Start by marking “What Makes a River” as Want to Read:
What Makes a River

What Makes a River

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  6 reviews
There's a Thing in Lake Michigan and it's after Beth's roommate. Beth wants someone else to take care of it. But when no one steps up, not even the mysterious Paul, who does this kind of thing for a living, Beth realizes that she'll have to do something herself before it's too late.
Published February 1st 2011 by Tor Books (first published January 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about What Makes a River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Makes a River

Claire
Free short on Tor.com
Kate
Kimikimi
Another Tor.com short story

This is a great one, all about how people pick up burdens they don`t want and do what has to be done when there is no one else. a little melancholy, a little heart breaking.
JM
An odd mix of Buffy and, I dunno, a hint of HP Lovecraft? Not bad, but it somehow felt too girly for me. Guess, by the context, that it's a short story set in a longer novel series.
Adam B.
I enjoyed it, though there was a little too much sense of being thrown into the unexplained for my tastes.
Lachanita
Lachanita marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Lisa F
Lisa F marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
*:・゚✧Pamela
*:・゚✧Pamela marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Michelle Haluska
Michelle Haluska marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Yilin
Yilin marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Stewie
Stewie marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Foggygirl
Foggygirl marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Jennifer Grindrod
Jennifer Grindrod marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Kathrine Perez
Kathrine Perez is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I grew up on a farm in western New York. I currently live in central Iowa. I work in IT by day and train dogs and write books by night. I live with a Rottweiler, a German Pinscher and a lot of books.

I am a fan of flyover country, wide open spaces, weather, books, working dogs, gutsy heroines and steadfast heroes.

My first novel, Wide Open, was published by Tor on March 13, 2012. My second novel Dee
More about Deborah Coates...
Wide Open (Wide Open, #1) Deep Down (Wide Open, #2) Strange Country (Wide Open, #3) How to Hide Your Heart Magic in a Certain Slant of Light