Start by marking “La calma antes de... (Los muertos vivientes, #7)” as Want to Read:
La calma antes de... (Los muertos vivientes, #7)

La calma antes de... (The Walking Dead #37-42)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  12,097 ratings  ·  393 reviews
El embarazo de llega a su fin y el nacimiento está cerca. Después de todo lo que han pasado, ¿Rick y compañía estarán preparados para lo que están a punto de experimientar? Sin duda, esta entrega viene con un punto de inflexión sin marcha atrás.
Published September 17th 2008 by Planeta (first published September 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about La calma antes de..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La calma antes de...

Anthony Chavez
The title is fitting and this volume was chock full of Kirkman character development goodness.

So much happens! Really I think this, aside from the first volume, is the best so far at individual development of characters. After the Woodbury incident and story arc everyone realizes they need to restock on ammunition and supplies if they are to survive any possible attack by Woodbury which seems imminent now. Rick comes to terms that with his new disability he can't do everything and be the hero/l
Becky
WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT???

Well that was definitely unexpected. I totally thought that dude was zombie-food. Huh. Welcome back to the story, guy! Let's see where this goes.

Anyway... I'm kinda glad to see one of the losses from this volume. Chickadee was getting on my damn nerves. If Bill Maher was living with these folks, he'd be all like, "NEW RULE: If you can't cope with life, GTFO." It took longer than I expected, but FINALLY. Toodles, stupid.

Otherwise, this one was a little sl
Sam Quixote
The group prepares for an inevitable attack from Woodbury, training up everyone who can hold a gun while a small unit sets off to find the National Guard Station to stock up on guns, ammo and gas. Meanwhile, Maggie and Glenn tie the knot and Lori finally gives birth but still more death and tragedy befalls the small group.

I thought after the craziness of Woodbury and the Governor that this volume would be much less interesting as it’s more or less a return to the status quo but it’s still chock
Matt Stalbaum
For the most part, reviewing volumes of The Walking Dead seems pointless to me because, well, the idea's pretty damn basic - zombie apocalypse, civilization as we know it has toppled, people live in fear everyday while trying to still get by, survive, and hold onto things worth living for. Over the past 6 volumes, we've gotten to see people grow close to each other and lose loved ones, and Rick has definitely gone through his issues, realizing that it'll take more than being "good" to survive an ...more
Arielle Walker
I know that the title is pretty indicative of the pace of this volume, but I found myself really appreciating the lull in all of the extreme violence. Something in the relentless killing and torture scenes in the last few volumes has begun to wear a little thin, and I usually find myself numb to all the death and pain by the end, which is unusual for me.

The Calm Before sort of re-introduced me to the characters I had stopped caring about, and for this reason certain moments (view spoiler)
Brad
While my enjoyment of The Calm Before is way down compared to the other installments I've read of The Walking Dead, I think there was a real story telling wisdom behind the lull in action crafted by Robert Kirkman.

Our crew of survivors are still hanging out in the prison, and time goes by -- for the characters -- rather quickly. Some shit happens: Lori give birth to Judith; Dale loses his foot (the first successful amputation of a Zombie infected limb) and starts to suspect Andrea and Tyreese or
Kimberley doruyter
last page thought, they really should have killed that guy.
but i thought that with the show aswell.
Lisa
Again.. Carol is crazy.

Shit's about to hit the fan and I'm not going to like it.
Ashley
The Walking Dead, Vol.7: The Calm Before provides a much needed mental break for the characters and for me (well, mostly for the characters, with a couple of small exceptions). It's actually kind of notable that two things that would be considered absolutely horrifying in any other story feel really tame here because they are the only two bad things in this volume, where most volumes of this story contain WAY WAY WAY more than that. Also, Robert Kirkman is an asshole, I'm pretty sure, because th ...more
TW Brown
I realize this is the review for Volume Seven of The Walking Dead series; however, can there be anything good coming in volume eight when the title of the seventh chapter is The Calm Before? Robert Kirkman takes an entire chapter to lull his readers into a bit of complacency. Perhaps he is trying to get his readers to experience the idea he is driving home in this volume: sit in safety long enough and you will forget how to protect yourself.

The lack of good times and warm moments seems all the m
Alondra
4.5 Stars

Lots of information, and a LOT of differences shown, apart from the series.

What I liked about this book, is how everyone is dealing with things and each other. Not as much violence, as the previous book.

Everyone is trying to find their own way, and make a life at the prison. As we saw from the show; they get a little too comfortable. Even though they prepare and stock up on supplies; they have no idea what is waiting for them. It has been at least 2 months since Michonne and Rick escap
Kim
Great Lori is still alive. Not good.
jae!
this was really the calm before... The equivalent of season 4 if i remember correctly. I really liked the 2 previous volumes because it was like the tv show, but still surprising and different. this one was just a little dissapointing compared to them. I thought it didn't bring anything interesting, just old character stories... a guy gets his leg choped up ( tho this time it works) people are jealous, someone comits suicide. the usual ( :p)

The T.V show saw the potential in this calm before the
Much of The Calm Before focused on the survivors engaging in pre-apocalypse behaviors. A wedding, a birth, a basketball game, some gardening, "shopping", choosing which movie to watch next and the like. As the title suggests, their opportunity to indulge in the little things they took for granted before the zombie outbreak was inevitably short-lived, leading up to a not-too-surprising last page attack.

Of course, it wouldn't be an installment of The Walking Dead without bloodshed, of the complete
Stephen
description

The Walking dead Volume seven The Calm Before begins about nine months after the first volume. The group is now preparing for an invasion from Woodbury so they are training everyone who can hold a gun, also Lori is expecting her baby anytime soon now. Supplies are found at a nearby National Guard station the fences are patched and guarded at the prison, and everyone begin to settle down, just a little.

I can't get enough how Kirkman isn't afraid to kill off his main characters that is truly one
Kelsey Trinkner
In this volume of “The Walking Dead,” Lori confronts Rick, telling her about Shane. She needs to tell Rick her baby might not be his. Rick says he already knows, but wishes not to hear her say it. Meanwhile, Hershel marries Glenn and Maggie. Because of the wedding, things seem better than normal at the prison. Things seem great. Eventually, Tyreese, Andrea, Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, and Axel venture out to stock up on supplies from a National Guard station and an abandoned Wal-Mart. While they’re ...more
Justin
What a relief.

Seriously, after the parade of dumb that was This Sorrowful Life, I was fairly close to giving up on the series entirely. Considering how many more volumes there are, I wasn't willing to waste my time and money if the comic continued down that trajectory. Thankfully, this one returns to the quality of the earlier volumes, story-wise, and actually does a few things better.

After engineering a stalemate with the nearby Woodbury survivors, Rick and company dig further into their prison
jacky
If I had been paying attention to the title of this volume, then the ending wouldn't be as surprising. One thing I've come to like about this series is that the creators always save a nice punch for the last page. You know you are at the end because you feel it is the last sheet of paper in the book, and when you turn that page, it ends on a strong image.

This segment in the story had lots of small events: a wedding, the birth of Lori's baby, an excursion to get supplies, Dale's leg being injure
Lauren Stoolfire
The title of volume six is very accurate! Here Glenn and Maggie get married, Lorie finally has the baby, Dale gets the Herschel of the tv show treatment, Carol meets her fate (I definitely prefer tv Carol to comics Carol!), and the Governor (view spoiler)

So much happens in this volume and it's quite a turning point in the story! This is not a volume to miss!
Evey
These comics are my guilty pleasure. And even though I'm a fan of the tv show and I think that one's way better than the comics, I'm still enjoying them. Also, I'm glad about (view spoiler)
David Dalton
Love the ending! Read the comics that the tv series is based on. Well written.
Tanja Berg
I'm a little disturbed by how different events evolved in this volume in comparison to the tv series. Having only watched the latter, I started the comics somewhere approximately where the last tv episode ended. I recognize the setting, the characters and some of the events - but far from all. I'm glad I didn't start anywhere further. This is quite far enough to still have a remote chance to understand what actually happens. My goodness. Can't wait to read volume 8! So thankful I've got it right ...more
Sue Smith
Interestingly this one just had too much talk for me. Graphic novels have such a fine line to follow .... dialog to tell your story as well as the pictures ... but it's the graphic element that makes them what they are and 'fleshes' out fullness of the plot. This one had too much to read and not enough to see so it left me wanting.

Until the ending.

That was a total 'WTF? No way!!!!' moment for me.

I can't reiterate enough that I'm glad I'm not living in a zombie apocalypse. People just become assh
C.
Jordan
My initial thought after finishing Volume 7 was, ‘huh, there wasn’t a lot of violence in this one…” And then, later, is when I actually noticed the title, The Calm Before. Duh.

This installment has some fairly nice character development in it, most notably Carol and Dale, and to an extent, Billy. We see Carol's attempt at upholding an outer façade break; Dale succumb to jealousy; and Billy try to be an asset to the group, but end up failing.

With the Shane flashback that starts the novel, Lori an
Daniel
Obwohl den Comics der Reihe ein wenig die Tiefe der Charaktere abgeht, die in der Fernsehadaption für Quoten sorgt, steht die Gefühlswelt der Überlebendengruppe nicht still. Wobei "still" ohnehin für "bis zum zerreißen gespannt" stehen müsste. Nein.

In "Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm" schalten Robert Kirkman und Charlie Adlard auf der nach oben scheinbar offenen Blutfaktor-Skala einen Gang nach unten um jenem Schicksal ein wenig Raum zu geben, das mit Rick Grimes, seiner Frau und all den anderen Gefängn
Aaron
This was actually a nice relaxing read after the previous volume. Rick, Mishonne and the rest of the gang have returned from their horrible experiences being held by the Governor to the safety of the prison compound. Things seem to be settling in to a happy routine as they expand to more parts of the prison, the crops start coming up in the planted fields, and everyone is settling into their new friendships and families.

The book provides a nice transition point as readers see a wedding, the bir
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm (Fables, #2)
  • Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé
  • DMZ, Vol. 6: Blood in the Game
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 3: Animal Armies
More about Robert Kirkman...

The Walking Dead (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 09: Here We Remain
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 10: What We Become
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 The Walking Dead, Book One The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer

“Can't you just read the directions?”
“I could if I wasn't fueled by testosterone and stupidity, but where's the fun in that?”
9 likes