Start by marking “Sucker Bet (Vegas Vampires, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sucker Bet (Vegas Vampires, #4)

Sucker Bet (Vegas Vampires #4)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  3,190 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
A night of indulgence can feel like an eternity.

Gwenna Carrick has a history-900 years of it. As the vampiress ex-wife of the notorious vampire Roberto Donatelli, she must keep a low profile. Not easy when you're bathed in the neon glow of Las Vegas--especially when there's a whole online group of vampire slayers bent on dealing you your last hand.

A wild night with a stra
Paperback, First Edition, 296 pages
Published January 2nd 2008 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sucker Bet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sucker Bet

Jilly
Gwenna is the Eeyore of the vampire world. Everything bad has happened to her, and the bad things just keep coming. Now, she is involved in a murder-mystery.

Well, her tears are bloody, so she would probably just attract sharks...

The good news is that Gwenna meets a hottie cop during the police investigation. The bad news: her ex-husband kills the guy.

Well, it could have been her that got killed. That would be worse, right? ...meh..

And then, to make things worse, there are those who are trying to
Cindyg
Nov 14, 2010 Cindyg rated it really liked it
This was the final book in the series, I think, and it was another winner. But I have to admit that this series could definitely continue, as it really didn't finish things up.
A lot of unanswered questions.
I really enjoyed each of the stories, this was Gweena and Nate's story and I really liked Nate, for a mortal he was pretty cool, and handsome and hot.
Highly recommend.
Kathy Davie
Nov 15, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, paranormal
Fourth in the Vegas Vampires paranormal romance series based in Vegas and revolving around Ethan Carrick and the people, I mean, vampires, he loves.

My Take
It's a fun and fluffy beach read about a woman finally coming into her own...after 900 years. Shaking loose the eleventh-century morality she grew up with, Gwenna takes matters into her own hands and finally tells Roberto exactly what she thinks. And about the daughter he never knew.

The Story
Gwenna is spreading her wings and exploring this
Sarah's Book Blog
Mar 18, 2012 Sarah's Book Blog rated it it was amazing
What an awesome 4th installment. A lot of times the more you read of a series you get a little bored. This book wasn't in anyway boring. It was laugh out loud funny at times, has some pretty awesome steamy scenes and then action. I love that you get to see what the other characters are doing as well. Erin McCarthy is such an amazing author. I am also reading her Fast Track series and WOW. She knows how to keep her audience hooked.
In the 4th book Sucker Bet you learn more about 900yr old vampire
Melindeeloo
Mar 29, 2010 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
I've been waiting forever to find Sucker Bet used and it was well worth the wait. I think that this is the final book in the Vegas Vampire series and I really liked both of the leads vamp Gwenna Carrick - the delicate sheltered sister of vamp president Ethan and ex-wife to mafiaso-like vamp Roberto Donatelli- and human cop Nate Thomas.

Sucker bet was a very steamy addition to the series. Gwenna and Nate get hot and heavy quickly and often but still manage to make an emotional connection in betwe
Amanda
Apr 15, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun,light,Vampire read.
Recommended to Amanda by: Books 1,2,and 3 :o)
Shelves: erin-mccarthy
This was a much needed improvment from book 3. I liked Gwenna and Imust say her and Nate were pretty much on fire if you know what I mean. But yet again there are some things I wish had been diffrent. The issues Gwenna had with Dona-freaking-telli got on my nerves. I wanted so badly for her realize how she was hold herself back with these issues and how much and terrible person he was. Then There was Kelsey the idiot with the crumby boyfriend turned husband. I think in this book you got a better ...more
Jess
Feb 19, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
This was the end of the series (as far as I'm aware) and it ended on the same note as the first book began on. Lighthearted comedy with interesting and quirky characters combined with some hot and sexy scenes. Perfect for me!! I like that Mccarthy can be funny and write entertaining characters without trying too hard. When I find myself giggling aloud at a book, that's awesome and I found myself doing that a lot throughout this series. I would recommend these books to anyone who enjoys lighthear ...more
Andrea Jackson
Dec 22, 2011 Andrea Jackson rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable. Vampires in Las Vegas, which seems to be a familiar setting these days. A rich, sheltered vampire girl falls for a mortal police detective who's investigating a series of murders that seem to be connected to her.

Characters extremely likeable. Part of a series but the side characters were easy enough to keep up with their relationships. Ms. McCarthy does a good job of keeping all those storylines together. And still the main one was compelling.
Catherine Crook
Jan 01, 2013 Catherine Crook rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal-love
I enjoyed this series, but was shocked when I went to the author's website to hear the series was complete. This book did not end like the end of a series normally does. Maybe I am missing a short story wrap-up. I shall do more research! But, I enjoyed the Vegas Vampires series!
Amy
May 28, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Aurian Booklover
Feb 04, 2013 Aurian Booklover rated it it was amazing
Gwenna is 900 years old, and she recently moved to Las Vegas, to her brother’s hotel after living alone in a deserted Welsh castle for 300 years since her divorce. She enjoys computers and modern things, but she is still shy, and that will have to change. She is tired of being controlled by men, her brother and her ex-husband, and wants a new life for herself. She has become a member of the Slayers loop on the internet, since her sister in law Alexis told her about it. She still thinks they form ...more
Paranormal Romance
When the hero first meets the heroine he think her to be a dumb blonde. But in fact she's just trying to cover her tracks. As a vampire, she's lived over 900 years but spent 300 of those years locked up in a castle after suffering a breakdown over the death of her daughter. She went to meet a man in a train stain after talking to him online when she meets the hero, a detective, who's called to a murder in said train station. They go their separate ways until meeting again in the hospital. She's ...more
constance
I really really wanted to like this book because I really like some of Erin McCarthy's other work . I was disappointed with the previous book in this series, so I was hoping this one would be an improvement. I'm happy to say it was an improvement over Bled Dry, but it was still not up to par with a lot of her previous work. There were some good things, I really like the storyline with the main characters Gwenna and Nate, it was a sweet, cute, happily ever after, with a little mystery thrown in. ...more
Night Owl  Reviews
Jan 31, 2008 Night Owl Reviews rated it it was amazing
www.nightowlromance.com

Gwenna Carrick just wants to move on with her life. After all she’s been divorced from her controlling vampire husband, Roberto Donatelli, for 300 years. You would think a man would move on by now! Gwenna is a 900-year-old vampire but she tries to keep her blood sucking ways a secret from mortals. Gwenna is part of a Vampire Slayers’ loop online who are determined to kill as many vampires as possible. Gwenna enjoys having her ears open to her enemies and what better way th
Angie
Jul 26, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, read-2013
I was hoping that this book would be focused on Kelsey. She's had an ongoing story through the previous three, and I do think she and Ringo had potential. They have a lot of problems that would be interesting to read more about it, but instead this one is about Gwenna, Ethan's sister. We don't know much about her other than she's been living alone in a castle for hundreds of years after her three century marriage to Donatelli. Now she's starting to let go and live life. She even starts up a hot ...more
Kelly
Sep 05, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
I really like the whole Las Vegas series especially the first one, "High Stakes" but I have to say McCarthy's whole introducing the characters then giving their life story right after gets tiring and boring rather quickly.

I like that she keeps bringing the characters introduced in other books back so we can see how they're doing (i.e Ethan & Alexis) but I really didn't like how each character had a mini recap with them- I mean, yeah, I know this is the 4th book of the series and some people
Kittiya
May 12, 2009 Kittiya rated it really liked it
I happen to like book four much better then the first three. Gweena is now by far my Favorite in the series. She learns a lot about herself and gains independence for the first time in 900 yrs. I wasn't sure which way Nate was going to go. If he was to be a new person added in... Or if he would make a different choice and be gone. Thankfully he is staying for now. Oh Kelsey by the way has dropped even lower in my opinion. Does she really have to stay with such a jerk? The book is fantasy after a ...more
Michelle
First let me say that this was the first book I read in this series... I love Erin McCarthy. I was told that I didn't necessarily need to read all of the books in the series to understand what was going on as the author provided just the right amount of background that the reader didn't get lost. Apparently my friend was not talking about this reader. I got the gist of what was going on and although I didn't need to read the other books I think it would be have been helpful to truly understand w ...more
Amanda
While this book was not as good as the first two books in this series it was better than the third. I enjoyed Gwenna as the heroine and I have to admit, the sex between her and Nate was HOT. However, her weakness when it came to Donatelli was annoying and I wished she had realized how evil he was before the end of the book. Her blindness when it came to him held her back. And there was the Kelsey issue again, although she did leave her scumy husband she of course came back to him again. It was b ...more
Rebecca (Bec)
Once again i loved this as a bit of light reading while waiting for my other books to arrive that i have ordered. I am actually really dissapointed that the next two of this series are short reads and anthologies and I hope Erin decides to bring out another full size novel.

Sucker bet had the opposite effect with the old fashioned girl (screaming to become a modern independent women) Gwenna, and a modern man, police detective Nate. This was differnt then the other books where the males are genera
Reminiscent
May 18, 2013 Reminiscent rated it liked it
for the most part i really enjoyed this whole series. I enjoyed most of the characters in all the books and the plots... i liked how everything was connected.

for this book maybe my 2nd fav in the series i enjoyed it right up until the end...it was way to rushed
the whole book was building up to the end and then swoosh its over in a second

you know in all 3 books i want to like Ringo...really i do. I want him to get better and work his shit out. After what he did to Kelsey after all the help she
Adriana
Mar 21, 2013 Adriana rated it really liked it
Definitely a fun and light read with strong elements romance and cop-procedural thrown into the mix to make it hard to put down.
Gwenna is lovable and relatable. I particularly loved the fact that she seemed to be stuck in the mindset of having to act like the lady she was when alive and seeing how she came out of her shell and started having fun.
Nate isn’t there just to make the story steamy (and boy does he ever!), he’s an emotional connection and motivation for Gwenna. He’s fully fleshed out,
Amy
Jan 05, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
I love this series! This is the story (#4 in the Vegas Vampires series) of Gwenna, a 900+ year old vampire who falls for [human] Detective Nate Thomas after she finds a body at a monorail station in Vegas.

As the vampiress ex-wife of vampire mob boss, Roberto Donatelli, she has to keep a low profile. He just cannot understand why after 3 centuries she wants to maintain their divorce.

When Donatelli catches wind of the tryst, he's determined to clean house, with Nate the first on his to-off list. G
Cindy
Feb 13, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, 4-stars, vampire
Erin McCarthy has a writing style I like. This series about Vampires is great to read. The fast track series I like even better.
This book is about Gwenna, who has been living for centuries in York and has now moved to the hotel from her brother in Vegas. Unfortunately there she meets her ex-husband again, who wants her back, but she doesn’t want that at all.
To do something with her time she has joined a forum with vampire slayers. When she is going to meet somebody from the forum, he doesn’t com
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
What a gem of a book!!! Absolutely LOVED it!!! I loved Gwenna's character & I loved her relationship with Nate. This was a fast read because I found myself deeply engrossed in the storyline. I loved the Vegas setting, I loved the steamy relationship with Nate & Gwenna, & I loved the murder mystery & I loved the ending! I am going to be reading the rest of the series beginning with the first book. I am sure I missed a lot of good info that was peek-a-boo'd in this book.

Highly reco
Diana
Jan 12, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it
Gwenna is a 900-year-old vampire and is also the ex-wife of her brother's nemesis, Roberto Donatelli. While in Vegas investigating strange murders, she finds herself drawn to detective Nate Thomas, and might find herself finally getting over her ex and finding love again.

Gwenna is a little less relatable than other McCarthy heroines, but she still shines. The struggles with her ex are a bit uncomfortable, but she and Nate go well together.
Victoria
Oct 08, 2010 Victoria rated it it was amazing
 ♥ Rainy Day Reader ♥
Despite the ongoing saga of Kelsey and her druggy hubby I am giving this book 5 stars... because I loved the relationship between Gwenna and Nate. It was so sweet. I'm glad Gwenna finally got to see Roberto's true colors. At the start of the book I was afraid it was them getting back together and I was just sick by the idea. Whew! The whole ending with the vampire slayers loop was a big surprise to me at least.
Jenn Cordeiro
Jan 16, 2010 Jenn Cordeiro rated it really liked it
This one was WAY better than the 3rd one. But shocker.... she turns her mortal boyfriend into vampire, at least they didn't get married like the last 3 books.

But, I really enjoyed this book, I would love to read the next one... if there is one?

I still want more Alexis and Ethan. They aren't in it NEARLY enough.
Molly Frenzel
I liked this 4th installment of the Vegas Vamp series just as much as the last 3. I really enjoyed the character of Gwenna and watching her come out of her shell and shed the centuries old traditions that had been ingrained into her. Gwenna's super-sexy romance scenes with Detective Nate were hot and worth the read.
  • Sucker for Love (Dead End Dating #5)
  • Out of the Light, Into the Shadows (Includes: Vegas Vampires, #6 & #7)
  • Don't Talk Back To Your Vampire (Broken Heart #2)
  • I Only Have Fangs for You (Young Brothers, #3)
  • Real Vampires Get Lucky (Glory St. Clair, #3)
  • Lady & the Vamp (Immortality Bites, #3)
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #3.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Romancing the Dead (Garnet Lacey, #3)
  • Last Vampire Standing (Oldest City Vampire, #2)
USA Today and New York Times Bestselling author Erin McCarthy sold her first book in 2002 and has since written almost fifty novels and novellas in teen fiction, new adult, and adult romance. Erin has a special weakness for New Orleans, tattoos, high-heeled boots, beaches and martinis. She lives in Ohio with her family, two grumpy cats and a socially awkward dog.
More about Erin McCarthy...

Vegas Vampires (5 books)
  • High Stakes (Vegas Vampires, #1)
  • Bit the Jackpot (Vegas Vampires, #2)
  • Bled Dry (Vegas Vampires, #3)
  • Out of the Light, Into the Shadows (Includes: Vegas Vampires, #6 & #7)