Beginnings: Reflections on the Bible's Intriguing Firsts

Beginnings: Reflections on the Bible's Intriguing Firsts

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The bestselling and prize-winning Israeli author Meir Shalev describes the many "firsts" of the Bible – the first love and the first death, to the first laugh and the first dream – providing a fresh, secular and surprising look at the stories we think we know.

The first kiss in the Bible is not a kiss of love. The first love in the Bible is not the love of a man and a woman...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Harmony (first published 2008)

Louise Silk
This is a must read for anyone interested in the bible. The author reintroduces all of the great heroes and heroines of the Hebrew Scripture in a series of firsts including the first kiss, the first laugh, and the first dream. His analysis is skillful, innovative and even provocative and clearly Shalev knows his bible. It was refreshing to see a modern look at a traditional subject that is accessible with a secular perspective.

I loved his fiction work: A Pigeon and a Boy and would recommend chec...more
Natan
You may wonder why I started a new shelf called 'Bible' for this book when I already have one called 'Judaism'. The answer is that this is by no means a religious text. Sometimes it is quite the opposite, in fact. At some points it is exceedingly so, to the point that it is annoying.

Don't get me wrong - it's a good book, and a thought-provoking one at that. Just don't expect any rabbi to like it.
Jo
You know a book deserves 5 stars when you are sad that you've finished reading it. (Something is missing, irretrievably)

I guess that never before has anything ever made me want to reread - and re-reread - the stories from the Tanakh as much as 'Beginnings' by Shalev. If you're interested in the Bible, be it only slightly, read this book. It is probably going to change your perspective for a lifetime.
Marjolijn
Leuk boek. In een boek over de Bijbel gaat het uiteraard om het uitleggen ervan, van Gods bedoeling met mensen. Maar dit boek laat ook zien dan de Bijbel een heel literair boek is dat is geschreven door mensen met bijzondere schrijftalenten.

Enige nadeel is de keuze voor "eerste keren", het gaat daardoor nogal veel over dezelfde verhalen uit het begin van de Bijbel: Abraham, Izaak en Jakob.
Ellen
This book about biblical first is fantastic for any time of discussion group. Each chapter can stand alone as an essay. Shalev is a secularist which does mean that his observations on the Bible should be considered inconsequential. His analysis is thought provoking and considers literary structure and human behavior. I can recommend this most strongly!
TempleOhabeiShalom
Recommended by Rabbi Sonia Saltzman:

In Beginnings, bestseling and prize winning Israei author Meir Shalev, describes the many "firsts" of the Bible- from the first love and the first death to the first laugh and the first dream -providing a fresh and surprising look at the stories we think we know.
K C
Delightful if irreverent Torah commentary from a secular writer who knows his Tanach. Wish all Jews, religious as well as secular, were as well versed as Shalev in Tanach. Of course well written resulting in very good reading for all.
Jan
Een zwaar teleurstellend boek.Het blijft aan de oppervlakte zodat het niets toevoegde aan wat ik al wist. De opzet,de eerste keren in de bijbel,is uitermate geforceerd.Ik zie de zin of functie ervan totaal niet in.
Gabriella
Gabriella marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Juko
Juko is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2014
Noemie Taylor
Noemie Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Eliana
Eliana marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Yan Schwartz
Yan Schwartz marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Lyubov Soloveva
Lyubov Soloveva marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
maraluce addams
maraluce addams marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Sivan
Sivan marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Meir Shalev is one of Israel’s most celebrated novelists. He has received many awards for his work, including the National Jewish Book Award and Israel’s Brenner Prize, both for A Pigeon and a Boy.

A columnist for the Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth, Shalev lives in Jerusalem and in northern Israel with his wife and children.

More about Meir Shalev...
A Pigeon and a Boy My Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum Cleaner: A Family Memoir The Blue Mountain Four Meals Esau: A Novel