Start by marking “Who Was Dr. Seuss?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Dr. Seuss?

Who Was Dr. Seuss? (Who Was/Is...?)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  1,081 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
Ted Geisel loved to doodle from the time he was a kid. He had an offbeat, fun-loving personality.

He often threw dinner parties where guests wore outrageous hats! And he donned quirky hats when thinking up ideas for books, like his classic The Cat in the Hat.

This biography, with black-and-white illustrations throughout, brings an amazingly gifted author/illustrator to life
Published July 7th 2011 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Dr. Seuss?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Dr. Seuss?

Mischenko
Jan 22, 2017 Mischenko rated it really liked it
Who Was Dr. Seuss is a perfect chapter book for kids and others to learn about Dr. Seuss and his life. It includes lots of facts and illustrations, including a time line in the back of important dates. 4****
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 22, 2017 Montzalee Wittmann rated it it was amazing
Who Was Dr. Seuss? by Janet B. Pascal is an excellent story that answered so many questions I had about the man and then some! How did he get his name? Why did he write kid books? What got him started with the silliness? It is explained so well in this book. Why the DR.? Great book, loved it and love/loved Dr. Seuss!
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Mar 02, 2016 Kathy Worrell ツ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
10 stars!!!!

Dr. Seuss was a truly remarkable man!

If you enjoy reading his books, I highly recommend this short story on his life!

Now, I want to run out and buy all of his books!

An interesting quote: "I may doodle a couple of animals. If they bite each other, it's going to be a great book."

One of my favorite quotes:"A person's a person no matter how small."

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!!!
Laima
Apr 25, 2013 Laima rated it it was amazing
I grew up reading many books written and illustrated by Dr.Seuss and then re-read them with my own children. They are classics. The Grinch and The Cat in The Hat are probably my favourite characters.

Theodor Seuss Geisel was an American author and illustrator who spoke English and German. He was called Ted by his family and friends but everybody knew him simply as Dr. Seuss.

He led a very interesting life and had many achievements. This short biography includes mention of his 2 Oscar wins, a Puli
Jonathan
Mar 17, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
A wonderful account of the man that revolutionized children's reading forever.
Debbie Reiber
Feb 04, 2013 Debbie Reiber rated it it was amazing

Who is Dr. Suess? by Janet B. Pascal is a biography of the life of the children’s book writer Dr. Suess. The age group this book is intended for is intermediate to advance. The book described a little about Theodor Suess Geisel’s aka Dr. Suess’s childhood. But it really described how Dr. Suess started writing children’s literature and why he was so good at it.
I really think Pascal did an excellent job with the detail and explaining some history of Dr. Suess’ era to help children understand the w
Mari Anne
Mar 15, 2015 Mari Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
I almost hate to admit that this short and sweet biography made me tear up a little. What a wonderful life he had and what a wonderful author. This easy to read biography is perfect for anyone but is really great for grades 3-6!
Anthony Mitchell
The term truth is stranger than fiction applies to this wonderful biography/picture book/chapter book about Theodor Suess Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss. This man's life was as interesting and colorful as the characters in his books. Ted was born in 1904,in Springfield Massachusetts to German immigrants. His mother owned a bakery and his dad was president of a brewery. Ted believed his love of verse came from memories of pie poems his mom taught him. Ted was shy and it was hard for him to get up and s ...more
Sammy Holthaus
Dec 01, 2014 Sammy Holthaus rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I found out so many things about Dr. Seuss and about the books he has written. I would have to say this is one of my favorite non-fiction books I've ever read. The topic suited my personality perfectly. First of all I like to draw and use my imagination. And second of all, the obvious one Dr.Seuss is the best author!!!! As a kid I always read Dr. Seuss. In fact my baby cousins room theme is Dr. Seuss. If you like drawing and being creative this is just the book for you. It is also a ...more
Madissen
Apr 19, 2016 Madissen rated it it was amazing
I liked that book because I always was intresting in him so I really wanted to learn about him I learneds a lot about him
Maryam
Nov 11, 2016 Maryam rated it it was amazing
A remarkable man, I wish I read his stories when I was a child.
The book was great I'm going to read the rest of the series and definitely planning to read all Dr. Seuss books.
Kayla H. Hoard
Nov 29, 2014 Kayla H. Hoard rated it really liked it
Theodor Seuss Giesel was born in Springfield Massachusetts on March 2, 1904. As a boy, he loved to go to the zoo and draw silly animals. Ted's parents came from Germany and during WWI, he was bullied at school for being a German-American. Ted didn't pay a lot of attention to his schoolwork and mainly focused on writing jokes and drawing for the school newspaper, so when it came time for him to decide on which college to go to, He chose Dartmouth in New Hampshire. When he got there he discovered ...more
Earl
Jan 01, 2015 Earl rated it really liked it
A couple years ago, I decided to read all of Dr. Seuss's books. I felt I had been missing something by not having done so sooner. The whole experience just cemented the fact he was a literary genius and no wonder he's such a favorite of kids and grown-ups!

I had been wanting to read more juvenile non-fiction and last year took on the Non-fiction Picture Book (NFPB) challenge, which I enjoyed very much. I wanted to continue it this year and extend it to include MG and YA.

The Who Was/Is...? series
Daniel Middleton
Sep 27, 2015 Daniel Middleton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
I'm the father of a nine-year-old girl, and I read this book (for myself) in one sitting. I am also a children's book author and illustrator so I read it not only to see if it would be appropriate for and of topical interest to my daughter, but also for personal enjoyment. I was not disappointed. The book's narrative flies by it so riveting, and the various aspects of his life are presented in simple chunks in a chapter-by-chapter package that older children will be able to process on their own. ...more
Jessica
Nov 21, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is written at a level that can be easily understood by young adults. This book gives the reader a glance into the life of Dr. Seuss. It also mentions how he developed the characters in his books. It also clarified any terminology that young adults could/would stumble upon as they read this book. Would highly recommend this book to anyone.
Sue
Apr 22, 2016 Sue rated it it was amazing
I never memorized any passage from a "children's book" except something from Dr. Seuss. My favorite was about the Sneetches and I will remember it until I die:

The star-bellied Sneetches had bellies with stars
The plain-bellied Sneetches had none upon thars

Those stars weren't so great, they were really quite small
You might think that they wouldn't have mattered at all.
Cheryl
Jul 30, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Dr. Seuss is probably the first author any child is aware of. He certainly was for me. I remember making green eggs and ham in preschool. :p
Maryam aloumi
Nov 21, 2016 Maryam aloumi rated it it was amazing
oh, the places you'll go!
Tyresa F.
Jan 28, 2015 Tyresa F. rated it it was amazing
this book was about the life of dr.seuss
Tanner J.
November
Who Was Dr.Seuss
Janet B. Pascal

The book, Who Was Dr.Seuss, is about the journey or life of the children's book author, Dr.Seuss. In this book he learns early in his life he loves animals, and drawing. Dr.Seuss ended up wanting to be an author for children's books early on in his life. As he got older he got married to his college girlfriend and set out to be an author of children's books. He struggled a lot when he first started. So, he had to take an advertising job. He drew illustrati
Kristine
Title: Who Was Dr. Seuss?

Author: Janet Pascal

Illustrator: Nancy Harrison

Genre: Biogrpahy

Theme: Fun, informative

Opening line/sentence: “In 1985, Princeton University awarded honorary degrees to six people.”
Brief Book Summary: This book tells the story of Ted Geisel, Dr. Seuss and how he became the passionate, well-known children’s author. He was a fun-loving man who loved to host dinner parties with friends, and at these dinner parties most guests would wear fun hats. These hats inspired most of
jACK
Nov 16, 2016 jACK rated it liked it
I didn't mind this book. It started off pretty fast. But in some parts it was boring. Overall a good book
Brandee
Feb 09, 2017 Brandee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved this book!! I love Dr. Seuss books but I always wondered where he started and how he got his amazing ideas. Such a great and quick book to read to learn about a superb author!!
Joanne Zienty
Nov 22, 2016 Joanne Zienty rated it really liked it
Love this series of biographies for children!
Paige Soule
Nov 27, 2016 Paige Soule rated it really liked it
Interesting facts about Theo, nicely done for the younger group.
Linda Branich
I am finding these Who? What? Where? books for older elementary children fascinating. Grossest & Dunlap's claim that the books in this series is a headquarters for history is absolutely true. Their link is www.whohq.com.

Who Was Dr. Seuss? was no disappointment.

Ted Geisel led an interesting life, and the fact that his birthday is celebrated in schools today is a testament to the influence he had on children's literature. He had several honorary degrees bestowed on him and won a Pulitzer Priz
Monica
Jan 02, 2017 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I picked up this book after coming across it while returning books while working at the library.

I have to admit I haven't actually read that many Dr Seuss books, but this looked interesting from the blurb on the back, also it was short so I gave it a read.

I enjoyed the style and bits of information about the man behind Dr Seuss and although it's a children book I thought it did a good job at showing what sort of person Dr Seuss was and how he became the childrens' author known throughout the wor
Diressa Belcher
Who was Dr. Suess? Dr. Suess was a literary geuius who changed children's literature forever! Theodor Suess Geisel had a humble upbringing. He was from German dissent. He faced adversity at a early age. Children often teased him because of his German heritage during World War I. Theodor loved word play. He got this love from his mother. She made up funny words out of pie flavors from her family bakery. Ted eventually went to Dartmouth University. He fit in quite well. One day he threw a party. H ...more
Andrea
Who was Dr. Suess? is a biography on Dr. Suess. It talks about his struggles and inspirations as a writer. I think it would be a fun book for students to read since Dr. Seuss is such a well known author. It could be a good topic for a research or project for fourth or fifth graders.
Jordan Yetzer
Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss books? This book follow the genius himself and how he cam up with his amazing books. I think this book would be good for students who love him as an author. It would be good for younger elementary students.
  • Who Was Jim Henson?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Who Was Elvis Presley?
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Roald Dahl?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
  • Who Was Babe Ruth?
  • Who Was Jackie Robinson?
Janet Pascal, author of many YA biographies and Viking’s senior copy-editor, lives in New York, New York.
More about Janet B. Pascal...

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 128 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?