Start by marking “Branded Outlaw: A Tale of Wild Hearts in the Wild West” as Want to Read:
Branded Outlaw: A Tale of Wild Hearts in the Wild West

Branded Outlaw: A Tale of Wild Hearts in the Wild West

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Take the law into your own hands, and you risk losing your grip on everything else—including your life. Lee Weston—a young Paul Newman with a Colt revolver at his hip—is as good-looking as he is quick tempered, and he’s got a lot to be angry about.

His father murdered, his family ranch torched, he goes gunning for Harvey Dodge—the man who he’s convinced is the killer—and it...more
Published September 8th 2008 by Galaxy Press (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Branded Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Branded Outlaw

EZRead eBookstore
I’ve got to come clean: I’ve been on a severe Western kick ever since I started playing “Red Dead Redemption,” and so I was pre-reading pumped to jump into “The Branded Outlaw”, a pulp-fiction-style Western. It’s gotten bad lately. I’ve started using words like “pard’ner,” I’m doodling Winchester rifles, and I dream about hog-tying criminals. And as my motto goes, if you have an itch, scratch it. So did “The Branded Outlaw” scratch my back to my satisfaction? This highly biased EZ Reader finds o...more
Bruce Deming
���In this full-cast and full-sound-effects production, the narrator���s
steady, almost conspiratorial, delivery of the narrative heightens the tension in this exciting shoot-���em-up.���
���AudioFile Magazine

AudioFile review is good and I usually listen in the car but it is a huge treat to experience this on a good set of headphones at home for great sound and story experience when you have the time. It's all such a real experience for my imagination.

There really isn't anything close on the m...more
Craig
This is a short old pulp Western, a genre with which I'm not too familiar. I didn't enjoy it as much as most of his work in other categories (the characters seemed a bit -too- stereotyped, and the plot just a little -too- obvious), but it was nonetheless a quick and entertaining diversion.
Traci
Great fun pulp fiction. Had no idea the Dianetics guru was also a pretty good fiction writer. Quick entertaining read, not much on the intellectual stimulation front, but worth a hour of reading instead of your evening tv show : )
Dale
About as action-packed as a book can be

Originally published in 1938 in "Five-Novels Monthly" magazine
Re-published by Galaxy Press in 2011.

I read this as a kindle e-book, which seemed sort of appropriate considering L. Ron Hubbard's standing as a world class science fiction author. When this story was originally written in 1938 my standard-issue Kindle HD tablet would seem to be nothing short of science fiction.

You may not be aware that Hubbard wrote plenty of westerns back in the days of pulp s...more
Bryce Emley
good olde fashioned hootenanny.
Stewart
The kind folks at Galaxy Press have given me a few copies of their audiobooks over the years at semiannual ALA conferences. I promised one of their booth reps this summer that I'd post reviews of them on Goodreads to repay their generosity.

Branded Outlaw is one of L. Ron Hubbard's old pulp novels. Short and sweet bits of fiction for mass-consumption compared to his voluminous masterpieces Battlefield Earth and the Mission Earth series, among others.

I love that Galaxy has chosen to make full-cast...more
Shirley
Galaxy Audio provides a superb rendition of L. Ron Hubbard's Branded Outlaw. The narrator could be an old cowpoke resting by a blazing campfire along a nighttime trail spinning the legend of Suicide Weston. Sound effects more fully draw the listener into the story.

This great example of pulp fiction written in 1938 is a western loaded with suspenseful twists and turns plus a whimsical touch of romance. Hubbard's talent for writing is demonstrated in the following excerpt from the story.

"It was d...more
Thomas
I thought this book was a lot of fun. The gunfight at the end was riveting and it made me wonder why Hollywood hasn't filmed any of Hubbard's westerns. This would make a great movie. Hubbard's westerns are all underrated. He demonstrates a mastery of the genre and readers won't be disappointed.There are plenty of blazing six shooters and galloping horses, fascinating characters and a dash of romance thrown in with all of the gunpowder. Recommended for all western fans! This book is blazing weste...more
Kelly Hager
Lee returns to his hometown after receiving a letter from his father, asking for help. He’s having problems with a neighbor. By the time Lee returns, his father’s dead. While trying to find the neighbor he believes is responsible, Lee ends up making enemies of pretty much the entire town…except for one girl, who so happens to be the daughter of the man who killed his father.

I enjoyed reading this–first, it’s short, so it can easily be read in one sitting. Secondly (and what’s most important), i...more
Randee Baty
I've listened to a number of these "Golden Age" L. Ron Hubbard stories and this is one of the better ones. They come across like Old Time Radio which I enjoy. The recording has a large cast and background music so it is pleasant to listen to.

Branded Outlaw is set in the old West and is the story of Lee Weston, a sometimes gunfighter who comes back to Pecos New Mexico to find that his father has been murdered. In his quest to avenge his father, he becomes known as a dangerous gunslinger. He must...more
Gmc
Chad
It's a decent western revenge tale a little Hollywood, but not a bad read. The plot was a bit predictable and the characters somewhat two dimensional but if you are just looking for a short western to read just for fun, this one will fit the bill. I hope to pick up some of LRH other pulp fiction writings to get an idea of the other genres he has dabbled in.
Shawn Camp
Western's are fun stories to read even though they aren't as popular nowadays. This story is one of the short novella's that L Ron Hubbard put out back then. A fun story of mistaken circumstance that easily escalates into something worse. If only the characters could have a bit more of a back story to create more interest in them.
Fitri
Menceritakan tentang kisah seorang pemuda yang berusaha membalas dendam ayahnya yang meninggal karena dibunuh... Moral storynya : kita harus tetap berusaha sekuat yang kita bisa dengan apapun yang kita miliki, dan membuka pikiran untuk menerima ide-ide yang tidak terpikirkan sebelumnya....
Ricki
I always enjoy the multicast performances of these Hubbard novellas, but this one just didn't keep my interest like others have. I am not sure if it was the genre or that I was having trouble keeping the relationships of all the characters straight. Still, it was an entertaining listen.
Willie
I don't know much about the old west but this book combined history with a simple plot and action. It had a bit of everything and sent me on somewhat of a emotional roller coaster. I felt really compassionate towards Lee and it had a lot to do with the authors style of writing.
Angus
I got this because it was a dollar and that is about what it was worth. There were points where I think he forgot the story he was telling but I guess being a pulp writer at the time he was just churning these things out.
Leah Harris
Quick, edge of your seat read. I thoroughly enjoyed worrying alongside Lee Weston as he rushes to clear his name. This was my first L. Ron Hubbard western and look forward to reading some more.
Anthony Ventrello
I'm not much for westerns. I can probably count the number that I have read on one hand but this one was one of the best. Is there anything LRH couldn't write well?
Scott Whitney
I could not sleep and this was a great story to get me through the night. What a fantastic author!
Micah
It had a functional story but the characters felt stiff.
Andy
Good Rollicking old fashioned western fun!!!
Pirate Dave
fun old fashioned western
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Potatobug
Potatobug marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Jayce
Jayce marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
L. Ron Hubbard was a popular pulp writer of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, mysteries and westerns during the 1930s and later founder of Dianetics and Scientology.

Known Pseudonyms:
Frederick Engelhardt
Kurt von Rachen
Rene LaFayete/Rene La Fayette/René Lafayette
Frankie Rohne
More about L. Ron Hubbard...
Battlefield Earth The Invaders Plan (Mission Earth, #1) Black Genesis (Mission Earth, #2) The Enemy Within (Mission Earth, #3) An Alien Affair (Mission Earth, #4)