College Vegetarian Cooking

College Vegetarian Cooking

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Beyond Rice Cakes and Ramen

Quiz time! Vegetarianism is:

A) strictly for humorless health nuts.
B) fine if you actually like brown rice. I guess.
C) what? I wasn' t sleeping, I was resting my eyes. Can you repeat the question?
D) just kind of . . . normal.

You answered D, right? Meatless eating is healthy, inexpensive, ecologically friendly, and even hip. What's not to like?

But...more
Published February 9th 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published June 16th 2009)

Gloriavirtutisumbra
A very pretty book, great photos and format. I completely reverse my previous review, because i kept catching myself looking yet again at yet another recipe and photocopying 12 and then wishing i just had a copy of it to mark in my changes and the photos ARE well done.... okay i will probably be buying this. I wish the title wasn't so limiting to its audience because there really are some clever ideas that many outside of college would be willing to try. Planning on making the tomato tart, the o...more
Adrienna
This is the first vegetarian book I read on a budget, humorous not bland with content, and beautiful photos of food. I am not a vegetarian but this book surely makes me want to be one soon. Some of the photos are scrumptious, maybe even for meat eaters to try the veggie side every once in awhile.

I will try a few recipes and see how it goes.

I am also considering buying the book (got it from the library). This is the first vegetarian book I've considered to try a majority of the recipes and more...more
Cherise
Good, basic cookbook. I think this would be a great introduction to cooking for someone on a budget and with limited kitchen equipment. Most of the ingredients could easily be found in a regular grocery store.

For a more experienced cook there are still plenty of ideas for quick and cheap vegetarian meals. However, I found the cooking times to be frequently off by significant amounts of time. It's an easy thing to correct for if you know your way around the kitchen, but I can imagine some burnt d...more
Heidi
I liked that these were simple, inexpensive, relatively fast, and fun vegetarian dishes. We've gone through dozens of vegan & vegetarian cookbooks recently and this one had the most recipes that I thought, "We would eat that!" We're trying out a lot of the recipes on the kids but I'm optimistic. They had a variety of cuisines (asian, european, mexican) and didn't rely heavily on packaged stuff like some of the other cookbooks.

I did wish it had more egg free/vegan dishes but otherwise, good...more
Autumn
This is the first cookbook that I have actually read cover-to-cover. The authors wrote in a way that it felt like I was actually talking to them about the food rather than reading about the food. The cookbook also contains lots of colorful photos, fun facts, tips, and much more. I tried making about half of the recipes in the book and they were all easy to make and delicious to eat. This book is perfect for someone who needs some help navigating around the kitchen.
Joss
Many recipes in this book are comprised of fried dishes. If you are looking to eat healthy this may not have the quantity of recipes you are looking for. However there were a few recipes that were healthy and inexpensive to make. It was a great read to inspire me to come up with interesting food combinations in addition to discovering different ways to mix in interesting ingredients like white beans or zucchini.
Morrosseth
If you need a quick meal on a budget and need a basic cookbook then this is for you. Maybe it's just me but I didn't like that there were so many pasta recipes and half the stuff in there I already knew how to make. I need a cookbook that gives me new ideas for meals. Oh well.
Jenn
The biggest fault with this book is that many of the recipes made 4-6 servings. If you are in college and a vegetarian, you are most likely to be cooking for ONE. I wish more of the recipes were for a single serving. The quiche and crepes were good though..
Hannah Darphin
I love this cookbook. It offers easy ways to eat fresh, healthy, and cheaply! I am a lover of fruits & veggies, however I am also a carnivore! I often used these recipes and just added baked chicken. It was a great way to please everyone who I was cooking for.
Deb
I had to return this before I got to try any recipes, but I was impressed by the amount of "real" vegetables and healthy recipes in this book. So impressed that it's on my Christmas wishlist!

This review will be updated once I have a taste of the delicious within.
Cristina Garcia
I liked these recipes! They were pretty simple and straight forward. They even had a broke section, which I highly appreciated.

Definitely worth a look. :)
Alien  Citizen
Yummy, quick to make food...I couldn't find a book called graduate school vegetarian cooking. :-P
Kelley
Apr 10, 2010 Kelley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i know - i'm not in college - but this seems like a great source for cheap, and easy veggie meals!
Katie
This is a great book for beginning cooks!
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Asa
Asa marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
Patty Sandifer-Baskin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Indigo
Indigo marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Vero
Vero marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Moses
Moses marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
May 22, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Golipoti
Golipoti marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Christine Doty
Christine Doty marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Teens Cook: How to Cook What You Want to Eat Teens Cook Dessert College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends The First Real Kitchen Cookbook: 100 Recipes and Tips for New Cooks The First Real Kitchen Cookbook: 100 Recipes and Tips for New Cooks