Start by marking “The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-To-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  389 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
"The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation" is filled with easy-to-understand rules, real-world examples, dozens of reproducible exercises, and pre- and post-tests. This handy workbook is ideal for teachers, students in middle school through college, ESL students, homeschoolers, and professionals. Valuable for anyone who takes tests or writes reports, letters, Web pages, e- ...more
ebook, Tenth Edition, 176 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Rebecca Graf
If you are looking for a quick reference book to help you with spelling, grammar, punctuation, and more, you might want to look into Jan Straus’ The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation.

I can always learn more when it comes to writing especially after being out of school for a few decades. I need a refresher on the do’s and don’ts of grammar. I think I found a good source in Straus’ Blue Book.

She discusses nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, punctuation, numbers, and basic grammar rules
Deirdre
Oct 17, 2008 Deirdre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
A pretty simplistic book, but good for a quick grammar reference now and then. For more-complex grammar issues, I would stick to The Little, Brown Handbook, The Copyeditor's Handbook, or The Chicago Manual of Style.
Meghan Pinson
Mar 31, 2014 Meghan Pinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: editing, writing
Excellent resource; now at the top of my list for writers who need this sort of help.
Warren Matthews
Explains every corner of English grammar. Fantastic. Think you know everything about grammar and punctuation? Read this book and you'll find many things you didn't know.
Ismael Galvan
Mar 17, 2014 Ismael Galvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Blue Book is like an expanded version of The Elements of Style. It is very well organized and crystal clear. The final chapter has quizzes that cover everything. The Blue Book website has interactive multiple choice tests, which I strongly recommend. The book is available for free as a pdf(just goggle "The Blue Book pdf"), but a reference book this good is worth getting in paper form.
Pia
Nov 26, 2012 Pia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great because it' s really easy to understand, but more than half of it is quizzes, 45 pages represent confusing words, and the rest are the rules. I'm not really impressed, but I gained from reading the rules part of the book. It surprises me that my edition is the tenth, so I guess people otherwise like it. :)
Lexie
Jul 11, 2013 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has all the grammar and punctuation rules in an organized format so it's easy to refer to. I read it cover to cover, but I'm sure I'll be looking back at it several times.
Eve Davids
It's okay. Nothing new.
El Keitho
Feb 01, 2015 El Keitho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
worth the read. good reminder of stuff we learned in fourth grade
Brittany
Sep 10, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful resource.
Jessica Cooper
Title: Straus, J., & Fogarty, M. (2008). The blue book of grammar and punctuation: An easy-to-use guide with clear rules, real-world examples, and reproducible quizzes. San Fransico, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Reviewer: Jessica L. Cooper

Type: Professional Reference

Call Number: 428.2

Brief Description: A guide to teaching grammar and punctuation. Contains clear rules, examples, and quizzes that language teachers can use in their classrooms.

Cost: $14.20

Format: Print.
Chris
Jan 21, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need a good review of grammar or punctuation use for some reason. Look no further than this book. It's got all the major rules, as well as some examples and exercise pages, so you can speak a bit clearer for everyone to understand you. Very helpful.
Elsayed Mahmoud
Helped me a lot to improve my writing, but it would take the five stars if the confusing words section could be at the end of the book or present it in more interesting way..
Mohammad Laif
Feb 29, 2016 Mohammad Laif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language
This is a good reference to english language to revisit now and again, it cover all important things in the language Fast & Understandable way.
Hysha
Jul 08, 2012 Hysha is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed refreshing myself on grammar and punctuation. I have to admit some things I don't remember learning. Great resource.
Paul Arnold
Mar 10, 2014 Paul Arnold rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grammar
This book was very pragmatic but its lack of detail and theory really made it a bit of a disappointment.
Mary
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed from library. Would be good for when girls are in high school.
Mohamed
Sep 17, 2015 Mohamed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lang, deutsch
A good add to my collection!
John Salazar
John Salazar is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2016
Ginny
Ginny rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Lynn Dixon
Lynn Dixon rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
elven828
elven828 marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Julie Bittrick
Julie Bittrick rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Tyler
Tyler is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
Suzanne Filbey
Suzanne Filbey marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Matthew J.
Matthew J. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Linda Cousine
Linda Cousine rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Brad Attaway
Brad Attaway rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
  • Developmental Editing: A Handbook for Freelancers, Authors, and Publishers
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Grammatically Correct
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • Editors on Editing: What Writers Need to Know About What Editors Do
  • The Write-Brain Workbook
  • The Artful Edit: On the Practice of Editing Yourself
  • English Grammar for Dummies
  • Basic English Grammar: With Answer Key [with Audio CDs]
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Relationship expert, author, radio host, and media guest, Jane Straus gives individuals, couples, and organizations the tools to thrive and experience the extraordinary in life. Visit JaneStraus.com to view her clips from TV shows; peruse her articles in USA Today, CNN.com, Woman's World Magazine, and other print publications; and read her newsletters and excerpts from her popular self-help book, ...more
More about Jane Straus...