The Story of Modern Art

The Story of Modern Art

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Firmly established as one of the most readable and intelligent introductions to modern art, this classic book is essential reading for all those with an interest in the art of our century. The second edition has been fully updated to take account of recent developments.
Paperback, 2nd edition, 400 pages
Published 1989 by Phaidon Press (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Modern Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Modern Art

Silence Welder
A good overview of modern art. The edition I read didn't include Hirst and Emin, but that wasn't exactly what I was after.

It introduced movements and gave what seemed like a balanced view of the creators and their creations, their processes and also responses from viewers - public and private, past and present.
Anne
This was a very good starter for those interested to learn more about modern art like me. I am not giving this five stars because the orientation was slightly confusing - I would have preferred the chapters to be laid out per art movement rather than the idea or context behind them. I'm glad that there were lots of examples of Paul Cezanne's works (I like him very much). Sadly, Expressionism wasn't elaborated upon; Edvard Munch's The Scream wasn't even shown. I would suggest further discussion f...more
Srikanth
A disappointment from Phaidon, a failure of design and layout. Very important colour paintings appear in monochrome. Objects of different scales misleadingly located alongside. What gives?!
Jerry Reeves

For all its 400 pages it still seems to fairly skip through the artists/schools. Lots of interesting background and opinion. There are some gaps, not least that it was never updated to consider the likes of Hirst and Emin.
Nina
Nina added it
Sep 21, 2014
Rachel Lee
Rachel Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Mohammadreza Farahani
Mohammadreza Farahani is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2014
Octalyna
Octalyna marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Hakan
Hakan marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Andrew Grewcock
Andrew Grewcock marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Mergitë
Mergitë marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Lisajean
Lisajean marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Moliere Margit
Moliere Margit marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Rocky
Rocky marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Ümid
Ümid is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2014
Ali Jalilpoor
Ali Jalilpoor marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Nader
Nader marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Joao Luis
Joao Luis is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
هنر مدرن Ben Nicholson Klee Tatlin's Tower: Monument to Revolution Modern Sanatın Öyküsü