Start by marking “Formic Wars: Burning Earth” as Want to Read:
Formic Wars: Burning Earth

Formic Wars: Burning Earth (Formic Wars #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,041 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The never-before-told prequel to ENDER'S GAME! An unidentified ship is rocketing toward Earth with tech far beyond anything we've ever seen, and the only people who can give warning are a small band of asteroid miners millions of miles from home. The clock is ticking, and it doesn't look good for the human race. From New York Times-bestselling author Orson Scott Card comes ...more
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 168 pages
Published September 21st 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Formic Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formic Wars

Benjamin Plume
I didn't realize when I first started searching for this that it was a graphic novel. I've got nothing against them, but it's not a medium I normally read. Still, I was excited to see this part of the Ender's Game story, so I was only slightly disappointed.

As it turns out, Card gets credit for the plot, but he turned to someone else for the scripting. I think it suffers just a little from that. This isn't to say that the writing of Aaron Johnston isn't good, it's just not really in Orson Scott C
Cathy
It was really fun. It was a very solid story with several storylines and vivid characterizations. I had an easier time following the graphic novel format than I usually do too, it didn't skip around as much as some that I've read or just skip lines all together; if you aren't normally a graphic novel fan you shouldn't let the format stop you from reading the book. I thought the art was great and set the rough, warlike tone really well. Although Mazer being so hot was a shock after so many years ...more
I'm a fan of comics and of the Ender's Game books series, but I truly feel these never should have been translated into comics. The characters here are great, but what I like about the Ender books is the political (much of which is dulled down here) and the way he can create mental imagery without much description.

Perhaps if the art were better, this would have been more enjoyable. I would have liked to see it in book rather than comicbook format.
Todd Wardwell
For as well crafted as Earth Unaware was, this book did not seem as good. It has more dramatic character interfaces, more intrigue, and certainly more action. It seemed rushed and quick sometimes, and then dragged out in other places. Mazer gets an unlikely romance, Viko pretty much gets adopted, Len starts his paternal overthrow plan. The end came abruptly I thought, as if to set the next book started in the heat of the action. It will leave some readers frustrated. You may want to hold off on ...more
Ryan Linkous
This was good but not great. I don't think it would function very well by itself if it didn't have the entire Ender's Game saga before it. It doesn't seem like they did a whole lot with 168 pages worth of material, but I'd be interested to finish the graphic novel series and see if I like it. I've also not read any of Orson Scott Card's novels about the first first formic war, so I can't compare it to that. 2 stars not because it's bad, but while I wouldn't discourage anyone reading this, I woul ...more
Craig Childs
Many of the novels and short stories in Orson Scott Card's Ender series have been adapted into comic book form by Marvel, but this collection represents a brand new story in the series written as a comic. Card and Aaron Johnston co-wrote the story (Johnston wrote the script). They have announced plans to expand on the story in a trilogy of novels, the first of which Earth Unaware was published last month.

The artwork by Giancarlo Caracuzzo is adequate. The panels support the text and were usuall
John
I read this after reading the first 2 books, Earth Unaware & Earth Afire. This graphic novel really disappointed me. I thought it would be a good companion piece but it left out way too much backstory. Like most comics all meat & no vegetables. I hope the third book Earth Awakens is better than some of the reviews I read and gets me excited about continuing my read through the Enderverse.
Magila
I dug this, and enjoyed the art and coloring. No surprising bad language, a nice extension to the Ender story. It just didn't "pop." I'm sorry that the comment is so subjective, but it was just missing something intangible.

Tangible-wise I can say that I found the illustration of the Formics a little disappointing. I'm not sure if it was or was not intentional, but they just didn't strike fear in my heart. I enjoyed how it hopped around from place to place. I loved the characters to whom we were
Devin
This book was obviously largely influenced by the comic book writers he teamed up with. Not nearly as good as the original Ender books. It reminded me of reading the Halo books. Not my fav.
TJ Shelby
I was totally entertained with this. For someone who has micro-managed the film rights of the Ender world to the point where it will probably never get made while he's alive, I was uber-surprised to learn that Orson Scott Card would allow his money-machine to do something in an exclusive graphic novel format. This is a prequel to the Ender series and introduces the reader to the Formic war and the origin story of Mazer Rackham. To my knowledge, Card has no plans for a novel version of this story ...more
Mykmyk Pascua
Gives us a lot of background about the Formic War. And yeah, Mazer Rackham!
Jeff Vista
It's good to finally get a prequel to Ender's Game--the writing and style is very much like that book.

Keep in mind, though, that it will take you a couple of hours at most to burn through this graphic novel. Although if you consider that it's a collection of the first 7 issues in the comic series, it's like paying a little over $2 per book, which I guess is not a bad deal.

All in all, I'm not sure if I will purchase the next book(s) in the series. I expected this book to be a self-standing preque
Bill
Enjoyable addition to the Ender saga by Orson Scott Card. It's been a while since I last read Ender's Game, so I did not spot the plot discrepencies that others have pointed out. What did bother me was how matter-of-factly the characters in this book dealt with First Contact. I think there should have been a bit more debate even among the adventurous, though stoic, miners. On the up side, the story was exciting and the art was effective.
Peter van den
When I ordered this book, I was unaware that this is a comic book. But having read just about everything else in the Ender-verse, I wasn't going to send it back. And I wasn't disappointed in the least. This is really a very entertaining book and an excellent read. Now, I'll have to eagerly await the sequel (Formic Wars: Silent Strike)... My advice if you want to read this: make sure you have the sequel at hand, before you open this one ;)
John Doez
Not much to say. I prefer the books where things are better developed
arjuna
Not altogether keen, to be honest; the artwork has its appealing moments, and I like the storytelling (as always with OSC) but I'd have to see a bit more to see how this fits into a bigger picture before commenting in any detail on matters of construction and theme. Definitely Of Interest though, and I'll be keeping an eye out for future volumes.
Mitchell
Graphic novel Ender prequel but not nearly as good as it should have been. Unimpressive art (though not bad), unimpressive writing and most problematic unimpressive story. Just not the right story to take to this media. Sure it is Ender and I'll read just about anything in the Enderverse but I'd hoped for better.
Tricia
it was nice to get more insight on the world Ender was born into. I liked the mention of intelligence in children, not only did it give a foreshadowing into Ender's Game, it gives a hint as to where the concept of using children as leaders came into play. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Blaine Moore
I recognize this came before the earth unaware/afire books, but I enjoyed the longer treatment and the opportunity for the characters to have a little more development that was available for the novels more than I enjoyed the abbreviated version of the story.
Xander
Nice to get a new little entry into the Enderverse. As I flipped through the first couple pages, I wasn't sure I'd continue. It's a very different way to injest an Ender story. But before long I was hooked, and am now excited about part II.
Patrick Ritchie
The only thing wrong is that there isn't enough of it. Given the number of characters and the story arc it would have been nice to see more character development and back story...

Still a must if you're a fan of Ender's Game.
Craig
I enjoyed this initial installment. Nice progression of the story; good to hear how it all started. There was even some character progression - especially with Lem. I would enjoy reading the rest of the story.
Kara
I thought this was an actual book prequel to Ender's Game, so I was disappointed when it ended up being a comic book format, however it was interesting. Just wish it had been a full book!
Isaiah Swoboda
Well written, does a good job at replicating Card's writing style and process but is not quite the real deal. It was good to see the Ender universe explored more through a prequel series.
Reepacheep
I loved the story. I didn't get any of that icky 'this is a prequel' feeling you sometimes get with movies. And I'm a sucker for cool space ships, even if they are just mining vessels.
Emily
not bad liked the art much better than the ender's game graphic novel. i really liked the back story as well looking forward to the next installemnt
Kirsti Call
I love Orson Scott Card. His books are well written and his characters are well developed. This book is no exception.
Casey
Interesting, but not comparable to Ender's Game or the subsequent novels - which for me, were near life-changing.
Michael
Re-Read in preparation for reading the sequel.

First read March 31, 2012
stephanie
'they're killing the whales too? that's it. now I'm really pissed.'
  • Ender's Game: War of Gifts
  • Ender's Shadow: Command School
  • Ender's Game, Volume 2: Command School
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Quinlan Vos: Jedi in Darkness
  • Halo: Fall of Reach - Boot Camp
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling (Runaways, #11)
  • Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears
  • Moebius 4: The Long Tomorrow and Other Science Fiction Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #4)
  • Anomaly
  • Ender's Game: Ender In Exile (Marvel Premiere Editions)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 1
  • The Legend of Drizzt Omnibus, Vol. 1 (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1-3)
  • Pearl of Pandaria (World of Warcraft)
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume One: Agatha Awakens
  • Our Gods Wear Spandex: The Secret History of Comic Book Heroes
  • Marvel 1602: Spider-Man
  • Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...

Formic Wars (2 books)
  • Formic Wars: Silent Strike
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)