Start by marking “The Secret of Cypriere Bayou” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Cypriere Bayou

The Secret of Cypriere Bayou (Shivers #5)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  273 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A MANSION OF HORRORS DEEP IN THE LOUISIANA BAYOUS...

For Olivia Markham, laMalediction is the ideal setting in which to complete her work. But something is sending a chill up the usually fearless author's spine. There are the unearthly noises, the sliding panels, the hidden passageways...and John Landry, the sexy caretaker who seems less than welcoming.

John has work of his
Published March 1st 2011 by Harlequin Intrigue (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Cypriere Bayou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Cypriere Bayou

Kate
Jul 31, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over all rating -- 4.5 stars

I don't often read Harlequin Intrigue books, but I'm glad I picked this one up!

I grew up in southwest Louisiana and don't often read books set in the bayous because the characters usually end up being caricatures of what people expect from Louisianians, Cajuns and Creoles. But when I saw the author was also from Louisiana (actually just outside of my hometown and a graduate of my high school), I decided to give it a try. I'm happy to report that all of the characters
Ash
Feb 08, 2015 Ash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting book.Good suspense.
Jo
Apr 28, 2012 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
3.5 stars. It's the almost self-concious nods to fictional cliches and popular entertainment that make this book better than your normal intrigue. I bet there was even a Scooby Doo reference the author was forced to take out by a pesky editor.

"If I had blonde hair and big boobs, I'd be a living cliche."

Pleased to hear there's a sequel, as I was curious to know if the emeralds are ever found. Look forward to reading it.
Mojca
Somehow I just couldn't really get into this one. There was just too much going on. Hero keeping a secret, hero searching for a missing sister, heroine dreaming of the house she's never seen before, gothic atmosphere, ghosts, storms, a hidden presence waiting for a prophecy to be fulfilled, a missing caretaker...Simply too much for a category book, if you ask me.
Bookadventurer
I loved it! I didn't want to put it down, and read half the book in one sitting.

laMalediction (which translates into "the curse"), a once grandious home situated in the backwater of the bayous, now sitting empty and derelict was the perfect setting for what turned out to be a grown-up mystery reminiscent of Nancy Drew. I absolutely loved the developing relationship between Olivia, horror writer who rented the mansion for inspiration for her next novel, and John Landry, aka caretaker/cop who's re
Jul 17, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Secret of Cypriere Bayou is the (March 2011) prequel to Bayou Bodyguard, which I read first. I enjoyed Bayou Bodyguard so much I bought the prequel for my Nook and read it last night. Both books are set in the remote swamps of Louisiana, at a hulking, antiques-filled mansion called laMalediction. Believed to be haunted and cursed by the locals, laMalediction has been the site of madness, murder and voodoo since it was built just before the Civil War.

When Olivia leases the mansion, believing
Wendy Sparrow
Feb 19, 2013 Wendy Sparrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
If you like haunted houses and secret passages(and, really, who doesn't?) this book is definitely the book for you. This was a fantastic read. I finished it in one breath. Okay, maybe two. I didn't think anything could outdo her Mystere Parish series, but this had secret passages in a haunted house! And a ghost story! I just want to grab you by the shoulders and shake you until you get how cool this book was. Secret Passages.

The house is properly eerie too because Olivia realizes early on that s
Kitty Felone
About time that I pick up a Harlequin book I can enjoy. I wasn't certain I'd enjoy it after I read the back cover blurb, but as it turned out, I did. The suspense was believable as were the characters. I even enjoyed the writing. I don't recall if there were any problems, either.

This is a fantastic haunted house story with a good flare of romance and suspense thrown in. I truly enjoyed it. In fact, it made me curious of other Jana DeLeon stories.

There were several times I felt myself nervous abo
Desiree reilly
Mar 06, 2011 Desiree reilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow this book is great the cover is great i get the book 3 a month it take about one day to
get them read well this one was up and wow i can describe Olivia is a author who rented
a old house in fact in the bayou and it had now way out during storms and the power would go out
well she want to look in to the house for a book well she got her hand full there was care taker
but he vanished and so a young cop took his place why was he here well he was looking for
his sister she up and vanished .Well be
Page
Oct 31, 2014 Page rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't one of Ms. Deleon's better books but it was written in 2011. Since then she has grown as a writer and her books now are magicial. The book may not be that great, but the author is.
Melody
Apr 08, 2015 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually like romance books but this one had an element of mystery and suspense and was an excellent read.
Emmie
Mar 24, 2015 Emmie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not spot the bad guy (normally I see them coming a mile away). This was a very good read.
Cally Powder
May 10, 2015 Cally Powder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been starting and stopping books for about a week or two, growing tired of the characters and the Great Misunderstandings that take place in most romance books.

This was an extremely nice change from those. The characters where a nice change of pace, seeming mature and reasonable and intelligent.

There wasn't a great deal of emotion in it, but the mystery was interesting and I liked the hint of paranormal.

All in all I would be more than willing to look up this author again. Hopefully all of
Becky
Apr 27, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As much as I love Deleon, this book was not my favorite.
Debbie
Nov 05, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good,but the end was rushed.
Gayle
Oct 17, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: intrigues
Terrific spooky read with great characters who share a believable chemistry. This is my first Jana Deleon book that I've read and I am seriously hooked. One of the most hysterical and an unexpected moments occurs in this book, when the characters are about to take their budding attraction to the next level. Really enjoyed it, downloaded Jana Deleon's other intrigue Bayou Bodyguard immediately after finishing this book.
Sherry
Jun 08, 2011 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way this series has chosen to show its continuing premise; by mentioning another house of interest in the first book of this years "Shiver" series, the next book will be at that residence. But I haven't been able to find any future titles for this series past the "Waterford Point." If anyone knows or hears of upcoming titles, please post comment.
Noelle Walsh
Feb 28, 2014 Noelle Walsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like spooky stories with haunted mansions located deep in the Louisiana bayou, then this is a book for you! It was really god and I was on the edge of my seat! I read it in one evening when the internet was out and there weren't any interesting programs on television. I really enjoyed it!
Kristin
I don't normally read Harlequins but I did this time because I love Jana DeLeon. It was a haunted mansion mystery. I enjoyed it even though it didn't have the humor of most of her books. I expect because it's a harlequin that she has a formula she has to follow.
Susan
Fun read with a very distinct atmosphere. Interesting characters, secret passages in an abandoned southern mansion, torrential rainstorms, mysterious doings, missing jewels, heart-pounding dreams, all this made for a fun read.
Sandra Rae
Oct 07, 2013 Sandra Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Gothic and creepy old house with hidden passages, set in the bayou swamp. Great mystery setting and story, what is the evil and the secrets that LaMalediction is hiding. Read this gripping tale and find out!
Debbie Heaton
Mar 18, 2011 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mansion of horrors deep in the bayou, a writer with a mysterious past, a cop searching for his missing half-sister--fast-paced action with a powerful heroine and romance to boot!
Soapykitty
Loved it and couldn't put it down! It also creeped me out a little bit because secret passages in huge old mansions and people watching you from them is very unnerving lol.
Lisa
Oct 03, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. A hunted house,love and ancestors! Sounds like a good story to me. And It was It was awesome I loved it alot. Haven't read a book like this in a long time
Renn
This was exciting book to read, and different for me. I usually read just romance. This kept me going.
Jane Chizmar
Aug 10, 2015 Jane Chizmar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great mystery by Jana DeLeon.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Shivers
Category: Suspense
Melanie
Aug 23, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book
Charlotte Smith
Aug 21, 2013 Charlotte Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
nook
  • The Missing Twin
  • The Man from Gossamer Ridge  (Cooper, #6)
  • Scene of the Crime: Bachelor Moon
  • Boots And Bullets
  • GI Cowboy (Daddy Corps, #1)
  • Last Spy Standing (SDDU, #11)
  • Guns and the Girl Next Door
  • Protecting Plain Jane (The Precinct: SWAT #2; The Precinct #14)
  • Colby Core (Colby Agency, #42)
  • Navy SEAL Security (Brothers in Arms, #1)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jana DeLeon was raised in southwest Louisiana among the bayous and gators. Her hometown is Carlyss, but you probably won't find it on a map. Her family owned a camp located on a bayou just off the Gulf of Mexico that you could only get there by boat. The most important feature was the rope hammock hanging in the shade on a huge deck that stretched ou ...more
More about Jana Deleon...

Shivers (8 books)
  • Stranger in a Small Town (Shivers, #1)
  • Mystery Lover (Shivers, #2)
  • Keeping Watch (Shivers, #3)
  • Darkwood Manor (Shivers, #4)
  • Waterford Point (Shivers, #6)
  • Triple Exposure
  • Stranger, Seducer, Protector (Shivers, #8)