lays out his 2000 run for president of the United States, details the hypocrisy and ineffectiveness of the Democratic Party, and provides alternatives to our corporate run election system. Extremely enjoyable, entertaining and informative the entire way through.
Mark Robertson
Ralph recounts, rather dryly, his 2000 campaign. He makes excellent points and can occasionally be very humorous, but his writing style leaves a whole lot to be desired. Still, the blatant hypocrisy and anti-democratic opposition he recounts on the part of Gore and company is so enraging that you can put up with Ralph not having the best prose.
Ryan Stemen
Excellent read if you're wondering how BIG the Democratic and Republican parties are in scope, what it takes to beat them in an election, and of course how much power they have over American society's electoral process.

Plus, Ralph Nader being a Ralph Nader...questioning both parties and why we have to decide between the two.
Lou
Nader sheds light on a subject we all know too well, the political corruption that resides in Washington.We all know his independent run for the Presidency did Gore in, but he still felt both parties are slaves to corporate greed and self interest groups
Seytin
NADER POWER! Too much heat has come down on this man. He has a lot of integrity and this book is an amazing analysis of the two party system's love affair with corporate corruption. Let go of your partisan politics and open your mind.
Nick
It's been a few years since I read this: Nader makes some great points, runs an inspirational campaign.... but would do better if he improved story telling, didn't do as much name dropping, and were a little less self-important. Hmmmm
Daniel Crews
Among all the grandstanding and Ego, Nader makes some salient points that cannot safely be disregarded. We ignore his warnings about corporate control and the death of populism (little p) at our own peril.
Paul Ivanov
Pretty detailed account of Nader's 2000 candidacy, much of the writing here is just relaying the sequence of events, without as much commentary as I would have liked.
Rachel
I enjoyed this when I read it shortly after college. It reminded me to keep wanting more from a political party than just choosing the lesser of two evils.
Kathy
Aug 07, 2007 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to get inside the brain of ralph nader
Although this book wouldn't make me vote for Ralph Nader, it made me respect him for bringing another voice into two-party system.
Ricky Davis
I am a total Nader fan. In this book it shocked me to learn how much of our democratic process is undemoctratic.
Philip
Story after story after story about how the two major parties have conspired to divide up the spoils fairly equally.
Ever
I know what the majority of the world thinks of Ralph Nader, but I can't help but like the guy.
columbialion
Jan 06, 2010 columbialion rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
Real arguments against the status quo 2 party political system in America
Dave Mevis
Jan 23, 2008 Dave Mevis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People fed up with government
Good resource. Especially appendices and suggested reading.
Johnny Galt
Apr 15, 2012 Johnny Galt marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I own a signed copy. How could I not give it 5 stars!
C. Scott
A bitter reminder of what any third party in the US faces.
furious
i've been proud to throw my vote away to this man.
Patrick Fiorill
Maddening and incredibly dry, even for Nader.
Michael
Surprisingly bitchy, but still very illuminating.
Amy P.
Great politics, boring writer!
Ryan
gotta love this guy
  • Conscience Of A Liberal: Reclaiming The Compassionate Agenda
  • Crimes Against Nature: How George W. Bush and His Corporate Pals Are Plundering the Country and Hijacking Our Democracy
  • Declarations of Independence: Cross-Examining American Ideology
  • The Republican War on Science
  • Unequal Protection: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights
  • When Work Disappears: The World of the New Urban Poor
  • A Magnificent Catastrophe: The Tumultuous Election of 1800, America's First Presidential Campaign
  • American Power and the New Mandarins: Historical and Political Essays
  • Perfectly Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super Rich--and Cheat Everybody Else
  • Exposed: The Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Products and What's at Stake for American Power
  • Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think
  • Give Me Liberty: A Handbook for American Revolutionaries
  • Going to Tehran: Why the United States Must Come to Terms with the Islamic Republic of Iran
  • Supercapitalism: The Transformation of Business, Democracy, and Everyday Life
  • Bad Money: Reckless Finance, Failed Politics, and the Global Crisis of American Capitalism
  • Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
  • God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It
  • Blaming the Victims: Spurious Scholarship and the Palestinian Question
American attorney, author, lecturer, political activist, and candidate for President of the United States in five elections, including the last election 0f 2008, with his role in the 2000 election in particular being subject to much debate.

Areas of particular concern to Nader include consumer rights, humanitarianism, environmentalism, and democratic government. Nader is the first Arab American pr...more
More about Ralph Nader...
The Seventeen Traditions The Good Fight: Declare Your Independence and Close the Democracy Gap The Ralph Nader Reader Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us! Unsafe at Any Speed