Start by marking “Nacht der Abrechnung” as Want to Read:
Nacht der Abrechnung

Nacht der Abrechnung (Max Freeman #4)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  265 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Privatdetektiv Max Freeman wird von seiner ehemaligen Flamme, der Polizistin Sherry Richards, um Hilfe gebeten. Sie verdächtigt Colin O’Shea, einen Ex-Cop, in Südflorida drei Barmädchen ermordet zu haben. Als Sherry und Max gerade mit ihren Ermittlungen beginnen, verschwindet eine weitere junge Frau. Offenbar gibt es Verbindungen zu einem schon länger zurückliegenden Fall ...more
Published 2006 by Droemer Knaur (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nacht der Abrechnung, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nacht der Abrechnung

Joy
Before buying this book, I checked the ratings first even though it's on sale. This is the first I've read from Jonathon King and his writing style was good. I only found out he's a former journalist after reading the story and it explained how he put attention to the details.

The story started with the suspect's activities then switched to first person (Max's). I put aside my reservations about reading series in order because this is the 4th in the Max Freeman series, and I'm glad I did because
Robert
Sep 29, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
If you have not found Jonathan King yet give his Max Freeman series a shot. A Killing Night is the fourth in the Max Freeman series and these just seem to get better as they go along. In this installment Max will get mixed up in the case of some missing woman who work at local bars. King is sure to delight mystery fans and Max Freeman fans alike. Enjoy the ride!
Marsha
Another in the series about the ex Philly cop, this time Max is drawn into an investigation which implicates a fellow former home town cop and acquaintence in the murder of female bartenders.

The abuse of power,the perception of guilt and the pull of old relationships are strong themes in this interesting mystery.
Ramon Dearmas
Aug 06, 2011 Ramon Dearmas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book and have to say this is my second author behind John Connoly very good and descriptive! Gave this author to another avid book reader as myself and he was impressed as well, this is my second book of his.

The author brings the glades to real life!

Keeps you coming back for more....
Barbara
May 01, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read!! Jonathon King knows how to keep you turning those pages! I think he will rate right up there with Michael Connelly, Harlen Coben,Robert Crais and Robert Parker!! Love fighting crime with Max Freeman!!
Barbara B.
Mar 15, 2012 Barbara B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sometimes sound like I am in a rut, but I sure do like these authors that have an interesting character to follow................and this book was no exception! And the story line was really good, too!
Victoria
Mar 09, 2011 Victoria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The first Max Freeman novel I've read. I enjoyed it, but had to read the synopsis to remember what it was about a week or so later. I did enjoy the Florida Everglades venue.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Max Freeman; someone in law enforcement is killing female bartenders and Freeman look to track him down
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Something in A KILLING NIGHT bothered me. No, it wasn’t Jonathon King’s writing. I can’t put my finger on “it” that made me feel a little displeased with the story line. Perhaps it was Richards’ complete obsession with violence against women or her emotional distance from Max and Billy. Or maybe “it” was the triteness of the plotline?

Ex-cop Colin O’Shea had saved Max Freeman’s life in a Philadelphia dark alley and quit the force in disgrace among allegations of sexual improprieties of a mentall
LJ
A KILLING NIGHT (Suspense-Miami/Philadelphia-Cont) – VG
King, Jonathan – 4th book
Dutton, 2006- Hardcover
Former cop Max Freeman has been asked by his former girlfriend, Detective Sherry Richards, to investigate someone Max worked with on the Philadelphia police force. Richards suspects O’Shea in a case of young, female bartenders who are disappearing. While for his friend, attorney Billy Manchester, Max is trying to protect immigrant workers who severely injured working on a cruise ship.
*** Once a
Jeff Dickison
May 16, 2016 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Max Freeman tale as he helps his ex-girlfriend discover who is killing female bartenders in the Miami area. He is also helping his friend Billy try to bring justice to some ship workers who are being strong armed. Well written, with plenty of action. Recommended.
Amy
Jul 30, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
For me, this was my least favorite book of the series so far. The plot was interesting, and the twists were nice, but they weren't quite enough to hold the book together. In the previous books, there was a lot of action and worry that the main character, Max, wouldn't make it out alive. I felt no worry for his safety here.

Max spent a lot of time convincing us how clever he was. Just about everything he did he had to explain the reasoning for it. Maybe he did this in the other books as well, but
Gavin
Feb 21, 2008 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
This is the fourth of Mr. King's novels featuring Max Freeman. Max, now having been lured back into the world from his Florida Everglades hideout, goes on the trail of a barmaid killer. His ex-girlfriend, a policewoman in Fort Lauderdale, has been investigating without any assistance from the boys or girls in blue based on a hunch that missing barmaids have been killed. Her initial suspicion is on a former police officer from Philadelphia, known to Max from his time with the Philly PD. Were I to ...more
David Weinfeld
Pretty good story, but solution was too simple and ending was anti-climactic.
John
Sep 14, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How fun is it for a defense attorney to keep his office in his black Lincoln with a convicted person working off his jail time? Your client screams innocent and your gut tells you she did it.
Karen
Dec 18, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one not as good, or I wasn't as much in the mood? Less time in the swamp, he is healing. But abusive bad guy, so maybe that is why it wasn't as enjoyable.
Jim Moore
Great book he is close to James Lee Burke.
Kim Owens
Jun 25, 2016 Kim Owens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it...like all his books!
Joan
May 05, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
twisty
Catalina Soltero
Catalina Soltero marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Kathleen Tugwell
Kathleen Tugwell rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
susan marks
susan marks rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Nancy Nitzberg
Nancy Nitzberg rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Sara Shanley
Sara Shanley marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Gabriele
Gabriele marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Richard Lucia
Richard Lucia rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Jan Wright
Jan Wright marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
  • A Mischief in the Snow (Bracebridge Mystery, #4)
  • Hoodwink (Nameless Detective, #7)
  • 'Til Dice Do Us Part (Bunco Babes Mystery, #2)
  • Blown Away (Frank Corso, #6)
  • Night Vision
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Shadows (Craig Burch, #2)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • The Professor
  • Every Move She Makes
  • Der Judasfluch
  • Self's Punishment (Gerhard Self #1)
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • The Client (Penguin Readers)
  • Never Count Out the Dead
Edgar-award winning author Jonathon King is the creator of the Max Freeman crime series set in the Everglades and on the hard streets of urban South Florida. In his previous career as a journalist, he was a police and court reporter for 24 years with the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale and the Philadelphia Daily News.

More about Jonathon King...

Max Freeman (7 books)
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2)
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Midnight Guardians (Max Freeman, #6)
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)