Start by marking “Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond

Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond

Michael Nyman's book is a first-hand account of experimental music from 1950 to 1970. First published in 1974, it has remained the classic text on a significant form of music making and composing that developed alongside, and partly in opposition to, the postwar modernist tradition of composers such as Boulez, Berio, or Stockhausen. The experimentalist par excellence was J ...more
Published August 6th 2014 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Experimental Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Experimental Music

J.L. Flores
Jul 06, 2016 J.L. Flores rated it really liked it
Excelente, antes de cualquier cosa debo aclarar yo nunca he sido músico ni mucho menos, hago ruidos y trato de contar historias sin decir palabras, lo contrario que hago en los libros.

Este libro me sirvió para ganar autoestima sobre lo que estaba haciendo, entender que mezclar escalas no estaba mal y podía arreglarmelas con mis manos chicas, y el parkinson. No es un manual para hacer música, pero si una forma distinta de entender el viaje musical.

Quizás para los más estudiosos sea algo superfi
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Feb 06, 2008 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all serious musicians
Shelves: music
I estimate that I read this bk in the fall of 1976. I must've read it before the spring of 1978 b/c by then I knew who Nyman was & eagerly attended a concert of his in London during that time. Alas, I found the concert quite boring - it was bland 'new tonality' minimalism. Oh well.. Nonetheless, this bk was the most important bk I'd read on the subject at the time & I was very inspired by it. It still sticks w/ me the way formative experiences do.
David
Apr 23, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
I'm guessing that it was 1993 or so when I read this; whenever it was, it was a major turning point in the development of my thinking about music - my first encounter with so many of the great composers of the mid 20th century, and my first real immersion in the concept of "experimental music". Essential reading.
Ola Loobeensky
Cage, Cage i po Cage'u

Kiedy oglądasz horror i słyszysz kwestię: "Czy na pewno nic nam się nie stanie?" (w domyśle: jeżeli wejdziemy do tego starego, samotnego domu w środku lasu), to najwyższy czas na zakrycie oczu. Istnieją kategorie stwierdzeń oraz momentów tak akuratnie pasujących do siebie nawzajem, że ich wspólna obecność nie nastręcza większych wątpliwości. Pojawi się jeden, nastąpi i drugi. Stąd moja niemal absolutna pewność, która narodziła się mniej-więcej w chwili rozpakowywania książk
Amari
Nov 17, 2007 Amari rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Dull. Academic in the worst way. A prime example of why I hate reading about music. Nyman appeals from the outset, and not very subtlely, to readers' sense of social egalitarianism and differentiates between so-called "experimental" music and so-called "avant-garde" music, implying that the former is superior because of experimental composers' ability to accept the sovereignty of all sounds, whether intentional or not. It's better to just read some John Cage and form one's own opinions of post-W ...more
Owen K
Jan 03, 2016 Owen K rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Interesting in parts but in general of far more use to sound artists than composers.
Chris
Jan 14, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Read this with Christophe Cox and Dan Warner in 2001. Along with Jhn Cage's Silence and Morton Feldman's writing, it got me going down a totally different path than i could have imagined, in terms of both my listening and playing. I'm grateful to it for that, but honestly haven't returned to it since.
Brian
Aug 12, 2008 Brian rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People interested in the old days of experimental music
This book was okay. I like a lot of the music related to the movements discussed. Some of the aleatoric musical games discussed were really cool. Overall though this was not a book that I felt driven to finish (though I did do so). I dunno, it just wasn't anything special.
Caroline Picard
Nov 16, 2009 Caroline Picard rated it liked it
I didn't finish this book, but I continue to pick it up and read passages and put it down again. It was a great way for me to start thinking about experimental music and there were some interesting exercises/pieces outlined inside.
Shane M
Oct 13, 2015 Shane M rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on the major areas of development in composed experimental music after WWII. Clearly written without oversimplifying and without placing value judgements on the varied movements and approaches.
Penny
Feb 12, 2009 Penny rated it liked it
Yet another revisit...
Aliaksei Liutsich
Aliaksei Liutsich marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Thomas Feng
Thomas Feng marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Sukey Darlinton
Sukey Darlinton rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Jorge
Jorge rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Susan Wolf
Susan Wolf marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Katie Caton
Katie Caton rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Jen Laski
Jen Laski marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Christopher Casuga
Christopher Casuga marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Brandon Mausler
Brandon Mausler marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Karlo
Karlo marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Asma Ghanem
Asma Ghanem marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
eric
eric marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Daniel Arom
Daniel Arom marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Rui Carvalho
Rui Carvalho marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Vladimir Djekic
Vladimir Djekic marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
  • Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds
  • Undercurrents: The Hidden Wiring of Modern Music
  • Noise/Music: A History
  • Brian Eno: His Music And The Vertical Color Of Sound
  • The Ambient Century: From Mahler to Trance: The Evolution of Sound in the Electronic Age
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • Radiohead and Philosophy: Fitter Happier More Deductive
  • A Year With Swollen Appendices
  • Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science
  • Silence: Lectures and Writings
  • Formalized Music: Thought and Mathematics in Composition (Harmonologia Series, #6)