Start by marking “The Story of Modern Art” as Want to Read:
The Story of Modern Art

The Story of Modern Art

Firmly established as one of the most readable and intelligent introductions to modern art, this classic book is essential reading for all those with an interest in the art of our century. The second edition has been fully updated to take account of recent developments.
Paperback, 2nd edition, 400 pages
Published 1989 by Phaidon Press (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Modern Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Modern Art

Silence Welder
Jun 13, 2013 Silence Welder rated it liked it
A good overview of modern art. The edition I read didn't include Hirst and Emin, but that wasn't exactly what I was after.

It introduced movements and gave what seemed like a balanced view of the creators and their creations, their processes and also responses from viewers - public and private, past and present.
Anne
Jul 15, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic, partly-read
This was a very good starter for those interested to learn more about modern art like me. I am not giving this five stars because the orientation was slightly confusing - I would have preferred the chapters to be laid out per art movement rather than the idea or context behind them. I'm glad that there were lots of examples of Paul Cezanne's works (I like him very much). Sadly, Expressionism wasn't elaborated upon; Edvard Munch's The Scream wasn't even shown. I would suggest further discussion f ...more
Denis Taylor
Apr 23, 2015 Denis Taylor rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in 1989 - since then I have re-read again periodically (version #2 1992). The introduction and the last few pages are [for me] a poignant comment on the state of contemporary art |today]. As a painter myself, the book stands out [for me] as an important opinion worth digesting [and perhaps] for all visual artists who continue research into the plastic arts as a serious form of art.
J.J. Rodeo
Jan 30, 2015 J.J. Rodeo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
این کتاب گویی دنباله تاریخ هنر گامبریج است، و از دید من به همان اندازه گیرا و دوست داشتنی است. هر فصل کتاب به یک گرایش عمده هنری می پردازد و اندیشه ها و فضای اجتماعی را که به ایجاد آن گرایش کمک کرده است، مرور می کند.
دوست داشتم کمی بیشتر تابلوها از دید بصری تحلیل شوند، اما همان حاشیه پردازی هم برای لذت بردن از کتاب کافی است.
Commander Law
Jan 20, 2014 Commander Law rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
It as the story of modern art up to about the 90's; I dare say there are further revisions.

Excellent in parts, especially when discussing the interactions between public, intermediates and artists. Sometimes felt that the text was composed of essays stiched together.
Jerry Reeves
Nov 21, 2012 Jerry Reeves rated it really liked it

For all its 400 pages it still seems to fairly skip through the artists/schools. Lots of interesting background and opinion. There are some gaps, not least that it was never updated to consider the likes of Hirst and Emin.
Srikanth
Sep 11, 2014 Srikanth rated it liked it
A disappointment from Phaidon, a failure of design and layout. Very important colour paintings appear in monochrome. Objects of different scales misleadingly located alongside. What gives?!
R Samyuktha
R Samyuktha rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Amir Mahmud
Amir Mahmud rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Gizem
Gizem rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Dr Soheyla
Dr Soheyla rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Bita
Bita rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Maryam
Maryam rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2009
Anita Mahmud
Anita Mahmud rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Dilara
Dilara rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Chahab Orage
Chahab Orage rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2008
Theda
Theda rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2009
Yulia Yaseneva
Yulia Yaseneva rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Ario
Ario rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Koen Lempers
Koen Lempers rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Mahya Rostamkhani
Mahya Rostamkhani rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
sotoodeh
sotoodeh rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Sina Azizi
Sina Azizi rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2010
Sahar Hamed
Sahar Hamed rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Sanaz
Sanaz rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Negar
Negar rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Fatih
Fatih rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Nika Adibi
Nika Adibi rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Pegah
Pegah rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
  • CBGB & OMFUG: Thirty Years from the Home of Underground Rock
  • Shoes: A Celebration of Pumps, Sandals, Slippers & More
  • Maggots
  • Back in the Days
  • Spraycan Art
  • The Dada Painters and Poets: An Anthology (Paperbacks in Art History)
  • Passionate Journey
  • Audrey: A Life in Pictures
  • Come Over, Come Over
  • Powr Mastrs 1
  • دايرة المعارف هنر / Encyclopedia of Art
  • Bomb the Suburbs: Graffiti, Race, Freight-Hopping and the Search for Hip Hop's Moral Center
  • The Voices of Silence: Man and His Art. (Abridged from the Psychology of Art)
  • Principles of Art History: The Problem of the Development of Style in Later Art