Start by marking “The Armor of Light ” as Want to Read:
The Armor of Light

The Armor of Light

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A Battle of Wizardy From a History Not Quite Our Own...

GOD SAVE THE KING OF SCOTLAND
The heavy summer air of 1593 is full of portents for Elizabeth, England's Queen, and James VI, King of Scotland. A coven of witches secretly controlled by the Wizard Earl of Bothwell has summoned a storm to sink the ship that bears James' bride to Scotland. Though the ship made port, the su
Published October 1st 1997 by New England Science Fiction Association (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Armor of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Armor of Light

Furio
As many other alternative history works of fiction this book is set in England during the reign of Elizabeth the Great. It was the brightest and yet the most putrid age of British history, a time when history itself could have changed its course: it did, but unfortunately only to a certain extent.
It cannot be a mere chance that so many authors choose this age for their alternative history novels: so many opportunities to make the western world a different place have been wasted then.
(One could a
Wealhtheow
In this alternate history tale, Sir Philip Sidney didn't die at the Battle of Zutphen, and is instead Queen Elizabeth's champion. He is sent to Scotland to defend King James from Bothwell's witchcraft. With him comes Kit Marlowe, whose life he saved in 1593 and who has continued to spy for Walsingham. Five hundred pages later, Sidney and Marlowe defeat Bothwell using some bible verses. The writing is so repetitive, the magic so deus ex machina, that I could barely finish this.

The authors clearly
Margaret
This is a very entertaining historical fantasy set in an alternate magical Elizabethan England. In this world, Sir Philip Sidney did not die after the battle of Zutphen; he recovered from his wounds and lived to save Christopher Marlowe's life at the tavern in Deptford. When the Wizard Earl of Bothwell threatens James VI of Scotland with deadly magic, Elizabeth of England sends Sidney to defend him; Robert Cecil sends Marlowe along to spy, whereupon Marlowe is also pulled into the magical battle ...more
Alma Southmayd
Though it has been many years since I read this book, I do remember that I liked it quite a bit. And I wondered if the authors set any more books in this universe.
Denise
The wonderfully skilled writing team of Melissa Scott and the late Lisa A. Barnett has created a compelling alternate history novel, set in an Elizabethan age where Sir Philip Sidney and Christopher Marlowe escaped their historical deaths and are sent by the queen to Scotland in order to quell a dark, sorcerous power threatening her chosen heir, the king of Scots. Filled with magic and intrigue, this densely woven and brilliantly written book is an absolute delight to read.
Djrmel
This was a re-read from several years ago. The plot is only slightly less convoluted on the second try (I still attribute that to the book having two authors- each had plot twists they refused to surrender), but knowing what was coming allowed me to see the characters in a little more detail. As a fan of Christopher Marlowe's works, I'm a sucker for a story where he lived a longer life, especially one so full of intrigue.
Catherine
Alternate history with fantasy elements in which Sir Philip Sidney and Christopher Marlowe dodge their respective historical deaths and join forces to combat Lord Bothwell. An excellent read which I always hoped would have a sequel.
Just_ann_now
To reread, in the brand-new Kindle edition, now that I've become madly besotted with Melissa Scott and all her works.
Joseph
Fun alternate history of the end of Elizabeth I's reign with magic and religion intermingling.
Tracy
One of my very favorite historical fantasy books ever.
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Davina
Davina marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Susanne
Susanne marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Lindsay Johnson
Lindsay Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Elizabeth Barter
Elizabeth Barter marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Natarajan
Natarajan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)
  • The Shadow of Albion (Carolus Rex, #1)
  • Dark Cathedral (Dark Cathedral, #1)
  • Teot's War (The Song of Naga Teot, #1)
  • The Stars Dispose
  • The Door Into Fire (The Tale of the Five, #1)
  • Unicorn and Dragon (Unicorn and Dragon, #1)
  • Kirith Kirin
  • Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light
  • At the Queen's Command (Crown Colonies, #1)
  • The Tempering of Men (Iskryne World, #2)
  • Watchtower (Chronicles of Tornor, #1)
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...
Trouble and Her Friends Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1) Dreamships Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2) Death by Silver