Start by marking “Everywhere Present: Christianity in a One-Storey Universe” as Want to Read:
Everywhere Present: Christianity in a One-Storey Universe

Everywhere Present: Christianity in a One-Storey Universe

Have you ever referred to God as “the Man upstairs”? Most Christians living in a secular society have unwittingly relegated God and all things spiritual to the “second storey” of the universe: a realm we cannot reach except through death. The effect of this is to banish God, along with the saints and angels, from our everyday lives.

In Everywhere Present, popular blogger an
Published February 2011 by Conciliar Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Everywhere Present, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everywhere Present

Brian Glass
Mar 18, 2012 Brian Glass rated it it was amazing
father Stephen is the man who had the most profound impact on my journey to Orthodoxy. This book is a unified vision based on thoughts he has shared in his blog over the years. For me these thoughts are life changing.
Nathan Duffy
Oct 13, 2012 Nathan Duffy rated it really liked it
Excellent, breezy read. Rich content on the Orthodox antidote to the false dichotomy of sacred and secular, introduced by modernity and which infects much of contemporary Christianity in ways blatant and subtle. Highly readable.. knocked it out in a day, and I'm not the fastest reader.
James Andersen
The book is alright, mighty short but the information it provides ought to help inform the correct way of looking at the spiritual realm rather than the modern way which is a poison on the persons spiritual health and development. I liked this book for its support of Classical Christianity over than modern and Protestant understanding that has lost ALL bearing resembling anything that Christ taught and sought to show us.
Christian Fauerso
Feb 04, 2015 Christian Fauerso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: orthodox
This is a fantastic, enjoyable, profound and yet brief little book. I would highly suggest it to anyone who calls themselves a Christian in today's world. Fr. Stephen Freeman shows how secularist thought has crept its way into much of our modern theology. This is one that you should not pass up.
David
Nov 10, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
Short yet pithy, and merits the back-to-back readings I gave it.
Samantha (AK)
Some years ago, when I was in college, I started listening to Fr. Stephen Freeman's podcast series, the same that eventually became this book. It shook me, and I was caught, but classes beckoned, and an the rush I found that I 'didn't have time' to finish listening to it.

Despite that, I'm not sure I would have been ready for it. This slim volume--easily readable in a day, though I wouldn't recommend it--is full of hard and challenging truths about the classical Christian understanding of the nat
Jane
Nov 28, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion

The first time I read this, I thought it was remarkable but put it aside after awhile. Some of the concepts were difficult and I didn't fully grasp them.

Now I have re-read it . I am careful not to give five stars except on the rarest of occasions. This is one. It isn't necessary to be Eastern Orthodox to find this book meaningful. It has given me a new perspective -- not of the head, but the heart and soul. I will always treasure it and I know I have been changed by it.
Hyacinth
Nov 10, 2016 Hyacinth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: orthodoxy
I had to get quiet to read this book and really "hear" it. This book blessed me and was not intimidating and overwhelming. It introduces you to Orthodoxy in baby steps. When I finished reading it, I closed the book and bowed my head and felt peace and a sense of clarity. I look forward to more reading and more understanding as I stretch and grow in my faith.
Bill Stevens
Oct 10, 2016 Bill Stevens rated it it was amazing
An easy to read and highly digestible discourse on how secularism, in the modern Christian culture, has relegated God out of our daily lives - the consequence of which is the decline of Christian culture. Unlike other reads that tend to simply state the cause this one seeks to interject some solutions at the conclusion of the text that are certainly applicable across the Christian spectrum.
Gregory
May 14, 2014 Gregory rated it really liked it
For decades now, modern churchmen have regularly reminded Christians how deeply our faith has been compromised by our capitulation to the pervasive secularism of the larger culture. Fr. Freeman is, as his bio states, especially interested in “engaging modern culture from within the Traditions of the Church” and Everywhere Present is part of what he sees as a missionary effort.

He stakes out his position early on:

I have come to think of this modern cultural construct as the “two-storey universe.”
Stuart
Feb 07, 2013 Stuart rated it really liked it
Fr. Freeman is a blogger, like me, and a podcaster. His blog and podcast series share the same name, "Glory to God," and from my knowledge of listening and transcribing a few of his podcasts for Ancient Faith Radio, they share the same content as well. You should give one or both a chance.They do not disappoint in timely content as it relates to Orthodoxy and the current culture.

"Everywhere Present" is a short book, which discusses how our secular society has relegated God to a separate realm of
Scott
Where is God in our daily lives? Why is God absent from our lives 'here' on Earth? Even if you are a regular church-goer and believe you really have a grasp on things, I guarantee you will find a new perspective in this book. The message here is expressed very well in the book description below, so I'll not say much more. But in a world where the views and consequences of secularism have saturated our lives and changed even the way our minds work, books such as this are extremely important in ...more
Joseph
Dec 06, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: orthodoxy, religion
i'm glad that Fr Stephen Freeman has expanded his very popular blog post into this book. This treatise stresses the importance of knowing that God does not exist in some far away place "up there" but is instead here, present every where, filling all things.

Fr Stephen tackles the thorny issue of how the idea of "literalism" has plagued Western society, both among fundamentalists and liberals. His answer is that we are to look beyond the obvious meaning of things and instead viewing them as we do
Michael Clevenger
Jun 11, 2014 Michael Clevenger rated it really liked it
Excellent book from Fr. Stephen Freeman, Priest and blogger at Glory to God for All Things, on the distortion of truth in the gnostic dualism that makes up much of modern Christianity and our world today. One of my favorite aspects of this is his work on the theology of iconography. Great read.

Some quotes can be found here.
Jeffrey
Dec 18, 2015 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

I understand so many things much more clearly now. It's as though the missing piece(s) of the puzzle came from Freeman's hand, and the picture I had expected to be completed wasn't even close to what did appear...and thank God I was wrong. God in two storeys is an absolute travesty. God in one storey is reality. I pray this reality becomes clear to all who trust in God. Read this book.
Dan
Dec 28, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
This book did a great job deconstructing the secular Western "two-storey" worldview that many hold. The book was profound, although not as deep as other books I've read along the same theme, especially Newbigin's "Foolishness to the Greeks" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56...) and Wright's "Surprised by Hope" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23...). Still, it was an enjoyable read and a very short read.
Amy
Aug 20, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Bravo. What a fine, fine book and one that I would highly recommend. Father Stephen is a beautiful writer and this book moved me and helped me start to look at things with a different and better perspective. The chapters are quite short which I find to be a BIG help when reading Orthodox literature.
Alice
May 11, 2015 Alice rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read, which says a lot. An amazing, brilliant, approachable mind that has left me thinking on this issue for years. A must-read for folks who wonder where we came from and where we are going.
Stephanie
Apr 30, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
A good reread and good reminder that faith in God is not based on abstractions or simply remembering the Resurrection. It is real and unified us, the created, with the uncreated. Fr. Stephen says, "The world and all that is in it is given to us as icon."
Ariana
Apr 11, 2014 Ariana rated it it was amazing
I read this with the women's prayer group from my parish, and it works very well as a book to discuss. We didn't quite finish it before Lent started and life got busier, but I hope to finish it at some point.
Michael
Jan 29, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
If I want to reread a book, I think it merits five stars. This one is very clear and, as far as I can tell, accurate.
Lene Jaqua
Jan 31, 2014 Lene Jaqua rated it really liked it
A good sane read. I enjoyed it. Not much new info for me, but certainly a good review of the Orthodox basics.
John
Jan 09, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: orthodox
A wonderful book about the direct presence of God in our lives. Highly recommended. A short book which I read slowly over months to absorb.
Anam
Jun 08, 2012 Anam rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and amazing! I want to live in this one storey universe! This book will be my gift to friends and family this year.
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Luke Landtroop
Luke Landtroop rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Katherine A.
Katherine A. rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Jeremy Ard
Jeremy Ard rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“The legacy of our culture’s image-smashing (a powerful part of the Puritan world) is secularization—though now replete with its own images. If we fail to give a proper account of the role that images play in Christianity, the result will not be a Christianity with no images, but simply the dominance of cultural images and a subtle conformity to the world. The only image that needs to be discarded is the one we have of ourselves as God. We are not He. Worship God. Give honor to whom honor is due. It” 1 likes
“Christianity that has purged the Church of the sacraments, and of the sacramental, has only ideas to substitute in their place. The result is the eradication of God from the world in all ways other than the theoretical.” 1 likes