Start by marking “My Baby Blue Jays” as Want to Read:
My Baby Blue Jays

My Baby Blue Jays

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A blue jay building a nest outside his window prompts John Berendt to find his camera and record the familiar, yet always fascinating sequence of events that will unfold, from eggs being laid to chicks emerging and trying to fly. Children and adults alike will be astonished at the adventurous spirit of one particularly curious young blue jay as he ventures into the world. ...more
Published June 9th 2011 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about My Baby Blue Jays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Baby Blue Jays

Edward Sullivan
I especially appreciated this story after recently having a Carolina wren build a nest and hatch chicks in my carport.
Monika
My daughter is completely fascinated by this book. She studies each photo so closely, and asks questions as I read. The text reads as if the author is sitting in a recliner, a child in his lap, showing off the photos he has taken, telling the child a bit about each one. My Baby Blue Jays has a truly delightful tone which catches (and keeps!) a child's attention and wonder.

I love that the book is basically a nature photo essay which takes place in the city. New York City, specifically. John Beren
Amy
Dec 16, 2013 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: children, nf
Wow. There are so few good NF titles for small children that when I read one, I'm thrilled. "My Baby Blue Jays" is one such title. The author took pictures of a mama Blue Jay building a nest right outside his NYC apartment and then he took subsequent pictures of the building of the nest, the laying of eggs, the babies being born, etc. It is charming and written for young children, probably best for those up to second grade.

Imagine my surprise when I read that this is the same John Berendt who wr
Sketchbook
The birds is here.
Amber Graves
John Berendt finds a blue jay nest with eggs in it. He decides to make a journal about the life of these baby blue jays, with pictures depicting every stage of their lives. These baby blue jays grow up, leave the nest, and go out on their own. John focuses in on one of the baby blue jays and sees him every now and then as an adult.
Lesley
nice simple story for children of the life of baby blue jays. the author lives in new york city and blue jays built a nest on his balcony than took pictures of the babies and their progress in life.
Jim
great photos.
berendt kept referring to the birds as "husband and wife" for some reason i found that annoying. other than my hang-up on that it is a terrific book.
Elizabeth Ferry
Would make a great gift book for a book lover. Hope to remember to give it to my nephews at Christmas.
Carissa
A set of blue jays make their nest on the author's balcony and he records the lives of the babies.
Margaret
Apr 08, 2013 Margaret marked it as hardcopy-review-to-read

I have a special paperback edition from the Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. 4/8/2013
I really liked the story of blue jay's that built a nest in the city.
Elizabeth
The photographs look like something I could have taken with my cell phone.
Heather
A nice simple book about the nature around us.11
Susan Keeling jordan
Susan Keeling jordan marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Dolizoss
Dolizoss marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Linda Mearns
Linda Mearns marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Rick
Rick added it
Aug 07, 2014
Michelle Hickey
Michelle Hickey marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Lora
Lora added it
Jun 30, 2014
Helga
Helga marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Cate
Cate added it
Jun 01, 2014
Hugh
Hugh marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The son of two writers, John Berendt grew up in Syracuse, New York. He earned a B.A. in English from Harvard University, where he worked on the staff of The Harvard Lampoon. After graduating in 1961, he moved to New York City to pursue a career in publishing. He was editor of New York magazine from 1977 to 1979, and wrote a monthly column for Esquire from 1982 to 1994.

Berendt first traveled to Sav
More about John Berendt...
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil The City of Falling Angels John Berendt's Savannah Angelo Musco: Operaprena An Innocent Abroad: Life-changing Trips from 35 Great Writers