Start by marking “Conqueror” as Want to Read:
Conqueror

Conqueror (Time's Tapestry #2)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  435 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
When William of Normandy, whom history will call the Conqueror, rises to power, the fate of the land rests on actions inspired by the words found in an ancient scroll. It is known as The Prophecy, and it reveals secrets about the future.
Published August 7th 2007 by Ace Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Conqueror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conqueror

Christopher Taylor
The first book of this series did not hold my attention well, as it seemed to be a series of disconnected historical events with a weak prophecy storyline attempting to tie them together.

With this second volume in the series, the prophecy storyline is starting to make a bit more sense, and the narrative is becoming more a battle through history by competing forces tying it together rather than a chain of isolated incidents.

The vignettes of history are well handled enough, for the brief time they
Yasser Maniram
"And this is what you have brought me, this doggerel?" - King Alfred re: Prophecy, 184.

That quote, in a nutshell, encapsulates the plot. While this book was significantly easier for the reader to read, in contrast to the first book of the series, the multi-generational stories can play tricks on the reader's mind if they do not remain vigilant in paying attention.

Baxter is clearly a proficient author, and this book is further proof that he is a master when it comes to creating a stage to play th
Suzan
Feb 24, 2016 Suzan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You really need to read Emperor first. History still pretty on track in this one, though the characters talk a lot about the Weaver who is behind the prophecies, presumably someone from the future trying to change things. I happen to like this period almost as much as the Romans: this has episodes covering the last surviving "Roman", the Viking raid on Lindisfarne, King Alfred in the marshes, and the Battle of Hastings. The Prophecy is one uttered by Isolde from the last chapter of Emperor: it r ...more
David Usharauli
I came across this historical novel by Stephen Baxter at local library. I would say it is a very good novel to learn a little bit about British history from the fall of Roman Empire in the end of the 5th century to Norman conquest of England in 11th century.

Nice thing about this novel is the fact that even though author's description of living conditions and brutality of dark ages are very vivid, he still managed to make it "easy" to read and digestible for modern readers. Stephen Baxter managed
Mike Smith
Jul 29, 2011 Mike Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed this book more than the first in the series. The "Weaver" plot was explained a bit more and had a bit more presence in the narrative. We now have an idea what the Weaver is trying to accomplish, which was missing from the first book.

I also enjoyed the depiction of England as its population was invaded over and over again, and the slow changes in the population as a result of mixing with the Saxons, the Angles, the Danes, and the Norse. I was also impressed by the sense of history that
Vít
Druhý díl Baxterovy série začíná pádem římské Británie a saskou invazí a provádí nás přes vikinské nájezdy až k dobytí Anglie Vilémem Dobyvatelem. Čili stejně jako první díl musí obsáhnut velmi dlouhé období, nejde o příběh jednoho člověka.
Oproti prvnímu dílu ale jednotlivé části více drží pohromadě a daleko víc vyvstává na povrch spojovací linka v podobě proroctví o budoucnosti Británie a celého světa. Všechno to tak nějak začíná dávat větší smysl, zdá se, že se nám do děje začíná míchat sci-fi
J.L.
Mar 04, 2014 J.L. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-2014
I didn't connect very much with any of the characters, but I still enjoy Baxter's writing, and I'm going to slog through this series because I really do want to find out who/what the Weaver is. I will be the first to admit that I would probably have enjoyed this more if I'd known more (or anything) about this time period.

One thing is for certain: the majority of Baxter's characters continue to die horrible, devastating deaths.
Rory
Good fictional book covering Anglo-Saxon England in several parts, each a few hundred years apart. Like the first book in the series, there is a 'prophesy' that traces the course of the book, with the theory that some future person has sent this prophesy back in time to control the past.

(view spoiler)
Dana Claycomb
Jun 09, 2016 Dana Claycomb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great beginning to a fascinating series!
Ben Chenoweth
Another good historical novel, especially in the way it describes a fairly brutal period of the history of England, climaxing with the Battle of Hastings. (I especially enjoyed seeing the invention of "zero" come in!) The only problem with these longitudinal novels is that you have to connect to a whole new bunch of characters every time the novel jumps to a new time period. But the author does this fairly well. And now I am extremely suspicious about the mysterious "Weaver". Can't wait to find ...more
Fulvio
Mar 28, 2015 Fulvio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hooked..
Michael
Wasn't able too reach me. The idea is interesting. However the characters are introduced and once you know them a bit then Baxter jumps ahead in time to a point where the just introduced characters are dead. So he starts over again bringing in new personas. Because of that it is very difficult to connect with the plot and be intrigued by it. I will not go on reading this Time Tapestry series.
Jan Cerny
Asi nejslabší kniha, kterou jsem v posledních dnech četl - s kvalitou prvního dílu rozhodně srovnávat nedá. Nepopírám, že byl příběh napínavý. Byť ta doba nejspíše taková byla, je vše líčeno naturalisticky a brutálně. Samé vraždy, sekání údú, znásilňování a do toho tlupy násilnických opilců. Věřím, že by kniha měla po zfilmování obdobný úspěch jako Barbar Conan. Třetí díl by (snad) měl být lepší.
Steve James
Aug 30, 2012 Steve James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the Weaver series.
The story starts with the death of the last Roman and concerns the arrival of the Vikings, Norsemen and Saxons into Britain and ends in 1066.
As with the previous book the story follows the descendants involved in the Prophesy, the second delivered at the end of the previous book.
I found it more compelling than the first book.
Rick
Oct 18, 2008 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didja you know the NY Public Library has hundreds of copies of parts 1, 3 and 4, and NO copies of part 2. Weird. I had to track this down through the Brooklyn library. Even better than part 1, it takes place during the German and Scandinavian period in Britain (AD 600-1066), and concludes with the Battle of Hastings in which William the Conqueror might very well lose.
Megan Kelosiwang
This was a bit of a slog as there was just so much going on over a very long period of time. I got a bit bored in some of the complexities but saying that I did still enjoy. I kind of like the cameos of character from across the ages but it can be a bit confusing crossing over time.
Joel Sassone
Slightly better than the first book in the series because Baxter stays a bit longer with each generation of characters before moving to the next. Still not the best Baxter, but kudos for trying something new. A British history junkie would love this series. 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
Joel Sassone
Martinxo
Feb 22, 2010 Martinxo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, fiction, 2010
Another enjoyable episode from this historical trilogy. What I'm enjoying most about this series is the filling-in of some historical periods I've always been a big vague about. Good stuff, looking forward to the final instalment.
Robert
Apr 05, 2016 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. It gets a little samey toward the end. By the time you reach the Battle of Hastings you feel like you've done this before a few times, but it was good.

3/5 stars

Interested to see what the next book brings.
Topher
Just having trouble working up the enthusiasm for this series; it has at least 2 more books to go, but, the mcguffin from the first 2 is now done, so I'm at least a little curious to see how the 3rd is linked in.
Betsey
Nov 10, 2008 Betsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, historical
it was like watching the history channel computer animated reenactments. Entertaining but not high quality. Taught me some history, but more b/c it led me to look things up, not because it actually taught it.
Aaron
Another good book in the series. But i think the pace is starting to flag which is what i've typically discovered with S.Baxters work over anything more than a single entry
Dale
Jan 05, 2011 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We move on now to Vikings and Germans. That's what I'm talking about. Baxter waxes a bit more philosopically in this one too which adds to its enjoyment.
Tal
Jul 27, 2008 Tal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a continuation of Stephen Baxter's Time's Tapestry series, this book focuses on a Britain for whom the Romans are but a distant memory (roughly 400 - 1066 AD)
Anthony Sako
Benno
Jul 12, 2008 Benno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: j
Interesting book set in Britain from 607AD through to 1066, culminating in the Battle of Hastings. Historical/speculative fiction.
adrianoates
Jan 27, 2016 adrianoates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great portrayals of Danish invasions of Lindisfarne; Alfred the Great and the Battle of Hastings
Clare Mitchell
Interesting premise - as with the first book - but PLEASE DEAR GOD WHY WAS THERE SO MUCH RAPE!?!??!
Shawn
Feb 19, 2013 Shawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not as interesting as Emperor. research of the history fiction is impressive, though.
  • Kethani
  • Kill Your Idols: A New Generation of Rock Writers Reconsiders the Classics
  • Sunstorm (A Time Odyssey, #2)
  • The Battle of the Hammer Worlds (Helfort's War, #2)
  • Alternate Generals II
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • 1862
  • Furious Gulf (Galactic Center, #5)
  • Disaster Area
  • Stamping Butterflies
  • Other Earths
  • An Old Captivity
  • Lilies For Love (The Janna Mysteries, #3)
  • The Wishstone and the Wonderworkers (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #6)
20295
Stephen Baxter is a trained engineer with degrees from Cambridge (mathematics) and Southampton Universities (doctorate in aeroengineering research). Baxter is the winner of the British Science Fiction Award and the Locus Award, as well as being a nominee for an Arthur C. Clarke Award, most recently for Manifold: Time. His novel Voyage won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History Novel of the ...more
More about Stephen Baxter...

Time's Tapestry (4 books)
  • Emperor (Time's Tapestry, #1)
  • Navigator