Start by marking “Locavesting: The Revolution in Local Investing and How to Profit from It” as Want to Read:
Locavesting: The Revolution in Local Investing and How to Profit from It

Locavesting: The Revolution in Local Investing and How to Profit from It

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  20 reviews
How individuals and communities can profit from local investingIn the wake of the financial crisis, investors are faced with a stark choice: entrust their hard-earned dollars to the Wall Street casino, or settle for anemic interest rates on savings, bonds, and CDs. Meanwhile, small businesses are being starved for the credit and capital they need to grow. There's got to be ...more
Published May 23rd 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published May 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Locavesting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Locavesting

Blink by Malcolm GladwellThe First Pillar by Roy HuffA Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le GuinEverything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran FoerProof of Heaven by Eben Alexander
2013 A
31st out of 109 books — 12 voters
Stumbling Toward Faith by Renee N. AltsonJ.R.R. Tolkien by Tom ShippeyJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlAgainst the Death Penalty by Gardner C. HanksAll My Road Before Me by C.S. Lewis
2014 Themed
38th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet
UPDATE:
I read this book in a day, which should be taken as a testament of how interesting it was. Cortese outlines a variety of ways in which we can (or eventually will be able to) have a more active role in investing in local projects and companies. We're on the brink of a revolution and I'm eager to see how the approaches described in this book will play out over time.

From March 2011:
I cannot wait to read this! Sounds right up my alley and right in line with the work I'm doing for We Are Athe
Steven P.

This is a thought-provoking book. I tended to think about maximizing the financial return from my investments, and using a portion of that to support the causes that I care about. This book challenges you to think more about the investments themselves. "Locavesting" by analogy to "Locavore" is about investing in your own community. Amy Cortese makes the case for why it's a good thing (supports jobs in your community, and local patronage keeps money in the community more than chain-store purchas
Jacqui
The first part of the book laid out the case investing more in our small businesses, and the ways in which current securities regulations make that difficult. The second part of the book talks about a bunch of different efforts being made to work around that.

I like the emphasis on building not just individual businesses, but communities of mutual support. One instance is a group of cops who pooled together to buy a bakery that was going under, because they didn't want to see yet another empty s
Eric
I bought Amy Cortese's book last summer, started reading and got so excited I had to put it down. Chocked full of energy and ideas, this is a book worth reading, re-reading, and sharing. Her call to "rethink the way we invest so that we support the small businesses that create jobs and healthy, resilient communities," offers the sort of practical and specific success models most books along these lines (Business? Not sure which category it belongs, but it's definitely non-fiction; Business-Help? ...more
Ryan Johnson
We have heard about eat local and buy local movements before. In this book the author makes a case about investing locally. She outlines some of the flaws in our current investing system (which siphons money out of communities and into national/global markets), describes how we got into these circumstances and away from our investing roots, and proposes some personal and systematic changes we can implement to get money back into our localities moving forward.

At times the financial jargon made m
Glen Carbon Library District

At times the financial jargon made m
Du
Sep 30, 2011 Du rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: planning
While not original in thought, this book has the right information to be part of a revolution. It focuses on the idea that if you value more of a return on your investment than dividends, you should look to place your investment money in local opportunities. The book then gives some realistic, and some idealistic suggestions for those opportunities. The layout and format is very useful with full description and examples of the funding options, with a summary at the end of each chapter. I would h ...more
Ben Sowell
I would probably give this 3.5 stars if I could. It surveys a number of different financial mechanisms for local investing, and discusses the advantages and disadvantages to both investors and companies seeking capital. I learned something reading this, particularly about the challenges that small companies outside the tech sector face when raising capital.

I was a bit worried that the author would sacrifice data and detail for a sort feel-good advocacy, but in the end I thought she did a fairly
Jeff
I'm no banker or economist, but there is a lot in this book I would like to try. I got a little tired of her telling us again and again how big banks are bad, how the current stock market isn't a way for small firms (who create all jobs) to raise capital, etc. I don't think there's many of her ideas I can use now in my local area. It would be different if I lived (like she does) in Brooklyn, NY. I think community leaders, community-minded bankers, and small business owners looking to expand shou ...more
Elizabeth
Excellent overview of various ways of investing locally. Each method is illustrated with examples of how it works, definitions, and a perspective of some of the pros and cons of the approach.
One of the best things about the book is that each chapter ends with a concise set of information on resources/next steps you can take to get involved in that particular local investing approach.
Excellent resource. I had read it on my own last summer, and now it's assigned reading for my capital markets cla
Benjamin
Fair. The book was fair. Some of it was really good. It is mostly promoting the idea of local investing, and explaining why the traditional kind is so terrible.

I would also give it 3.5 stars if I could. I would like to see a guide that shows more of the ways that individuals can get started, explain how to do research, and give a way to keep tabs on the movements that are opening up the investment market.

Joshua Kyle
Good quotes and statistics addressing the state of investment in America, offering fixes both long- and short-term. Author was brash, throwing unhelpful jabs and biased claims to industry standards. I found her views watering down the read, narrowing the scope of an otherwise fascinating situation in our country.
Shuva
This book has a great message - that of investing locally in your community. There's some great examples cited about local residents rallying to save something from extintction. However, it made me lose interest toward the end when going over IPOs. While interesting, it started to feel like I was reading a textbook.
Hiatt Zhao
I did not read every word in this book but I do think the information in this book is helpful. The author gave a lot of examples of locally organized funding organizations. It would take more investigation to figure out what can one do in his/her community.
Carol
Locavesting is a very good read for those who "get it". I was already convinced that investing locally builds community and inspires individual dreams. Now we must convince others that it is in their best interest to do the same.‏
PK Reeves
Cortese advocates investing locally with sharp research and historical facts. Economics 101 with a punch. Read Aisle B's review

Fatih Mehmet Karagöz
Kitabı yazmak yerine bu konuda bir belgesel çekilseymiş daha güzel olabilirmiş...
Ddweir2000
Getting a little dated now but still a great read with innovative ideas.
Sunny
Great information if you are looking to invest or start a business locally.
Sue Lipton
Couldn't get into it, though I thought I "should."
Kathryn
Kathryn is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Patrick Anseth
Patrick Anseth marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Evan Kramer
Evan Kramer marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Kim Comerford
Kim Comerford marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
  • Local Dollars, Local Sense: How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity (Community Resilience Guides)
  • The Small-Mart Revolution: How Local Businesses Are Beating the Global Competition
  • All That We Share
  • Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Fostering Sustainable Behavior: An Introduction to Community-Based Social Marketing
  • What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers
  • The Smart Growth Manual
  • Punching Out: One Year in a Closing Auto Plant
  • Night Comes to the Cumberlands: A Biography of a Depressed Area
  • Smart Cities: Big Data, Civic Hackers, and the Quest for a New Utopia
  • The City in Mind: Notes on the Urban Condition
  • The Gardens of Democracy: A New American Story of Citizenship, the Economy, and the Role of Government
  • Scripture, Culture, and Agriculture: An Agrarian Reading of the Bible
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest
  • The End of Growth: Adapting to Our New Economic Reality
  • What's the Economy For, Anyway?: Why It's Time to Stop Chasing Growth and Start Pursuing Happiness
Locavesting Paper