Start by marking “Severed” as Want to Read:
Severed

Severed

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  915 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The Black Dahlia murder hit post-War Los Angeles like a bombshell . . . an impenetrable mystery-the haunting crown jewel of LAPD's "unsolved" murders. Even before her savage death, beautiful 22-year-old Elizabeth Short, an aspiring starlet and nightclub habitué, was known as the Black Dahlia-now a magnetic icon in American pop culture, an almost mythical symbol of noir Hol ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Amok Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Severed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Severed

Kascha
This book was the one I settled on to satisfy the Elizabeth Short portion of my ongoing fascination with Noir and True Crime and I am really REALLY glad I did. I've skimmed through some of the others, including those written by people who to me seem to be simply trying to cash in on the timeless mystery and open/unsolved status of the case by propping up all kinds of wacko confessions and stories. But this one comes from a completely different place altogether.

First of all, of all the people cla
Caitlin M.
Aug 19, 2011 Caitlin M. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Law Enforcement students/officials, historians, journalists, people with odd curiosities
Recommended to Caitlin by: Chris Pudlo
This is a must read for journalists and people working in the justice system. I was both amazed and horrified by how incredibly unorganized things were when it came to piecing together a case. Forensics did a piss poor job documenting the crime scene, there was tons of corruption and it was a jurisdictional nightmare.

Apparently, journalistic ethics at this time were optional. Reporters ran with whatever unconfirmed rumor story they felt like. One especially disturbing part of this book details a
Niki
I feel sorry for the people that are so invested in John Gilmore's crack theory and who on reading this book feel that for them, the Black Dahlia Murder is solved. Not only does he show ZERO respect for Elizabeth but he doesn't offer you any concrete evidence to back up his theories.Lots of anectodal stories but nothing of real substance. There are so many holes one could poke if they had actually done some research before reading this book. There is no plausible way that Anderson had the surgic ...more
Alex Severin
I've read several books on this subject and this is my favorite.

John Gilmore's painstaking research is evident. It is very aparent throughout this book that this case holds more than an ordinary journalistic interest for him.

Reading this book for the first time gave me a sense of Elizabeth Short as a real person and not just a dark, mysterious alias or a crime scene photograph. She became a person.

Some of the book is written in a prose style. I'm sure there is plenty of conjecture and a littl
Benjamin Rothman
I found that this book was an enjoyable read, even though it was a little confusing at times. More than once I found myself referencing previous chapters to see exactly who Gilmore was referring to or interviewing. The lack of concrete dates also made it a little difficult to follow at times.

On the other hand, it opened, and seemed to close, the door on a very gruesome murder. There is a sense of sorrow for Elizabeth Short, the victim - and at the same time, a sense of impartiality from the auth
Nicole de Carvalho
Jun 01, 2012 Nicole de Carvalho rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes a good mystery!
I’ve always been fascinated with the “Black Dahlia” case and have seen so many different cold case programs on this story. I was glad to finally be able to read the book and was very intrigued. This book provided a lot more detail than any TV show I’ve seen. I also enjoyed the uncensored pictures in the book and was not able to put the book down!
Jamie Severinski
Overall it was a good read. However, a good portion of the information was based on speculation and conjecture. For someone just getting into learning about the murder of Elizabeth Short (The Black Dahlia) I would suggest reading this book last when looking for information.
Lisa
Lots of interesting background on Elizabeth Short and her life. Flow of the book is choppy, distracting and confusing at times. Interesting final hypothesis on who the killer was.
Julie Whiley
I had seen the title of the book over the years and thought it was just some fictional or trumped up story about a long ago and small time movie star not worth my time but when I saw this version with the girls' actual picture it stuck in my mind and made me want to read it. It is a very haunting account of this girls short life and awful death. Her looks made her popular, but she danced to a dangerous tune of trusting everyone and anyone. The sheer fact that she remained alive as long as she di ...more
Jennifer Dumont
Ok style, horrific story, disappointing end.
Geoff Souder
Aside from the fact that the Ebook version of this book is riddled with typos, I found this book to be comprehensive and impartial. Living in Hollywood and knowing my fair share of desperate actors has allowed me to understand Elizabeth's somewhat dangerous lifestyle. The thing I like about it the most was that it used the available facts and some anecdotal stories that have been gathered over the years.

The fact is that we'll never know who murdered Elizabeth Short. The evidence that we have to
Tom Schulte
The gruesome story of the 1947 Black Dahlia murder is a disturbing, true tale that includes the shiftless drifters of a Jim Thompson novel, dysfunctional familial pasts of Faulknerian dimensions and ghoulish slaughter of horrific intensity. As with Gilmore's previous titles on the Manson Family (Garbage People also on Amok) and Arizona fiend Charles Schmid (The Tucson Murders, Dial), the author's own story is woven into that of the victims and low-lifes here through meetings both chance and arra ...more
Margaret McGlynn
You can't unsee the crime scene photos. The profile of the victim is haunting. Was she vixin, or pathetic victim? She managed to have the endemic misogyny of the era swirling about her like a cloak. Disturbing, and worth a read, if you are fascinated by this story. But it will scare you and maybe change you.
Deathmetalroze
This was an artfully-crafted true crime novel that I just couldn't put down. It was captivating, fascinating and treated me, the reader as if I were there or investigating this for myself, through presentations of evidence and little anecdotes throughout. The big secret about the Black Dahlia is danced around the entire time and when you figure it out, it all makes sense and it is UNBELIEVABLE! Unfortunately, I read this BEFORE the James Ellroy and seeing the movie, so those were HUGELY disappoi ...more
William Opdyke
This is one of the most horrific cases in Los Angeles' history. Many have tried to make money off of the story. This is the most detailed account and profile of Elizabeth Short's life I have read to date. It's also provides a pretty detailed accounting of the evidence. As far as I am concerned, John St. P John ( Jigsaw John ) solved this case.
Andy
I've read every Black Dahlia book I've ever found, and never been terribly impressed by any of them, except for this one. I can't reveal what makes this book so incredibly special without giving away the incredible ending (and remember, this is not fan-fic, this is true).

If you are at all interested in the sordid side of 1940s - 1970s Los Angeles, this book is an absolute must-read. In my opinion, this is the only book you need to read on the Black Dahlia.

PLUS John Gilmore is an awesome guy in h
Francoise
Aug 16, 2008 Francoise rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in true murder stories
Recommended to Francoise by: Read about it in the newspaper
Easy to understand why this murder continues to fascinate people. The story actually boils down to an unfortunate, beautiful young woman (the crux of many an enticing mystery!) who has been rejected by her father. She lives on the fringes of society during and after WWII when things were in transtition in the U.S. Living on the fringes proves to be a dangerous lifestyle for Elizabeth Short. You are left with a sad feeling when you finish this book. You definitely feel like you know her. The auth ...more
Leigh Anne
This is one of those unsolved cases that has always intrigued me. This book is well done, and I liked how it focused not only on Beth Short's brutal murder, but also on telling the story of her life leading up to her death. I appreciated the detail the author put into covering the information of the case, and I discovered things that I'd not known about the murder. The author makes a case for his favorite suspect, but I still feel it's something that we'll never know for certain. I recommend thi ...more
Nate
Gilmore's first-hand knowledge of the old Hollywood underworld brings a compelling realism to this horrific account of an infamous murder. I read this book at a point in my life when I was verging on nervous breakdown, mania and divorce. Gilmore's candidate for the Black Dahlia killer (and he makes a strong if unprovable case) coincidentally had the same name that I'd been using for the villain of some short stories. That pretty well freaked my shit.
J.M.
Provides a very in depth look at the Black Dahlia murder, including some speculation about the murderer himself, whom the author claims to have met. Didn't mention much about the killer's notes to the police and the press, and only linked one of the many similar unsolved crimes that happened around the same time with the case. Very detailed information on the autopsy reports and who Elizabeth Short was in life.
Miranda  McHenry
An incredible insight to the life of Elisabeth Short and what might have happened and who killed her.

After reading this book I felt really sad for her as it takes you through her life, her struggles, her dreams, and eventually her terrible ending.

Greatly written and an amazing read for anyone who wants to know about the Black Dahlia.
Alshia Moyez
I felt like the book left too many unanswered questions. Also, the ending was just one big question. I still got enjoyment out of the investigation aspects though, and medical reports. The "suspect" this author came up with wasn't convincing, and then of course....well, I won't ruin it for anyone. I enjoyed the book. I'll leave it at that.
Deborah
I went through this period of Macabre and this satisfied my curiosity. This book is less of a read and more of a flicker through morgue reports and actual photos of the crime scene. Keep in mind the pics are EXTREMELY GRAPHIC and made me feel stone cold after reading it piece by piece--no pun intended.
Hypnotoad
perhaps the creepiest book I've read...and I've read a few. The case the book makes for solving the Black Dahlia murder is open to doubt but it's convincingly presented. Dark and sorrowful--the book's main achievement is giving back the Black Dahlia her true identify as Elizabeth Short.
Alex
A good read, however Gilmore does not convince me as to the identity of the murderer. Having read Hodel's Black Dahlia Avenger, I still think it was Hodel senior who commited this hate crime. I call it a hate crime, as anyone who could do this must have really hated women.
Jenny
Wow, I'm not generally a true crime fan, but Gilmore's reporting of the events of the Black Dahlia murder was as riveting as any novel I have read. Just a warning, the pictures in the back are pretty gruesome! Otherwise, a great story of a twisted up young woman.
Trinity
If you are squeamish I would not recommend this book as it goes into some very gruesome details about the murder and it contains some autopsy photos. The story is interesting and I learned a lot of things about Beth Short and the man who most likely was her killer.
Katherine Reape
This book is amazing and informative . This book I think is more closely related to the dahlia case . I read a lot of different books on the case and this one seems more possible to what had happened to Elizabeth short.
Oscar
This is probably the closest we will ever come to a solution for the Black Dahlia murder and John Gilmore has put together a great book to cover both her life and the aftermaths of her death.
Shannon Miller
I never realized what a grisly murder this was and this book's pictures are shocking to see. After her murder, this book becomes very dry.
  • The Black Dahlia Files: The Mob, the Mogul, and the Murder That Transfixed Los Angeles
  • A Cast of Killers
  • The Family
  • The Ultimate Evil: The Truth about the Cult Murders: Son of Sam and Beyond
  • The Boston Strangler
  • Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-Of-The-Century Chicago
  • Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers. The Story of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
  • Death Scenes: A Homicide Detective's Scrapbook
  • The Complete Jack the Ripper
  • All She Wanted
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • She Wanted It All
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

John Gilmore was born in the Charity Ward of the Los Angeles County General Hospital and was raised in Hollywood. His mother had been a studio contract-player for MGM while his step-grandfather worked as head carpenter for RKO Pictures. Gilmore's parents separated when he was six months old and he was subsequentl
More about John Gilmore...
Laid Bare: A Memoir of Wrecked Lives and the Hollywood Death Trip L.A. Despair: A Landscape of Crimes & Bad Times Manson: The Unholy Trail of Charles and the Family: The Unholy Trail of Charlie and the Family Inside Marilyn Monroe Live Fast-Die Young: My Life With James Dean