Start by marking “Business Stripped Bare” as Want to Read:
Business Stripped Bare

Business Stripped Bare

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,804 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
From its creation as a mail-order record company to the literal launch of Virgin Galactic, today Virgin is one of the premier 'way-of-life' brands in the world, trusted and enjoyed by many millions of people.

In Business Stripped Bare, Sir Richard Branson shares the inside track on his life in business and reveals the incredible truth about his most risky, brilliant and aud
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Business Stripped Bare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Business Stripped Bare

David McClendon, Sr
Book Review: Business Stripped Bare: Adventures of a Global Entrepreneur
By Richard Branson

I think the best way to sum up this book is “He gets it.” One would think that a well-known business tycoon like Sir Richard Branson would not have a clue about how a small mom and pop venture works. The writing in this book indicates that he does get it.
This book tells us some of the challenges that Branson has run into while being in almost every business imaginable. Branson’s Virgin Cola went up against
JK
Nov 14, 2016 JK rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There were a few raised eyebrows when I announced this was what I was reading next. Despite being a non-fiction hater, I have a business degree, and I manage a team. I bought this book back in the university days, read a few pages, then left it to languish on my bookshelf, always favouring the excitement of the fiction world over business facts and advice. I should have stayed there.

Branson is one of the main men in business today. Virgin is one of the most diverse brands on the planet - he has
Jeff
Apr 28, 2010 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He certainly has a different way of thinking from me. Or vice versa.

It is even in the way that he writes; almost but not quite perfunctory.

But while it is unlikely that I will start up a typical business, there are some absolute nuggets here, especially in the last chapter: 'Epilogue:Success'
'Success for me is whether you have created something that you can be truly proud of.' (See my son John and his family :-)

'What you are bad at actually doesn't interest people, and it certainly shouldn't int
Craig New
Apr 16, 2009 Craig New rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes his braggadocio drives me fucking mad, but at the end of the day I suppose he has a lot to boast about really. This read also came at an interesting time, when I was considering giving Qantas the flick for good after repeated shitty service, and if Branson's claims about the amount of money he's diverting from his airline profits into clean energy research are true then perhaps it's about time I made the switch. From a business perspective there was definitely a lot to be learned from ...more
Satya
Dec 28, 2014 Satya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Branson an iconic entrepreneur, founder of Virgin group - shares many inspiring and wonderful anecdotes from his life as an entrepreneur. This book spans from brand, delivery, innovation, entrepreneurship to social responsibility (well, they are actually chapters of this book). The take away from this book is that in business, as in life, one has to protect against the downside - and make a difference!

The brave may not live forever - but the cautious do not live at all....!
Chris
Apr 19, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, 2010
Good introduction to a fascinating individual. I'm intrigued by several things:

1) His admiration for Nelson Mandela
2) His varied interests
3) His take on calculated v. foolish risks
4) His take on entrepreneurs v. managers
5) His set of good practices including reading widely, reconciling with opponents, partnering with differently-skilled leaders.
6) His interest in doing well by doing good.
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Another great Branson book. The only thing I didn't care for about to book was the incredible detail about the business proceedings, but I'm sure that was a favorite of many.

Always inspirational. The really nice thing about Branson's writing is I feel he's sitting in the room with me talking to me.
Madiba Mashao
Very inspiring book. Changed my view on entrepreneurship :)
Justin Ritter
Sep 13, 2014 Justin Ritter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I enjoyed his view on business and the anecdotes about some of the ventures he started. Surely, if everyone was this engaged, the world might explode.
Will
Jan 14, 2017 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tons of value bombs. The last parts were dull because he mainly talked about philanthropy
Gopika Kesavaraj
Oct 14, 2016 Gopika Kesavaraj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lively !
Kemila Zsange
Dec 29, 2012 Kemila Zsange rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't expect a lot of business books to make me laugh, and laugh quite often, but Business Stipped Bare is such a book. There are so many people talking about the success of Richard Branson, but you want to learn from him inside out, don't you? So reading his own book talking about his businesses and success makes so much more sense than reading anybody else's take or analysis on his sucess.

It might surprise you what his success, according to HIM, is due to. One of the things that impressed
Shirin
Nov 11, 2013 Shirin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its too bad that the people who really need to read this, most often than not don't. The lessons about listening to the staff is something that management at all levels should put into practice. Here, we have an entrepreneur, who is a billionaire and is emphatic to the staff, and on the other hand we have salaried management,who behaves like the company belongs to his father.

There is much to admire about Branson, and I have been a fan of his world view, although not all of it, since reading his
Vincent
Jan 20, 2012 Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Les biographies de grands entrepreneurs peuvent être très enrichissantes mais s'avérer un peu arides à lire. Ce livre n'est pas une simple chronique un peu ennuyeuse mais une juxtaposition d'anecdotes sur certains moments clés de la vie de Virgin. Vous apprendrez comment Richard Branson en est venu à monter un label de disques alors qu'il n'était que distributeur à ses débuts. Vous verrez les combats épiques que les équipes de Sir Richard ont mené dans le domaine ferroviaire ou lors de la créati ...more
Bianca Smith
Richard Branson’s latest book, Business Stripped Bare, is like his global empire: positive, honest and challenging.

Through the 328 pages, Branson puts his teams and himself out as examples of what to do and, more importantly, not to do to be successful in business. He gives credit where credit’s due and names team members who have helped bring forth his amazing success and uses his own learnings in examples of where he thinks that he, and the Virgin Group, could have done better. Like the Virgin
Micaylah G
Jan 12, 2015 Micaylah G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs
It was a hard read for me. I'm not a business person nor did I major in it. But Richard Bransons Virgin brand is a unique and unusual business model. His concepts for everything he touches is quite "hands-on". I like that in a person who is a billionaire! The fact that he surrounds himself with brilliant people is not a new thing, but what is different about Sir Richard is that he listens! And then puts the ideas into action. Which sometimes has its drawbacks.

He is not afraid to talk about his f
James Nasipak
Nov 10, 2010 James Nasipak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been fascinated with Branson and his many business. This was a book written by Branson and gives the reader insight of how each business has been created, the implementation process for the business and finally how the business is managed successfully.

In reading the book, you discover that each company is based on what Branson calls "lifestyle brands". He looks to create and manage new business that are a part of lifestyle rather than to basis it on service. With that vision, Branson's Vi
David
Jun 03, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big admirer of Richard Branson and his business philosophy. I enjoyed this book because he doesn't lay out his philosophy on bullet points and lessons, rather, he tells stories.

At the same time, he goes into a little too much detail at times. When he describes his dealings with the Nigerian government, my eyes glazed over a bit. At this stage in my own business, it's hard to relate to the problems in replacing CEOs of various Virgin-branded businesses.

It does make for interesting reading
Pankaj
Jul 13, 2011 Pankaj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fascinating read from one of the most prolific entrepreneurs of our time. Branson does a great job of highlighting the social responsibility of business people. While he is a notorious self-promoter that has arguably created a brand identity based on his own personal marketing genius, his latest work gives readers a unique perspective on what drives the man and how he has created a multibillion dollar brand.

I think this is a must-read for any entrepreneur who wants who is either startin
David
Jul 19, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I've heard quite a bit about Richard Branson, but through this audiobook I had the opportunity to hear about him through is words and voice. It was a very thought provoking book. Three things he discussed which spoke to me are:

1. Small companies with tight leadership are most effective.
2. The importance of the people that work together to befriend each other so they can talk and share ideas with folks they care about.
3. It is easy to make something difficult, it's hard to make something simpl
Teron Gorefiend
Dec 01, 2016 Teron Gorefiend rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lehce atypická podnikatelská příručka, historie Virgin Group, deník miliardáře, vize i zpověď v jednom. Sir Richard Branson se nesnaží napsat příručku podnikání jako učebnicový text, takže z textu máte krásně uvolněný pocit toho, že si s tímto vizionářem a věčně usměvavým člověkem povídáte někde u táborového ohně při sklence piva, zatímco se griluje maso a kolem houkají sovy.

O to více se pod kůži dostane morálka Virgin Group, osobní postoje Bransona, na kterých je vybudovaná a důvody, proč je to
Chung Chin
As the subtitle of the book suggests, this is a book that talks about the adventures of Richard Branson. In this book, you can read about Richard Branson's passion for his company, colleagues and life.

As I do not have a full grasp of his adventures such as Virgin's attempt to acquire Northern Rock, I am not sure if the view presented in the book is a fair representation. However, reading through it, you'll no doubt want to root for Richard Branson and his Virgin teammates.

There are also some g
Adrien Caudron
Jul 21, 2016 Adrien Caudron rated it really liked it
Very entertaining book from a natural Entrepreneur

I enjoyed a lot reading that book, which depicts the life of Richard Branson and his major learnings and achievements until 2008. It is written in a slightly unconstructed style, so it goes from a topic to another one with no particular logic. Some will find this "décousu" painful to read but I found it fresh and entertaining. Most of the stories and lessons learned can be easily applied to oneself, which make this book an invaluable reading for
Missy
Dec 03, 2008 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! To have a successful business, first focus on helping people and doing what you love. The success of the business follows. He also speaks a lot about not letting fear keep you from doing the wrong thing. Make the best decision you can from instinct and then let it ride. It just goes to show of course you can be the best at customer service, quality product, and most importantly have fun doing it. Dream a big dream and your choices must reflect the intention to make the dream a realit ...more
Suresh
Jan 07, 2012 Suresh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only guy to have started eight different billion dollar enterprises from scratch. Great read for what he has achieved - though not such an easy read. Good to know what did not work and some of the biggest challenges that he faced. Also towards the end - gets really exciting - with all the work on the search for the fossil fuel probelm that we have started to face.

And he ens it by saying " If you ever fancy joining us as a partner in any of our endeavours to make the world a better place, ple
Ben Love
This one is part commercial for Virgin, part insight into Virgin’s composition and methodologies. It was interesting to find out more about how and why the Virgin brand and companies work, but it often felt as though Richard reverted to a pitch instead of an explanation much of the time. And in any other medium he should – he IS the brand. In this volume, it didn’t really work.
This book aside, Virgin is a brilliant example of business done right for the long term and deserves far more in-depth a
Lea
Mar 23, 2011 Lea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping to find innovative strategies to use in our business but was unable to uncover any in this book. I found it more boastful than inspiring. I realize it is not "instructional" but the lack of tactics or steps taken to arrive at success made it inpossible to feel inspired or motivated. I appreciated the empasis on doing what you care about and delivering exceptional customer service but would've appreciated more examples of how employees can be empowered or atleast what has worked for ...more
Hayesy
Aug 24, 2015 Hayesy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
68/100

A decent book from Branson, written in a really personal and informal way. This book is basically a collection of stories gathered from Branson's life in business, sorted into seven categories which form the chapters of the book.
Some of the stories he tells are intriguing and interesting, others, not so much. Unfortunately some of the less interesting ones took up large chunks of each chapter.

However, all in all there are some good bits of advice that Branson shares, especially in the la
Liz
Oct 27, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having had very little knowledge of Richard Branson prior to reading this, I was pleasantly surprised by his business ideals. I now feel that I need to check out the Virgin brand of companies to get a real sense of his/their business dealings. This is a good read and a good reminder to treat people well in business and also to refrain from doing things that you wouldn't want to read about in the newspaper tomorrow.
Jarkko Laine
Jun 14, 2009 Jarkko Laine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs
I listened to this book as an audio version while jogging. I loved listening to Richard himself read the book he'd written and share his rather personal findings about business.

I loved the way he describes business as the act of doing what you're passionate about, and how he doesn't measure success as money or power but positive impact on people's lives -- and doing the things he loves to do.

Recommended for inspiration.
  • The Millionaire Maker: Act, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • Co-Opetition
  • Execution Premium
  • No B.S. Direct Marketing: The Ultimate No Holds Barred Kick Butt Take No Prisoners Direct Marketing for Non-Direct Marketing Businesses
  • Scent of a Killer
  • My Orange Duffel Bag: A Journey to Radical Change
  • Call Me Ted
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • The High-Beta Rich: How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust
  • Against All Odds: My Life of Hardship, Fast Breaks, and Second Chances
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • The Entrepreneur Equation: Evaluating the Realities, Risks, and Rewards of Having Your Own Business
  • Donny Deutsch's Big Idea: How To Make Your Entrepreneurial Dreams Come True, From The AHA Moment To Your First Million
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
Sir Richard Charles Nicholas Branson is an English business magnate, best known for his Virgin brand of over 360 companies. Branson's first successful business venture was at age 16, when he published a magazine called Student. He then set up a record mail-order business in 1970. In 1972, he opened a chain of record stores, Virgin Records, later known as Virgin Megastores and rebranded as zavvi in ...more
More about Richard Branson...

“Throwing yourself into a job you enjoy is one of the life's greatest pleasures!” 36 likes
“You get the idea. Every business, like a painting, operates according to its own rules. There are many ways to run a successful company. What works once may never work again. What everyone tells you never to do may just work, once. There are no rules. You don't learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over, and it's because you fall over that you learn to save yourself from falling over. It's the greatest thrill in the world and it runs away screaming at the first sight of bullet points.” 19 likes