Start by marking “The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-To-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation" is filled with easy-to-understand rules, real-world examples, dozens of reproducible exercises, and pre- and post-tests.This handy workbook is ideal for teachers, students in middle school through college, ESL students, homeschoolers, and professionals. Valuable for anyone who takes tests or writes reports, letters, Web pages, e-m ...more
ebook, Tenth Edition, 176 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Rebecca Graf
If you are looking for a quick reference book to help you with spelling, grammar, punctuation, and more, you might want to look into Jan Straus’ The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation.

I can always learn more when it comes to writing especially after being out of school for a few decades. I need a refresher on the do’s and don’ts of grammar. I think I found a good source in Straus’ Blue Book.

She discusses nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, punctuation, numbers, and basic grammar rules
Deirdre
A pretty simplistic book, but good for a quick grammar reference now and then. For more-complex grammar issues, I would stick to The Little, Brown Handbook, The Copyeditor's Handbook, or The Chicago Manual of Style.
Meghan Pinson
Excellent resource; now at the top of my list for writers who need this sort of help.
Warren Matthews
Explains every corner of English grammar. Fantastic. Think you know everything about grammar and punctuation? Read this book and you'll find many things you didn't know.
Ismael Galvan
The Blue Book is like an expanded version of The Elements of Style. It is very well organized and crystal clear. The final chapter has quizzes that cover everything. The Blue Book website has interactive multiple choice tests, which I strongly recommend. The book is available for free as a pdf(just goggle "The Blue Book pdf"), but a reference book this good is worth getting in paper form.
Pia
This book is great because it' s really easy to understand, but more than half of it is quizzes, 45 pages represent confusing words, and the rest are the rules. I'm not really impressed, but I gained from reading the rules part of the book. It surprises me that my edition is the tenth, so I guess people otherwise like it. :)
Lexie
This book has all the grammar and punctuation rules in an organized format so it's easy to refer to. I read it cover to cover, but I'm sure I'll be looking back at it several times.
Eve Davids
It's okay. Nothing new.
Mary
Borrowed from library. Would be good for when girls are in high school.
El Keitho
worth the read. good reminder of stuff we learned in fourth grade
Jessica Cooper
Title: Straus, J., & Fogarty, M. (2008). The blue book of grammar and punctuation: An easy-to-use guide with clear rules, real-world examples, and reproducible quizzes. San Fransico, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Reviewer: Jessica L. Cooper

Type: Professional Reference

Call Number: 428.2

Brief Description: A guide to teaching grammar and punctuation. Contains clear rules, examples, and quizzes that language teachers can use in their classrooms.

Cost: $14.20

Format: Print.
Elsayed Mahmoud
Helped me a lot to improve my writing, but it would take the five stars if the confusing words section could be at the end of the book or present it in more interesting way..
Chris
Need a good review of grammar or punctuation use for some reason. Look no further than this book. It's got all the major rules, as well as some examples and exercise pages, so you can speak a bit clearer for everyone to understand you. Very helpful.
Hysha
Jul 08, 2012 Hysha is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed refreshing myself on grammar and punctuation. I have to admit some things I don't remember learning. Great resource.
Paul Arnold
This book was very pragmatic but its lack of detail and theory really made it a bit of a disappointment.
Teguiche
A good add to my collection!
Julie Spieth
Julie Spieth marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Sira
Sira marked it as to-read
Chachabeziers
Chachabeziers marked it as to-read
Shahriar Mahmood
Shahriar Mahmood is currently reading it
Marie Sindao
Marie Sindao marked it as to-read
Hemal Doshi
Hemal Doshi marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Ammar Maged
Ammar Maged marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Ima Heretic
Ima Heretic is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Shrishty Jaiswal
Shrishty Jaiswal marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Paolo Villamor
Paolo Villamor marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Happy Mia
Happy Mia marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Grammatically Correct
  • Developmental Editing: A Handbook for Freelancers, Authors, and Publishers
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students
  • Editors on Editing: What Writers Need to Know About What Editors Do
  • The Curious Researcher: A Guide to Writing Research Papers
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The St. Martin's Guide to Writing
  • Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide
  • Basic English Grammar: With Answer Key [with Audio CDs]
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • The Economist Style Guide
  • The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment
  • English Grammar for Dummies
  • Common Mistakes in English
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • The Artful Edit: On the Practice of Editing Yourself
Relationship expert, author, radio host, and media guest, Jane Straus gives individuals, couples, and organizations the tools to thrive and experience the extraordinary in life. Visit JaneStraus.com to view her clips from TV shows; peruse her articles in USA Today, CNN.com, Woman's World Magazine, and other print publications; and read her newsletters and excerpts from her popular self-help book, ...more
More about Jane Straus...
Enough Is Enough!: Stop Enduring and Start Living Your Extraordinary Life Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-To-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes (Revised)